Next Week's Caribbean Cruising Could Be Messy

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

Here we go again.......just like every year.  Hurricane season gives the weather guys something to talk about.  No one else seems to care.  Ships find someplace to go.  We're sailing on June 5 and I wouldn't give the weather a second thought.  Now maybe the end of September might be a different story which is why we don't sail during that time.

No kidding!  Every year, the "experts" predict a higher-than normal number of very deadly hurricanes.  What we usually get is a normal season.  The "experts" then say, "Well, I guess we got very lucky this year that we did not have so many bad storms."  Then, once every 5-10 years, we have a massive, deadly storm that becomes a household name and the experts say, "See, I told you so!"

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Diver2014 said:

Here we go again.......just like every year.  Hurricane season gives the weather guys something to talk about.  No one else seems to care.  Ships find someplace to go.  We're sailing on June 5 and I wouldn't give the weather a second thought.  Now maybe the end of September might be a different story which is why we don't sail during that time.

I’ve sailed more than a few times in Sept with zero issues…my wedding anniversary is late in Sept.. 🙂

Actually would rather have a hurricane.  Have been diverted a number of times since 2004, but best one we never hit the scheduled ports and were out three extra days since Port Everglades was closed.  Next cruise shortened by three days.  Royal gave everyone on shortened cruise 50% back as  OBC and 50% back as FCC.  Lots of folks couldn't get to the port to board for that one, but lots of Florida folks got balconies for $400 total for four days.  Since they didn't have power at home there wasn't any point in going there - we had 400 extra B2B on that cruise.  Plus a covid-like sailing of 1000 people on a 5000 passenger ship.

5 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Actually the hurricane season is June 1- November 30, so just a bit early for that. 🙂 But your point is of course correct.  If at sea, the ships will just adjust their itinerary as mentioned and avoid the storms as much as possible.  This, however, just looks like a rain event - not likely there will be any changes to itineraries.

I know it officially starts then. But mother nature doesn't have a calendar or a union rep that keeps her from starting early. This is the second year the national hurricane center started forecasts on May 15. NOAAs is May 24. So both start in May. There have been several storms in May over the years. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, wayne_trisha said:

hope it rains here!! Damn yard is turning brown and the inground sprinklers are not keeping up!

Us as well.   Ughh...right now my fears are headed to possible wild brush fires!  😮 

4 hours ago, twangster said:

Breaking news - it will rain in Alaska this week and get a bit messy.  

In other news, rain is also expected elsewhere.  

Rain guaranteed in Scotland

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

If April showers bring May flowers, what do May flowers bring?

May flowers go in all the cruise cabins so, people can have a bit of extra, when they enter their cabin for their June cruise. 

5 hours ago, rudeney said:

No kidding!  Every year, the "experts" predict a higher-than normal number of very deadly hurricanes.  What we usually get is a normal season.  The "experts" then say, "Well, I guess we got very lucky this year that we did not have so many bad storms."  Then, once every 5-10 years, we have a massive, deadly storm that becomes a household name and the experts say, "See, I told you so!"

Not quite accurate. 2021, 21 named storms, 7 hurricanes, 4 major, 80 billion in damages, 3rd most active year ever. 2016-2020, 3000 lives lost and the costliest 5 year period on record for the US. No such thing as a normal hurricane season.

Having had boats and coastal property to deal with, I've followed hurricane predictions for The Gulf over the last 340 years.  And every year, the "experts" predict each year is going to be horrible, the worst ever, blah blah blah.  Every year, it's about the same as the previous one.  Yes, there have been some bad localized storms, but overall it's about the same.  These "experts" will continue to do this because it "sells newspapers".

7 minutes ago, rudeney said:

Having had boats and coastal property to deal with, I've followed hurricane predictions for The Gulf over the last 340 years.  And every year, the "experts" predict each year is going to be horrible, the worst ever, blah blah blah.  Every year, it's about the same as the previous one.  Yes, there have been some bad localized storms, but overall it's about the same.  These "experts" will continue to do this because it "sells newspapers".

I understand the hype that happens every year. Yes, the hype sells.  Happy you haven't had issues in the Gulf for the last 340 years 🙂 Seriously, I am glad you haven't had problems though. The facts speak for themselves however. Hurricanes don't hit an entire coast. The bad ones actually hit pretty small targets but it is devastating. Every single year bad things happen when hurricanes hit the US. Ive been thru and involved in 7 major hurricanes in just over 20 years. Maybe next major one to hit in the gulf you might want to volunteer to help and see for yourself? I'm off topic here so that's it for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oops! That was a really big typo!  Just subtract 300 and it's the right number!  🤣 I have dealt with a few hurricanes.  I actually slept through one on a sailboat tied up in a canal on the inland side of Orange Beach.  It was healed over so far, I slept on the wall instead of the berth. 

I just get aggravated when I hear that "the sky is falling" from people who claim to be scientists (meteorologists) and they always seem to have "evidence" showing why they are really right when they were actually wrong.  I look at these tropical predictions the same way as when I hear of a shark attack.  The odds of being attacked by a shark are ridiculously low, but every time one happens, the media is out in full force with hour-long specials about how this is a huge problem.  

The meteorologists who don’t subscribe to the “if it bleeds, it leads” mentality of journalism regularly make fun of the ones who are always over the top on every potential area of concern.  It is behind the scenes in chats or whatever, but they don’t like it either.

Mother Nature is very unpredictable and a storm being spawned is possible but, based on a long article by the Weather Channel, the most likely outcome is rain; possibly very heavy.  That can be dangerous but it does not have the cachet of a potential hurricane to the hype masters.

The meteorologists that I know work hard to get the forecast as close to perfect as possible.  Even with science, models, experience, etc. it isn’t as easy as it looks.  They want to present the people that receive the forecast the best one possible.

Mother Nature tosses them a lot of curveballs and no one really focuses on the correct forecasts.

• Like 1