Has Anyone Really Missed Them and Will Celebrity Bring Them Back?

Ipeeinthepools

I’m on my third cruise since the pandemic and I just realized there are no Port Shopping Guides.  No port shopping talks, no jewelry giveaways, etc. and I don’t really miss them.  Is anyone hoping the Port Shopping guides return?  I would trade 2 Port Shopping guides for 1 bar server.

Just now, Ipeeinthepools said:

... no jewelry giveaways, etc. and I don’t really miss them.

Effy were still doing them on the 'staycation' cruise we did around the UK in September last year...

6 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I’m on my third cruise since the pandemic and I just realized there are no Port Shopping Guides.  No port shopping talks, no jewelry giveaways, etc. and I don’t really miss them.  Is anyone hoping the Port Shopping guides return?  I would trade 2 Port Shopping guides for 1 bar server.

Just do some Google Maps research prior to your trip and type in the location "Diamonds International" and that should qualify you to be a Port Shopping Guide on board.😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

5 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

We heard they won't be doing the shopping guides on any of the Edge class ships because they want cruisers to purchase from the ship. 

I don’t know if there were ever port shopping guides on the Edge but there were guides on the other ships since the Edge started sailing.  I doubt Celebrity can provide the variety of items found in the ports.

• Like 1

After our first 2 cruises we stopped going to the shopping seminars and even a blind squirrel could find Diamonds International.

We did find a gift from Effy in our cabin in February on the Reflection.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The port shopping guides were not Celebrity employees. They worked for the stores and restaurants they were pushing. A few years ago in Alaska there was a lawsuit which resulted in Port shopping guides having to reveal this information so everyone would know that they were not unbiased recommendations.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The port shopping guides were not Celebrity employees. They worked for the stores and restaurants they were pushing. A few years ago in Alaska there was a lawsuit which resulted in Port shopping guides having to reveal this information so everyone would know that they were not unbiased recommendations.

Technically everyone on board an X ship is not a "celebrity employee" like shoreside.  All crew including Capt Kate are independent contractors.  Also Alaska state lawsuits don't translate to anywhere else like the Caribbean.  Usually someone on board presented the port shopping guide and gave everyone a shopping guide w/coupons.  Then when in port, you presented the coupon and that shop would provide the cruise line a kickback.

• Like 1

The times we cruised on X pre-pandemic, I do not recall any port shopping lectures. Or perhaps they had them, and we just ignored them. We know that such presentations are given from personnel of the stores and not employees or independent contractors of X. \these are like going to an “infomercial. We wouldn’t miss them, and wouldn’t go if they were given. 

23 hours ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I don’t know if there were ever port shopping guides on the Edge but there were guides on the other ships since the Edge started sailing.  I doubt Celebrity can provide the variety of items found in the ports.

For E-Class- What if the port built a D.I. on the dock that goes up and down to match the ship decks? A drive through Diamonds International and you could just go by in your Infinite Veranda and open your window and buy a nice ring or earrings?  Ha Ha.  Or to make it easier just align it with the Magic Carpet?🤣

• Haha 1

It seems like all the port shopping stuff went away some time ago. It's been a very long time since I paid much attention to port shopping stuff, but the last time I recall looking at a shopping map was several years ago. 

They may have been sending them out since then, though. The only reason I recall looking at that map is because I noticed that the Bernard K. Passman store wasn't on the recommended map in Grand Cayman. 

On 5/21/2022 at 11:19 AM, TeeRick said:

Just do some Google Maps research prior to your trip and type in the location "Diamonds International" and that should qualify you to be a Port Shopping Guide on board.😄

Well, I can hear the song of the Moissanite, but if you do this then you might miss all the great color changing crap at Del Sol!

23 hours ago, Dolebludger said:

The times we cruised on X pre-pandemic, I do not recall any port shopping lectures. Or perhaps they had them, and we just ignored them.

Heh, they were definitely there EVERY pre-pandemic cruise we went to. We may have gone to one, but usually I'd just do something else while listening with half an ear while it reran on the SR television. It was a start on knowing where I DIDN'T want to go. I also thought of it as a good way to get a map until I realized maps were free at every port anyway.

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

For E-Class- What if the port built a D.I. on the dock that goes up and down to match the ship decks? A drive through Diamonds International and you could just go by in your Infinite Veranda and open your window and buy a nice ring or earrings?  Ha Ha.  Or to make it easier just align it with the Magic Carpet?🤣

Actually it's kind of surprising that there isn't a Diamonds International on a boat at every port.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 8:09 AM, Ipeeinthepools said:

What?  We don't have to hear the phrase, "Diamonds International"?  YEAH!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, levramosis said:

Actually it's kind of surprising that there isn't a Diamonds International on a boat at every port.

Not that X has the highest vendor requirements (park west is pretty scammy, their pre-owned rolex's have aftermarket parts, their used handbags isn't always well advertised, etc) yet their requirements are still probably too high for DI.  DI is in business because they prey on those who do not do their due diligence and blindly assume "duty free" is a good deal.

On 5/21/2022 at 7:08 PM, NutsAboutGolf said:

Technically everyone on board an X ship is not a "celebrity employee" like shoreside.  All crew including Capt Kate are independent contractors.  Also Alaska state lawsuits don't translate to anywhere else like the Caribbean.  Usually someone on board presented the port shopping guide and gave everyone a shopping guide w/coupons.  Then when in port, you presented the coupon and that shop would provide the cruise line a kickback.

Not true, at least nautical and technical and most hotel officers have fixed contracts with the cruise line including paid vacation and other benefits. Ratings and people in shops and other service functions are contractors and are employeed with other companies so just assigned to a ship as contractors.

• Like 1

To be honest I never even noticed that they had gone away.   I'm sure many enjoyed them but I felt they were just a vehicle to steer passengers to stores that had paid  a fee to be listed.

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

Not true, at least nautical and technical and most hotel officers have fixed contracts with the cruise line including paid vacation and other benefits. Ratings and people in shops and other service functions are contractors and are employeed with other companies so just assigned to a ship as contractors.

Specialized crew can have benefits/perks including pay during rest, built in to their "fixed" contracts yet they are still independent contractors.