Should Princess Rebrand Itself?

pms4104

It really doesn't matter how Princess chooses to brand itself - what matters is how customers perceive Princess.  Some see Princess as premium and others see it as mass market.  My take is that the difference between mass market and premium has been shrinking.  There was once a very significant distinction - not so much any longer.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I generally break down the industry as follows (In terms of brands popular with US travelers):

Budget: Carnival, Costa, MSC

Mainstream: NCL, Princess, Royal Caribbean, P&O (both UK and Australia)

Premium Mainstream: Celebrity, Cunard, Holland America

Ultra Premium / Luxury Light: Azamara, Oceania, Viking

Luxury: Regent, Ritz Carlton, Seabourn, Silversea (and Crystal before they sadly went out of business)

Boutique/Expedition: American Cruise Lines, American Queen , Lindblad, Paul Gaugin, Ponant, Seadream, Windstar, etc.

yep - Disney is Disney

what about the 'new' Margaritaville Cruise Ship?

Margaritaville At Sea

Virgin?

Our Cruise Ships | Virgin Voyages

4 hours ago, turquoiselake said:

I'm probably in the minority but I have a marketing background and I think they should target families more. Not families looking for bumper cars and laser shows, but families like mine with older children (tweens and up) who are looking for a slightly elevated experience, educational excursions, and more than just a floating amusment park.

This shouldn't be a difficult pivot because they already partner with Discovery and Animal Planet. It's a great spot and I think they would really fit in well with.

I think that Princess is already doing this, albeit subliminally through its Jeff Corwin programming.  Those shows are well disguised and informative infomercials for Princess.  Couple that with the brilliant "Half the Price of a Theme Park" commercial and they really are doing exactly what you suggest.  And I agree that they should take the next step and up the ante of their onboard offerings for the age group they are trying to capture.

While this may be painful to accept, the complaints posted here by many loyal customers who have Elite status and are 65+ years of age are a direct result of Princess pivoting in the direction that turquoiselake suggests.  There is a see-saw effect whereby changes that are designed to attract and grab the 25-40 year-old tech-savvy customers may very well put off the 65-85 year-old Elites.  "We want to eat wherever and whenever, while wearing what we want" is incompatible with "We want Traditional Dining and country club formal attire."  "We want a high tech, interactive experience with AI and touchscreens" is incompatible with "We want Old World service."   As Princess pivots toward the two former statements, the people who love the latter two statements are going to come here and complain that Princess is going down hill.  But is it going down hill, or preparing for the future state?  The shift to attract younger cruisers who will be loyal for the next 40 years is going to come at the expense of the loyalty of certain others who only have 10 years of purchasing power remaining.  (NOTE:  It may be possible to merge the old with the new and still offer an analog experience that has Traditional Dining while still providing a digital experience with Dine My Way.  But Princess doesn't seem inclined to want to do this.)  

My daughter started cruising with Princess at age 14 and now at age 24 is fully hooked on the product it offers.  There were a few  awkward  years when she was too old for the Teen Club but not old enough for the adult nightlife.  But being who she is, she sought out and befriended others in those gap ages and did just fine.  I do think that Princess needs to work on bridging that gap.  But otherwise, she doesn't miss Disney Cruise Lines one bit and she doesn't consider rock climbing walls and ice rinks to be the sine qua non of cruising.  So I think that Princess' evolving format is attracting and grabbing people who will show loyalty for the next 60 years.  Perhaps it is not the same type of 24 year old who prefers Carnival or RCCL.  But the world needs choices and Princess is carving out a decent slice of the Mass Market.  More to come.  In seems that every decade brings more changes than the previous three decades combined.  Where Princess will be in 2035 is anyone's guess.   

• Like 6

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

yep - Disney is Disney

what about the 'new' Margaritaville Cruise Ship?

Margaritaville At Sea

Virgin?

Our Cruise Ships | Virgin Voyages

Margaritaville is not a traditional cruise in any sense of the word - more a gambling barge/party boat/ferry as they only go to Freeport and back and offer tie ins with timeshares most likely.  That said they would be in the budget category. 

I forgot about Disney & Virgin, but would place them both in premium mainstream. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

IMHO:

Carnival = Honda Civic

Princess = Honda Accord

Cunard = Lexus 

Lexus is a glorified Toyota. Therefore, should be more aligned with Toyota cars (not Honda).  LOL

Regardless.  I do see Princess' marketing as trying to attract a younger crowd.  An Ocean Navigator, who shall remain nameless,  boldly announced that the app is here to stay since "that's (technology) is the way it is now".  I didn't quite like her attitude.

My concern as a stockholder is the younger crowd doesn't have the days off to cruise for 100 days, let alone 2 weeks.  Princess really does need to assess who will sustain them on the long haul.  That would have been me.  Yes, I can do technology.  But don't care for many of the other changes.  

• Like 2

Can I just say that their recent prices have blown the competition out of the water on this side of the pond (UK). As a first time cruiser with Princess this July I'll be interested in how they compare with P&0 and Celebrity...I expect more P&0 reading reviews of late.

Anyway the price was too good to ignore so we'll dip our toe in the water and take things from there.  

Edited by doog442
  • Like 1

@cre8tiv1 I'm not concerned about younger workers mobility as many white collar younger workers are not tied to a desk. True my son is supposed to go in the last few days each month and last week quarterly. Works in SF East Bay, remotely from Phoenix this week. Hey its not really end of month right? He's not the only one working remotely. Grandson's BF is working in Monaco right now (nope supposedly in SF 🤫). And I know people working onboard now in the Sanctuary (well not exactly now but in a month).

Edited by Ombud

31 minutes ago, Musky Ike said:

Carnival = A pickup truck with a keg in back.

I could just like but this is spot on (according to my Carnival Cruises!!)

Ok. Honestly I will cruise on them again too. Just using up FCC 1st

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

My concern as a stockholder is the younger crowd doesn't have the days off to cruise for 100 days, let alone 2 weeks.  Princess really does need to assess who will sustain them on the long haul.  That would have been me.  Yes, I can do technology.  But don't care for many of the other changes.  

There are definitely those that can with adequate internet... which is exactly what I do, especially since my internet requirements aren't particularly stringent. (No streaming necessary; all documents and basic emails.) I don't think that's their long term plan though-- Princess'd really need to boost their consistency to make it work out, and I don't think they currently have the right lifestyle mix to sustain interest for most people in situations like that. On the other hand, with the rising interest in remote work, maybe they're trying to get out (too, too far) ahead of the crowd.

Having said that, Princess probably doesn't want me sailing with them anyways, since I've been a net expense for them, so... 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Lexus is a glorified Toyota. Therefore, should be more aligned with Toyota cars (not Honda).  LOL

Regardless.  I do see Princess' marketing as trying to attract a younger crowd.  An Ocean Navigator, who shall remain nameless,  boldly announced that the app is here to stay since "that's (technology) is the way it is now".  I didn't quite like her attitude.

Yes, I think you are right.....all the signs are pointing to that Princess is now going after that younger Medicare crowd......I think Virgin and others are going to capture the affluent 20, 30 and 40 year old market.

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Yes, I think you are right.....all the signs are pointing to that Princess is now going after that younger Medicare crowd......I think Virgin and others are going to capture the affluent 20, 30 and 40 year old market.

Many millennials have kids though which eliminates Virgin. Mostly all of my friends can work remotely, and those that can’t like me are in education and have summers and school breaks off. Plenty of time to cruise if we’re so inclined. I think Princess was by far the easiest to book and the technology is a real plus in my eyes. It would seem they have a real shot with the 30-50 year old demographic who want something a bit less flashy. I feel like that’s what they’re pivoting to. Hopefully they’re still able to retain the longtime cruisers. 

I asked in an Enchanted Princess Facebook group recently about activities for teens, and although I got many nice replies, some people were kind of surly about the possibility of kids on the cruise with responses ranging from “leave them at home” to “I hope I’m not on a cruise with children.” That attitude will probably have to change. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, voljeep said:

Disney is in a category by itself ... sorry

yes very expensive.

But Carnival has many tier pricing and they can be very sneaky expensive as well.

I find Princess to be reasonable.   But when I saw the headline for this thread, my first thought was about covid and the early days on various ships.  I though the OP was suggesting a name change from Princess to something else

10 minutes ago, turquoiselake said:

Many millennials have kids though which eliminates Virgin. Mostly all of my friends can work remotely, and those that can’t like me are in education and have summers and school breaks off. Plenty of time to cruise if we’re so inclined. I think Princess was by far the easiest to book and the technology is a real plus in my eyes. It would seem they have a real shot with the 30-50 year old demographic who want something a bit less flashy. I feel like that’s what they’re pivoting to. Hopefully they’re still able to retain the longtime cruisers. 

I asked in an Enchanted Princess Facebook group recently about activities for teens, and although I got many nice replies, some people were kind of surly about the possibility of kids on the cruise with responses ranging from “leave them at home” to “I hope I’m not on a cruise with children.” That attitude will probably have to change. 

The elephant in the room is a little something called school.  Before you dump the seniors overboard, how are you going to fill ships when schools are still in session?  Most of those younger parents are tied to the weeks when schools are out.  That will leave about 9 months each year that those younger families can't sail.  Alienating the seniors with more and more high tech doesn't sound like a good way to fill ships when the kiddies are in class.  JMHO.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

The elephant in the room is a little something called school ... doesn't sound like a good way to fill ships when the kiddies are in class.  JMHO.

Yes. 56% of that age group have or will have children. Leaving only 44% childfree 

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-millennials-birth-fertility-rate-declining-fewer-babies-2022-1

@mtnesterz he's 1/2 cockapoo 1/2 mutt / 21 lbs of talkative but not on Bart. Wears a thundershirt there and goes right to sleep

Edited by Ombud

8 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Princess isn't Premium. They are mass market.

What kind of premium line makes you do everything yourself?, ie. the Medallion 

Tipping is not indicated on premium lines. Pricing reflects that.

A check yesterday on a big TA site: NCL, MSC, Carnival, US$ 60/100 day

HAL, Princess 75/130 day.

Cunard, Celebrity, 130/200 day

Oceania, Azamara, 230 plus

Seabourn, Silversea,... If you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.

Well researched!

Cheers

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

The elephant in the room is a little something called school.  Before you dump the seniors overboard, how are you going to fill ships when schools are still in session?  Most of those younger parents are tied to the weeks when schools are out.  That will leave about 9 months each year that those younger families can't sail.  Alienating the seniors with more and more high tech doesn't sound like a good way to fill ships when the kiddies are in class.  JMHO.

But that is a constant for every cruise line including DCL and RCCL which are widely considered to be the industry leaders in family cruising. It’s not as if the mouse hibernates during those 9 months and the rock walls convert to pickle ball courts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

I see a difference between Carnival & Princess. Interested in a Cunard (QM2) cruise with my avatar

Everyone needs to decide for themself.  We did two cruises on the Queen Victoria, loved the ship, would go again on the Queen Victoria or sistership, the Queen Elizabeth.  Did one cruise on QM2, by comparison a disappointment.   Everyone says one needs to go on QM2 because Ocean liner vs cruise ship.  May be good for a world cruise but otherwise I will stick with a cruise ship, either QV or QE.  The cruise we did on QM2 we did a round trip between NYC and Quebec City Canada.  Took forever to get off and on the ship in ports, only one gangway.   I liked the layout of the cruise ships main passenger decks, nice flow from dinner to dancing and a show.  By contrast on the QM2, layout very odd, dance floor at far end of one deck, theatre at the other, we rarely went dancing after theatre as a result.  Sharing so you may consider in picking a Cunard ship. 

• Thanks 1

I personally think princess is clay compared to other lines.  I went on a day tour on a RC ship once prior to a cruise i had booked with them 6 months later.  I went home and cancelled and booked on Princess. We are in our early 50’s, Have cruisesd with Princess since in our 30’s and love it.  I like the fact that it’s quiet and either few or no kids.  I love kids.  As we are young grandparents.  But i prefer not to have children on my vacation. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pms4104 said:

For a very long time, even before Covid, Princess has branded itself as a Premium cruiseline.

Many comments on this board take aim at changes Princess has made:  cutbacks, the Captains Circle perks, the Medallion program, food selection and quality and preparation, policy enforcement (MDR attire and environmental compliance, for instance).

Is it time for Princess to reassess their premium brand?

Are these views from personal experience or from posts found on the boards?

I enjoy Princess very much. We sailed in September, along with 13 other sailings on Princess, and I find the food and variety great. Staff was wonderful. Only thing really missing was the chocolate on the pillow. You can opt to have room service just as in the past but we opted to have once a day. I really don't need my bed turned down.  We are leaving Sunday back to Alaska and are looking forward to the experience with all expectation that it may be short staffed but I'm on vacation so I can wait an extra 10 or 20 minutes.