Pre-cruise diet

georgiaguy

Hey there! We are about 3 1/2 weeks from leaving for our three years in the planning cruise. Got me thinking about some of those COVID lockdown pounds and just getting ready. I should add that I am not talking about get in perfect shape diet. I am talking about lose a few vanity pounds so you can gain them back. Just curious if anyone else does this and what your go to’s for this. 

Significant calorie deficit through diet + cardio to create a total calorie deficit of about 700 calories.

do that 5x a week and you should drop 1lb per week.  Admittedly I’ve been going a lot harder and dropped 1kg per week over 4 weeks

Edited by Seacrab

Yes indeed, we are with you on the pre-cruise diet strategy! We cruised a B2B on the Silhouette in Jan/Feb and sailed for 21 days (our longest stretch ever). Despite my well-intentioned thoughts of “I don’t need bread every night at dunner” and “I certainly don’t need dessert every night”…. We caved in our resolve and my husband’s phrase was “Why not?” (Like when asked if he wanted two scoops of ice cream instead of one)… but then we got home and got on the scale and my husband said, well I figured out “why not”, it’s because I put on 10 pounds!?! I put on about 5-6 pounds, and we intended to lose them right away when we got home and got back into normal eating routine. Well, kept putting it off, and our next cruise was approaching (in June), so we finally got down to business in the last three weeks.

Here’s what worked for us:

Our regular 6 days/week workouts, portion control on everything (& smaller portions on everything), locked-up our sweets/chocolate upstairs in an out-of-the-way drawer, I gave up potato chips, and dinner was just our meat and a salad (no starch) and definitely no desserts. Also, no midweek drinking. We just finally had the right level of determination and the allure of the next cruise coming, where we wanted to be down to our normal weight again so we have room to indulge again. Plus, we did it together, so there was mutual encouragement that was helpful.

Good luck, everyone! 😊👍🏻

• Like 3

We live a keto/low carb lifestyle for the most part, and fasting is easy for us.  We usually do a little more fasting before hand (say alternate day fasting for two or three weeks)...My husband is doing a 7 day fast before this next cruise, however my preference is to do that right after I get back which works as a great reset for me.  I wouldn't recommend doing long fasts like that, though, unless one is "fat adapted" through having lived a keto lifestyle for at least a few months and have worked up to it.  If you've never tried keto, that would be my recommendation for dropping some weight quickly!

• Like 1

just eat healthily, eat well, and burn more calories than you take in.

Avoid all fad diets. They dont work for most people and cause more harm than good.

And you can eat loads on the ship and still be healthy.

Swap all sugar drinks for sugar free. 

Easy

For every ‘bad’ thing you eat, eat something good to balance it out, such as salad, vegetable, protein, cheese, fresh fruit.  I am diabetic and when I do this I can keep my blood sugars and A1c in range.  I eat lots of salads and appetizers on a cruise, and I am fortunate that most of the desserts don’t interest me.  EM

2 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Starting drinking from 10am -11 pm , get into shape for the drink package 

if you not happy now with the way you look , it is to late to do anything in 2 weeks so drink and be happy 😉

This is good advice. I had to get my drinking tolerance back up so I'm not hung over every day lol. But that's how I gained the extra 7 lbs....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, sydbarrett said:

just buy bigger pants!

Dick Soloman diet 😁, 3rd rock from the sun 

Dick: My pants fit! I won the war!
Harry: Oh, that's great, Dick. So you lost weight?
Dick: Even better. I bought bigger pants.
Harry: Good thinking, tiny.

• Like 1

I've lost 45 pounds in the past 8 months or so, and am concerned about my 10 day on the Summit coming up.

I went on a cruise this past New Year's, and somehow managed to come home 2 pounds lighter than when I left. No clue how that happened because I had pizza, burgers, rolls, desserts, and wine almost daily, and did not go to the gym once. 😆I don't typically eliminate these foods entirely, but I don't eat them daily either. 

As someone else mentioned, I believe intermittent fasting definitely promotes weight loss.

Usually, my workouts are 6 days a week before a cruise for a month.  I have 26 days onboard this fall, but usually do not gain more than a couple of pounds, on a cruise, especially with my cabin at the aft, along with going to the gym regularly.  However, I always have an eggwhite veggie scramble for breakfast, fresh fruit and drink lots of water throughout the day; none of that changes on a cruise.  What does change is my variety of food.  I continually fight with the voice in my head that says "just go for it and everything will be okay."  "You are on a cruise and paid for whatever you want!"  

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, sydbarrett said:

This is good advice. I had to get my drinking tolerance back up so I'm not hung over every day lol. But that's how I gained the extra 7 lbs....

We have been working on that too!

• Like 1

I meant this thread more for fun but I should also mention, I am getting older and don’t have the body of a 20 yr old any more but I am happy with my body in general. If fact I ran a half marathon in under 2 hours just a few months ago partly training for it to keep in better shape. Now I just want to make sure I make room for all the delicious food and drink, because for me that makes life worth living.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

I meant this thread more for fun but I should also mention, I am getting older and don’t have the body of a 20 yr old any more but I am happy with my body in general. If fact I ran a half marathon in under 2 hours just a few months ago partly training for it to keep in better shape. Now I just want to make sure I make room for all the delicious food and drink, because for me that makes life worth living.

Oh I hear you! For me, 3-4kg means the difference between clothes firing comfortably or not, so I’m totally up for making a bit of extra space for all the enjoyment of indulgence!

ps: nice time on your 1/2!

21 hours ago, georgiaguy said:

Hey there! We are about 3 1/2 weeks from leaving for our three years in the planning cruise. Got me thinking about some of those COVID lockdown pounds and just getting ready. I should add that I am not talking about get in perfect shape diet. I am talking about lose a few vanity pounds so you can gain them back. Just curious if anyone else does this and what your go to’s for this. 

I always try not to gain weight on cruises.   So far, it works.  Here is my plan:

1) Limit alcoholic beverages to happy hour and dinner.  Also, stick to wine, no umbrella drinks loaded with sugar,

2)Lunches, stick with the salad bar or light food low in carbs and of course no sugar (no ice cream).

3)Exercise, either in the fitness center for at least 30 minutes a day or do a lengthy walk around the ship on upper deck.

4) Only one dessert a day (at dinner), 

• Like 1