How do you set-up your Cpap?

Yehootu

I've read about different power plugs that will fit in the european plug under the bed. I've been on Bipap treatment since 05/2016 and haven't missed a night. My fear is that one of those converters will fry my unit. After this cruise we realize we need a plug in the bathroom to power my wife's water pic so we'll need at least one for there We used a cord to and from bathroom this last cruise.. This is how I've come to wire up my unit. Next cruise is 28days so looking at other methods and realiable converter plugs. This setup worked very good, I used to just leave the cord under the bed but this way I can swap out chargers on the top plug.

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 7.49.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 7.48.31 AM.png

Edited by Yehootu

There is no need to worry about the plug adaptor harming your unit.  I have used a C-Pap on cruises for over 10 years and the most convenient place IS the plug in behind/under the bed.  I think you are talking about the 28 days on the Grand next March (we are on it with you) and any adaptor you get will work.  Main thing is looking at the plug for AC input 100-240 V 50-60 Hz and you are safe.  You will find the same wording on call phone chargers as they will work everywhere too with the adaptors.

• Like 2

I have use adapters on many cruises with my CPAP and never had any issues. I do bring an extension cord  in case the plugs are too far away. That has happened in some interior cabins

• Like 1

As others have said, you should be fine with just an adapter. We have used something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-Grounded-Universal-Adapter-Germany/dp/B007YKUWN4/ref=sr_1_8?th=1

If you have any concerns, make sure that your CPAP machine is dual voltage - most are. Just check the power adapter label and look for INPUT AC 100V - 240V (or a variation of that). If that's there, then you're set on the voltage end of things. 

1 hour ago, Yehootu said:

After this cruise we realize we need a plug in the bathroom to power my wife's water pic so we'll need at least one for there We used a cord to and from bathroom this last cruise.. 

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

I thought I read in another thread that @chengkp75 said that the bathroom outlets differ from the outlets near the desk in the cabin.  Maybe @chengkp75 could weigh in on this.

Depending on the Water-Pik you have, this may or may not work.  They are not all dual voltage and you have to check the current draw. See @chengkp75's post and other posts in the thread below.

I have used my cpap on my last few cruises including the Royal which we just got off of in May. We contact Princess (and we were also on Celebrity) ahead of time and they supply the distilled water for free. When you board just see your room stewart and he will supply the extension cord and whatever you need. He then runs the cord and tapes it to the floor for safety. They have all been excellent on either of these cruise lines in looking after me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lks said:

I have used my cpap on my last few cruises including the Royal which we just got off of in May. We contact Princess (and we were also on Celebrity) ahead of time and they supply the distilled water for free. When you board just see your room stewart and he will supply the extension cord and whatever you need. He then runs the cord and tapes it to the floor for safety. They have all been excellent on either of these cruise lines in looking after me.

I agree to everything you said.  But, if you are on one of the Princess ships with the European outlet behind the bed, it is much nicer to hide the cord behind the bed and not worry about having a cord running across the floor, even with tape.  

• Like 2

On most of the Grand Class ships (Grand Princess), there is an outlet by/under the bed.  This is the adapter I use.  It allows me to plug in my CPAP AND the night light (which also has a usb plug).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is how I handle my CPAP issues:

1.  CPAP (and all Apple devices) are dual voltage.  It will handle the power/adapter well.

2.  I place a collapsible stool (think Daiso) inside the nightstand drawer and place my CPAP machine on top of it. 

3.  Push comes to shove, there might be an outlet behind the television.  

I have never tried to use a 110 extension cord with the 210 power adapter.

BTW....which ship will you be on for 28 days?  I am only familiar with Grand Class ships.  

@JF - retired RRTwill give you lots of CPAP tricks and helpful information.

• Thanks 1

I use a dual adapter with the 220v European plug behind the bedside stand. That plug is normally used for the bedside lamp.

My adapter has both a US output and a European output. I unplug the lamp, plug in the adapter, and then plug both the lamp and the CPAP into the adapter.

No extension cords. The only problem is remembering to unplug your adapter and take it home after the cruise.

9 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

I use a dual adapter with the 220v European plug behind the bedside stand. That plug is normally used for the bedside lamp.

My adapter has both a US output and a European output. I unplug the lamp, plug in the adapter, and then plug both the lamp and the CPAP into the adapter.

No extension cords. The only problem is remembering to unplug your adapter and take it home after the cruise.

Disclaimer:  Window Suites may have a slightly different outlet configuration than other cabins on the Grand Class ships....lol

5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

On most of the Grand Class ships (Grand Princess), there is an outlet by/under the bed.  This is the adapter I use.  It allows me to plug in my CPAP AND the night light (which also has a usb plug).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SY5O5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is how I handle my CPAP issues:

1.  CPAP (and all Apple devices) are dual voltage.  It will handle the power/adapter well.

2.  I place a collapsible stool (think Daiso) inside the nightstand drawer and place my CPAP machine on top of it. 

3.  Push comes to shove, there might be an outlet behind the television.  

I have never tried to use a 110 extension cord with the 210 power adapter.

BTW....which ship will you be on for 28 days?  I am only familiar with Grand Class ships.  

@JF - retired RRTwill give you lots of CPAP tricks and helpful information.

We will be on the Crown.

32 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

We will be on the Crown.

I was on the Ruby (sister ship) and she had an outlet behind the bed in an interior cabin.  A little difficult to get to....but doable.  The Ruby did not have USB lamps.  Don't know about the Crown.  

AND...good luck with the Crown.  Hope your cruise will not be cancelled.

8 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

I agree to everything you said.  But, if you are on one of the Princess ships with the European outlet behind the bed, it is much nicer to hide the cord behind the bed and not worry about having a cord running across the floor, even with tape.  

This is EXACTLY what I do.  I HATE the extension cord run across the floor.  I find it hard to believe that this is Princess' "solution".  Have you seen that cord?  It looks like you could run a MIG welder connected to it!  It's CRAZY big in diameter.  I consider it a trip hazard...even if it's fastened down with duct tape.  You just have to be prepared with a European adapter and be willing to crawl around a bit on the floor.  Do it the first night...you're done for the rest of your cruise.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Yehootu said:

I've read about different power plugs that will fit in the european plug under the bed. I've been on Bipap treatment since 05/2016 and haven't missed a night. My fear is that one of those converters will fry my unit. After this cruise we realize we need a plug in the bathroom to power my wife's water pic so we'll need at least one for there We used a cord to and from bathroom this last cruise.. This is how I've come to wire up my unit. Next cruise is 28days so looking at other methods and realiable converter plugs. This setup worked very good, I used to just leave the cord under the bed but this way I can swap out chargers on the top plug.

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 7.49.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-16 at 7.48.31 AM.png

See post # 3 about the voltage.  I'm assuming your CPAP is for use in the U.S. so this works nicely.  IT IS NOT SURGE PROTECTED.  Yes, it is false advertising, but in our favor.  Surge protected devices are a lot more expensive.  I pull the bed away from the wall, pull the lamp plug out, plug the multi outlet in, plug the lamp and my CPAP in, push the bed back, no muss no fuss.  Both the European lamp plug, and the U.S. CPAP plug fit the all purpose plugs on the Multi Outlet.  I've used mine many times, on many Princess ships.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNRCOPC/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_8?smid=A3RLCN2TUIB9BN&psc=1

• Thanks 1

@2 cruises a year.  I am surprised that Princess has not confiscated your surge protector multi-outlet cord.  Princess took my simple IKEA one away (I had to go to the naughty room to open my suitcase.  I argued that it was NOT one...I lost).  Now I travel with documentation that it IS NOT a surge protector.  I realize you said that it was false advertising.  

Koppla Outlet.pdf

• 110V-250V Power strip/surge protector for worldwide use. Small, light and compact for travel (copied from your website link).
  • Built in Surge protector, portable, small size, and lightweight

Edited by cr8tiv1

30 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

@2 cruises a year.  I am surprised that Princess has not confiscated your surge protector multi-outlet cord.  Princess took my simple IKEA one away (I had to go to the naughty room to open my suitcase.  I argued that it was NOT one...I lost).  Now I travel with documentation that it IS NOT a surge protector.  I realize you said that it was false advertising.  

Koppla Outlet.pdf 385.03 kB · 1 download

• 110V-250V Power strip/surge protector for worldwide use. Small, light and compact for travel (copied from your website link).
  • Built in Surge protector, portable, small size, and lightweight

It is definitely not surge protected.  Nary a word about surge protection on it.  No reset button, nothing at all on it like a surge protector.  I keep it with my CPAP accessories, extension cord etc.  So far, never a problem.  I hope that you haven't jinxed me.  🙃 

12 hours ago, Jersey42 said:

Depending on the Water-Pik you have, this may or may not work.  They are not all dual voltage and you have to check the current draw. See @chengkp75's post and other posts in the thread below.

Also the bathroom outlet USA style outlet only accepts 2 prongs of equal size (not the polarized type with one larger plug or the three pronged type).

Photo from Royal Princess.

891229 082 12.29.14 Royal Princess cabin L115 - bathroom outlet DSC03876.JPG

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 2 cruises a year said:

It is definitely not surge protected.  Nary a word about surge protection on it.  No reset button, nothing at all on it like a surge protector.  I keep it with my CPAP accessories, extension cord etc.  So far, never a problem.  I hope that you haven't jinxed me.  🙃 

I hope that I didn't jinx you either.  I now keep my IKEA plug with my CPAP machine.  The funny thing is, they didn't say anything about my old fashion pink extension cord (not surge protector).  If you downloaded my IKEA plug,  you will notice that it had no surge protection markings either.  In the end, I did not need it.  This was confiscated by Princess Security on the ship.