on US$ ships what is the corkage fee for BYO wine

windsor26

According to our luggage labels for our Regal cruise in two weeks time it's $15 corkage where ever consumed on the ship for wines and champagne. The first bottle each per person is free obviously if consumed in your cabin.

• Like 1

So if HD and I bring 6 bottles (3each) we would pay $60 corkage? This might be a dumb question (am new to Princess) but do the bottles get labelled to show which were the “free” ones and which had corkage applied? What’s to stop us taking all of them to drink in public areas? 

Sorry, I don’t think my question was very clear. I understand we can bring one bottle per person FOC and that those bottles have to be consumed in the cabin, but if we then bring additional bottles we would pay corkage on them and can consume them in the MDR. My (unclear) question was will it be clear that corkage had been paid on the extra bottles? I have visions of being asked to pay again if someone thinks we’re trying to drink the FOC bottle outside the cabin. Or am I just overthinking it…? 😁

16 minutes ago, Martha1974 said:

Sorry, I don’t think my question was very clear. I understand we can bring one bottle per person FOC and that those bottles have to be consumed in the cabin, but if we then bring additional bottles we would pay corkage on them and can consume them in the MDR. My (unclear) question was will it be clear that corkage had been paid on the extra bottles? I have visions of being asked to pay again if someone thinks we’re trying to drink the FOC bottle outside the cabin. Or am I just overthinking it…? 😁

Yes, as they mark the extra bottles you bring onboard as corkage paid. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Martha1974 said:

Still showing on FAQs on UK site as $15, but I bet it won’t be for much longer! 

3 hours ago, Esprit said:

According to our luggage labels for our Regal cruise in two weeks time it's $15 corkage where ever consumed on the ship for wines and champagne. The first bottle each per person is free obviously if consumed in your cabin.

So if HD and I bring 6 bottles (3each) we would pay $60 corkage? This might be a dumb question (am new to Princess) but do the bottles get labelled to show which were the “free” ones and which had corkage applied? What’s to stop us taking all of them to drink in public areas? 

Princess is notorious for not updating FAQ's and sometimes other language on their website to reflect current realty and policy changes.  In our case, as guests, the Passage Contract is what rules the day and that document has been changed.  The new price is $20/btl and has been that way since sometime last year (I think it was when they started up cruising again or shortly thereafter).

• Like 1

What’s to stop us taking all of them to drink in public areas? 

As you have read, the bottles you pay corkage on are marked.  That said, once your "free" bottle has been opened and you take it somewhere with a couple of glasses, no one on crew is going to bother you not know if your were charged corkage or not.  I have had situations where we arrive at the terminal early enough that they didn't have wine table staffed at check-in.  So, they can just charge it off by each new bottle on board.  Once the bottle has been opened, they don't charge you again.

• Thanks 1

From the passage contract

• For Guests of legal drinking age, an allowance of one (1) bottle of wine or champagne (750 mL in volume or less) per Guest per Voyage may be presented to security during embarkation. A US $20.00 corkage fee will be charged should Guests wish to consumer their wine or champagne in the ship’s public areas.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Martha1974 said:

You can pour your FOC liquid into a different container (glass, thermos, old shoe) and drink it anywhere on the ship. What you can't do is bring the FOC bottle to a dining room...you would be charged.

Edited by JF - retired RRT
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You can pour your FOC liquid into a different container (glass, thermos, old shoe)

The general rule of thumb is that aged red wines go in old shoes.  Whites and recent vintage reds should be consumed from new shoes. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

The general rule of thumb is that aged red wines go in old shoes.  Whites and recent vintage reds should be consumed from new shoes. 😁

And flip-flops should be avoided at all times ...

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You can pour your FOC liquid into a different container (glass, thermos, old shoe) and drink it anywhere on the ship. What you can't do is bring the FOC bottle to a dining room...you would be charged.

True if bottle unopened.  However, if you bring the bottle to dinner after drinking half in your room, for example, you are not going to be charged corkage on the already open bottle.

Sorry… me again! Does the same apply if you buy wine at one of the port stops? We’re sailing France & Spain in Sept so thinking it might be easier to buy a bottle of local wine in each port and pay the corkage when we re-board the ship.  

33 minutes ago, Martha1974 said:

Sorry… me again! Does the same apply if you buy wine at one of the port stops? We’re sailing France & Spain in Sept so thinking it might be easier to buy a bottle of local wine in each port and pay the corkage when we re-board the ship.  

In general, they do not charge a corkage fee at the time you board with locally bought wine at a port.

However if you bring that bottle to a dining room you may get charged the corking fee there.

Supposedly the policy is that bottles acquired along the way will be held for you to be given back the last evening of the cruise, but this is not always done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Martha1974 said:

We have never paid a corkage fee on Princess. We also have never had our wind held when returning to the ship at any port. (it's almost as though you have to make them take it from you).

When going to dinner we just pour a healthy glass and carry it to the DR with us. Considering the amount of wine in a Princess pour these days, it's equivalent to about 1 1/2 glasses of wine each.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

True if bottle unopened.  However, if you bring the bottle to dinner after drinking half in your room, for example, you are not going to be charged corkage on the already open bottle.

I didn't know that...I don't drink alcohol, so had no reason to know.😖

Here is what I was charged for wine on the last 4 sailing on the Ruby out of San Francisco.  I usually bring 4 bottles for DW and myself.

11/27/21
2 @ $15 at the wine table during check in,  2 n/c for cabin use

1/31/22
2 @ $15 at the wine table during check in,  2 n/c for cabin use.
1 @ $20 for corkage at dinner in the MDR, I brought this unopened bottle from my cabin to the MDR so the corkage fee applies

4/16/22

5/30/22

HTH,
Rick 
  • Thanks 1

My experience has been the same as @symuisailing out of SF.  This month I also brought on two 750 ml bottles of Amalga distillery Gin and one 750 ml bottle of their single malt whiskey in Juneau.  Security  saw it in a bag that was wide open and did not take it. Many more times In the past I’ve brought on bottles of wine as well in port and not asked to pay corkage. 

One thing I have noticed in SF since the restartis they really do make sure you go to that wine table. Pre pandemic that table was never set up before 11:30 am.  Now it’s there when the first folks go thru security.  I’ve gone thru embarkation at SF once or twice a month since November with the exception of March. I’m prepared to pay the $20 but they keep charging $15. 

I don’t know if other embarkation ports are the same or different.  

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Thanks 1

We have been taking our own bottles of wine onto ship for years and paid corkage on any bottles over the first two (1 pp)

In the past our extra bottles had a label put on them to show we had paid corkage and we carried them on.  Earlier this year we took 12 bottles on our Transatlantic from Miami - they checked in the bottles near  check in and they were delivered to our room and corkage charged  to our account - no labels at all.   Everyone knew corkage had been paid.   We took bottles to the dining room, specialty restaurants and even pool bar when we were watching a movie.  No distinction between our two free bottles and corkage bottles.  They can be drunk anywhere.   It's a little awkward to have a dozen bottles along with suitcase and hand baggage, but well worth it if you have nice wines, since a $5 supermarket bottle is $30 on ship.    We have also bought bottles of wine while in a  foreign port for the day and had that charged to our account as we got on board.  Never been a problem, never taken away until end of cruise.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Esprit said:

My understanding is you can only bring one bottle on board per adult, which is free of corkage if consumed in your cabin.

But you can bring more than that and pay the corkage.

On 6/23/2022 at 11:21 AM, windsor26 said:

Thank you everyone for your replies  Sad that it is increased but still  in my opinion a good perk to bee able to BYO

Still the most generous BYOW allowance of any cruise line in this price range.

• Like 1