Alaska Cruise - Stopping in Canada with a Record

I am scheduled to go on a family vacation cruise from Seattle to Alaska and there is a half day stop in Victoria on the tail end of the trip. I am currently not eligible to go to Canada because of a DUI from 6 years ago. I have applied for Criminal Rehabilitation as well as a Temporary Resident Permit. Both are in process- CR seems unlikely due to turnaround time and that it hasn't been 5 years since my court probation ending; and TRP is still pending. 

Has anyone been in a similar situation? Will you be let on to the ship in Seattle? Do they scan your passport when you get on in Seattle OR only when you arrive to the Canadian port?

Can I just not get off the ship when we stop in Canada? I don't see an issue with me just staying on the ship while everyone else goes to shore. 

Any advice or guidance is greatly appreciated! 

Edited by PineappleJedi

You will not be denied boarding at the pier in Seattle.  The Canadians will receive a copy of the final ship's manifest before reaching Victoria, BC.  I don't know if they would tell the ship not to allow you off once arriving in Canada.  It's up to you to weigh the options.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, PineappleJedi said:

Will I be arrested on the ship? Or just denied entry? 

A friend of ours was informed by Canadian authorities that he couldn't get off at a port stop. (Quite a few years ago) If it is just Victoria, it shouldn't be a problem. And try not to stress over it, but I wouldn't plan future drive or fly entries into the country for a while. DUI's happen to all kinds of people. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PineappleJedi said:

Will I be arrested on the ship? Or just denied entry? 

You seem to be aware that an unresolved DUI is a basis for denied entry to Canada. Once you enter Canadian waters and dock at Victoria, you are in Canada without authorization.

So, are you asking " Can I get away with it?"   Maybe.

But you would be deliberately violating Canadian Customs regulation, a criminal act.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PineappleJedi said:

Do they scan your passport when you get on in Seattle OR only when you arrive to the Canadian port?

Welcome to CC.

If you present one, RCI uses it as the proof of identity to board, but you could board without one (assuming you are a US citizen - you do need an alternative). Canada never sees your passport, nor do you need to present it. Enjoy the trip but may want to stay on the ship in Victoria.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Interesting that DUI is a disqualifier. Do they think you're immediately going to rush out, rent a car, then go right to the bar for a binge session?

Both countries can be pretty unforgiving for what many consider to be minor infractions.  Lots of unfortunate stories trying to get into the US from Canadians too, even for a short vacation.  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

If you present one, RCI uses it as the proof of identity to board, but you could board without one (assuming you are a US citizen - you do need an alternative). Canada never sees your passport, nor do you need to present it. Enjoy the trip but may want to stay on the ship in Victoria.

Not sure about all that. Our daughter in law had the same problem, everything seemed OK until she was denied boarding at the checkin counter at LAX.  Lax was unforgiving, she was not allowed to board or get a refund. She and her husband also lost their cruise fare.  This was 2019 LAX to Vancouver.  Her DUI was from 2010.

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

That is a big difference and circumstances from the OP's itinerary.

Yes... LAX is an airport. Airports do much heavier screenings. It sounds like this example was someone flying into Canada (likely Vancouver) for a cruise departing from Canada. While there are tons of articles online from Canadian law firms that are very scary, take a look at what the spokesperson for Carnival Cruises said in a Facebook post just 2 months ago (screenshot I took today). Also, check out this link, which shows an infographic with likely result being stay on ship, for cruises that do not start or end in Canada, but simply visit a Canadian port: https://www.duicanadaentry.com/infographics/canadian-cruises-and-inadmissibility-infographic/

Carnival Seattle Canada cruise.PNG

16 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Welcome to CC.

On 7/4/2022 at 10:51 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

You will not be denied boarding at the pier in Seattle.  The Canadians will receive a copy of the final ship's manifest before reaching Victoria, BC.  I don't know if they would tell the ship not to allow you off once arriving in Canada.  It's up to you to weigh the options.

But you have to upload a copy of your passport or similar ID to ArriveCAN and get a QR code 3 days prior to boarding the ship in Seattle and present that QR code for embarkation. 

I would suspect that when Canada is processing your passport, you may be flagged and you will not have the ArriveCAN documentation required to board the ship in Seattle. 

Edited by BirdTravels

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

I would suspect that when Canada is processing your passport, you may be flagged and you will not have the ArriveCAN documentation required to board the ship in Seattle. 

@PineappleJedi can try this now with fake info to see if it's approved - that should clear up the matter.

On 7/4/2022 at 7:57 PM, Coralc said:

A friend of ours was informed by Canadian authorities that he couldn't get off at a port stop. (Quite a few years ago) If it is just Victoria, it shouldn't be a problem. And try not to stress over it, but I wouldn't plan future drive or fly entries into the country for a while. DUI's happen to all kinds of people. 

Doesn't Make it right..especially in this Day and age...

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

But you have to upload a copy of your passport or similar ID to ArriveCAN and get a QR code 3 days prior to boarding the ship in Seattle and present that QR code for embarkation. 

Edited 8 hours ago by BirdTravels

While Canada requires ArriveCan, it is up to the individual cruise lines on how they enforce compliance of their passengers.  Carnival demands proof of completion (QR code) at the front door of the terminal.  Other cruise lines with a higher rate of voluntary  compliance will send forms to passengers while on board requesting they record/report their 6 ArriveCan digit number code.  I have heard other cruise lines will check for the QR code as you try to leave the ship in Victoria. 

ArriveCan is a public health registration.  It is not a travel visa or criminal data collection system

My partner got a DUI several years ago. In 2019, we did a HAL Alaska cruise RT from Seattle that stopped in Victoria. We had no problems boarding the ship in Seattle. We did some research prior to the cruise and found examples of people with DUIs who were paged to Guest Services after the ship docked in Victoria and were told that they were not allowed to disembark in Victoria. We chose to stay on the ship in Victoria and he was never paged to report to Guest Services. Granted, this was before Covid, so I have no experience with how ArriveCan might affect it. 

Edited by mousemom11
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

While Canada requires ArriveCan, it is up to the individual cruise lines on how they enforce compliance of their passengers.  Carnival demands proof of completion (QR code) at the front door of the terminal.  Other cruise lines with a higher rate of voluntary  compliance will send forms to passengers while on board requesting they record/report their 6 ArriveCan digit number code.  I have heard other cruise lines will check for the QR code as you try to leave the ship in Victoria. 

ArriveCan is a public health registration.  It is not a travel visa or criminal data collection system

Also- from many cruise threads (not related to DUI), most cruisers do not do the ArriveCan app until they get to the port. And some not until they are trying to board. The app itself says that it cannot be used until within three days until the moment of entry. It does not say that it has to be 3 days in advance. One suggestion might be for the original poster to use drivers license/birth certificate for registration with the ship, and wait until just before boarding to use the ArriveCan app.

Edited by imobannon

Thousands of U.S. travelers have already sailed this season on Alaska cruises that went through Victoria, and there are no google/youtube personal stories of this happening. There are tons of websites for Canadian law firms, but no personal "I was prevented from boarding" posts or videos. In the age of youtube/facebook/insta/CruiseCritic/etc, there would be hundreds by now. Apx 2% of the U.S. population has had a DUI or other arrest that would be vulnerable to Canadian immigration law. 3000 people per ship. 10 ships per week. 5 month cruise season. ??? No personal stories on social media about getting refused entry.

I think the original poster is gonna be fine.

• 6 months later...

Hey! I am wondering what ended up happening on your cruise? My bf and I both have previous DWI's from over 10 years ago and we are wanting to go on an Alaskan cruise this Fall. Its round trip Seattle but stops in Victoria. Any information is greatly appreciated!! Thank you!