Limiting ability to charge on a seapass

11 hours ago, CruiseWendy said:

When you do the check in you have the ability to add a credit card to each passenger. Just don't add a credit card to his account and his seapass card will not able to do any purchases.

I don't think this is the way it works. I think with no credit card on file, it reverts to a cash account.

OP - How responsible is your teen? When our kids were with us, we set daily limits for them and they were told they were not allowed to go over those limits. If they did, there were consequences.

• Like 1

Although my girls are almost 40 now, we've cruised with them many times when they were children.  We NEVER put them on our cc.  If they wanted something, we purchased it for them.  Never had surprise charges.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 8:08 AM, cello56 said:

Beware of the arcade. Spending restrictions might not be in effect there. I have heard of kids ringing up ridiculously high bills spending time in the arcade. 

Max is $50 per day in the arcade.  At least it was when we were on Oasis in June.  

Our 5 kids always had charging privileges when they were old enough to be on their own, if they bought something they paid us back. They had charging privileges on other vacations and we’ve never had any issues.

13 hours ago, CruiseWendy said:

When you do the check in you have the ability to add a credit card to each passenger. Just don't add a credit card to his account and his seapass card will not able to do any purchases.

No, then the card would be considered a cash account and a $500 line of credit will be granted. 

1 hour ago, sadiwest said:

Max is $50 per day in the arcade.  At least it was when we were on Oasis in June.  

It was same this week on Harmony.  My son told me his sea pass was no longer working, and when we checked, he had hit the $50 limit for the day.  The next morning it was working fine.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I don't think this is the way it works. I think with no credit card on file, it reverts to a cash account.

OP - How responsible is your teen? When our kids were with us, we set daily limits for them and they were told they were not allowed to go over those limits. If they did, there were consequences.

^^^^good job. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

Although my girls are almost 40 now, we've cruised with them many times when they were children.  We NEVER put them on our cc.  If they wanted something, we purchased it for them.  Never had surprise charges.  

Times have changed since 25 years ago. 

Teens run in packs on the ship and there is a lot of peer pressure to spend money. Other than a diamond ring, there was little to purchase 25 years ago. Now there is ice cream, shakes, candies, drinks, arcades, and more. 

Just now, BirdTravels said:

Teens run in packs on the ship and there is a lot of peer pressure to spend money. Other than a diamond ring, there was little to purchase 25 years ago. Now there is ice cream, shakes, candies, drinks, arcades, and more. 

A teenagers certainly old enough to know what they can purchase, most have bank accounts and debit cards, and congregate on land with friends and major spending opportunities (eating out is a huge teen expense).

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

All the greater reason to teach personal financial responsibilities 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

A teenagers certainly old enough to know what they can purchase, most have bank accounts and debit cards, and congregate on land with friends and major spending opportunities (eating out is a huge teen expense).

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

100% agree. There is no reason to try to restrict one of the sea pass cards. The first "unauthorized" charge, the kid is restricted to the stateroom for the rest of the cruise. We always had "ground rules" with our kids and they, for the most part, never deviated. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Some adults should practice what they preach. Whenever the subject of the drink package is worth it, you’ll see not having any surprises on their bill if they have more drinks than they budgeted for.

11 hours ago, Surfguyxxx said:

You can restrict purchases while onboard and you can buy arcade cards with certain amounts on them ($10, $25, $50 etc).  Look in your cruise planner for those.  

Are these separate cards?  For some reason I assumed that they would get attached to an onboard account.  I think it would be great if I could get my kids arcade cards to avoid them losing track of their spending in the arcade.

9 minutes ago, gluecksbaer said:

Are these separate cards?  For some reason I assumed that they would get attached to an onboard account.  I think it would be great if I could get my kids arcade cards to avoid them losing track of their spending in the arcade.

No, not separate cards, the credits are pre-loses on the sea pass card. Usually there is a small financial incentive to pre purchase. 

19 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

No, not separate cards, the credits are pre-loses on the sea pass card. Usually there is a small financial incentive to pre purchase. 

Thanks.  That's what I thought, but the previous phrasing had me hopeful.