The Fleet Report and Daily for Saturday July 16th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Fresh Spinach Day, World Snake Day, and National Woodie Wagon Day

The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.--Isaac Asimov

Meal Suggestion for today - Chicken Florentine Casserole
Drink of the Day - Mango Cran Tini
Wine of the Day - Castello dei Rampolla 2018 Chianti Classico
Destination of the Day - Whittier, Alaska, US

Eurodam

Seattle, Washington 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 07/17

Nieuw Statendam

Copenhagen, Denmark 07:00 - 17:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Whittier, Alaska eta 07/17

Oosterdam

Trieste, Italy 07:00 - 16:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Amsterdam, Netherlands North Holland eta 07/17

Westerdam

Victoria BC, Vancouver Island, BC Canada 18:00 - 23:59

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Reykjavik, Iceland eta 07/18

Zuiderdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0716World.thumb.png.4d0987cff675841597ac356fa9397b3c.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 8

Good morning.  Happy Saturday.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

It's going to be a hot weekend here.  I've got some laundry to do, I'll hang it outside to dry, it won't take long.  The lawn needs to be cut (okay, the tall weeds in the lawn need to be dealt with) but hubby will wait until evening when it's a little cooler to do that.

Interesting days.  I love a spinach salad, but it's bad for kidney stones, so we don't eat a lot of it in our house.  Snakes are wonderful, in someone else's yard.  Woodie Wagons are great - so nostalgic.

That quote is too true.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to the recipe. 

I'd love the drink.  I'm sure I'll like the wine too.

Thanks for the pictures, I've never been to Whittier.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.  Stay safe.

• Like 33

Thank you for the Saturday report Rich.  Not a fan of any of today's day but that's just me.  I love the Azimov quote.  Been to Whittier just once, on the Alaska ferry Kennicott.  Not sure about the meal.  My alternative is Classic Caesar Salad, and Ziti with Prosicutto and Lemon Olive Oil as served on MS Rotterdam VI July 16, 2011.

Today’s care list:

RIP Buddy 7/13/22
RIP Nora Brown of Howick QC, 7/11/22
HAL Sailer DB with severe covid
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (6/24)
Camila and mom with covid
Mamaofami son with covid
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining
From the rotation:
Tana with persistant cough
HAL Sailer DH Nephew Curt undergoing rehab after serious mowing accident
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Seasick Sailer in Hawaii
Great bitthday celebration for Cunnorl DS
Cruisin Single with sister to 7/28
Volendam caring for refugees
HAL Sailer Nephew Curt doing much better
0106 covering menu suggestions until 8/1
Welcome home ski ww
1 day for dfish (Rotterdam 7/17 to 7/31) and Gail&Marty (10/15)
Bon Voyage Vict0riann  (Nieuw Statendam (7/16 to 8/9)
dobiemom (Rotterdam to 7/17), RWSBADGER (Noordam to 7/17), and  luvteaching (Westerdam to 7/17) and Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13)  at sea
Vacationing Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 12

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida.

Interesting quote and probably true.

The meal is something I would like to try.

We have been to Alaska but not Whittier.

Cameron Smith is leading the British Open at 13 under par. Tiger failed to make the cut but the fans gave him a nice thanks for the memories ovation as he walked up the 18th fairway. It wouldn't surprise me if sometime soon he announces his retirement, he had a noticeable limp and he is fortunate he didn't lose his leg in that horrible accident last year.

Saturday mornings are for breakfast at our favorite diner, usually a Western Omelet for me.

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 35

Good afternoon.

It is currently 66°F and sunny with a high of 72°F expected later.

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich and Roy for keeping all of the various lists.

Interesting days.

Spinach has many health benefits not just what Popeye shows on TV.

We don't see many snakes in the UK but I'm sure some people will see lots of them and either love them or hate them.

The quote sounds true.

I hope everyone is safe and well and have a great weekend.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220716_115130.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for our Saturday Daily, Rich.

Love spinach and snakes (from a distance).  I love that quote of Asimov’s.  It is so true.  today’s meal sounds good - looking forward to hearing what Tina @0106 has to say. 👍 

Looks like it should be another nice day so the garden will be calling (again).  The monkshood out front has just started to begin to bloom but the one in the back yard is bursting with growth & bloom.

0220639C-E890-43F6-8996-3EDAAA6A9033.thumb.jpeg.366b3af92622ed3eb081b85599b305b4.jpeg

I can’t believe how tall it is this year 😱 

Just when I though I was starting to get somewhere - I found more clothes and books in a closet - OMG.  I don’t think the upstairs will ever get sorted and tidied up at this rate 😔  

I know acronyms can be confusing so just to be clear when I say TGIF - I mean Thank God It’s Friday - not this:

52564F98-16B3-44D1-AA03-412DD29DB934.jpeg.e25ccf8708be4a95643c733043a25147.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone !!!!!

296902CF-D410-4A55-85FA-95D68FEDB922.jpeg.9d18e3ba3cdae8e616bebf4d5e76a2ac.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed

• Like 38
  • Haha 5

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report and lists.  I really like spinach, snakes 🐍 from a distance.  Woodie wagons are so cool.  Isn’t today’s quote the truth.  The meal suggestion, drink and wine all sound delicious.  I haven’t been to today’s port and look forward to seeing the photos. Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events. ☀️

• Like 26

Chicken Florentine, Eggs Florentine, Sole Florentine, Quiche Florentine, even Florentine cookies—they all have one thing in common: They do not come from Florence. It's rather misleading, but so often you see these recipes mistakenly described as Italian, when in fact, they are French dishes simply named after someone Italian, the fourteen-year-old Catherine de' Medici, great-granddaughter of Florence's influential Renaissance ruler, Lorenzo the Magnificent, became the wife of France's Henry II in 1533. Legend has it that she brought her entourage of Florentine cooks with her to Paris.

The term "Florentine" is especially used in the presence of spinach. The dark leafy vegetable was grown in gardens all around the Tuscan capital during her time. It is said that spinach was her favorite vegetable, and she brought some with her to Paris, along with other Tuscan produce such as olive oil, white beans, artichokes, and figs. One (Italian) story claims that she insisted on spinach being included in every one of her meals. Whether it's true or not, this vegetable is so connected to the Florentine queen that any dish with spinach in it is still known to the French as "Florentine-style."

I wanted to start out with a “traditional” recipe that uses canned mushroom soup. Thoroughly draining the canned spinach is important; you could use frozen spinach too.  I see no reason why you couldn’t vary the cheese.  I’d serve this with a side of mashed potatoes but or rice would work too.

https://www.food.com/recipe/chicken-florentine-casserole-143598 

Chicken Florentine Casserole created by Swirling F.

Happy Fresh Spinach Day!  I cook with fresh ingredients and avoid processed and canned food. This is the recipe that I would use, homemade sauce, fresh mushrooms and spinach.  I could have this on the table in less than 30 minutes.  https://foodtasia.com/chicken-florentine/

pan with Chicken Florentine

I’ve noticed that there are several Dailyites who are watching their carbs. This is a good recipe for you.  It only has 5 ingredients and looks very easy to prepare.  It subs a mayo/sour cream mixture for the canned soup.  Instead of poaching the chicken, I would probable just get a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store.  This would be nice served over mashed cauliflower.

https://lowcarbyum.com/quick-and-easy-chicken-florentine-casserole/  

closeup of cassserole serving.

Here is a “healthy” chicken florentine pasta dish, 8 grams of fat and 315 calories per serving.  Low fat cottage cheese is used for creaminess.  Whole grain pasta with more fiber and nutrients provides healthier alternative to regular pasta. Garlic, olive oil, nutmeg and oregano provide a flavor punch.  Serve with a side of salad or your favorite green vegetable.

https://skinnyms.com/chicken-florentine-casserole-6/#wprm-recipe-container-526913 

Rich-Creamy-and-Healthy-Chicken-Florentine-Casserole-Photo-1-750x500.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 16

Good morning friends!  Well, I had a rough night last night.  I couldn't fall asleep, and my leg was hurting again.  I had luckily had an easier time of it for several days and I was encouraged by that.  But last night I was awake until at least 3 am.  Therefore I slept past my usual wake up and exercise time of 6 am.  DH agreed I should take the morning off and he went downstairs to exercise instead.  I guess I will spend more time with the heating pad and take some Tylenol and see if that helps.

Thanks Rich for the Daily!  Spinach I prefer fresh rather than cooked.  Snakes scare me, and I think woodie wagons were a unique type of vehicle in our past.  Imagine thinking sheathing a car in wood to be a great idea.  Maintenance on the exterior must have been a real pain.  Today's quote is a good one, and the casserole for the day looks tasty.  Thanks for the recipes @0106.  Whittier, Alaska was a previous port of the day on Sept. 9, 2021.  We went to Whittier twice.  In 2009 we did B2B 7 day Alaska cruises roundtrip Vancouver so had turnaround day there.  Then in 2010 we ended up there after an Asian cruise that began in Bangkok (Laem Chabang).  So we just got on a bus and headed to the airport to fly home.  I only have a couple of pictures so I'll post those next. 

Thanks Roy for the lists today.  Prayers for our members and family on the Care list.  I checked the weather and it will be 96F this afternoon when the burial takes place so I hope the graveside prayers are short and powerful.  Prayers for strength and comfort to Amy and her children.  The Celebration list is great, and we of course want to give a shout out to our friends cruising.  Hope the sun is out and the seas are calm.

There isn't much to see in Whittier as you can see.  I checked and the population of Whittier is about 205 people (2020).  The entire town lives in the high rise building seen in the photos.  They have grocery store and other services in the building itself so they don't even need to step outside most of the time.  I would assume the majority of the people work at the harbor with ships coming in or boat charters or fishing.  

This is what the town looks like in May with the snow still on the mountains.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLq1jzKwglVfC8qdCSnrzVS4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011392

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIYO6y_QvHyVBu4xSIJAXZwV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011387

Like I said before on the 2010 trip we were heading to the airport so this is about all we saw.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKJY_LCb4xovP0hX--QNyzY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011386

I'm not sure what this building is but it looks like it would work great as a restaurant and hotel.  I wonder how many people actually come here to spend the night though?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIq2I0V3_k3qtoS0T7LXoyo4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011397

This photo was taken Sept. 12, 2009 on our B2B.  Notice the lack of snow.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIu16TT94kF6i0Bol3eKrGL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188336

The high rise residential building00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJCPoNg8ZBdAjATm-0RyemY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188339

Rainy weather is common here.  In this photo you see the road from Anchorage and even buses coming toward the ship with new passengers ready to embark.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLJ1jIpuZwa8O-_Ni835HWx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188345

The mists which are probably common here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ3HUI9vRCzuIu5-XSWqDd8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188349

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrrzDOxlFw_KR1qbKQzmcT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188356

A truckful of luggage coming probably from the cruise line hotel in Anchorage.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI1HIxnoTpdi-nP6HZ6gccS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188362

If anyone has actually gotten off the ship and walked around the "town" please enlighten us as to what you have seen.  I would love to know, and if I ever get back to Whittier I'll get off the ship even if it is raining.  I promise!

• Like 30
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! My visitors have left & my house is very quiet. They should just be arriving at Jacksonville airport about now. I know I have missed lots of celebrations, so I can only wish you all had a blast. 

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy! Morning Dailyites. Lots of house chores today, but I will squeeze a Zumba class in. Then dinner at a friend’s this evening. I might squeeze a nap in. 

The girls had fun on the long drive with picking out our memes. I admit I am out of touch with kids cartoons. Lyla had to explain some of the memes to me. 😎

F765503E-2764-4104-A155-F019546D1223.jpeg.81c003c53d132d90a3bca5e0928863f6.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Castello dei Rampolla 2018 Chianti Classico

This wine sounds lovely. Blackberry AND chocolate! And it is widely available with prices starting at $29.95.

Winemaker Notes

Bright ruby red color. The bouquet on the nose is intense, with rich cherry and red berry aromas and leafy undertones. On the palate it is silky, balanced, with medium body, refined tanning and a long flavorful finish of blackberry and chocolate. 

Ideal with red grilled meat, like Bistecca Fiorentina, and semi to well-aged cheeses. 

Blend: 90% Sangiovese, 5% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Franc

WE94 Wine Enthusiast

Black-skinned fruit, new leather, tilled earthy and blue flower aromas mingle with camphor on this fragrant, enticing red. Fresh and savory, the elegant, full-bodied palate doles out ripe black plum, juicy Morello cherry, licorice and tobacco alongside polished tannins that give it a velvety texture. Fresh acidity lends brightness and balance. Best After 2022

JS93 James Suckling

A wonderful young Chianti Classico with aromas and flavors of black cherries, dark chocolate, wet earth and black truffle. It’s full-bodied with creamy and juicy tannins and a long, flavorful finish.

V93 Vinous

The 2018 Chianti Classico is fabulous. Deep, rich and super-expressive, the 2018 captures the essence of the house style, with a dollop of Cabernet Sauvignon that adds both complexity and structural intensity. Black cherry, plum, licorice, lavender and dried herbs are kicked up a few notches. This is an especially rich style for the year, but it works so well.

RP92 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate

The Castello dei Rampolla 2018 Chianti Classico shows some softness and extra ripeness with dark fruit and plum followed by savory smoke and spice. This wine is an expression of the one and only Panzano in Chianti, a promising subzone in the larger Chianti Classico appellation with panoramic views awash in soft golden light at the end of each glorious day. To the palate, the wine delivers rich, mid-weight intensity with more textured and succulent flavors to follow. This wine is just lovely, especially when tasted right out of the gate when those cherry and blackberry tones are at their brightest.

• Like 30
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 4

Mango Cran Tini cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Pinnacle® Mango Vodka
1 part DeKuyper® Vanilla Schnapps Liqueur
4 parts Cranberry Juice
Cherries

Instructions
Shake with ice and strain into a chilled martini glass. Garnish with a cherry.

Screen Shot 2022-07-16 at 8.11.19 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 8

42 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  Well, I had a rough night last night.  I couldn't fall asleep, and my leg was hurting again.  I had luckily had an easier time of it for several days and I was encouraged by that.  But last night I was awake until at least 3 am.  Therefore I slept past my usual wake up and exercise time of 6 am.  DH agreed I should take the morning off and he went downstairs to exercise instead.  I guess I will spend more time with the heating pad and take some Tylenol and see if that helps.

Thanks Rich for the Daily!  Spinach I prefer fresh rather than cooked.  Snakes scare me, and I think woodie wagons were a unique type of vehicle in our past.  Imagine thinking sheathing a car in wood to be a great idea.  Maintenance on the exterior must have been a real pain.  Today's quote is a good one, and the casserole for the day looks tasty.  Thanks for the recipes @0106.  Whittier, Alaska was a previous port of the day on Sept. 9, 2021.  We went to Whittier twice.  In 2009 we did B2B 7 day Alaska cruises roundtrip Vancouver so had turnaround day there.  Then in 2010 we ended up there after an Asian cruise that began in Bangkok (Laem Chabang).  So we just got on a bus and headed to the airport to fly home.  I only have a couple of pictures so I'll post those next. 

Thanks Roy for the lists today.  Prayers for our members and family on the Care list.  I checked the weather and it will be 96F this afternoon when the burial takes place so I hope the graveside prayers are short and powerful.  Prayers for strength and comfort to Amy and her children.  The Celebration list is great, and we of course want to give a shout out to our friends cruising.  Hope the sun is out and the seas are calm.

There isn't much to see in Whittier as you can see.  I checked and the population of Whittier is about 205 people (2020).  The entire town lives in the high rise building seen in the photos.  They have grocery store and other services in the building itself so they don't even need to step outside most of the time.  I would assume the majority of the people work at the harbor with ships coming in or boat charters or fishing.  

This is what the town looks like in May with the snow still on the mountains.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLq1jzKwglVfC8qdCSnrzVS4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011392

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIYO6y_QvHyVBu4xSIJAXZwV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011387

Like I said before on the 2010 trip we were heading to the airport so this is about all we saw.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKJY_LCb4xovP0hX--QNyzY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011386

I'm not sure what this building is but it looks like it would work great as a restaurant and hotel.  I wonder how many people actually come here to spend the night though?00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIq2I0V3_k3qtoS0T7LXoyo4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1616011397

This photo was taken Sept. 12, 2009 on our B2B.  Notice the lack of snow.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIu16TT94kF6i0Bol3eKrGL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188336

The high rise residential building00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJCPoNg8ZBdAjATm-0RyemY?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188339

Rainy weather is common here.  In this photo you see the road from Anchorage and even buses coming toward the ship with new passengers ready to embark.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLJ1jIpuZwa8O-_Ni835HWx?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188345

The mists which are probably common here.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ3HUI9vRCzuIu5-XSWqDd8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188349

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLrrzDOxlFw_KR1qbKQzmcT?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188356

A truckful of luggage coming probably from the cruise line hotel in Anchorage.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI1HIxnoTpdi-nP6HZ6gccS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365188362

If anyone has actually gotten off the ship and walked around the "town" please enlighten us as to what you have seen.  I would love to know, and if I ever get back to Whittier I'll get off the ship even if it is raining.  I promise!

Thank you for your excellent photos and descriptions Sandi.

I'm sorry to hear your leg is hurting again when we all hoped the pain had gone for good.

Prayers for Amy today on this sad day for her and your family.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Great news! My DB's Covid symptoms are finally headed in the right direction. His oxygen levels are staying at an acceptable level, he isn't sleeping 24/7, and he is now eating though still no taste nor smell.  

DB disappointedly won't start his final BYC Race to Mackinac today but his son will sail the multi-day race in his dad's honor.

@rafinmd, I think both my DB and DH's nephew can now come off the lists. Thanks for having included them.

-Melisa

• Like 29
  • Thanks 4

Happy Saturday Dailyites!  The quote is so true,  and it's proving it's truth more and more every day.

6a303816623e6c79b08eda4ebf0a744a.jpg

I heard on the news last night that the reason crime has gone up so much is that people have been going through hard times, (ummm) and it causes frustration, anger that they do not have what ever it is that they are trying to take away from someone.  Well, since most of these criminals have a gun, and a fast car, they have more than most of us these days.

The news also asked that if we know that people are driving in circles in an intersection, or area in our county to call the police.  Not sure if the Atlanta area is the only city that has been taken over by idiots in cars driving around and around and around blocking intersections while spectators gather around the cars and watch.  (at this point I don't know which ones are the biggest idiots, the drivers or the ones standing by the cars as they go around).  Well, since this has been happening near us in the middle of the night, I would suggest to the police, they simply sit still and roll down their windows.  They will find said idiots.

In high school I dated a guy who had a Woodie and the brakes would not allow him to park on our street unless I ran out and put blocks in front of the tires.  

@0106Recipes look good, and thank you for the history.  We love spinach, and my friend Penny told me that the secret to creamed spinach, or any creamed item is the nutmeg. 

@SusieKIslandGirl on Grand Cayman after you get off your tender, there are some small little buildings that form a semi circle around a "park", the Passport stamper is in one of those,  and they are not there very long.  We didn't notice the signs when we got off, but when we were waiting to get a tender back and didn't have time to wait.  I guess someone shows up for an hour or two once the ships starting letting folks off.

@erewhonThe two docs talked and called the cancer ENT that DH has seen in the past, and her office will contact DH to schedule the biopsy.  We have no idea yet when it will happen.  At this time all we can do is pray that it is not cancer, because at this point any additional surgery would probably kill him, and if he did survive, he would no longer have a face or mouth. 

graphics-coffee-674148.gif

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 12

2 minutes ago, HAL Sailer said:

Great news! My DB's Covid symptoms are finally headed in the right direction. His oxygen levels are staying at an acceptable level, he isn't sleeping 24/7, and he is now eating though still no taste nor smell.  

DB disappointedly won't start his final BYC Race to Mackinac today but his son will sail the multi-day race in his dad's honor.

@rafinmd, I think both my DB and DH's nephew can now come off the lists. Thanks for having included them.

-Melisa

Excellent news Melisa.

Graham.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Happy Saturday Dailyites!  The quote is so true,  and it's proving it's truth more and more every day.

6a303816623e6c79b08eda4ebf0a744a.jpg

I heard on the news last night that the reason crime has gone up so much is that people have been going through hard times, (ummm) and it causes frustration, anger that they do not have what ever it is that they are trying to take away from someone.  Well, since most of these criminals have a gun, and a fast car, they have more than most of us these days.

The news also asked that if we know that people are driving in circles in an intersection, or area in our county to call the police.  Not sure if the Atlanta area is the only city that has been taken over by idiots in cars driving around and around and around blocking intersections while spectators gather around the cars and watch.  (at this point I don't know which ones are the biggest idiots, the drivers or the ones standing by the cars as they go around).  Well, since this has been happening near us in the middle of the night, I would suggest to the police, they simply sit still and roll down their windows.  They will find said idiots.

In high school I dated a guy who had a Woodie and the brakes would not allow him to park on our street unless I ran out and put blocks in front of the tires.  

@0106Recipes look good, and thank you for the history.  We love spinach, and my friend Penny told me that the secret to creamed spinach, or any creamed item is the nutmeg. 

@SusieKIslandGirl on Grand Cayman after you get off your tender, there are some small little buildings that form a semi circle around a "park", the Passport stamper is in one of those,  and they are not there very long.  We didn't notice the signs when we got off, but when we were waiting to get a tender back and didn't have time to wait.  I guess someone shows up for an hour or two once the ships starting letting folks off.

@erewhonThe two docs talked and called the cancer ENT that DH has seen in the past, and her office will contact DH to schedule the biopsy.  We have no idea yet when it will happen.  At this time all we can do is pray that it is not cancer, because at this point any additional surgery would probably kill him, and if he did survive, he would no longer have a face or mouth. 

graphics-coffee-674148.gif

Sending you our prayers 🙏 that the biopsy shows no cancer  for your husband.

• Like 13

firGood morning  everyone. It took us 6 hours  after we left the Cape Sagamore Bridge to get to NY.Oh my.Traffic,accidents and several iced coffee stops before we picked up the pooches and landed in the driveway. 

I thought of you Gerry @ger_77 as I was driving away from the  rental house.Icould see the family all lined up in the driveway in my rear view mirror and did my usual amount of crying. It is hard when family is not nearby.

@0106,Tina, thank you for the recipes.I think we will try the low carb one tonight.Last night I am embarrassed  to say that we ate cereal for dinner!I did not offer to do more than that either.

@SLouisCruisers, Sandi, the blue bubble is on strike but I am thinking of you and your extended  family today

@rafinmd. Roy, also thinking of your aunt as she is laid to rest.

@marshhawk,Ann, I unfortunately  know what you mean about cancers in the mouth,head and neck.My Dad was a heavy smoker and underwent many surgeries.It was 35 years ago and not much could be done.Hopefully your team of Docs will be able to do more.

We love spinach here and appreciate the old Woody Wagons.We have not been to the port.

Camilla is finally negative for covid as are her parents.My niece(the Grandma) and her husband have caught it a second time.They are NP's in a hospital and often babysit Camilla.Hopefully they were not positive when we saw them on Sunday.

I am happy to be home but enjoyed the vacation so much.

Terry

• Like 26
  • Thanks 7