****CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #3 -‐- JULY 21, 2022***

Host Carolyn

3 hours ago, Megan_Strick said:

So if I'm reading this correctly we DO NOT have to get tested? We leave Sept 5 for 5 days in the Bahamas

I'm leaving Sept 3 for 5 day cruise to Bahamas.  DH and I are both vaccinated (and boosted, but that isn't required according to Carnival site) and we are not required to test pre cruise.  You should be in the same boat (so to speak) as us.

• Like 1

I don't see how the cruise lines can possibly accept the self tests.  I mean, sheesh.  I could test today for an October cruise and, what, just keep the little test strip?  Take a picture of it?

There's no "proof" that anyone can provide that the test is within the time limit and that it's for the passenger who says it's their test. 

You can pay to have the at-home tests proctored by a lab, but the protocols aren't saying they require that.

Including the non-proctored self-tests in the protocols is ridiculous.

p.s.  Isn't there a "stuck" thread at the top of the board that's supposed to be keeping up with the current protocols?

1 hour ago, NCTribeFan said:

I don't see how the cruise lines can possibly accept the self tests.  I mean, sheesh.  I could test today for an October cruise and, what, just keep the little test strip?  Take a picture of it?

There's no "proof" that anyone can provide that the test is within the time limit and that it's for the passenger who says it's their test. 

You can pay to have the at-home tests proctored by a lab, but the protocols aren't saying they require that.

Including the non-proctored self-tests in the protocols is ridiculous.

p.s.  Isn't there a "stuck" thread at the top of the board that's supposed to be keeping up with the current protocols?

Further proof this whole testing business is a charade

• Like 4

Is Carnival accepting self tests? Also, why are unvaxxed required to have insurance and vaxxed not, when most who get it now are vaxxed? We are cruising finally end of September and  my husband can walk right into the ship with Covid but I need a test and insurance? This is crazy. 

Edited by pretzellover
  • Like 3

It may be that Carnival hasn’t updated their website yet, but in the FAQs regarding health protocols, it says

Is a self-test acceptable?

All guests, irrespective of vaccination status, may consider using self-administered telehealth COVID-19 tests, which have been approved by the CDC to satisfy the pre-cruise testing requirement. The test must be a COVID-19 viral test (NAAT or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative who must confirm the person's identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test. The telehealth provider must issue a result document that includes all the necessary information which must be presented at the time of check-in. Guests may consider using one of the following self-administered telehealth viral antigen tests:

So, the accepted tests appear to be defined as proctored tests.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure where things stand now... We're sailing next week. Let's say I take a (not required) unproctored self test a day or two before the cruise and it shows "+". What am I then to do -- call and inform Carnival? Are they going to simply take my word for it and, what, issue a cruise credit?

Tom

Guest BasicSailor
1 hour ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Not sure where things stand now... We're sailing next week. Let's say I take a (not required) unproctored self test a day or two before the cruise and it shows "+". What am I then to do -- call and inform Carnival? Are they going to simply take my word for it and, what, issue a cruise credit?

Tom

It's all being swept under the rugs now, who's to say most won't even bother to test. Welcome aboard if you get Covid its own you.

Edited by BasicSailor

Celebrity and Royal are both accepting self (not proctored) tests for unvaxxed guests. This is so silly. The cdc recommends protocols should not differ from vaxxed to unvaxxed. The cdc also does not recommend testing people who have no symptoms. Why are the cruise lines testing the unvaxxed at all? It makes no sense and seems to be theater or a consolation prize for those followed orders. Hope testing is all dropped sooner than later. 

4CE1DDA6-47B9-40AB-9F2C-F8410C2A11A2.jpeg

• Like 1

Celebrity and Royal are both accepting self (not proctored) tests for unvaxxed guests. This is so silly. The cdc recommends protocols should not differ from vaxxed to unvaxxed. The cdc also does not recommend testing people who have no symptoms. Why are the cruise lines testing the unvaxxed at all? It makes no sense and seems to be theater or a consolation prize for those followed orders. Hope testing is all dropped sooner than later. 

• Like 1

I know the Have Fun Be Safe page hasn't changed, but I received the update email below, which to me confirms that un-proctored tests are no longer needed.

GUEST ADVISORY

ADDITIONAL PROTOCOL UPDATES
SAILINGS DEPARTING AS OF SEPTEMBER 6, 2022

August 24, 2022

Dear Carnival Guest,

In addition to guidelines previously communicated, we are expanding acceptable pre-cruise testing for unvaccinated guests for voyages departing September 6, 2022, and later. These changes are consistent with what local destinations have advised will be acceptable for arriving cruise guests, and we will continue to work closely with local destinations to protect the health of our guests, crew and the communities we visit.
  • In addition to lab administered tests, self-testing is accepted for unvaccinated guests on cruises 15 nights and shorter.
  • Certain destinations do not accept unsupervised pre-cruise self-testing, including Bermuda, Canada, Greece, and Spain.  If used for visiting these destinations, self-testing must be supervised by a medical professional.
  • Regardless of the type of test taken, unvaccinated guests will be required to present their negative test results via VeriFLY or as part of the embarkation process. 
Additionally, travel insurance is no longer a requirement for unvaccinated guests unless it is required by a destination, such as Bermuda.  Irrespective of vaccination status, travel insurance is required for all guests visiting Fiji.

Details on these new guidelines and additional information for submitting proof of testing and other COVID-related protocols will be available on our Have Fun. Be Safe. webpage later today. We encourage you to refer to this information as you prepare for your upcoming cruise and to carefully read any other follow-up pre-cruise communications.

We hope you will receive this as good news and we look forward to welcoming you aboard soon. 
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We just received the email above. Glad Carnival is no longer requiring things that other lines are not. However, with this change, it is now obvious that testing needs to be dropped entirely. Have people sign a form saying that they don't have Noro or Covid and move on. Anything else is theater.

• Like 3

On 7/22/2022 at 4:32 PM, south-carolinagirl said:

Our whole family fully vaxed and boosted, tested positive last weekend.  Cruise is on 8/15.  Has anyone presented positive test as certificate of recovery?  Did you have to do anything else? TIA

Curious if you proceeded to travel and what was your experience checking in??

20 hours ago, aussiepom1 said:

Hi I'm curious too about document of recovery and how easy it is 

Its different for different sailings - I received an email which stated (pasted and not altered) "
All guests will be required to present acceptable proof of a negative COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within three days prior to embarkation. Please note that a document of recovery is not applicable for this Transpacific cruise and ALL guests will be required to provide a negative test result. "

So in order to be answered you need to check the Carnival Covid page and see what it states regarding your destination and length of cruise.  Without the specific information of which ports you visit and length of cruise no one can answer your question.

https://www.carnival.com.au/legal/covid-19-legal-notices

The CVS's in my area stopped doing antigen fast tests for travel and I leave for my Sept. 11 cruise out of Rome on Sept. 9.  For recent cruisers who used Binax, is it working well with the proctors and Carnival accepts the documentation easily?  I know there was a lot of discussion about Binax a while back but I'm looking for the latest greatest because I don't want to wind up testing in Italy and risk being forcibly quarantined for 14 days.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

The CVS's in my area stopped doing antigen fast tests for travel and I leave for my Sept. 11 cruise out of Rome on Sept. 9.  For recent cruisers who used Binax, is it working well with the proctors and Carnival accepts the documentation easily?  I know there was a lot of discussion about Binax a while back but I'm looking for the latest greatest because I don't want to wind up testing in Italy and risk being forcibly quarantined for 14 days.  Thanks.

I have used Binax for the last three cruises and had no issue with the proctor, receiving the results or Carnival acceptance.  I’ll be using again next week for my Bermuda Cruise. 

On 8/24/2022 at 11:20 AM, Tink10 said:

I know the Have Fun Be Safe page hasn't changed, but I received the update email below, which to me confirms that un-proctored tests are no longer needed.

GUEST ADVISORY

ADDITIONAL PROTOCOL UPDATES
SAILINGS DEPARTING AS OF SEPTEMBER 6, 2022

August 24, 2022

Dear Carnival Guest,

In addition to guidelines previously communicated, we are expanding acceptable pre-cruise testing for unvaccinated guests for voyages departing September 6, 2022, and later. These changes are consistent with what local destinations have advised will be acceptable for arriving cruise guests, and we will continue to work closely with local destinations to protect the health of our guests, crew and the communities we visit.
  • In addition to lab administered tests, self-testing is accepted for unvaccinated guests on cruises 15 nights and shorter.
  • Certain destinations do not accept unsupervised pre-cruise self-testing, including Bermuda, Canada, Greece, and Spain.  If used for visiting these destinations, self-testing must be supervised by a medical professional.
  • Regardless of the type of test taken, unvaccinated guests will be required to present their negative test results via VeriFLY or as part of the embarkation process. 
Additionally, travel insurance is no longer a requirement for unvaccinated guests unless it is required by a destination, such as Bermuda.  Irrespective of vaccination status, travel insurance is required for all guests visiting Fiji.

Details on these new guidelines and additional information for submitting proof of testing and other COVID-related protocols will be available on our Have Fun. Be Safe. webpage later today. We encourage you to refer to this information as you prepare for your upcoming cruise and to carefully read any other follow-up pre-cruise communications.

We hope you will receive this as good news and we look forward to welcoming you aboard soon. 

in light of what you post, I don't understand why Carnival still has this live link in their site: https://www.carnival.com/test2/covid-19-legal-notices-test

The link above says that an unvaccinated person going from an FL or TX port must have travel insurance.  If this is no longer in effect, Carnival should really not have links stating old versions of the covid protocols, because it creates ambiguity.  They should entirely get rid of the old versions of the protocol, or edit the pages to make it clear 'this is no longer the protocol as of mm/dd/yyyy'.  We are planning a November sailing out of Canaveral to Bahamas. I'm 99% sure I (unvaccinated) do not need insurance, but wife thinks I do b/c the link above says I do.

I read through all the pages and didn't see this question addressed.  If a traveling companion tests positive, (she does not live with me and is coming in from a different state), am I still able to board and use my booked cabin solo without extra cost?  Can I bring someone in her place, and if so, is there a deadline to make a name change?  We sail on Sunday, Sept. 4.  

Thank you!

11 hours ago, Abd213 said:

We are leaving in 2 weeks and 2 days and our check in is still asking for our vaccination status.  Anyone know if we still need to fill that out?

I assume you do because unvaccinated people still need to test and fully vaccinated ones don’t…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1