****CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #3 -‐- JULY 21, 2022***

Host Carolyn

8 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

• Bermuda: a PCR test can be taken 4 days before sailing (antigen tests are not accepted)
    •  

Whoa what?  The last time I checked for Bermuda it was 4 days PCR or 2 days antigen. Kind of a deal if I can’t use my home test and now have to find a PCR in NYC.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Whoa what?  The last time I checked for Bermuda it was 4 days PCR or 2 days antigen. Kind of a deal if I can’t use my home test and now have to find a PCR in NYC.

That's for those that are not vaccinated. 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

So what's the problem? Most of us are already jabbed and boosted, what's the bone of contention? The way I read it is that we are GTG and don't have to worry about testing. Even the unjabbed folks have an angle too. Unless I'm understanding this wrong, it seems cause for celebration! Unless you're on a 16+ night cruise, it's a joyous occasion. 

No bone, just disappointment because our cruise includes Mykonos, Santorini and Athens.  Was really hoping "no testing" would apply to us because insurance doesn't cover it anymore and CVS near us is not doing antigen on anyone who needs testing for travel.  So unless we figure something out we'll be testing in Italy and they have a mandatory at-your-expense 14-day quarantine if you test positive there.  That's a bit problematic, and potentially expensive.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DanvilleCruiser said:

Others have posted on here that they have used On Point with no issues.  John Heald said several weeks ago that it was an acceptable proctored test site.

Yes we have booked On Point for our Pride sailing out of England, taking an FDA approved home test and doing the zoom  call. 

• Thanks 1

you are not the only one confused they have changed my 3 day prior test to 1 day prior - as I am travelling for 2 days to get there I am going to find this very difficult as I can no longer test at the 
Airport prior to flying.

Has anyone sought clarification on this ? Are we now allowed to take our own rapid antigen test without proctoring.  This timeline now makes my testing 1. more expensive and 2. harder to get before travel given that it takes me two days to get to Seattle for my cruise.

All new guidelines are effective for cruises departing on Tuesday, September 6, 2022 or later, and include: 

• Vaccinated guests must continue to provide evidence of their vaccination status, either through VeriFLY or at embarkation. Pre cruise testing is no longer required, except for the following destination regulations: 
    • Canada: a PCR test can be taken 3 days before sailing or an antigen test can be taken 2 days before sailing
    • Bermuda: a PCR test can be taken 4 days before sailing or an antigen test can be taken 2 days before sailing
    • Greece: a PCR or antigen test can be taken 2 days before sailing
    • Australia: a PCR test 3 days before sailing or a self-administered antigen test 1 day before sailing
    •  

19 hours ago, topaz123 said:

I want to make sure I am not living in a dream.....DOES THIS MEAN NO PRE CRUISE 3 DAY TEST if you are up to date on Vaccinations?   HURRAH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No ... I read it that if you are on a cruise longer than 16 days you are still to test.  This has made it more difficult for me.  It was that you could do an antigen test 3 days before sailing now its one day.  This means I can no longer do this prior to catching my flight - its going to take me nearly two days to get there and I cant book in for a test in Seattle.   So now I have to pay more for a PCR at the airport before I leave.

............"

All new guidelines are effective for cruises departing on Tuesday, September 6, 2022 or later, and include: 

• Vaccinated guests must continue to provide evidence of their vaccination status, either through VeriFLY or at embarkation. Pre cruise testing is no longer required, except for the following destination regulations: 
    • Canada: a PCR test can be taken 3 days before sailing or an antigen test can be taken 2 days before sailing
    • Bermuda: a PCR test can be taken 4 days before sailing or an antigen test can be taken 2 days before sailing
    • Australia: a PCR test 3 days before sailing or a self-administered antigen test 1 day before sailing"

And I must state here that it is not a destination regulation that requires this test as there are no such regulations in place here.  It is purely a Carnival regulation.

Edited by Janet&Carl

4 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

Are we now allowed to take our own rapid antigen test without proctoring. 

It must still be a proctored test.  Testing is now even less expensive not more expensive given the ability to use any free test and get it proctored by On Point for 15.00 dollars.  Its also easier not harder as you can do it online from anywhere such as your hotel room.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dljones said:

I'm seeing conflicting information regarding pre cruise testing for Carnival. The Carnival webite says no tests starting Sept. 6th but I see other posts that no tests are effective now. So which is ig?

Please change the title of this thread. It is very misleading as Carnival does still require test for some people after Sep 6. Read the entire change. If your only concern is the date, yes it is Sep 6.

5 hours ago, Janet&Carl said:

No ... I read it that if you are on a cruise longer than 16 days you are still to test.  This has made it more difficult for me.  It was that you could do an antigen test 3 days before sailing now its one day.  This means I can no longer do this prior to catching my flight - its going to take me nearly two days to get there and I cant book in for a test in Seattle.   So now I have to pay more for a PCR at the airport before I leave.

............"

• Australia: a PCR test 3 days before sailing or a self-administered antigen test 1 day before sailing"

And I must state here that it is not a destination regulation that requires this test as there are no such regulations in place here.  It is purely a Carnival regulation.

Thanks for the info....so the pre test would ONLY apply to cruises 16 days or more?  Wasn't aware of 16+ day cruises by Carnival....Europe maybe?

7 hours ago, dljones said:

I'm seeing conflicting information regarding pre cruise testing for Carnival. The Carnival webite says no tests starting Sept. 6th but I see other posts that no tests are effective now. So which is ig?

You need to be more specific about itinerary, length of cruise, and whether you're talking about vaccinated or unvaccinated passengers.  There are multiple scenarios under which testing will still be required, so no absolute yes or no answer to this overly simplified question is going to be accurate in every situation. 

• Like 1

My PVP confirmed that we do not have to test for our 5 day cruise to the Bahamas on Sept 3, 2022.  I looked at the "Have Fun. Be Safe" protocols on Carnival's website and this is how it's defined (yellow highlighting is mine).  5 day cruises from August 5 through September 5 have the following protocol:

PROTOCOLS FOR CRUISES DEPARTING THROUGH SEPTEMBER 5, 2022

We will continue to operate vaccinated cruises with our enhanced protocols. All our operations will follow these guidelines so we can maintain the confidence of the destinations we visit and deliver on our itineraries and guest experience. As the COVID-19 situation evolves, we will adjust our protocols based on the advice of our medical and public health advisors.

Below are the measures currently planned for our vaccinated cruises. Guests sailing from Australia, please visit the Australia Have Fun. Be Safe. page for protocols specific to those cruises.

booking-icon.ashx

BOOKING

All guests should carefully review pre-booking and pre-travel health advice on our website.

PRE-BOARDING INFORMATION: In order to manage our vaccinated sailings, it is very important for all guests to complete their pre-cruise vaccine attestation. Guests are asked to update their profile on Carnival.com with their current contact information as we will be communicating through a series of emails. Please read all our correspondence and complete all requests for pre-boarding information on a timely basis.

vaccine.ashx

VACCINATION & TESTING STANDARDS

FULLY VACCINATED GUESTS

VACCINATION REQUIREMENTS

Vaccinated cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the sailing day (not counting embarkation day) and have proof of vaccination.

While the CDC has strongly recommended that individuals obtain a COVID-19 booster vaccination, when eligible, for the purposes of Carnival's protocols, the definition of “fully vaccinated” does not generally include reference to a booster except when explicitly stated. Boosters may be required for specific voyages based on duration or destination requirements.

The following voyages require guests, age 12 and older, to be fully vaccinated. In addition, all guests, age 18 and older, who are more than 6 months past the last dose of their initial vaccine series must be boosted (if eligible) in order to sail:

• Carnival Pride® and Carnival Celebration Europe - All 2022 departures
  • Carnival Splendor® 23-day Carnival Journey (Transpacific) - September 6, 2022
  • Carnival Spirit® 16-day Carnival Journey (Panama Canal) - September 20, 2022

Guests must present an original vaccination record issued by the country's health authority (i.e., U.S. CDC's Vaccination Record Card). A digital COVID-19 Certificate (QR code), a record of COVID-19 vaccination from a healthcare provider (original digital email), and a personal electronic health record or government Immunization Information System record is also acceptable. Copies or photos are not accepted.

• The name and birth date on the vaccination record must match the guest's travel documents.
  • The vaccination dates must indicate the guest has completed the required doses no later than 14 days prior to the sailing date (not including embarkation day). Vaccine type, dates administered, and lot numbers must be clearly visible. When required, booster dose must also be reflected on vaccination records.

We recommend guests have the contact information of the healthcare provider or clinic site that issued the certificate, in order to validate the vaccination record, if needed. A vaccination registry site may also be used.

TESTING REQUIREMENTS (UPDATED 8/05/22)

CRUISES 5 DAYS OR LESS

Except for sailings visiting Bermuda (see below), there will be no pre-cruise testing for fully vaccinated guests booked on cruises with itineraries 5 days or less.

• Due to destination requirements, ALL guests on itineraries that include Bermuda must complete a pre-cruise test, irrespective of the length of the cruise.
  • To comply with destination regulations, guests may take either a PCR or an antigen test within the timelines specified below:
    • A PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing (for example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday).
    • An antigen test no earlier than two days prior to sailing (for example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Thursday).

On 8/13/2022 at 11:48 AM, DanvilleCruiser said:

Others have posted on here that they have used On Point with no issues.  John Heald said several weeks ago that it was an acceptable proctored test site.

Is this documented anywhere? It clearly seems to be the best alternative, although only if Carnival accepts it.

23 minutes ago, thogan said:

Is this documented anywhere? It clearly seems to be the best alternative, although only if Carnival accepts it.

I was on the phone with a Carnival  rep yesterday on another matter and in the course of the discussion she volunteered that Onpoint was an acceptable proctoring method. 

There has also been discussion on a variety of other threads about people uploading OnPoint results to VeriFLY and having them accepted. 

Richard

• Like 1

It's just irritating to even have a future date.  I'm leaving Sept 4th for 6 day, so really really disappointed that we have to test.  Just say effective immediately.  GEEZ, OH WELL CARNIVAL, that's less money I can spend on YOUR boat.  Not only to be stressed out to test before labor day weekend!  thanks

• Like 1

No way in hell I'm getting on a cruise ship unvaccinated.  We have been diamond for a couple years now and have multiple cruises scheduled currently.  Just got back from a couple weeks in Alaska.  To board unvaccinated is risky.  There are a certain percentage who get covid during the cruise process.  Unavoidable.  Airline, cabs, Uber, on board, in ports... almost impossible to avoid in the bars, clubs, dinning rooms, elevators... you are playing with fire to go unvaccinated.  My guess is there will be a significant spike in the Sept - through winter months / flu season.  Not sure if it will cause a reversal of this announced decision, but wouldn't be surprised.  We are regular cruisers.  I strongly recommend ANYONE boarding protect themselves as best you can.  Get vaccinated and/or boostered.  For everyone's sake.  Will be plenty who disagree, but this decision represents a dramatic shift.

• Like 5