****CARNIVAL COVID TESTING THREAD #3 -‐- JULY 21, 2022***

Host Carolyn

Can someone please help me?!?! I feel like an idiot.... But I am leaving on 9/17.  If I were to get the J&J am I reading it correctly that I can do so up until 9/2 to be considered fully vaccinated?  I was waiting on the Novavax but I am running out of time and it still isn't in my area. 

**Not looking for debates, just need some folks to tell me if I am reading this correctly**

23 minutes ago, Abd213 said:

Can someone please help me?!?! I feel like an idiot.... But I am leaving on 9/17.  If I were to get the J&J am I reading it correctly that I can do so up until 9/2 to be considered fully vaccinated?  I was waiting on the Novavax but I am running out of time and it still isn't in my area. 

If you get the J&J vaccine by then, you'll be good to go.  Be sure to bring the card or whatever proof is provided.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

If you get the J&J vaccine by then, you'll be good to go.  Be sure to bring the card or whatever proof is provided.

By 9/2 or do I need it before then?  Carnival says "Vaccinated cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the sailing day (not counting embarkation day) and have proof of vaccination".  The CDC says "You are considered fully vaccinated if it has been at least 2 weeks since you got your first J&J shot." I am trying to determine if I have until 9/2 or 8/19.

Edited by Abd213

1 minute ago, Abd213 said:

By 9/2 or do I need it before then?  Carnival says "Vaccinated cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to the sailing day (not counting embarkation day) and have proof of vaccination".  The CDC says "You are considered fully vaccinated if it has been at least 2 weeks since you got your first J&J shot." I am trying to determine if I have until 9/2 or 8/19.

J&J is only one shot, so the first shot is the same as the last shot.  You can wait until 9/2 to get it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, letsgo39 said:

Princess just made a announcement that proctered test is no longer required but you still need a negative test. Now you just need to attest that you have taken a test within 3 days and it was negative.

Good Lord, what's the point of that?   If they're going to do that, just end testing and be done with it.  

And where did you see this announcement?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ghjcmo said:

Good Lord, what's the point of that?   If they're going to do that, just end testing and be done with it.  

Agreed! People will lie through their teeth to get out of taking a verifiable test. IIII don't think so! 

12 hours ago, ghjcmo said:

Princess web site and here on the Princess forum. It is common knowledge now.

3 hours ago, letsgo39 said:

Princess web site and here on the Princess forum. It is common knowledge now.

Isn't that only for sailings out of the UK though?   Your comment could be misconstrued to mean all of Princess.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ghjcmo said:

Isn't that only for sailings out of the UK though?   Your comment could be misconstrued to mean all of Princess.  

Yes, Sorry, it does appear to be UK sailings. The cruises seem to be to everywhere in EU except Greece.

19 minutes ago, chrisnasah said:

Hi,

Very conflicting info on Website, firstly they say 3 days prior and then on description is 72 hrs prior to sailing.

Verify is asking for 48-72 hrs as well.  Anyone know what is the correct requirement.

We have booked an on-line test in the UK for Thursday morning, the ship sails Sunday afternoon -  3 days.

Carnival Site:

CRUISES 6 DAYS OR MORE

On cruises 6 days or longer, testing requirements remain in place for guests age 2 and older. Except where destination requirements differ (see below), all guests may take their test (PCR or antigen) starting 3 days before departure (for example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday).

• For itineraries that include Bermuda and Canada, in order to comply with destination regulations, guests may take either a PCR or an antigen test within the timelines specified below:
    • A PCR test within 72 hours prior to sailing (for example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday).
      • An antigen test no earlier than two days prior to sailing (for example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Thursday).
Edited by M&A

Per the Carnival website, if I am fully vaccinated, I can do a rapid antigen test.

However, I will be traveling with my two kids, DD8 and DS6, and they are not vaccinated. Are they also eligible for rapid tests since they have a vaccine exemption? Will I need to get them PCR tested? I've called Carnival 3 times already and have received 3 different answers each time. I'm also concerned with the disembarkation testing requirement and they also gave me conflicting information on that. 

Edited by itsAstrid

3 hours ago, itsAstrid said:

Per the Carnival website, if I am fully vaccinated, I can do a rapid antigen test.

However, I will be traveling with my two kids, DD8 and DS6, and they are not vaccinated. Are they also eligible for rapid tests since they have a vaccine exemption? Will I need to get them PCR tested? I've called Carnival 3 times already and have received 3 different answers each time. I'm also concerned with the disembarkation testing requirement and they also gave me conflicting information on that. 

Assuming you aren't visiting Bermuda or Canada, the Carnival webstie says:

Except where differences are specified, all unvaccinated guests age 2 and older must provide the negative result of a lab-administered or supervised self-administered PCR or antigen COVID test taken up to 3 days before embarkation.* (For example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday.)

So it looks like the CDC is updating guidelines today.....

CDC streamlines COVID-19 guidance to help the public better protect themselves and understand their risk | CDC Online Newsroom | CDC

and

New CDC COVID guidance focuses on individual decisions : Shots - Health News : NPR

Wondering if this will cause any changes for cruises. Likely not in time for our end-o'-August cruise, LOL, but maybe sooner than later?

Best wishes to all.

• Like 1

My brother just completed a cruise on Carnival Magic. 3 days after returning he tested positive.

He had to pay $320 for proctored tests for his family of 4, because he was in NYC during the window a test had to be taken, and his insurance only pays for testing at specific locations not available there.

I have an upcoming cruise and when I try to schedule tests at CVS it gives me a quiz and tells me my insurance won't cover it and I must pay $139.

And CVS won't provide it from my local pharmacies, they offer that I can travel 4 hours to some clinic.

What are you all finding on testing and paying for it?

EDIT: Looks like Onpoint is the cheapest way to get a valid proctored test using any FDA approved home test.

Edited by PelicanBill

If only it was that simple...

August 12, 2022

Dear Valued Guest,

We want to update you as we modify our public health protocols to simplify the process and welcome more guests aboard. We have much to share but will try to be as concise as possible.

As we finish a very busy and successful summer travel season, we are pleased to announce protocol updates that meet public health goals but recognize the evolving nature of COVID-19. With these changes, we are making it easier for more guests to sail with simplified vaccination and testing guidelines, including no testing for vaccinated guests on sailings less than 16 nights, and eliminating the exemption request process for unvaccinated guests, who will only need to show a negative test result at embarkation.  

All new guidelines are effective for cruises departing on Tuesday, September 6, 2022 or later, and include: 
  • Vaccinated guests must continue to provide evidence of their vaccination status, either through VeriFLY or at embarkation. Pre cruise testing is no longer required, except for the following destination regulations: 
    • Canada: a PCR test can be taken 3 days before sailing or an antigen test can be taken 2 days before sailing
    • Bermuda: a PCR test can be taken 4 days before sailing or an antigen test can be taken 2 days before sailing
    • Greece: a PCR or antigen test can be taken 2 days before sailing
    • Australia: a PCR test 3 days before sailing or a self-administered antigen test 1 day before sailing
  • Unvaccinated guests are welcome to sail and are no longer required to apply for a vaccine exemption, except for cruises in Australia or on voyages 16 nights and longer. 
  • Unvaccinated guests or those who do not provide proof of vaccination must present the results of a negative PCR or antigen test taken within 3 days of embarkation, expect for the following destination regulations: 
    • Canada: a PCR test can be taken 3 days before sailing or an antigen test can be taken 2 days before sailing
    • Bermuda: a PCR test can be taken 4 days before sailing (antigen tests are not accepted)
    • Australia: a PCR test 3 days before sailing or a self-administered antigen test 1 day before sailing
Note: Guests under the age of 5 years are exempt from vaccination and testing requirements for sailings from the U.S., and under the age of 12 for sailings from Australia 

The following additional destination requirements remain in place:  
  • Unvaccinated guests ages 12 and over are unable to sail on cruises to Bermuda (no exceptions)
  • Unvaccinated guests ages 12 and over are unable to sail on cruises to Canada, unless they meet Canadian requirements that validate they are unable to be vaccinated for medical purposes. Details on Canada’s medical exemption documentation requirements are available here:
  • Guests sailing to Canada and Bermuda will be asked to confirm their vaccination status within 21 days of booking in order for us to manage the requirements of these specific destinations. Guests who are currently booked must complete their vaccine attestation by August 24. The vaccine attestation is located on the to-do list under Manage My Booking on Carnival.com. Failure by the guests to confirm vaccination status will unfortunately result in cancellation of the booking.
  • Certain destinations may have protocols that prohibit debarkation by unvaccinated guests, which are largely consistent with their guidelines for passengers arriving by air.  So, while unvaccinated guests may sail after presenting the results of a negative COVID test, they will need to remain on board the ship during visits to the following destinations:
    • Cartagena, Colombia and Grand Turk (for unvaccinated guests 18 years or older
    • Bermuda, Bonaire, Grand Cayman, St. Kitts and Tortola (for unvaccinated guests 12 years or older)
Voyages 16 nights and longer will continue to have vaccination and testing requirements that are specific to the itinerary, and Carnival will continue to communicate with those guests in a timely manner.  

For guests who have a pending vaccine exemption application and are awaiting confirmation for cruises departing September 6 or later, the booking is confirmed unless booked on a sailing that calls on Canada, Bermuda, Australia or if the voyage is 16 nights or longer.   

We are in the process of updating our website, communications, and processes to reflect these new, simplified policies.  We appreciate your patience as we work to streamline requirements for guests leading into their cruise vacation. Requirements for long voyages and destination-specific protocols will soon be available on Carnival’s Have Fun. Be Safe. page on Carnival.com. 

We look forward to welcoming more guests aboard.  We’ve got lots happening, with Carnival Luminosa and Carnival Celebration joining our fleet this November and more to come in 2023.   Whatever the ship, homeport or itinerary that works for you, our great onboard team is ready to deliver a fun and memorable vacation. 

14 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

If only it was that simple...

August 12, 2022

Dear Valued Guest,

We want to update you as we modify our public health protocols to simplify the process and welcome more guests aboard. We have much to share but will try to be as concise as possible.

As we finish a very busy and successful summer travel season, we are pleased to announce protocol updates that meet public health goals but recognize the evolving nature of COVID-19. With these changes, we are making it easier for more guests to sail with simplified vaccination and testing guidelines, including no testing for vaccinated guests on sailings less than 16 nights, and eliminating the exemption request process for unvaccinated guests, who will only need to show a negative test result at embarkation.  

All new guidelines are effective for cruises departing on Tuesday, September 6, 2022 or later, and include: 
  • Vaccinated guests must continue to provide evidence of their vaccination status, either through VeriFLY or at embarkation. Pre cruise testing is no longer required, except for the following destination regulations: 
    • Bermuda: a PCR test can be taken 4 days before sailing or an antigen test can be taken 2 days before sailing
    • Greece: a PCR or antigen test can be taken 2 days before sailing
  • Unvaccinated guests are welcome to sail and are no longer required to apply for a vaccine exemption, except for cruises in Australia or on voyages 16 nights and longer. 
  • Unvaccinated guests or those who do not provide proof of vaccination must present the results of a negative PCR or antigen test taken within 3 days of embarkation, expect for the following destination regulations: 
    • Bermuda: a PCR test can be taken 4 days before sailing (antigen tests are not accepted)
Note: Guests under the age of 5 years are exempt from vaccination and testing requirements for sailings from the U.S., and under the age of 12 for sailings from Australia 

The following additional destination requirements remain in place:  
  • Unvaccinated guests ages 12 and over are unable to sail on cruises to Bermuda (no exceptions)
  • Unvaccinated guests ages 12 and over are unable to sail on cruises to Canada, unless they meet Canadian requirements that validate they are unable to be vaccinated for medical purposes. Details on Canada’s medical exemption documentation requirements are available here:
  • Guests sailing to Canada and Bermuda will be asked to confirm their vaccination status within 21 days of booking in order for us to manage the requirements of these specific destinations. Guests who are currently booked must complete their vaccine attestation by August 24. The vaccine attestation is located on the to-do list under Manage My Booking on Carnival.com. Failure by the guests to confirm vaccination status will unfortunately result in cancellation of the booking.
  • Certain destinations may have protocols that prohibit debarkation by unvaccinated guests, which are largely consistent with their guidelines for passengers arriving by air.  So, while unvaccinated guests may sail after presenting the results of a negative COVID test, they will need to remain on board the ship during visits to the following destinations:
    • Cartagena, Colombia and Grand Turk (for unvaccinated guests 18 years or older
    • Bermuda, Bonaire, Grand Cayman, St. Kitts and Tortola (for unvaccinated guests 12 years or older)
Voyages 16 nights and longer will continue to have vaccination and testing requirements that are specific to the itinerary, and Carnival will continue to communicate with those guests in a timely manner.  

For guests who have a pending vaccine exemption application and are awaiting confirmation for cruises departing September 6 or later, the booking is confirmed unless booked on a sailing that calls on Canada, Bermuda, Australia or if the voyage is 16 nights or longer.   

We are in the process of updating our website, communications, and processes to reflect these new, simplified policies.  We appreciate your patience as we work to streamline requirements for guests leading into their cruise vacation. Requirements for long voyages and destination-specific protocols will soon be available on Carnival’s Have Fun. Be Safe. page on Carnival.com. 

We look forward to welcoming more guests aboard.  We’ve got lots happening, with Carnival Luminosa and Carnival Celebration joining our fleet this November and more to come in 2023.   Whatever the ship, homeport or itinerary that works for you, our great onboard team is ready to deliver a fun and memorable vacation. 

So what's the problem? Most of us are already jabbed and boosted, what's the bone of contention? The way I read it is that we are GTG and don't have to worry about testing. Even the unjabbed folks have an angle too. Unless I'm understanding this wrong, it seems cause for celebration! Unless you're on a 16+ night cruise, it's a joyous occasion. 

• Like 3