Majestic Princess just announced Skagway has been canceled?

Ptroxx

Today the Majestic Princess just announced Skagway has been canceled due to unsafe port conditions. 

They will be going to Icy Strait Point instead. Just be prepared in case. Here’s some stuff to do in Icy Strait Point. 

Anyone have any info on what happened 

46 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

There was a landslide at the dock earlier in the season that took out part of the dock. 

Yes I know about this.   But they have been docking there since.    

I will be on the Majesty August 27.  I have Princess an excursion paid for in Skagway.

Were you notified of the change before leaving for your cruise or while on the ship?

Did Princess offer new excursions? 

We are excited about the possibility of visiting a new port. We are scheduled to be in Skagway on August 3rd on the Majestic. We like Skagway, but we have been there several times. Either way, we will make the most of the day.

Do not worry about your prepaid excursions. Princess will refund the money, get you a new excursion, or give you OBC. Look on it as a new adventure, not an inconvenience.

• Like 1

I was informed when we embarked on the Sky that Princess had canceled our first Scandinavian port excursion.  There were very few excursions to pick from once on board.  We got a refund which was applied to the new excursion.

They know in advance if they are going to dock or not.

Let passengers know in advance so we can plan.

We will be in Skagway August 31. I have been to Skagway 3x, my friends have not been.

Edited by phabric

50 minutes ago, phabric said:

I will be on the Majesty August 27.  I have Princess an excursion paid for in Skagway.

Were you notified of the change before leaving for your cruise or while on the ship?

Did Princess offer new excursions? 

Haven’t cruised yet.  Leave Sunday. 

36 minutes ago, Purple Gallinule said:

We are excited about the possibility of visiting a new port. We are scheduled to be in Skagway on August 3rd on the Majestic. We like Skagway, but we have been there several times. Either way, we will make the most of the day.

Do not worry about your prepaid excursions. Princess will refund the money, get you a new excursion, or give you OBC. Look on it as a new adventure, not an inconvenience.

I have a private excursion for Skagway. But I can cancel that. 

16 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

We recently completed a 7 day on Discovery Princess and we did stop at Skagway.  There was work done on the port due to the rockfall.  

This is a new report     

We were just there last week and the smaller slide that happened last month still seemed to be shedding rock. There was a larger one that happened before the cruise season started. I don’t recall seeing it like that last year. It’s sad because that’s where they berth two ships plus the busy small boat and ferry harbor. 

The new damage report that just came out is saying the area is not safe so they are not docking at the Railroad forward dock.

Someone provided this link on the Alaska board. Looks like many Princess ships this week will be impacted, not just the Majestic - The Royal/Discovery/Grand will likely have their docking schedule changed.

https://cruisefever.net/princess-alters-a-few-itineraries-on-cruises-to-alaska/

We will be in Skagway in two week so this will have us scrambling to learn at ISP as we have never been there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, harryfat1 said:

The new damage report that just came out is saying the area is not safe so they are not docking at the Railroad forward dock.

Someone provided this link on the Alaska board. Looks like many Princess ships this week will be impacted, not just the Majestic - The Royal/Discovery/Grand will likely have their docking schedule changed.

https://cruisefever.net/princess-alters-a-few-itineraries-on-cruises-to-alaska/

We will be in Skagway in two week so this will have us scrambling to learn at ISP as we have never been there.

I’m expected to be there next Thursday.    Either way I’m ok with the change to icy strait.         

Looks like the cancellations may just be to give them time to change things on the dock.  https://alaskapublic.org/2022/07/25/skagways-busiest-cruise-ship-dock-at-risk-of-catastrophic-rockslide-study-says/

ETA:  There is a link to the actual report in this article.  Very interesting reading.  I feel bad for the storeowners there who are just starting to get a more normal amount of business.  They have been barely hanging on since 2019.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, phabric said:

I was informed when we embarked on the Sky that Princess had canceled our first Scandinavian port excursion.  There were very few excursions to pick from once on board.  We got a refund which was applied to the new excursion.

They know in advance if they are going to dock or not.

Let passengers know in advance so we can plan.

We will be in Skagway August 31. I have been to Skagway 3x, my friends have not been.

They did not know in advance that the Majestic would not be able to dock this week. It's something that just happened. On the other hand, Princess has known for many weeks that the Crown could not keep its itinerary but just notified people going next month. 

41 minutes ago, SightCRR said:

As soon as you can people better check the times in ISP. Some cruises do ISP after Glacier Bay with real short hours and leave after sunset. 

sightcrr

Assuming the time at ISP is similar to the time the ships would be at Skagway, most ships are there for awhile.

Skagway is the longest stop for the southbound one way sailing from Whittier in stopping there for 14+ hours so will see if Majestic Princess stays late at ISP today.  Skagway stop typically includes the visit with Libby Riddles and the dogs so that could be a major disappointment for folks their hearts set for that event.

Here is the screen shot of Skagway ships that's scheduled to be there this week before Princess' announcement.  All the ships on the Railroad Forward (RRF) docks are impacted.  So most likely a NCL ship may change her port of call later in the week.

image.thumb.png.e9c3c3b6992f543199fc3104825316ca.png

10 minutes ago, harryfat1 said:

Assuming the time at ISP is similar to the time the ships would be at Skagway, most ships are there for awhile.

Skagway is the longest stop for the southbound one way sailing from Whittier in stopping there for 14+ hours so will see if Majestic Princess stays late at ISP today.  Skagway stop typically includes the visit with Libby Riddles and the dogs so that could be a major disappointment for folks their hearts set for that event.

Here is the screen shot of Skagway ships that's scheduled to be there this week before Princess' announcement.  All the ships on the Railroad Forward (RRF) docks are impacted.  So most likely a NCL ship may change her port of call later in the week.

image.thumb.png.e9c3c3b6992f543199fc3104825316ca.png

On my cruise two weeks ago Libby Riddles was on board  during the stop in Juneau.

Based on the geological report, this does not sound like a quick fix. It also involves public land above the dock and the private dock owned by the railroad, which will probably require some negotiations as to who pays for remediation of the problem. 

Hopefully some of the ships can dock at the Broadway or Ore Docks, but the size of the ships are limited at those docks, so newer / longer ships would not fit.

The Rear Berth at the  Railroad Pier remains open (for now), but is primarily used by Royal Caribbean ships.  I don’t know what agreements they have as to who has first rights to dock, if part of the pier is closed.

I would guess they are having to tender passengers to shore for ships that use the Rear Berth of the Railroad Dock, since it would not be safe to walk past the potential slide area above the Forward Berth. This also affects passengers who book the train excursion through the ship, since they will no longer be able to board the train right next to the ship.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'm wondering if the Discovery will be facing the same issues and/or get cancelled altogether?

Am on the Discovery now and just got word  this afternoon on the intercom from the Captain that Skagway is cancelled and we are headed to Sitka instead 😩 I would’ve preferred a sea day and an FCC instead. 

13 minutes ago, pupntaco said:

Am on the Discovery now and just got word  this afternoon on the intercom from the Captain that Skagway is cancelled and we are headed to Sitka instead 😩 I would’ve preferred a sea day and an FCC instead. 

The alternative is more likely to be a sea day and no FCC since the reason is due to the port and not the fault of the cruise line.