Id For Boarding - Lost License

My 22 yo grandson just discovered he’s lost his drivers license. We’re supposed to leave the day after tomorrow on Independence. He has his birth certificate but what other form of Id can he use?  They let him use his college id for the Covid test. Would that work for boarding also?

I’m pretty sure his college id has his photo, and they were willing to accept it for the Covid test. I’m just not sure if that counts as government issued. 

might have to break down and call Royal

Just now, DaniDanielle said:

Won’t they on,y give him a temporary license, there isn’t a picture.  My daughter went yesterday to the DMV.

Some temporary licenses have a picture on them.  Ours are paper but has our picture on it too. 

OP, how old is the passport?  If it is only recently expired, they might take that too.

20 minutes ago, frisbeewife said:

Going to the dmv is possible if he can get off work. And his passport is too old to use. 

im on the phone with Royal now but I’m pretty sure he’ll have to get to the dmv. 

Sounds like it could be a choice between his job and the cruise.

• Like 1

Hopefully he can get to the DMV. Our DMV give you the license the day you go. No temporary license. But if he can’t I’d bet that his birth certificate, expired passport and the college ID with photo would get him on the ship. Good luck!🍀 

7 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Hopefully he can get to the DMV. Our DMV give you the license the day you go. No temporary license. But if he can’t I’d bet that his birth certificate, expired passport and the college ID with photo would get him on the ship. Good luck!🍀 

In the last two states I have lived in they won't issue them at the DMV. They will only mail them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

We are in NJ too, same day, no temporary, but getting that appointment..

Sorry to say it, but I don't think he's going on the cruise.  If he's in the same state as you (Florida), he most likely needs an appointment at the DMV to get a replacement.  It would seem highly unlikely that he could get an appointment for tomorrow or Friday at this point.  But I could be wrong.

• Like 1

FOUND IT !!!  This may be of assistance:

The post explaining the solution they found is on the bottom of page 3. That specific solution may not apply, but I would think that by the same logic, if the expired passport is only being used as a government-issued photo ID and not a travel document, he stands a good chance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

It’s gotten much better. Lots of appointments available for tomorrow if you check now. At least in Monmouth County.

Wow, you’re right! I decided to look into REAL ID, but there are no appointments available by me, although some others have slots open in September. I have a passport.

5 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Wow, you’re right! I decided to look into REAL ID, but there are no appointments available by me, although some others have slots open in September. I have a passport.

If you are a AAA member, try getting an appointment for a real ID there.  I have 4 AAA stores within a short drive of me that all have DMV in them, got an appointment easily.  Not sure if they have that in NJ, they do in MA.