The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 9th, 2022

richwmn

Today is Book Lover’s Day, International Day of the World's Indigenous People, and National Polka Day

One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.--Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist

Meal Suggestion for today - vegetarian pho
Drink of the Day - Pina Colada Martini
Wine of the Day - Quinta de la Rosa 2018 La Rosa Reserva Red (Douro)
Destination of the Day - Luanda, Angola

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska - Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway Alaska US 7:00 AM To 8:00 PM

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Nieuw Statendam

Qaqortoq, Greenland 10:00 - 18:00

Noordam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 15:00

Oosterdam

Trieste, Italy - 16:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Lerwick, Mainland Shetland, Scotland eta 08/10

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 21:00

Zaandam

St Anthony NL, Newfoundland-Labrador Canada 10:00 - 20:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 08/10

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0809World.thumb.png.1e18476b74568b296cd747b626eac057.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 12

Good afternoon from a sunny 75°F North East coast of England.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Pauline reads books a lot unlike me.

Neither of us have done the Polka dance.

A very true quote.

Not sure about today's food.

Prayers for everyone on the care list.

Never been to today's port.

Wishing everyone a great day.

Screenshot_20220809_120754.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

It's cooler this morning and not as humid.🙂  Supposed to be sunny and 22C this afternoon.  Bertie and I had a nice walk.

Interesting days.  Hubby and I like to read but we don't polka.  We honour the Indigenous People of Canada.

Love the quote.

Not sure about the meal, I'll wait until I see the recipe. 

I'll pass on the cocktail, hope the wine is good.

RIP Olivia Newton-John.

Prayers for our world.

Stay safe.

• Like 29

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich!, Another stellar start to the day. Yesterday’s breezes really helped manage the heat & humidity. Hoping for more today. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! Off to an early Tai Chi class.  Then hoping to get my phone protective screen replaced, Bindi walks, laundry and pool time will round out the day. 

The dogs of prior generations….

92FD4119-4FB4-4B6E-9857-F2D3BB99FCCC.jpeg.96966d1050c206f09ff976a009f29f30.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Quinta de la Rosa 2018 La Rosa Reserva

Another bold red wine, this time from Portugal - and I’d love a taste. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $47.23.

Winemaker Notes

On the nose, extremely fresh ripe black fruits aromas combine with floral notes ending in hints of liquor and chocolate. Rich, full, and complex on the palate with bold flavors, all the while maintaining its defining elegance. Succulent tannins contribute to a very long and delicious finish.

WE93 Wine Enthusiast

A selection of the best fruit from this estate, this wood-aged reserva is rich and firmly structured. It also has powerful berry fruits, ripe tannins and a texture that is developing well. This impressive wine will age very well and will likely be ready from 2022. Drink until 2026.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 5

Good morning, everyone.

We are having a rainy start to the day but we are told it will clear out mid morning and be a beautiful day.  I am a book lover and devour several books a week.  The polka is the only dance I ever learned.  I will celebrate Indigenous Peoples Day.   Not only do they deserve a day of recognition, they deserve our respect every day.  I attended an EXC talk on our Alaskan cruise last September about the indigenous peoples of Alaska and what the US government did to try to destroy the culture.  Our history has many moments that do not bring us pride. 

Today's meal sounds good to me.  

Phở or pho is a Vietnamese soup dish consisting of broth, rice noodles , herbs, and meat (usually beef , sometimes chicken  Pho is a popular food in Vietnam where it is served in households, street stalls and restaurants countrywide. Nam Định people were the first to create Vietnamese traditional Pho. Pho is considered Vietnam's national dish. Pho originated in the early 20th century in northern Vietnam, and was popularized throughout the world by refugees after the Vietnam War. 

1719355160_pho1.jpg.f1da26b2192337c18ef525cf40adba37.jpg

Traditionally, pho is made with strips of beef, and the broth is flavored with fish sauce. To make a vegetarian pho,  substitute shiitake mushrooms for the beef and used tamari (or soy sauce) instead of the fish sauce.  Be sure to sautee the mushrooms in oil to help give the broth some depth of flavor.  

https://cookieandkate.com/vegetarian-pho-recipe/

2037715130_pho2.thumb.jpg.644b66a64698b2362cd356c6c6cc2e44.jpg

There are some great ideas here on substitutions you can make to tailor the soup to your liking.   https://www.loveandlemons.com/easy-vegetarian-pho/

1789745771_pho3.thumb.jpg.4cd848cdb7644f7a22ee9d1f5a683e59.jpg

This one has a slightly different seasoning in addition to the traditional herbs.  I like the idea of lime.  I'm wondering how this would do with the addition of some shrimp.  

https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/vegetarian-vegan-pho-recipe/

1040791647_pho4.thumb.jpg.067630549e34d4bee565aa5c05a694a6.jpg

I think I would like this soup.  I'd probably use zoodles to reduce the carbs.  Rice in any form wreaks havoc on my blood sugar, so I wouldn't try the rice noodles.  The rest of it would be great.  And, I might just toss in some shrimp to try it!

Wishing you all a wonderful day .

• Like 24
  • Thanks 12

I am a book lover, an actual book, not an ereader.  I am lucky enough to have a wonderful public library with a drive through window.  I order books online and pick the up weekly.  I enjoy mysteries,  the best one I read this year was called “The Maid" by Nita Prose.  I also like historical fiction, I suggest “Lessons in Chemistry" by Bonnie Garmus about a woman chemist in the 1960s.

I’d love to hear about the best books you read this year.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good @dfish any of the recipes look appealing.  It’s another hot and humid day today.  If the weather people are correct this is the last day of the heat wave.  It would be nice to give the ac a rest.  Off to work.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

• Like 24

Thank you for the Tuesday Report, Rich.  I love all 3 of the days.  The Day for Indigenous People is especially appropriate.  Love the quote from the Alchemist.  Never been to Angola.  Not sure about the meal.  My alternative is Orange and Avacado Carousel, Chilled Mango Gazpacho, and Blackened Strip Loin Steak  as served on MS Prinsendam August 9, 2011.

Today’s care list:

RIP Olivia Newton-Johb
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
Slow recovery for smitty and Tana
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining despite rally
Tana with persistent problems
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Shadow/Little in Kazu’s care and making progress
Welcome home Crabbi Patti
Volendam caring for refugees
StLouisCruisers on road trip
A good Mayo visit for Cruzn Terri
Live4cruises in NC Hills to 8/11
Aliaschief touring Hebrides to 8/14
6 days for Aliaschief (Rotterdam 8/14 to 8/28)
Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), Mister67 (Equinox  to 8/13), AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 8/14) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Good morning friends!  It's a much cooler morning here than we're used to ---   65F.  Should be a nice day with a high of only 77F.  After a hectic race around the house by DS's eldest son looking for last minute needed items at this week's orchestra camp, he is now dropped off at the bus taking the camp participants to a small city near Traverse City.  All packing was supposed to be done last night but you know teenagers!!

Thanks Rich @richwmnfor the Daily and Fleet Report.  Nice group of days to celebrate; books, Indigenouse people and the polka.  Love the quote, the pho looks interesting, no thanks to the drink and wine.  Luanda, Angola was last port of the day May 23, 2021.  We have not been there before, so thanks to anyone who has photos to share.  Also thanks to Roy @rafinmd, Debbie @dfish, Dixie @summer slope and Ann @cat shepardfor their important contributions.  Prayers for our people in need and cheers for the celebrants.  Stay cool Graham @grapau27and don't stay in the direct sunlight too long.  The blue hair looks nice Ann @marshhawk.

I'm not sure what's on the agenda the rest of the day, but DS is already off to his daily gym workout.  DDIL is showing DH her treadmill with the workouts from different places around the globe.  They were just looking at a walk around Oslo.  Seems like it would keep you entertained while getting your exercise.  At home on our treadmill all I get is the morning news to entertain me!

DD posted a photo of Sadie wearing her halter and leash, sprawled out on her back in the grass so I guess that's as far as she moved.  The "taking a walk saga" continues!

Have a wonderful day all!

Edited by StLouisCruisers
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Report, Rich.  I love all 3 of the days.  The Day for Indigenous People is especially appropriate.  Love the quote from the Alchemist.  Never been to Angola.  Not sure about the meal.  My alternative is Orange and Avacado Carousel, Chilled Mango Gazpacho, and Blackened Strip Loin Steak  as served on MS Prinsendam August 9, 2011.

Today’s care list:

RIP Olivia Newton-Johb
Atrex6 Father severely declining
Crabbi Patti’s father and now son with Covid
Slow recovery for smitty and Tana
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 8/14)
From the rotation:
Heartgrove brother discharged but rapidly declining despite rally
Tana with persistent problems
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Amy adjusting to widowhood and children

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Shadow/Little in Kazu’s care and making progress
Welcome home Crabbi Patti
Volendam caring for refugees
StLouisCruisers on road trip
A good Mayo visit for Cruzn Terri
Live4cruises in NC Hills to 8/11
Aliaschief touring Hebrides to 8/14
6 days for Aliaschief (Rotterdam 8/14 to 8/28)
Cat in My Lap (Zaandam to 8/13), Mister67 (Equinox  to 8/13), AMRDS (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 8/14) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for posting today's lists Roy.

Graham.

• Like 14

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!   I will celebrate all the days, and I'll pass on the pho.  DH loves it.  I'm just not much into meals that consists of so much fluid in such a large bowl.

I  have favorite books, and I love actual books.  I want to hold it in my hands, put it down page down,  and come back to it.  Books don't need batteries, or electricity, a good book, is pure energy.  

I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy every year.  All three books, because the characters and the story are dear to my heart.  I love And Ladies of the Club, and while I have two copies, they are both falling apart, so I only read it every three years.  I need to find more copies.

Book club really hasn't read anything that grabbed me this year, but I am about to pcik up and read my new favorite author-Randy Wayne White, the book is North of Havana.  Part of the Doc Ford series.

de5631b05d936f2b08e7645eeb58e073--tuesday-pictures-morning-quotes.jpg

• Like 34

Hello everyone and wishing you a great day.  We are heading to town to pick up prescriptions and drop off a package to UPS.  It was 46 when I got up, my poor tomatoes.  @richwmnand @rafinmdthank you for the daily reports. @dfishthanks for the recipes the first one looked best to me. The wine looked great and everyone thanks for the funnies.

Last night's dinner for my DS and DN.  My plate looks a little empty I took the picture before I put salad on it. 

IMG_20220808_160646217.jpg

• Like 32
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. I will celebrate all if the days  and try one  of the pho recipes  tonight. Books have always been my solace and comfort even though I use an eReader now. I also enjoy mysteries and historical  fiction. I recently read all of the Benjamin Black/John Banville books and enjoyed his Dublin Pathologist.  There are also many excellent Scandinavian  writers now published in English.DSIL uses his employee benefits to import them to my eReader. I could easily spend the  whole day reading.

@marshhawk, Ann, your hair is lovely! It would cost more than that  around here.

@rafinmd Roy, thank you for having us all on the list but I think we are over the worst of it.We do remain concerned  about Tana as her respiratory  issues are significant. 

My best to all of you

Terry

• Like 30
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily! I've always loved books; I've enjoyed reading ever since I was a child.  Since I purchased an e-reader a number of years ago (and graduated to an iPad mini), I can carry hundreds of books with me wherever I go and not have to worry about excess luggage fees.  I'm proud to say I have Indigenous ancestry.  DH and I haven't had the opportunity to dance a polka in years, but I'm sure we still can.  I really like today's quote.

It's a bright, sunny day this morning with temperatures forecast for a little cooler (by only a few degrees) than yesterday.  There's a fairly stiff breeze blowing from the north-west, so our friends who were supposed to go up in a hot air balloon this morning will have to wait for another day unless they want to end up in Minnesota!

DH and his friend are packing up right now to get set up to entertain at a local food bank / soup kitchen later this morning.  They were contacted by one of the people who run the facility and of course said they would like to perform for folks who don't normally get any kind of live entertainment.  While they're out, I'll tackle the yard tasks - watering, dead-heading, and trying to keep ahead of the dandelions.

@marshhawklove the blue; good for you for taking a chance!

I really like today's menu suggestion - which by the way, is pronounced fa - but also enjoy it with the addition of either shrimp or beef.  We have an abundance of tomatoes from our 2 little tomato plants, so I'll be frying up bacon on the side burner of the barbecue and we'll be having simple bacon, tomato and basil sandwiches along with some crudites in the pergola tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine and for the grain leaving the ports.  We'll raise the glasses and salute those on the celebration list.  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear masks as needed, and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 37

Pina Colada Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
1 part Cruzan® Coconut Rum
1 part Cruzan® Pineapple Rum
1 part Pineapple Juice
Pineapple Wedge

Instructions
Combine the Cruzan® Rums together into a mixing glass with ice and add a splash of pineapple juice. Stir and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a pineapple wedge.

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 9.09.28 AM.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 10

Good morning from central Texas. I need to turn on the sprinkler in the front yard to give my drought tolerant plants some water.  Otherwise the only green in the yerd is the weeds which refuse to die and seem immune to weed killer.

I'm an avid reader so books are always celebrated here.  I have an ereader for cruises and it is used sometimes in land too.  We can learn a lot from Indigenous people, especially how to care fot the environment.   I never learned the polka, but older DD played in a polka band.

I like today’s quote.

I might try the meal, but probably won't make it.  The wine sounds nice, but I'll skip the drink.

We have been to five countries in western Africa, but not Angola.

@smitty34877  Terry, I'm glad all are feeling better.  Sending positive thoughts that Tana's breathing improves.

Lenda 

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Thank for the Daily Fleet Report!

I love, love, love books.  When dh and I moved into this house, he made the second largest bedroom into a library and we also have books shelves in every room of the house other than the bathroom and kitchen.  I do have two glass front cupboards in the kitchen that have recipe books in them.  This summer I am reading my way through all of our Janet Evanovich books.  Last summer I read all of the Anne of Green Gables books. 

Pho is  a favourite restaurant meal for us.  When I tell people we are going for Vietnamese, I will always order the soup.  It is possible to just eat the noodles and meat/vegetables. Just use the chopsticks and forget about using the spoon.  There were times that I wasn't feeling 100% and I would order the chicken pho and just  have the broth, so I only used the spoon and left the chopsticks on the table. I also put a squirt of lime juice along with 4 or 5 drops of hot sauce.  The first time I had this soup was 1994 and I've been hooked on it ever since.

• Like 31

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here! 

Sam gave us a bit of a scare yesterday. We knew going in when we adopted him that he had a severe case of Hip Dysplasia. We also knew that he would have a shortened life and that we would be the one's deciding it for him. He will be ten in November and tomorrow it will be the first anniversary of his "Furr-Ever Day" when we adopted him. Lately he has been reluctant to go outside when he should. I just thought it was the typical Malamute obstinence, and maybe reaction to the heat outside. I had started giving him a low dose of pain killer twice a day that was left over from our previous Malamute, Juno. Sam had also developed a need to be near someone through the day by crying in a little voice when left alone. He now sleeps most of the day like older dogs do.

It was a normal morning yesterday where I fed him and then put him in the yard until time for his walk. Strangely we didn't hear him stir like he usually does to let us know it was time for a walk about an hour later. Sue went down to get him and found that he could not stand up. His left rear leg is the worst of the two and drags along when walking. Somehow his right leg had been folded under the left so couldn't get it to move. By coaxing him to face a different direction we were able to gat him up. We then noticed that he had defecated while laying down. It was "Shades of Juno" at the end all over again! 

We called for an appointment to see his vet at the end of the day. She took notice that he is losing muscle in his rear legs which then exasperates the Hip Dysplasia. She prescribed the same pain killer but upped the dose slightly to three times a day. She also recommended water therapy to see how he would tolerate that. I will call today to find out more.

I didn't think that it would be this soon but I guess we are headed downhill now. With luck maybe 1-1/2 years. The vet made an interesting comment. With most dogs, you hope for warmer weather. But because the Northern Breeds tolerate Winter better, it is the opposite.  And even though in A/C most of the day, they still have trouble with the increased humidity.

An Update on my Brother: He seems to be holding his own with no further change. It is really wearing on my DSIL as I could tell from her voice. She only has one traveling nurse helping her with his care. Luckily he seems able to sleep through the night.

RIP: Judith Durham (The Seekers), Olivia Newton-John, and David McCullough.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 22

Good morning all. We are much cooler and less humid this morning but got less than a half inch of rain yesterday. 

i am a voracious reader, both with Books in the hand and on my iPad. My favourite author is Louise Penny and her inspector gamache series that take place mostly in Montreal and the eastern townships of Quebec. Just recently discovered mark Pryor and his Hugo marsten series that take place in Paris. But I also read for fun, like Janet evanovich and Mary daheim. I wish I had kept track of all the books I have read! One genre I generally don’t read is non fiction. Those I can count on one hand. Michelle obama’s book is on that list as well as a biography of Dwight Eisenhower and a book about IBM. I just finished the librarian spy by Madeline Martin, historical fiction re WWII. So eclectic as well as voracious!

prayers for those that need them and cheers to those celebrating. Be safe!

• Like 33

58 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. I will celebrate all if the days  and try one  of the pho recipes  tonight. Books have always been my solace and comfort even though I use an eReader now. I also enjoy mysteries and historical  fiction. I recently read all of the Benjamin Black/John Banville books and enjoyed his Dublin Pathologist.  There are also many excellent Scandinavian  writers now published in English.DSIL uses his employee benefits to import them to my eReader. I could easily spend the  whole day reading.

@marshhawk, Ann, your hair is lovely! It would cost more than that  around here.

@rafinmd Roy, thank you for having us all on the list but I think we are over the worst of it.We do remain concerned  about Tana as her respiratory  issues are significant. 

My best to all of you

Terry

Sending Tana our prayers 🙏  for an improvement in her health condition.

Love from us both 💕 P&G x

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1