Shocking...just Shocking??

kjwinston2019

OKAY, now for the test of the day" Power surge? What is okay to come on board that the security will not confiscate. I see so many on Amazon and they say they are okay but, when you go out to the reviews the secuity are taking them. 

The you tubers seem to have some but I looked them upo and they are also being pulled? What really is a good one? anyone really know? 

$1000 bill.jpg

Been on 7 X sailings since the pandemic, have never had an issue with getting a non-surge extension cord on including one sailing where I arrived after 3pm and the porters were gone so used the terminal XRay.  I knew surge protectors were banned but thought these okay until someone on here told they're banned too.  I'll continue to attempt to bring it on, if it's taken I'll most likely get my extension cord back at the end of the cruise and if it gets "lost", it was only $10

What are you needing to plug in? If it has a cord with outlets, it’s likely to be considered as a banned extension cord. If it’s surge protected HOPEFULLY it gets confiscated. 

If you’re charging electronics, get a USB A/C hub with a detachable cord and USB C to lightning, USB C to Micro USB, or USB C to USB C cords. And leave the adapterS at home. 

The power strips with USB are probably the worst of all worlds unless you’re charging a 15 year old device!

Edited by markeb

On 8/9/2022 at 7:49 PM, cruisestitch said:

if you need an extension cord for a medical device call Special Needs and order one (you can also order free distilled water)

@cruisestitch Can you tell me how I can "call" Special needs once I am on board?

I contact shoreside special needs for bed wedges for my GERD, they say fine, and the info never seems to get to my cabin attendant. This past April, they didn't have any wedges on the ship(Summit)!

If I was in a suite, they would call to make sure I had the booze of my choice in my suite. Apparently that is more important than handling guests with medical conditions.

On 8/9/2022 at 4:52 PM, lasekeye said:

They will not allow “surge protected” of any kind.  A basic multi plug will be fine.  We always travel with one of these…they also make ones with USB plugs built in too.

F5AF8B6B-270C-471A-B4EF-44670B8B70BC.jpeg

Used this on several cruises, never a problem...image.jpeg.13fa88543b7b46fa2897e707014465bf.jpeg

circular cord.jpg

• Like 1

Do not take anything in your checked luggage that may be confiscated.   If they see something that isn’t allowed or on the border line they will call you to the naughty room.  From what I have read they make sure that you wait a long time getting the issue resolved and not at a convenient time.   This also delays your luggage getting delivered. 

If I think it won’t pass thru I take it in my carry on.   They will take it and you are on your way.   There will be a table when you disembark that have the confiscated items with a person making sure it is yours.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If it is not allowed don't take it. The rules are for everyone's own protection. They are absolutely accustomed to passengers needing extension cords for CPAPs and other medical equipment, and have ample on board.  Other than that, do without.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, miched said:

Do not take anything in your checked luggage that may be confiscated.   If they see something that isn’t allowed or on the border line they will call you to the naughty room.  From what I have read they make sure that you wait a long time getting the issue resolved and not at a convenient time.   This also delays your luggage getting delivered. 

If I think it won’t pass thru I take it in my carry on.   They will take it and you are on your way.   There will be a table when you disembark that have the confiscated items with a person making sure it is yours.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Ditto. If they want to confiscate it, do it as I check in at the pier. I've only had to go to the naughty room once and it was a PITA! As it turned out the reason they "flagged" my checked bag was for a small portable fan that I was permitted to take to my room as it turns out. No prohibition for a fan! But the experience of having to find the naughty room, open my suitcase there, then either wait for a porter or  take that large bag to my cabin myself was enough! Now I pack items I think might be questionable in my carry on, and have never had a problem with extension cord.

And I no longer bring a fan from home.😉

Doug

On 8/11/2022 at 1:45 PM, bookitdanno said:

@cruisestitch Can you tell me how I can "call" Special needs once I am on board?

I contact shoreside special needs for bed wedges for my GERD, they say fine, and the info never seems to get to my cabin attendant. This past April, they didn't have any wedges on the ship(Summit)!

If I was in a suite, they would call to make sure I had the booze of my choice in my suite. Apparently that is more important than handling guests with medical conditions.

I suppose the wedge is to support your head to prevent acid reflux instead of a pillow?

2 hours ago, bookitdanno said:

Yes. Pillows just bend my neck, the wedge is what my MD recommends at I use at home. 

Hubby needs one, but I was planning to bring ours. We are flying to the port on our next cruise (first since COVID), but airlines check medical equipment free - it doesn't count in baggage allowance. We will take one suitcase for all the "stuff" he needs.

7 hours ago, GRBlizz said:

Hubby needs one, but I was planning to bring ours. We are flying to the port on our next cruise (first since COVID), but airlines check medical equipment free - it doesn't count in baggage allowance. We will take one suitcase for all the "stuff" he needs.

Exactly. Bring your own or invest in an inflatable that won't take up much room. Amazon has many available.

On 8/11/2022 at 1:45 PM, Pickels said:

Used this on several cruises, never a problem...image.jpeg.13fa88543b7b46fa2897e707014465bf.jpeg

circular cord.jpg

I have something very similar. The body is rectangular rather than circular but, like yours, has the "pigtail" AC cord. 

As this is our first X cruise coming up at the end of the month, I've been reading this thread with considerable interest and in fear that my go-to charger apparatus will be confiscated. I'm comforted to know that you've sailed X with yours without a problem. 

I've taken mine of multiple cruise lines over many years without even a hint of a problem but the mere mention of issues as discussed in this thread makes me nervous. 😬

I really like this power expander and I don't think they would take it up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ADDENDUM: What I posted is technically a "surge protector," but I've never had any problem bringing one onboard.

Edited by Mississippian

We always hope that we don't need to charge everything at once but we will each have a laptop, a kindle, a phone, and we share an electric toothbrush and a GoPro so 8 devices in total. An extension cable or multi socket device is really useful where there are few USBs.

On 8/9/2022 at 9:24 PM, Mark_K said:

Don’t forget that you can use a European-US adapter to get yourself another outlet.

We’re looking for suggestions for these types of adapters.

We’re on Summit in October, where there are no North American plugs in the bathroom except for “shaver only.” An adapter that could plug into the European style outlets, but give us a North American face would be very helpful.

One additional question…do we need to consider a straight “adapter” or do we need a “transformer” unit to take current exchange into consideration?

Thanks so much for any assistance.

Randy

4 hours ago, KatieDub said:

I never understand the need for a power extender... How many devices are you guys charging 🤪

MacBook (laptop), airpods, Apple watch, two iphones, camera battery, shaver. In truth, Macbook could charge the Apple devices, but I'm not sure its charging brick will fit into the space allotted in the charger box. I will bring a plain plug adapter just in case.

7 hours ago, Mississippian said:

I really like this power expander and I don't think they would take it up.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATZJ5YS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ADDENDUM: What I posted is technically a "surge protector," but I've never had any problem bringing one onboard.

NO  Never bring a device like this with surge protector.  It can damage the ships electrical system and possibly cause a fire.  Just because you get away with it doesn't mean is safe.

Get one without a surge suppressor

Edited by wrk2cruise
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

One additional question…do we need to consider a straight “adapter” or do we need a “transformer” unit to take current exchange into consideration?

It depends on what you plan on plugging in to it.   I use a straight adapter as I use it for my multi-port USB charger which is dual voltage.   Just make sure anything you plug into it can handle 240v.

Last time on Summit my stateroom attendant would continually unplug the charger from the outlet when I had nothing charging.

Edited by wrk2cruise