The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 16th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Roller Coaster Day, National Tell a Joke Day, and National Roller Coaster Day

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.--J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Meal Suggestion for today - Grilled Onion & Skirt Steak Tacos
Drink of the Day - Elderflower Martini
Wine of the Day - Errazuriz Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Series,Valle d
Destination of the Day - Koper, Slovenia

Eurodam

Glacier Bay, Alaska - Icy Strait Point, Hoonah, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Skagway Alaska US 7:00 AM To 8:00 PM

Nieuw Amsterdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 07:00 - 15:00

Nieuw Statendam

Reykjavik, Iceland 10:00 - 23:00

Noordam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:30 - 18:30

Oosterdam

Mykonos Island, Greece 12:00 - 18:00

Rotterdam

Eidfjord, Norway Hardangerfjord 07:00 - 15:00

Westerdam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 21:00

Zaandam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 10:00 - 18:00

Zuiderdam

At Sea Destination Vancouver, BC Canada eta 08/17

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0816World.thumb.png.8b9117ecc929a6146a6c91c03ac962a4.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 12

Good morning.

It is currently 11.40am raining and 62°F.

Thank you for the fleet reports and Daily Rich.

Tell a joke every day is good for a laugh.

I have never been keen on Roller coasters but have been on Disney's 

Space mountain.

Runaway train.

Pirates of the Caribbean.

Unusual quote.

Food sounds nice as does the Marlborough Sauvignon.

Sending best wishes for everyone who is currently unwell to get better soon.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Graham.

• Like 25

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

We've got a nice sunny afternoon in the forecast, high of 26C and a chance of rain this evening.  Sounds like a good day!

I'm not a fan of roller coasters and I can't tell  a joke, but I like to hear them.

Interesting quote, I'm a Tolkien fan.

The meal sounds good.  I'd like to try the drink.  I hope the wine is good too.

We've never been to Koper, thanks to all who will post pictures.

Have a wonderful Tuesday.

Prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 26

Thank you for the Tuesday Report, Rich.  2 hump days in a row, over the hump on August today and on the week tomorrow.  I used to love roller coasters and still enjoy a good quote.  Not sure what to make of the meal or the quote.  My alternative is Sunset Salad, Orange and Grapefruit Medley and Spaghetti Amatriciana with Grilled Chicken Breast which would have been my choices on MS Prinsendam August 4, 2011 if I had not had a large Pinnacle Grill  Lunch.  I noted changes in HAL Covid protocol yesterday but they might have a few too many political ramifications to be appropriate on the Daily.

Today’s care list:

Devastating news on Shadow
HorizonChaser1957 DD endangered in Taiwan
Fires near Seasick Sailor
Tana with persistent problems
ger_77,  DH, and DS with covid
RIP Koningsdam entertainer Anthony Lorenzo Hopkins 8/9/22
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Vict0riann awaiting colonoscopy
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Strength and healing for Kazu
Painful falls for Marshhawk, and Lindaler

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam caring for refugees
New granddaughter for Heartgrove
1 day for Av8rix (Zuiderdam 8/17 to 8/31)
Welcome home dfish
Copper10_8 (Zaandam to 8/20) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 15

7 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Report, Rich.  2 hump days in a row, over the hump on August today and on the week tomorrow.  I used to love roller coasters and still enjoy a good quote.  Not sure what to make of the meal or the quote.  My alternative is Sunset Salad, Orange and Grapefruit Medley and Spaghetti Amatriciana with Grilled Chicken Breast which would have been my choices on MS Prinsendam August 4, 2011 if I had not had a large Pinnacle Grill  Lunch.  I noted changes in HAL Covid protocol yesterday but they might have a few too many political ramifications to be appropriate on the Daily.

Today’s care list:

Devastating news on Shadow
HorizonChaser1957 DD endangered in Taiwan
Fires near Seasick Sailor
Tana with persistent problems
ger_77,  DH, and DS with covid
RIP Koningsdam entertainer Anthony Lorenzo Hopkins 8/9/22
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Vict0riann awaiting colonoscopy
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining
Strength and healing for Kazu
Painful falls for Marshhawk, and Lindaler

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Volendam caring for refugees
New granddaughter for Heartgrove
1 day for Av8rix (Zuiderdam 8/17 to 8/31)
Welcome home dfish
Copper10_8 (Zaandam to 8/20) , Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy.

Grapefruit is a no no with my heart medication.

Graham.

• Like 15

Good morning from beautiful Southwest Florida. 

I like the quote.

I think we have a misprint with 2 National Roller Coaster days, that's OK as in my youth I was a roller coaster freak, those from Chicago will remember Riverview Park and it's 5 roller coasters including The Bobs which was my favorite of all time. Back in the day at Riverview you could stay on the rides as many times as you liked, first ride was 25 cents and 10 cents for each additional ride, we would ride the Bobs usually 5 times. 

I'm not much of a joke teller but love hearing a good joke.

Pass on the meal and libation.

I have mixed feelings with the cruise lines doing away with testing, things will be a lot easier but unfortunately Covid is still with us 

Thanks for The Daily, stay well and have a great day.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet update and other things. Did you mean to include it is also National Rum Day!

Wow, it’s National Tell a Joke Day!

I am Speechless !😀

Just kidding!

Hear goes:

You might be a redneck if taking your wife on a cruise means circling Dairy Queen

You might be a redneck if while on a cruise an announcement is made at noon on the ship’s PA System, “This is your Captain Speaking”, you think that’s his or her name.

• Like 7
  • Haha 21

24 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

I think we have a misprint with 2 National Roller Coaster days, that's OK as in my youth I was a roller coaster freak, those from Chicago will remember Riverview Park and it's 5 roller coasters including The Bobs which was my favorite of all time.

12 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Did you mean to include it is also National Rum Day!

Each morning I have a pre-selected list of celebrations. Today had a blank space and I filled it in without looking at the others. We could add National Rum Day, along with National Bratwurst Day, but I try to stay away from food and drink in the celebration list due to having a meal, drink, and wine of the day.

It is also National Airborne Day and National True Love Forever Day. I hope your day is great however you celebrate it.

Rich

• Like 23
  • Thanks 8

1 minute ago, richwmn said:

Each morning I have a pre-selected list of celebrations. Today had a blank space and I filled it in without looking at the others. We could add National Rum Day, along with National Bratwurst Day, but I try to stay away from food and drink in the celebration list due to having a meal, drink, and wine of the day.

It is also National Airborne Day and National True Love Forever Day. I hope your day is great however you celebrate it.

Rich

I will drink to that (Rum) !

• Like 17

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Another lovely start to the day. The sun just crested my neighbor’s trees. The birds have been very vocal lately. I think they are enjoy these mornings, too. 

Thank you for our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites! Gym, Bindi walks, chores, and possibly a visit to the local wine bar are in my future. 

This may be a repeat, but it made me smile. I am certain that Bindi would not like this at all. 

C77A5306-275F-47A5-8DEF-CD76A063AFDD.jpeg.f816ff56e2eb4092e372570e30fc60d3.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Errazuriz Cabernet Sauvignon Estate Series

This Chilean Cab has very good reviews from consumers and critics alike. Its reasonable price tag makes it an easy one to try. Available from several online distributors with prices starting at $11.92.

Distributor Notes

Don Maximiano Errázuriz founded Viña Errázuriz in 1870 in the Aconcagua Valley. This family owned winery continues to create exciting wines searching for the perfect combination of soil, climate and variety. Hand-harvested and aged in French and American oak barrels to add complexity while retaining the vibrant, youthful fruit. Aromas of cherries, cranberries, spice, tobacco, and vanilla precede the lively palate full of red fruit flavour with a touch of caramel. Serve with red meats and hard cheeses.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 4

Good morning, everyone.

It is good to be back in northeast Ohio, but I am looking forward to not having to make that trip once I move.  I was so tired last night I wanted to go to bed at 8:30.  I forced myself to stay up until 10 so I wouldn't be up at 4 am this morning.  Today is the pool, grocery store, and laundry.  That should keep me busy.  Then, I have to start preparing different rooms to be painted.  Joy, joy, joy!

Today's meal is one I would love with low carb tortillas.  I love marinated flank steak or skirt steak, especially when done on the grill.  Marinating the steak is an important step as both kinds can be tough.  The acids in the marinade help tenderize the meat as well as adding flavor.  For more information on marinades, you can read this article.  https://www.thespruceeats.com/marinade-overview-and-tips-335970   I do marinate some meats longer than they suggest with good results.  When I make speidies I marinate the meat for several days.  I mentioned that to the butcher once and he turned to his colleague and said, "She gets it."  

1040203554_marinate1.thumb.jpg.fcd215afc8d2396542564fb2d2c000b3.jpg

Skirt steak is a cut of beef steak from the plate. It is long, flat, and prized for its flavor rather than tenderness. It is not to be confused with hanger steak, a generally similar adjacent cut also from the plate.

Though it is from a different part of the animal, its general characteristics and uses cause it to be confused with both flank steak, taken from the flank behind the plate and the flap meat from the bottom sirloin behind the flank and above the rear quarter.

Skirt steak is the cut of choice for making fajitas, arrachera, Chinese stir-fry, churrasco, and in Cornish pasties.

To minimize toughness and add flavor, skirt steaks are often marinated before grilling, pan-seared or grilled very quickly, or cooked very slowly, typically braised. They are typically sliced against the grain before serving to maximize tenderness.

In this first recipe the skirt steak is marinated in beer and lime juice. The onions are green onions.    https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/grilled-onion-skirt-steak-tacos/

1286323605_onionandskirtsteaktacos1.jpg.87bf9f86d5134a0d3a9cb27a8c073d47.jpg

This next recipe marinates the steak in a chipotle blend and uses pickled red onions.   https://leitesculinaria.com/114203/recipes-grilled-skirt-steak-tacos.html

1628813966_onionandskirtsteaktacos2.thumb.jpg.b83e530d1e8e6910c4929d74e064228d.jpg

This recipe calls for a citrus marinade.  It marinates the onions along with the steak and then grills them up for a topping.   https://www.thekitchn.com/steak-tacos-23345539

875388084_onionandskirtsteaktacos3.thumb.jpg.0ab65a5b9939837affbb92a73f9fadcc.jpg

Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Good morning friends!  Thanks so much for our Daily and Fleet report Rich @richwmn.  I like roller coasters, and telling a joke although I am really bad at doing so.  Much prefer hearing one!  I'll go along with National Rum day as well.  The grilled onion and skirt steak tacos sound good to me.  Thank you Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists although the Care list is way too long!  I hope we can whittle that down and add some celebrations to the Celebration list.  Prayers for everyone on the list.  I hope all are enjoying or will enjoy their cruises and that Covid doesn't strike any of you.  

DS and DDIL, in addition to the two grandsons will be leaving tomorrow for Singapore.  DDIL's late Father is being honored for his time served as President of a university there.  This celebration has been delayed due to heavy Covid restrictions.  He passed away just before Covid struck, on Nov. 30, 2019.  They will return home at the end of next week and the boys will need to get back for the new school year.  I don't envy them those plane rides!

Thinking of Jacqui and all she has to get through in the coming days and weeks.  I hope Little Shadow is doing well.  

I haven't been to Koper or anywhere in Slovenia.  I'm sure it's a beautiful place due to it's location between northern Italy and Croatia.  Looking forward to everyone's photos!

The last time we had Koper listed was June 19, 2021, and it is on page 46 of Rich's activity secion on his profile. If you posted there before here's where you can locate your photos to copy and paste them here.  

That's all for now.  Have a great day everyone!

• Like 28

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, and thank you Debbie for today's recipes. And thank you all for being here! 

We drove over to meet my new granddaughter yesterday. I confess that I made a mistake on spelling her name. There is only one "L" so it is spelled Lily. They had actually picked out the name about six months ago - but had kept it secret until now. She already has a nickname that my daughter called her while pregnant, Lily Bean. Taking it further she can be "L.L. Bean'"  😁 I suggested that they buy stock for her. Sue and I both held her. She is so precious! My daughter is doing well, and family will be going home on Thursday. My daughter has asked us to hold off on publishing photos for the time being so I will respect her wishes.

Sam has been doing better with the increased medication but the weather (rain and fog) must have affected him yesterday. It is tough seeing a big dog take stairs one at a time so his rear legs can catch up.

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good, @dfish thanks for the pictures and recipes.  I haven’t been on a roller coaster in a very long time.  The Comet at Hershey Park was my favorite.  I hope everyone has a good Tuesday.

My sister adopted a new puppy yesterday.  Welcome to Raven.

image.thumb.png.a08ecfe50ad852aecb055f69d694af2b.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds good, @dfish thanks for the pictures and recipes.  I haven’t been on a roller coaster in a very long time.  The Comet at Hershey Park was my favorite.  I hope everyone has a good Tuesday.

My sister adopted a new puppy yesterday.  Welcome to Raven.

image.thumb.png.a08ecfe50ad852aecb055f69d694af2b.png

Very handsome dog.  Is it a male or female?  Should grow up to be a big dog!

• Like 17