The Fleet Report and Daily for Tuesday August 16th, 2022

richwmn

An early good morning from central Texas before I make a grocery run.

I have never been fond of roller coasters or anything with a sudden drop.  When we were in Hong Kong in 2018, we decided to ride the Star Wars ride at Disneyland.  Little did we know it was Space Mountain on steroids.  I kept my eyes closed the whole time, and leaned heavily on DH, but at least I did not scream.  We both had to find a bench and sit down until our legs quit shaking after we got off the ride.  I am not a good joke teller, but I'll celebrate rum day, especially if it's Captain Morgans.

An interesting quote.

I like the meal suggestion and the wine sounds good.  We'll pass on the drink.

@rafinmd  Roy, I also saw the new Covid protocols,  After reading some of the posts on the thread about them, I agree that it is probably too political for the Fleet/Daily.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, safe travels for your DS, DDIL and their sons.

@Heartgrove  Jack, I'm glad Lily and her mother are doing well .  I'm sorry Sam is having trouble with stairs.

@Crazy For Cats  Welcome, Raven.

We have been to Koper once, and the following is what I posted on June 19, 2021.

We were in Koper, Slovenia, in 2016 on the Prinsendam's revised itinerary after the Black Sea cruise was cancelled.  We were there on a Sunday, so the town was fairly quiet.  The Thompson Dream (the old Westerdam) was in port with us, but her passengers were not in town when we were.  The Dream was having a major drill including passengers at the request of the local fire and rescue authorizes.  It was interesting to watch part of it from the bluff overlooking the harbor.  Thankfully, there was an elevator to reach the top of the bluff.  We walked around town and looked in a few shops that were open. 

These were taken on the bluff before we entered the old walled part of the town.  They had a good view from here.

DSC08301.thumb.JPG.0d563a769d454e75a0fdc9a6dc1b31a4.JPG

DSC08302.thumb.JPG.a1b2c13cab9570fb66d5e141a6cb7de5.JPG

DSC08313.thumb.JPG.4e3bdbac6bcb800d870d3c55226ff119.JPG

The central square in the old city and the church tower, which a friend climbed.

DSC08304.thumb.JPG.9622c84db0f6e24b7f93936158e1f886.JPG

DSC08305.thumb.JPG.08ba3bae2bac3de784d5b058e20e6d56.JPG

DSC08306.thumb.JPG.d97d9c20b9ea8823b7219f5762ff482b.JPG

The interior of the church

DSC08308.thumb.JPG.b0e9df3e588ee250d3d58f14d12061d9.JPG

Scenes from our walk around town.

DSC08303.thumb.JPG.78e7cfb462c1cdf0440d1adf65a85c16.JPG

DSC08307.thumb.JPG.9edac2c9026beb0d702d5852273735ff.JPG

DSC08310.thumb.JPG.75d321873502671ce8eea6e545fd6865.JPG

DSC08309.thumb.JPG.dcab07f657d95b6245a0856d2cfc514e.JPG

From here you could go down to the lower part of town and the shopping district.  We decided to stay in the old town.

DSC08311.thumb.JPG.06b25d400a40d988b6ff52b6ea691c9d.JPG

A inviting looking restaurant, but it was too soon after breakfast to give it a try.

DSC08312.thumb.JPG.e2fadbbbba0e38a6d0655b8adead617b.JPG

Back on the pier with the bow of the Thompson Dream, after they finished the drill where all the passengers and crew had to evacuate the ship.  Your can see some of the locals and their vehicles in the picture.

DSC08314.thumb.JPG.706339ce75a021b8fbde6fc7360e1f41.JPG

We enjoyed our day in Koper.  At that time, I don't think may ships had called there and it wasn't a big touristy port.

Lenda

• Like 27
  • Thanks 9

A beautiful day ahead here in northern Michigan.   We are going to have beautiful sun and 70s.  I went fishing yesterday because John was catching fish.  It was a brief trip for me because a feisty Bluegill ran a barbed hook into my left index finger. I saw immediately it wasn't going to come out in the boat we returned to the dock. With bush medicine techniques I used a new box cutter, lots of peroxide to thin my thick driving hand skin.  After a bit of sawing I cleared the path to pull it out.  Then prescription antibiotic ointment and a bandage. John had cut his finger washing wine glasses last week and his cut was deeper than mine.   Thankfully I had a tetanus shot two summers ago.  I will be watching it carefully for symptoms of infection. I will stay on land today.

Thank you for the reports and care and celebration lists.  Today's meal looks wonderful and would go great with today's vino.   Looking forward to seeing today's port photos when I sign on bright and early tomorrow. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 16

Good Tuesday Morning Dailyites!

DH had a very long visit with his new PA yesterday.  He has to schedule his next appointment in 4 months, but their computer was down at Emory.

He also got a call from his boss, his campaign has ended,  He will get a new one after Labor Day, and then we take vacation.  I did tell DH that he could ask his boss from the last campaign if he had something he could do for two weeks, other than that, he can take some time off and enjoy it. I will do a review upon my return.  Our time in Grand Cayman is very short, once we looked at the time, we might just get on the bus, and then back to the ship. 

The meal looks great, I could eat that for breakfast.  I love the quote, one of my favorites.

My computer gives me the weather-it currently says rain to stop.  Since the sky is blue, I guess I'm getting old weather, or someone else's weather.  Because our news man is saying that it will be sunny today and rain the rest of the week.

@Quartzsite CruiserThank you for posting the pictures this morning.  They are beautiful.

@ottahand7 Ouch!  I hope you are both OK.  This sound terribly painful.

@dfishI have always loved the idea of you and your sister getting a place together, I think you said you were doing that so you could minimize the household costs and maximize your traveling-but I forgot to ask, how close will your new home be to an airport to get to those cruise ships?

@Crazy For CatsRaven is a beautiful young lady puppy.

@rafinmdRoy, please take me off the rotation list for my last fall, it's been long enough, I'm healed, and now it's beginning to sound like a prediction....

2a5b61289d79fc07f917b97a52646e54.jpg

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 2

Very short post and not sure it will send with weak signal. Just dropping lines in Eidfjord, Norway. Our morning view and Fred Olsen Bolette next to us aka former MS Amsterdam!

Great time.

image.thumb.jpeg.d72af83d02b5d3f7f22631e918773193.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f3036c44d8fe98c8580909ef4b068f1a.jpeg

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 6

21 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@dfishI have always loved the idea of you and your sister getting a place together, I think you said you were doing that so you could minimize the household costs and maximize your traveling-but I forgot to ask, how close will your new home be to an airport to get to those cruise ships?

There is an airport 15 minutes from Midland, but it is small and expensive.  We have flown out of there before and it is a nice way to start a trip.  For next summer's trip we'll bite the bullet and pay the cost of flying out of there since we'll be gone so long.  We have a ride to the airport lined up and this allows us to avoid parking fees.   The other option is Detroit Metro, two hours away.

8 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Very short post and not sure it will send with weak signal. Just dropping lines in Eidfjord, Norway. Our morning view and Fred Olsen Bolette next to us aka former MS Amsterdam!

Great time.

image.thumb.jpeg.d72af83d02b5d3f7f22631e918773193.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.f3036c44d8fe98c8580909ef4b068f1a.jpeg

I loved Eidfjord!   We were lucky to visit twice on our cruise.  We were so excited when we heard we were going back.   Enjoy your time there.  There are some nice hikes that are not too strenuous.  The visitor's information office has trail maps and can give you information.

• Like 23

Good morning. We have another beautiful day here and I am back to being the principal dog walker in our family. It was a pleasure to walk this morning with a breeze and gorgeous blue skies.

I have always loved roller coasters but have had to be content  with watching grandchildren enjoy them. @mamaofami, Carol, do you remember the Dragon Coaster at Playland in Rye? 
The executive Chef is feeling more herself today and asked  for a potato leek soup for lunch. We decided on bean and cheese enchiladas for dinner. I better get to the grocery store.

Enjoy the day everyone.

Terry

• Like 28

Good morning to all.

Thank you to Rich for the Fleet Report and Daily.

I am not a fan of Roller Coasters.  My Mom instilled a fear of them when I was a kid and I have yet to get over it.  DH took me on one once in Great Adventure in New Jersey and I was crying when we got off.  He felt so bad.  Never again!  

I am not good at telling jokes but am always happy to enjoy a good joke.

Will pass on the food and drink.  I am making tomato sauce from scratch today and there will be enough to freeze for the future. A nice bottle of Chianti to go with it.

That’s on today’s agenda.

Thank you Roy for today’s lists.  Prayers for all on the cares list and cheers for those celebrating and cruising.  

Hope everyone is having a good day.  

God Bless.

Terri

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

An early good morning from central Texas before I make a grocery run.

I have never been fond of roller coasters or anything with a sudden drop.  When we were in Hong Kong in 2018, we decided to ride the Star Wars ride at Disneyland.  Little did we know it was Space Mountain on steroids.  I kept my eyes closed the whole time, and leaned heavily on DH, but at least I did not scream.  We both had to find a bench and sit down until our legs quit shaking after we got off the ride.  I am not a good joke teller, but I'll celebrate rum day, especially if it's Captain Morgans.

An interesting quote.

I like the meal suggestion and the wine sounds good.  We'll pass on the drink.

@rafinmd  Roy, I also saw the new Covid protocols,  After reading some of the posts on the thread about them, I agree that it is probably too political for the Fleet/Daily.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, safe travels for your DS, DDIL and their sons.

@Heartgrove  Jack, I'm glad Lily and her mother are doing well .  I'm sorry Sam is having trouble with stairs.

@Crazy For Cats  Welcome, Raven.

We have been to Koper once, and the following is what I posted on June 19, 2021.

We were in Koper, Slovenia, in 2016 on the Prinsendam's revised itinerary after the Black Sea cruise was cancelled.  We were there on a Sunday, so the town was fairly quiet.  The Thompson Dream (the old Westerdam) was in port with us, but her passengers were not in town when we were.  The Dream was having a major drill including passengers at the request of the local fire and rescue authorizes.  It was interesting to watch part of it from the bluff overlooking the harbor.  Thankfully, there was an elevator to reach the top of the bluff.  We walked around town and looked in a few shops that were open. 

These were taken on the bluff before we entered the old walled part of the town.  They had a good view from here.

DSC08301.thumb.JPG.0d563a769d454e75a0fdc9a6dc1b31a4.JPG

DSC08302.thumb.JPG.a1b2c13cab9570fb66d5e141a6cb7de5.JPG

DSC08313.thumb.JPG.4e3bdbac6bcb800d870d3c55226ff119.JPG

The central square in the old city and the church tower, which a friend climbed.

DSC08304.thumb.JPG.9622c84db0f6e24b7f93936158e1f886.JPG

DSC08305.thumb.JPG.08ba3bae2bac3de784d5b058e20e6d56.JPG

DSC08306.thumb.JPG.d97d9c20b9ea8823b7219f5762ff482b.JPG

The interior of the church

DSC08308.thumb.JPG.b0e9df3e588ee250d3d58f14d12061d9.JPG

Scenes from our walk around town.

DSC08303.thumb.JPG.78e7cfb462c1cdf0440d1adf65a85c16.JPG

DSC08307.thumb.JPG.9edac2c9026beb0d702d5852273735ff.JPG

DSC08310.thumb.JPG.75d321873502671ce8eea6e545fd6865.JPG

DSC08309.thumb.JPG.dcab07f657d95b6245a0856d2cfc514e.JPG

From here you could go down to the lower part of town and the shopping district.  We decided to stay in the old town.

DSC08311.thumb.JPG.06b25d400a40d988b6ff52b6ea691c9d.JPG

A inviting looking restaurant, but it was too soon after breakfast to give it a try.

DSC08312.thumb.JPG.e2fadbbbba0e38a6d0655b8adead617b.JPG

Back on the pier with the bow of the Thompson Dream, after they finished the drill where all the passengers and crew had to evacuate the ship.  Your can see some of the locals and their vehicles in the picture.

DSC08314.thumb.JPG.706339ce75a021b8fbde6fc7360e1f41.JPG

We enjoyed our day in Koper.  At that time, I don't think may ships had called there and it wasn't a big touristy port.

Lenda

Thanks for the Koper photos Lenda!

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

A beautiful day ahead here in northern Michigan.   We are going to have beautiful sun and 70s.  I went fishing yesterday because John was catching fish.  It was a brief trip for me because a feisty Bluegill ran a barbed hook into my left index finger. I saw immediately it wasn't going to come out in the boat we returned to the dock. With bush medicine techniques I used a new box cutter, lots of peroxide to thin my thick driving hand skin.  After a bit of sawing I cleared the path to pull it out.  Then prescription antibiotic ointment and a bandage. John had cut his finger washing wine glasses last week and his cut was deeper than mine.   Thankfully I had a tetanus shot two summers ago.  I will be watching it carefully for symptoms of infection. I will stay on land today.

Thank you for the reports and care and celebration lists.  Today's meal looks wonderful and would go great with today's vino.   Looking forward to seeing today's port photos when I sign on bright and early tomorrow. 

Wow, what an unfortunate accident!  You're brave taking care of it all by yourself.  I hope it heals quickly and with no infection issues cropping up.

22 minutes ago, dfish said:

There is an airport 15 minutes from Midland, but it is small and expensive.  We have flown out of there before and it is a nice way to start a trip.  For next summer's trip we'll bite the bullet and pay the cost of flying out of there since we'll be gone so long.  We have a ride to the airport lined up and this allows us to avoid parking fees.   The other option is Detroit Metro, two hours away.

I loved Eidfjord!   We were lucky to visit twice on our cruise.  We were so excited when we heard we were going back.   Enjoy your time there.  There are some nice hikes that are not too strenuous.  The visitor's information office has trail maps and can give you information.

Debbie, I remember that airport.  At one time it was called Tri-Cities Airport.  When DH was invited to Midland to interview for an engineering position at Dow Chemical in 1973 they booked us both tickets from St. Louis to Tri-City.  It was my first flight ever!  Totally convenient for you to fly out of that airport nowadays from Midland, but like you said they probably boost that price up quite a bit for the convenience of not driving to Detroit Metropolitan.

• Like 17

Good morning friends. I left while reading the Daily when a few neighbors called smelling smoke. So we grabbed our golf carts and started in different directions. It was a small grass fire with no danger to homes. Our neighbor took his water extinguisher and had it out by the time we rounded the corner. Scary. 

Today at noon we have the next step on becoming an official caregiver. A video call showing our grab bars, roll in shower, ramps etc. Then we will celebrate meeting out with friends for lunch.

Prayers for Roy's growing care list as well as mine.

I remember Riverview Park and visited often. Taking our lunch bags. Anyone remember Santa's Village??

image.png.99a9884f3ff91b8d784afeba1aec16a5.png

image.png.b5174e8e94ed5ef729a956d4ac41f273.png

Prayers, peace and cheers!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning and thanks for the update. It’s been a busy morning so far. Ninja had a vet appointment for blood work and an ultrasound on his kidneys. All is good, just normal aging and thyroid for which he’s on medication. We go back to the vet on Thursday for Fluff for her surgery on the breast tumor 🤞. They believe it will take care of the problem. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.🙏❤️

• Like 23

A grasshopper walks into a bar. The bartender looks at him and says, “Hey, they named a drink after you!”

“Really?” replies the grasshopper. “There’s a drink named Stan?”

A teenager brings her new boyfriend home to meet her parents. They’re appalled by his haircut, his tattoos, his piercings.

Later, the girl’s mom says, “Dear, he doesn’t seem to be a very nice boy.”

“Oh, please, Mom!” says the daughter. “If he wasn’t nice, would he be doing 500 hours of community service!?

I was horrified when my wife told me that my six-year-old son wasn't actually mine. Apparently I need to pay more attention during school pick-up.

• Like 5
  • Haha 23

Good morning everyone. Sometimes I think I have been on a roller coaster ride since June of 2021. The weather is going to be great the next few days and I will be heading to the pool, maybe not to go in but to sit around and talk.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 21

When I first moved to Atlanta there was an annual event - The Great Southeastern Fair and Exposition. It happened right after school started and was huge. All the typical carnival rides and side shows. One of the big attractions was an old wooden roller coaster called 'The Greyhound'. Rumor was that each year when the fair came around enough work would be done on the Greyhound to pass inspection for the year and after the fair was over, nothing would be done until the next year. It was a great ride.

After the fair was discontinued the fairgrounds were basically unused for several years. The first two 'Smokey and the Bandit' movies used the fairgrounds as a backdrop and the roller coaster that was destroyed was the Greyhound.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning friends. I left while reading the Daily when a few neighbors called smelling smoke. So we grabbed our golf carts and started in different directions. It was a small grass fire with no danger to homes. Our neighbor took his water extinguisher and had it out by the time we rounded the corner. Scary. 

Today at noon we have the next step on becoming an official caregiver. A video call showing our grab bars, roll in shower, ramps etc. Then we will celebrate meeting out with friends for lunch.

I remember Riverview Park and visited often. Taking our lunch bags. Anyone remember Santa's Village??

I'm so glad someone smelled smoke and rallied the troops to look for trouble.  Good idea taking the extinguisher to put the fire out. 🔥

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good morning and thanks for the update. It’s been a busy morning so far. Ninja had a vet appointment for blood work and an ultrasound on his kidneys. All is good, just normal aging and thyroid for which he’s on medication. We go back to the vet on Thursday for Fluff for her surgery on the breast tumor 🤞. They believe it will take care of the problem. 

I hope all works out well for Fluff on Thursday.  Poor thing!

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

A grasshopper walks into a bar. The bartender looks at him and says, “Hey, they named a drink after you!”

“Really?” replies the grasshopper. “There’s a drink named Stan?”

A teenager brings her new boyfriend home to meet her parents. They’re appalled by his haircut, his tattoos, his piercings.

Later, the girl’s mom says, “Dear, he doesn’t seem to be a very nice boy.”

“Oh, please, Mom!” says the daughter. “If he wasn’t nice, would he be doing 500 hours of community service!?

I was horrified when my wife told me that my six-year-old son wasn't actually mine. Apparently I need to pay more attention during school pick-up.

Great jokes!  Thanks for the laughs!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, Dailyiters, I must be quick, as Pat wants to get out and about!  I've been to Koper twice at least. Tony, @sailingdutchy, organized wonderful tours there, and I have lots of pictures which I will try to post later.  Not so much of Koper but of other places in Slovenia.  I remember a cousin once visited there years ago and was so impressed he wanted to retire there.  It is a beautiful country.

Roy, there really is no need to put me on the Cares list!  I am doing fine, just annoyed they are inflicting me with another roto rooter job.  I can let you know the day before I have it, so you can all think of me and laugh.  

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 23
  • Haha 1

Good morning all!
I'm a little later than usual this morning.  DD brought their kitty Nimbus to stay with us while they're on a road trip to Crater Lake, OR.  So we'll have a cat with us for a week!  He knows us well and is settling in quickly and seems quite happy. 🙂  It's nice to have a cat in the house again.

Roller coasters and I do not get along.  I can't think of much that scares me more, and that's even the little ones!  I love hearing jokes but am not very good at telling them.  The meal and drink sound great, will pass on the red wine.

We were in Koper twice on a cruise exactly a year ago.  We went to Lake Bled one day (amazing day!) and a DIY to Piran the other day.  It's a beautiful place, and I'd love to get back there.

Piran

waterfront.jpg.6afea2c9c2ead627f86e5fbf6b0db74a.jpg

Town square

square1.jpg.88e0f04c9a3e73ad75cc7cdffcec1262.jpg

Piran.thumb.jpg.367dda4a2409a9f6fa2a50bbb923e8a4.jpg

A doorway for Sandi @StLouisCruisers

doorway1.thumb.jpg.1decf3985f0802d0cc1949dfdbb43d12.jpg

If you ever get to Slovenia, you *must* have some of their Kremsnika.  It is to die for! I had it twice. 🙂 

Kremsnika1.jpg.7f317efe122981803fdbf9e24077c37e.jpg

And our day at Lake Bled

The wooden boats awaiting passengers to the island

929691655_woodenboatsforLakeBled.jpg.cb70672accd7da1b080125ed5f4a5e3e.jpg

Another boat, taken from ours.

382124685_betterotherboat.jpg.e15115044c0700054fca35b4ce8552ab.jpg

On the boat to the island we saw this castle on top of a rocky hill.

1559914299_castleonrockyhill.jpg.fd90a67e5993d0ff8948f13068f30193.jpg

Approaching the island

656704650_Islandandlake.jpg.77c53a87c32a88ea55adae171b197f75.jpg

Getting closer

1415853548_approachingisland.thumb.jpg.6e85549a7cdc9cfbd130e2b55d98830c.jpg

When we got to the island there were 99 steps to get to the top.  It was said that on their wedding day, men had to carry their brides to the top.

1784897246_99stepsup.thumb.jpg.9219804aebb30174450dc77704b58af7.jpg

Looking down from the top.

1596863181_andlookingdown.thumb.jpg.0e959c577aee67b92ee3afe926e80c36.jpg

We walked around the island and visited the gift shop.  Beautiful views!

2020663920_betterviewofcastle.thumb.jpg.b4362138bed175813422a7b267628ea7.jpg

1153048796_viewofcastle.jpg.1c4b86bb0d00c7beb27f693fda7dbe20.jpg

We had some free time before returning to the ship, so we savored the views and....got some more Kremsnika!

195697898_savoringtheview.jpg.46855920446acd61f6a309eae6e62d6f.jpg

370412121_LakeBled.jpg.6a8684720c41464e93e88d96905529be.jpg

1193194745_Bledcreamcake.jpg.61b5c1fe9b06e0439caf2f917b6d913f.jpg

Even the ride back to the ship had beautiful views.

356411125_mountainviewfrombusback.jpg.4690cceaeea6fb3fb125c1181cd93837.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

On our first visit to Koper, Tony organized a tour for us to Piran, the caves at Postojna and Predjama Castle, built into a mountain.  We were on the Prinsendam in 2016 and our DD was with us.  Just a few pictures, I'll do more later.

Piran

P1020298.thumb.JPG.8689ed2d22a88a0d049833cbfd14be7f.JPG

P1040402.thumb.JPG.7f6962171b39838f272642451f4469ee.JPG

The cavesP1020249.thumb.JPG.df8c1a04f31e729b18da9d340eb83f1f.JPG

Martha and me

unspecified.thumb.jpeg.9c0d7248160fb77fe66b050949fb8f20.jpeg

Predjama Castle

P1040372.thumb.JPG.687500822ef3a557a399f0bd5754498d.JPG

• Like 23
  • Thanks 6

It's been a busy morning here., but I actually got a few things accomplished.  They weren't anything exciting, just routine chores.  🤕

@AV8rix  Susan, safe travels today to Vancouver.  🥂 🍾  BON VOYAGE!  🎈 🎉  I know you'll have a great cruise.  🛳️

4 hours ago, ottahand7 said:

All I can say is OUCH!!!!  I'm glad  you were able to get the hook out, and sending positive thoughts that you do not get an infection.

3 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning. We have another beautiful day here and I am back to being the principal dog walker in our family. It was a pleasure to walk this morning with a breeze and gorgeous blue skies.

I have always loved roller coasters but have had to be content  with watching grandchildren enjoy them. @mamaofami, Carol, do you remember the Dragon Coaster at Playland in Rye? 
The executive Chef is feeling more herself today and asked  for a potato leek soup for lunch. We decided on bean and cheese enchiladas for dinner. I better get to the grocery store.

Enjoy the day everyone.

Terry

Terry, I'm glad Tana is feeling more like herself and has resumed the executive chef duties.  It sounds like you have more of you energy back.

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Joy, it's great when neighbors work together to solve problems.  I'm glad the grass fire was put out quickly before it caused major damage.

1 hour ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

That's good news Ninja got a good report from the vet.  I hope Fluff's surgery Thursday goes well and they are able to get everything and take care of the problem.

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

When I first moved to Atlanta there was an annual event - The Great Southeastern Fair and Exposition. It happened right after school started and was huge. All the typical carnival rides and side shows. One of the big attractions was an old wooden roller coaster called 'The Greyhound'. Rumor was that each year when the fair came around enough work would be done on the Greyhound to pass inspection for the year and after the fair was over, nothing would be done until the next year. It was a great ride.

After the fair was discontinued the fairgrounds were basically unused for several years. The first two 'Smokey and the Bandit' movies used the fairgrounds as a backdrop and the roller coaster that was destroyed was the Greyhound.

Rich, we've watched both those movies many times, and I remember the scene where they destroyed the Greyhound.

12 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!
I'm a little later than usual this morning.  DD brought their kitty Nimbus to stay with us while they're on a road trip to Crater Lake, OR.  So we'll have a cat with us for a week!  He knows us well and is settling in quickly and seems quite happy. 🙂  It's nice to have a cat in the house again.

Roller coasters and I do not get along.  I can't think of much that scares me more, and that's even the little ones!  I love hearing jokes but am not very good at telling them.  The meal and drink sound great, will pass on the red wine.

We were in Koper twice on a cruise exactly a year ago.  We went to Lake Bled one day (amazing day!) and a DIY to Piran the other day.  It's a beautiful place, and I'd love to get back there.

Piran

waterfront.jpg.6afea2c9c2ead627f86e5fbf6b0db74a.jpg

Town square

square1.jpg.88e0f04c9a3e73ad75cc7cdffcec1262.jpg

Piran.thumb.jpg.367dda4a2409a9f6fa2a50bbb923e8a4.jpg

A doorway for Sandi @StLouisCruisers

doorway1.thumb.jpg.1decf3985f0802d0cc1949dfdbb43d12.jpg

If you ever get to Slovenia, you *must* have some of their Kremsnika.  It is to die for! I had it twice. 🙂 

Kremsnika1.jpg.7f317efe122981803fdbf9e24077c37e.jpg

And our day at Lake Bled

The wooden boats awaiting passengers to the island

929691655_woodenboatsforLakeBled.jpg.cb70672accd7da1b080125ed5f4a5e3e.jpg

Another boat, taken from ours.

382124685_betterotherboat.jpg.e15115044c0700054fca35b4ce8552ab.jpg

On the boat to the island we saw this castle on top of a rocky hill.

1559914299_castleonrockyhill.jpg.fd90a67e5993d0ff8948f13068f30193.jpg

Approaching the island

656704650_Islandandlake.jpg.77c53a87c32a88ea55adae171b197f75.jpg

Getting closer

1415853548_approachingisland.thumb.jpg.6e85549a7cdc9cfbd130e2b55d98830c.jpg

When we got to the island there were 99 steps to get to the top.  It was said that on their wedding day, men had to carry their brides to the top.

1784897246_99stepsup.thumb.jpg.9219804aebb30174450dc77704b58af7.jpg

Looking down from the top.

1596863181_andlookingdown.thumb.jpg.0e959c577aee67b92ee3afe926e80c36.jpg

We walked around the island and visited the gift shop.  Beautiful views!

2020663920_betterviewofcastle.thumb.jpg.b4362138bed175813422a7b267628ea7.jpg

1153048796_viewofcastle.jpg.1c4b86bb0d00c7beb27f693fda7dbe20.jpg

We had some free time before returning to the ship, so we savored the views and....got some more Kremsnika!

195697898_savoringtheview.jpg.46855920446acd61f6a309eae6e62d6f.jpg

370412121_LakeBled.jpg.6a8684720c41464e93e88d96905529be.jpg

1193194745_Bledcreamcake.jpg.61b5c1fe9b06e0439caf2f917b6d913f.jpg

Even the ride back to the ship had beautiful views.

356411125_mountainviewfrombusback.jpg.4690cceaeea6fb3fb125c1181cd93837.jpg

Thanks for the beautiful pictures, and ideas of other places to see if (when) we return to Koper.  I'm not sure about those 99 steps.  With my fear of heights, steep steps like that without a hand rail, especially going down, would give me problems.  I doubt anyone would be willing to carry me, and that might even be more nerve racking.  I guess, I'd just have to put on my "big girl panties", find someone to hold on to, and tackle those steps.  

Lenda

Lenda

• Like 20
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie, I remember that airport.  At one time it was called Tri-Cities Airport.  When DH was invited to Midland to interview for an engineering position at Dow Chemical in 1973 they booked us both tickets from St. Louis to Tri-City.  It was my first flight ever!  Totally convenient for you to fly out of that airport nowadays from Midland, but like you said they probably boost that price up quite a bit for the convenience of not driving to Detroit Metropolitan.

It is still referred to as Tri-Cities Airport.  The airlines call it Saginaw.  They built a new one sometime after 1973.  I remember the old one was still in use when my sister got married in 1982, so sometime after that.  We had sister Barb's rehearsal dinner at the Sky Room at MBS in the old terminal.   Now they are planning to build another new one.  

The high prices started sometime this past year as air traffic picked up.  Sue and I flew out of there last September for our Alaska cruise.  It is so convenient.  IIRC, the cost for flying out of there this past summer was about $1500 per person more than flying out of Detroit.  We flew out of Detroit.  

@Cruising-along I am still going to make that cream cake sometime.  

• Like 15

14 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@AV8rix  Susan, safe travels today to Vancouver.  🥂 🍾  BON VOYAGE!  🎈 🎉  I know you'll have a great cruise.  🛳️

Thanks Lenda, getting ready for the drive right now.  I'll be mostly unplugged for the next two weeks, so am praying that I hear good news for Steve when I return.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

On our first visit to Koper, Tony organized a tour for us to Piran, the caves at Postojna and Predjama Castle, built into a mountain.  We were on the Prinsendam in 2016 and our DD was with us.  Just a few pictures, I'll do more later.

The cavesP1020249.thumb.JPG.df8c1a04f31e729b18da9d340eb83f1f.JPG

Predjama Castle

P1040372.thumb.JPG.687500822ef3a557a399f0bd5754498d.JPG

Thank you for the photos Ann 🙂  We enjoyed the Postojna Caves and Predjama Castle too, but from a different port that cruise.  So many things to see in that area it was hard to fit it all in!

16 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Thanks for the beautiful pictures, and ideas of other places to see if (when) we return to Koper.  I'm not sure about those 99 steps.  With my fear of heights, steep steps like that without a hand rail, especially going down, would give me problems.  I doubt anyone would be willing to carry me, and that might even be more nerve racking.  I guess, I'd just have to put on my "big girl panties", find someone to hold on to, and tackle those steps.  

Lenda

You're welcome Lenda.  And trust me, I stuck to the edge -- where I could at least touch the half-wall.  I have a terrible fear of heights too so I understand!  At one point (going down) there were a couple young girls who parked themselves on the side (sitting) -- right where I needed to hang on -- and it took all my courage to walk around them and back to the wall!  

• Like 15