Royal Caribbean mattresses

Due to a hit and run accident I have some disk issues in my back. Normally its well managed and I have not previously had issues as a result of hotel beds despite frequent travel and hotel changes. However on our recent Radiance of the Seas trip something about our bed made my back extremely unhappy - to the point I had to arrange for some medication in one of the ports to remain mobile (I try to avoid those medications due to their side effects). 

We were considering another cruise next year but this experience gave me pause. Are the mattresses fairly standard across cabins and ships or is it a complete mixed bag? I've seen some people elsewhere online note you can request a mattress topper (with mixed results) or even a different mattress. Has anyone here done anything like that?

I've also seen some good suggestions on bringing your own topper or even air mattress so that might be an option. 

22 minutes ago, Exterous said:

Due to a hit and run accident I have some disk issues in my back. Normally its well managed and I have not previously had issues as a result of hotel beds despite frequent travel and hotel changes. However on our recent Radiance of the Seas trip something about our bed made my back extremely unhappy - to the point I had to arrange for some medication in one of the ports to remain mobile (I try to avoid those medications due to their side effects). 

We were considering another cruise next year but this experience gave me pause. Are the mattresses fairly standard across cabins and ships or is it a complete mixed bag? I've seen some people elsewhere online note you can request a mattress topper (with mixed results) or even a different mattress. Has anyone here done anything like that?

I've also seen some good suggestions on bringing your own topper or even air mattress so that might be an option. 

We have had two cruises on Navigator this year in a JS. Absolutely the best mattresses ever.  Luck, hit and miss, making sure we use all 10 vouchers for Martinis, who knows.  Right now I will go with luck as we have had a few that were awful in the past. Bringing your own air mattress may be a good idea with your back problems.

The last couple of cruises we've been on it didn't seem like there was much of a mattress. I thought I could feel the metal bed platform. We request "extra padding" on boarding day and typically our room attendant will add a couple of comforters on top of the mattress under the bottom sheet. I haven't seen or heard of proper (foam) mattress toppers being offered. If you're able to bring your own topper, you can get an inexpensive one and just leave it behind if you don't want it after the cruise. I've also seen rather expensive but very comfy looking inflatable one-person cushions intended, I think, for camping. But those would be easier to transport and would be reusable.

I would love it if people could comment on the bed situation.  We have slept on a sleep number bed for years and need a soft bed. Our only complaint with cruising is that the hard beds hurt our backs!  In the old days, the beds were so comfortable and relaxing, it was the best sleep ever!  Not anymore.  We  dread trying to sleep when we go on a cruise.  We have tried the cruise egg crates, brought our own mattress topper (hassle), air mattress (hassle)...none of them offer real relief.  Does anyone have any suggestions, other than Motrin?  lol 🤣

I know... I'm looking for a "magic" answer! Thank you!

46 minutes ago, Exterous said:

My wife and I have both had back surgeries. We ALWAYS ask for extra mattress toppers on Royal Caribbean cruises as their beds tend to be much to firm and they hurt our backs. Some to the point of me being able to stay in the bed to sleep. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, catlover3 said:

I would love it if people could comment on the bed situation.  We have slept on a sleep number bed for years and need a soft bed. Our only complaint with cruising is that the hard beds hurt our backs!  In the old days, the beds were so comfortable and relaxing, it was the best sleep ever!  Not anymore.  We  dread trying to sleep when we go on a cruise.  We have tried the cruise egg crates, brought our own mattress topper (hassle), air mattress (hassle)...none of them offer real relief.  Does anyone have any suggestions, other than Motrin?  lol 🤣

I know... I'm looking for a "magic" answer! Thank you!

I'm the opposite and can't sleep on a soft or medium mattress, only a firm one.   I have actually slept on the floor some places to escape a soft mattress.  It would be nice if there were some choices on the ships to accommodate the differences in people's needs.

We usually do not have any problems with the mattresses on royal, but we are currently on explorer and I feel like I’m sleeping on a hard rock  (that’s not in exaggeration). We have a new cruise acquaintance  onboard who recently had back surgery and he has had to take a pain pill each morning to cope due to the hard mattress. They no longer have the egg crate variety toppers, but they are putting a comforter as a mattress topper when a topper is requested (at least on Explorer). It isn’t  great, but it’s something.

9 hours ago, catlover3 said:

I would love it if people could comment on the bed situation. 

They do - you just need to search some (bed threads not as common as tipping, COVID, etc threads). Like this thread, you'll get some feedback, and while the vocal majority may say the beds suck, the silent majority just endures (with various remedies) with however the bed situation is.

I, too, have had back surgery -- spinal fusion -- and find the beds very much too hard. We just bring a foam topper (queen -- king is too big for Royal's "King") and tip our cabin attendant to put it on day one. It's an extra $100 (we get a good one), but well worth it for the much better sleep and reduction in pain on my part. 

Like many things cruising beds at subject to personal preferences.  In our homes we can take the time to acquire a mattress suited to our personal preferences.  In the travel industry accommodations strive to find a one type fits all solution.

It's easier to apply toppers that soften a firm mattress as opposed to trying to firm up a soft mattress.  Unfortunately mattress toppers found themselves foul of pandemic protocols when they couldn't be sanitized between guests.  The solution was use items on board that can be washed easily between guests so comforters as toppers entered the picture.  

I'm fortunate that I use a firm mattress at home and I sleep very well on Royal ships.  It's a non-issue for me but I can appreciate how it could be for others.  

12 hours ago, 3yorkies said:

I'm the opposite and can't sleep on a soft or medium mattress, only a firm one.   I have actually slept on the floor some places to escape a soft mattress.  It would be nice if there were some choices on the ships to accommodate the differences in people's needs.

Agree, Firm...just like Royal has. Never an issue for me, but I could sleep on the Floor before I could on a Soft Bed. Though Royal Beds are not as Hard as were 5+ yrs ago

53 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree, Firm...just like Royal has. Never an issue for me, but I could sleep on the Floor before I could on a Soft Bed. Though Royal Beds are not as Hard as were 5+ yrs ago

Same here.  We are at the beach this week in a very nice luxury rental condo, but the mattresses are horrible.  All of them are so soft and mushy, I keep fearing that I'll need the jaws of life to extract me from it in the morning.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, eaflorida said:

My wife and I have both had back surgeries. We ALWAYS ask for extra mattress toppers on Royal Caribbean cruises as their beds tend to be much to firm and they hurt our backs. Some to the point of me being able to stay in the bed to sleep. 

Who do you ask for mattress toppers? Are they always available?

I bring a Klymit blow up sleeping pad which is the only thing that allows me to tolerate the torture slabs they call Royal King beds. 
It’s easy to transport (Rolls up to about the size of a mayonnaise jar) and doesn’t weigh a lot. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

We usually do not have any problems with the mattresses on royal, but we are currently on explorer and I feel like I’m sleeping on a hard rock  (that’s not in exaggeration). We have a new cruise acquaintance  onboard who recently had back surgery and he has had to take a pain pill each morning to cope due to the hard mattress. They no longer have the egg crate variety toppers, but they are putting a comforter as a mattress topper when a topper is requested (at least on Explorer). It isn’t  great, but it’s something.

I am on a b2b on Explorer in November and will be bringing my own proper egg crate mattress topper. I have done this on previous cruises and slept very well.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

I bring a Klymit blow up sleeping pad which is the only thing that allows me to tolerate the torture slabs they call Royal King beds. 
It’s easy to transport (Rolls up to about the size of a mayonnaise jar) and doesn’t weigh a lot. 

I have one of these too and they are great!  If I arrive at the port city a day early I hit up a Walmart for the foam topper (which I prefer), but I always bring my Klymit just in case!!

• Like 1

We have the Klymet blow up mattress it is quite small for packing and an absolute necessity. Last cruise in May we would have not made it without it. The extra comforters really don't work. There is not a simple solution you do have to blow these up but they are super easy to inflate. I bought one after reading one of CKRobyn's reviews several years ago...she commented above. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Booked on WC...Serenade not known to have comfy mattresses.   

Will be taking an additional duffle bag as check in with one of those shrink wrap foam toppers in it.  

Thanks for the heads up....We'll ask for a mattress topper on Serenade for Sept & Oct. We had to have two recently on Jewel. Navigator, Explorer and Harmony not needed...very comfy.

• Like 1

We’ve had Jr suites or suites the past few cruises.  The beds have been great.  Doing an ocean view next month and I’m betting my back and hips will complain. I wish they had the same mattress in every category.  TBD.  We have bought foam toppers for longer cruises but for a 5 or 7 night we don’t. I would definitely do it for the world cruise.  

It happens on land too.  A great B and B in Key West gave me back spasms all week.  I was pretty miserable.  We even tried to buy a topper but could not find one in Key West.  The place was great but the bed and my back did not get along. 

8 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We’ve had Jr suites or suites the past few cruises.  The beds have been great.  Doing an ocean view next month and I’m betting my back and hips will complain. I wish they had the same mattress in every category.  TBD.  We have bought foam toppers for longer cruises but for a 5 or 7 night we don’t. I would definitely do it for the world cruise.  

It happens on land too.  A great B and B in Key West gave me back spasms all week.  I was pretty miserable.  We even tried to buy a topper but could not find one in Key West.  The place was great but the bed and my back did not get along. 

Does the category of cabin play in the quality of the mattress? I went years ago on Royal inside cabin (Worst bed ever). 4 yrs later my mom went again without me and had an ocean view room and said it was a million times better. Now afraid I made a mistake.