The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday August 22nd, 2022

richwmn

Today is Be an Angel Day, National Tooth Fairy Day, and Southern Hemishpere Hoddie Hoo Day

I am not pretty. I am not beautiful. I am as radiant as the sun.--Suzanne Collins, The Hunger Games

Meal Suggestion for today - Easy Pork Posole
Drink of the Day - Peach Daiquiri
Wine of the Day - Contucci 2016 Mulinvecchio (Vino Nobile di Montepu
Destination of the Day - Cartagena, Spain

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Juneau, Alaska 1:00 PM To 10:00 PM

Nieuw Amsterdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 15:00 - 18:00

Nieuw Statendam

St Johns NL, Newfoundland-Labrador Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska eta 08/23

Oosterdam

Split, Croatia 10:00 - 23:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Oslo, Norway eta 08/23

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 08/23

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada eta 08/23

Zuiderdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0822Atlantic.thumb.png.1d5a8ea3dbf6ca2b9daeceab0db69d0e.png

0822Alaska.thumb.png.559da539dc3711bb1b8073598c20cfb9.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 13

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

We had rain yesterday and more overnight.  I hope the farmers are happy.

Great days.  I try to be an angel everyday.  It's been a long time since the Tooth Fairy visited me, wonder how much she gives now?  Happy Hoodie Hoo to all those in the Southern Hemisphere,  I hope it hasn't been a bad winter.

Love the quote.

The meal sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I'd love a peach daiquiri.  I hope the wine is tasty and not too expensive.

I've never been to today's port, thanks in advance for all the pictures that will be posted.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a great Monday.

Stay safe.

• Like 25
  • Haha 1

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich.  An interesting collection of days.  I love the quote.  It looks like I've been to Cartagena just once, 2017 on the Elegant Explorer.  I think I'll pass on the Posole.  My alternative is Chilled Apple Vichyssoise, Orange-Ginger Pork, and Tiramisu as served on MS Veendam August 22, 2013.

Today’s care list:

HAL Sailer Sister in Law with metasticizing mole
ger_77 losing cruising friend Melanie
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Fluff healing from surgery
ger_77 and  DH with covid fatigue
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Superoma DH
Happy Anniversary Graham and Pauline
Safety and a new loving home for Shadow
Volendam caring for refugees
ger_77's prescious “almost daughter”
New owner for Maasdam
Norseh20 helping DM find assisted living
Tana starting t feel herself
7 days for Oceansaway17 (Quantum OTS 8/28 to 9/5)
6 days for Vax1700 (Rotterdam 8/28 to 9/11)
Welcome Copper10_8 to Montreal.
Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28),   Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 11

Good afternoon.

It is a cool 14°C and cloudy day.

At this time 41 years ago I was waiting for Pauline to arrive at our church for our wedding.

Thank you for today's daily and fleet reports Rich.

Interesting days.

Nice food.

Cartagena is a nice port.

Prayers 🙏 for good health to everyone on our care list.

Wishing everyone a lovely day.

Graham.

Screenshot_20220819_185615.jpg

IMG_20220822_120923.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 36
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Monday report, Rich.  An interesting collection of days.  I love the quote.  It looks like I've been to Cartagena just once, 2017 on the Elegant Explorer.  I think I'll pass on the Posole.  My alternative is Chilled Apple Vichyssoise, Orange-Ginger Pork, and Tiramisu as served on MS Veendam August 22, 2013.

Today’s care list:

HAL Sailer Sister in Law with metasticizing mole
ger_77 losing cruising friend Melanie
Tana with persistent problems although somewhat better
Fluff healing from surgery
ger_77 and  DH with covid fatigue
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/11)
From the rotation:
Strength and healing (physical and emotional) for Kazu
Cruising-along niece awaiting a kidney
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove’s Sam severely declining

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Happy Birthday Superoma DH
Happy Anniversary Graham and Pauline
Safety and a new loving home for Shadow
Volendam caring for refugees
ger_77's prescious “almost daughter”
New owner for Maasdam
Norseh20 helping DM find assisted living
Tana starting t feel herself
7 days for Oceansaway17 (Quantum OTS 8/28 to 9/5)
6 days for Vax1700 (Rotterdam 8/28 to 9/11)
Welcome Copper10_8 to Montreal.
Mtn2sea and kplady (Nieuw Statendam  to 8/27), Aliaschief (Rotterdam to 8/28),   Av8rix (Zuiderdam  to 8/31) and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy and for kindly including Pauline and me on our 41st anniversary.

Graham 

• Like 17

Good morning, everyone.

I am ready to start the day and get back to painting.  The sooner I do, the sooner I can reclaim the dining room and kitchen!  We had a lot of rain last night and we are supposed to get more today.  My old paint has dried up nicely with the kitty litter.  I did find the stuff that hardens paint at the hardware store so I'll use that on what's leftover from this round of painting.  

I thought I remembered having some type of posole earlier in the year, but I was too lazy to look it up.  It may have been chicken posole or something like that.  Easy pork posole doesn't claim to be authentic or traditional in nature, but an easy way to get the flavors of the dish.  

Pozole is a traditional soup or stew from Mexican cuisine. It is made from hominy with meat (typically pork, but possibly chicken), and can be seasoned and garnished with shredded lettuce or cabbage, chile peppers, onion, garlic, radishes, avocado, salsa or limes. Known in Mesoamerica since the pre-Columbian era, today the stew is common across Mexico and neighboring countries, and is served both as a day-to-day meal and as a festive dish.

The first recipe comes from Taste of Home and is made with pork butt and sausage.  It does have jalapeños and cayenne pepperhttps://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/easy-pork-posole/

795347996_porkposole1.jpg.c0110334f6e695003be6c8f6e550bc0d.jpg

Here's one for the budget minded.  It is a quick recipe so the soup doesn't simmer on the stove all day.  I would be interested in how the flavors meld together with a short cooking time.   https://www.budgetbytes.com/30-minute-posole/

1443996985_porkposole2.thumb.jpg.5a129c3270428f482e56b3648086e72e.jpg

In this next one the garnishes make the dish.  I'm intrigued by the lime as a garnish along with the radishes.  I may have to make this recipe this fall.  According to this website, posole is a traditional Christmas Eve dish in Mexico.  That might be fun!

https://thesuburbansoapbox.com/easy-pork-posole-pozole-rojo/

166599542_porkposole3.thumb.jpg.837fdced3cc1dcd31d6295b6a3876d82.jpg

Cooking light gives us a recipe that cuts some of the fat and calories.  It is also low in sodium for those who are watching that.   For the rest of you, you'll probably want to add salt.   https://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/easy-pork-posole

612872924_porkposole4.jpg.d7b5af82b956d075386f3c9184111fe8.jpg

Finally, Ina Garten uses a salsa verde and some not so usual vegetables in her posole.  It sounds like an interesting variation.  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/pork-posole-6565527

819369557_porkposole5.jpeg.e5f243e1fc36d896066e7cd4756f5886.jpeg

I would take what I like from each recipe and make up my own, but that's me.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 12

Thanks for the Fleet Report. Enjoying a relaxing sea day as sail to Oslo.

Good weather at 68 degrees with light breeze and calm seas. Just enjoyed a nice lunch in the Pinnacle and now awaiting a Lincoln Stage performance before attending a wine tasting.

Popular shipping lanes makes it interesting for various ships.

Now back to our afternoon recital.

Bruce

• Like 28

Thank you for today’s Report & Daily, Rich! Big marine layer this morning. But the temperature is gorgeous. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! Morning Dailyites!  Early gym classes. 

@ger_77 Gerry praying for Melodie, her family and you & DH. I hope you wonderful memories help ease your pain.

@grapau27 Graham & Pauline - Happy Anniversary! Looking forward to seeing how you two celebrated it. 

07F54145-101C-47C4-A7E7-1019277BF6D9.jpeg.9fc98657289d5e145178fcce3635a1b1.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Contucci 2016 Mulinvecchio (Vino Nobile di Montepulciano)

Consistent priced across the online distributors, this superbly rated wine does not carry an hefty price tag. I do wonder what “underbrush” tastes like. 🤔 Several online distributors offering it for $39.99.

Wine Enthusiast Review
Rated 96
#34 TOP 100 CELLAR SELECTIONS 2021

Aromas of truffle, tilled earth, rose, camphor and star anise slowly take shape on the nose of this elegantly structured red. Radiant and savory, the bright, focused palate showcases juicy Morello cherry, strawberry compote and ground cinnamon before a licorice close. Tightly wound, refined tannins and fresh acidity keep it balanced and give it an ageworthy structure. Drink 2024-2036.

Wine Tasting Notes
Aromas of underbrush, pressed violet, blackberry, baked earth and new leather lead the nose of this classic wine. The structured, elegant palate offers succulent black cherry, crushed raspberry, cinnamon, clove and a hint of anise alongside tightly knit but polished tannins that need to unwind. It's already tempting but give this time to develop even more.

Grape varieties: 80% Prugnolo gentile, 10% Canaiolo nero, 10% Colorino

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 3

Good morning to all.  Very rainy day here in PA.  Good day to stay inside.

Four years now living in a townhouse.  Time to start reorganizing closets and donating clothes we will never wear again — because of either style or size!  Wonder why I continue to hold onto the formal dresses that most cruise lines are no longer encouraging?  And the shoes!!  Some need to go.

Thanks to Rich, Roy and all who contribute to this thread.  I do not post often but I check in everyday.  Hope to meet some of you on a ship some day.  We are in a bit of a lull and not sailing again until November.  Continued prayers for all in need.  Katherine 

• Like 29

Good Monday Morning Dailyites!

For all of our Western, Texan and southern friends, stay safe with all your rain. 

raining-cats.jpg

I sent an email out to the book club members yesterday, just to verify that it was today, and I have not heard back from anyone.  I hope I don't show up with a huge bowl of salad at an empty house.

I have not been to the port, but will be there next October on my Transatlantic trip back home.

I loved your recipes this morning @dfish.  I know that DH and I can make this.  Of course that's when we get over the sticker shock of grocery shopping.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 28

Good morning friends!  I'm leaving here in 10 minutes so just a short post.  Once again happy anniversary to Graham and Pauline @grapau27and @Paw13as well as happy birthday wishes to Mr. @superoma.  

It's nice to see so many new ports of the day including today's Cartagena, Spain!  I enjoyed two visits there and will share photos later after my PT evaluation.  Thinking positive some type of plan to ease the ache in my leg can be formulated.  

"See" you later!

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Just now, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I'm leaving here in 10 minutes so just a short post.  Once again happy anniversary to Graham and Pauline @grapau27and @Paw13as well as happy birthday wishes to Mr. @superoma.  

It's nice to see so many new ports of the day including today's Cartagena, Spain!  I enjoyed two visits there and will share photos later after my PT evaluation.  Thinking positive some type of plan to ease the ache in my leg can be formulated.  

"See" you later!

Thank you Sandi and good luck for a positive outcome in finding a solution to your leg pain.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1