New terminal in Galveston Texas - Progress

bgoff60

Ouch that’s high.  It’s about $17 a night in the garage across from the old pier right now. Since we never park in Fort Lauderdale or Miami I can’t compare but that’s pricey.  Plus it’s outside.  Summer will bake your car and no hurricane or water protection and we all know how Galveston can flood.  For winter and spring it will be okay.  The north and south lots will be convenient for walking. 

14 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Ouch that’s high.  It’s about $17 a night in the garage across from the old pier right now. Since we never park in Fort Lauderdale or Miami I can’t compare but that’s pricey.  Plus it’s outside.  Summer will bake your car and no hurricane or water protection and we all know how Galveston can flood.  For winter and spring it will be okay.  The north and south lots will be convenient for walking. 

An extra $40 to avoid the shuttle cattle cars is OK with me

54 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Don’t think these count as TA’s!

We have done several TA’s in the past that have brought ships into Galveston.

I agree and hope these will return in the future.

Yes not TA’s but different itineraries. Yes we have done and have loved many TA’s , repositionings into and out of Galveston,   and Europe , Italy , Spain , Portugal,  New Jersey Canada , Florida , and with the seasonal ships in the past . We are in Copenhagen now readying for Arctic TA to Boston . 

• 1 month later...

Royal Caribbean Group's new Galveston terminal, which is opening Nov. 9, will be the first cruise terminal to generate 100% of its needed energy through on-site solar panels. This makes the terminal, which will be used by the company's Royal Caribbean International brand, the first LEED Zero Energy facility in the world, according to a press statement. 

We are focused on innovating across all aspects of our company, especially in our work to advance sustainability in the communities we visit," said Jason Liberty, president and CEO, Royal Caribbean Group. "We deeply value both the oceans we sail and the communities we visit and operate in, and the modern design and development features at our terminal in Galveston will work in service of both."

Royal Caribbean Group Galveston Environmental Infographic

The new cruise terminal at the Port of Galveston will be the first in Texas to achieve LEED Gold certification, an industry-leading certification expected to be received within the first two quarters of 2023.

The Galveston terminal marks the cruise company's fourth LEED certified facility and its first Gold certified. The previous projects include Terminal A at PortMiami; the Springfield, Oregon campus; and the Innovation Lab at Royal Caribbean Group's corporate headquarters in Miami.

The $125 million, 161,334-square-foot Galveston Cruise Terminal significantly expands the company's presence in the port, increasing the cruise line's ability to accommodate up to 630,000 guests per year. The opening of the terminal will mark the first time Galveston welcomes Royal Caribbean International's signature Oasis Class, the world's largest cruise ships, with the arrival of Allure of the Seas and the first time the company is bringing its frictionless arrival and departure process to Texas.

New Royal Caribbean Galveston Cruise Terminal to Be Zero-Energy Facility - Cruise Industry News

• Like 3

On 8/26/2022 at 7:45 PM, Jingerwoppy said:

UTMB is across the street from the new terminal. I believe Port of Galveston Parking is several blocks away. 

Parking is next to terminal NOT several blocks away !

Terminal 10 parking.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are booked on the Allure Nov 27th also haven't cruised since 2020 and are excited!  I forgot there will be a new terminal so just now trying to figure out what our parking options are, etc..  We normally park at EZ Cruise Parking.  If anyone has different or new parking information I would appreciate it!  

8 minutes ago, CruiseMomTX said:

We are booked on the Allure Nov 27th also haven't cruised since 2020 and are excited!  I forgot there will be a new terminal so just now trying to figure out what our parking options are, etc..  We normally park at EZ Cruise Parking.  If anyone has different or new parking information I would appreciate it!  

The port of Galveston has built parking lots at the new terminal (terminal 10)

30 minutes ago, CruiseMomTX said:

We quite like Lighthouse Parking. They have elevated lots and you can choose covered or uncovered spaces. Discount codes are easy to find, and we have always found the staff to be professional, friendly, and polite.

• Like 1

There is quite a bit of info on parking on the Homeport/Gulf category on here.  We are using Falstaff Cruise Parking in February.    They also have covered parking, elevation very good in case of flooding and great shuttles.  I called and they are going to be going to pier 3 too.  Much cheaper than the cruise port parking at terminal 3/pier 10.

4 minutes ago, EleventyBangBang said:

Not directly related, but there is a company trying to build a bullet train between Dallas and Houston.  Still in the planning stages, but wow, that would be nice...

That's pretty much in limbo now that the CEO of the venture resigned not so long ago.

2 hours ago, EleventyBangBang said:

Not directly related, but there is a company trying to build a bullet train between Dallas and Houston.  Still in the planning stages, but wow, that would be nice...

That is a dead project, the company  can’t get all the right of way needed 

Edited by not-enough-cruising

1 hour ago, George C said:

Considering the cost of flying and the fact we are getting oasis class ships , many of us Texans will be sailing out of Galveston, we will do our first Texas cruise in 5 years next year. 

Even with the cost of flights (and we are UK based 😀) we are sailing out of Galveston in 2024, booked on Harmony and looking forward to visiting Texas.

• Like 5

We live on the west coast and have chosen to sail out of Galveston on Royal the last several years since they were not sailing here. We still love the port snd city even if it is a pain to get there. We are looking forward to seeing the new terminal and have a large family birthday party schedule for next year on Allure since that is our favorite ship. 

• Like 2

On 10/16/2022 at 12:57 PM, CruiseMomTX said:

I reserved Port of Galveston parking in the uncovered lot next to the parking garage for my Jan 29 cruise for $169 including fees and taxes.  This is the North Lot, Pier 10, is a bit cheaper than the covered park on the same pier, and is easy walking distance.  There's something to be said about walking to your car and hitting the road rather than waiting for a shuttle or uber/lyft

Edited by txjim09
  • Like 2