I e-mailed Jan Swartz regarding the current management and loss of Princess traditions, and.....

1emerald1

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

I am happy to read that you got the same table and waiters on all 5 voyages.  Gives me more positive vibe that we can get the same.  Did you have to speak to DR Mgmt each time, or did it just happen.  Looks like you did see them to at least confirm you were good to go.

We will be early diners (going with 6pm), so should not be an issue waiting for table to turn over.

If the full voyage booking is locking at least Private tables into the same location each night, that is a good thing.  It wasn't that way in the early days from reports I read. 

(My current issue is I have had that full voyage setup at various times and it has got clobbered.  I finally thought we were good when they loaded a 2nd DR to DMW and all slots were wide open.  As I mentioned elsewhere, our friends' booking got compromised - they were not alone - a while back when Princess was playing with putting in new software and testing and had to pull it back.  As a result, dining was lost on two segments of a B2B2B.  I had to jerry-rig with the App to restore some semblance of our bookings to at least hold a 4-top for each night.  I know now when their records are fixed, I will not be able to book for Full Voyage the same time of 6pm.  Due to sold out and now more and more people using DMW pre-cruise.  Hoping DR #3 will allow me to re-establish).

I have no issue to speak with DR Mgmt to secure our table for full voyage - and fully have expected to do so.  I just expect the App to perform.  I have been using it since Day 1 and lived through various bugs and such.  I agree it is working better now, but still not confident it will have assigned same table each night (we don't get to see the assigned table number).  Some people have reported their bookings erased from DMW upon boarding and also being assigned to different DR.  So, I understand bad things can happen, but don't hesitate to request something from Mgmt.

I know from Day 1 that DMW cannot - on its own - deliver TD experience as guests knew it.  But if they have a way to make it happen otherwise, great.  I agree with your last paragraph in that DMW gives a lot more flexibility and new features and concept is good.  I think we just need to better understand the limitations and how to work around them.

Had some issues with app I'm early days, but not since first of the year.

Key items with app

1. have good internet access before the cruise Data is stored on servers. If you do not have good internet access the system will act erratic like the data is gone because it cannot access and get the info from the server. If you put data in and it appears to be gone at a later time makes sure you have good access before reentering. or wait a bit then try accessing again.

2. make sure you are running current version when prepping for a cruise

3. make sure you have plenty of free memory on your phone. Too little memory and it acts erratic

17 hours ago, 1emerald1 said:

I voiced my dissatisfaction with the direction Princess is going under the new management, such as the removal of traditional and anytime dining, the cheap gimmicks they are implementing and the overall demise of the Princess brand.  My biggest concern is that Princess was a brand, that had a loyal market, and why do they feel the need to be every other mainstream cruise line.  My e-mail was polite and courteous.

Yesterday I received a voice message stating that they received my e-mail, they "hear" me, they know that DMW isn't up to speed, that I am not the only one who has voiced the same concerns, and again that they "hear" me.  But, this is the direction that Princess is going, and they are committed to it.  They gave me $75 OBC for an upcoming cruise, which was not my intent in sending the e-mail.  I just want my Princess back.

Can I ask how long it took you to get a response from her/customer service? 

I have emailed about FCC that was taken incorrectly as well as FCC that are incorrect and money not returned for a canceled cruise.  Over the past few days I have been on hold for hours with customer service and am on hold again for 30 minutes so far (I'm sure it will be in the hours when it is over!) trying to get through. Each day I have tried, after two or more hours on hold I have to hang up.  I am in the process of becoming a travel agent and have no idea how I can actually sell this line with the horrible customer service so far.  If I am working for myself and I have to wait on hold for hours without an answer from a person, that is a problem.  I refuse to treat my customers this way.  This will be our first time on Princess and unless they completely wow us on this cruise, it will be the last.

It is very clear that with the technology available, the new system works for the great percentage of guests.  

But, this is like the whole Chair Hog, Slob-vs-Snob, Smoking, and many other beating-a-dead-horse debates.... There are gonna be those who want it 'their' way, and will die on that hill.

• Like 4

I have my first post Covid cruise coming up in less than a month so I haven't experienced DMW yet.

But I don't moan over the loss of Traditional Dining, if that means dining at the same time every day, with the same people every day, especially on a longer cruise. It was pure torture to be assigned to that table with the braggadocios lout who drank too much, was too loud, had strong opinions and only his were correct and cut off everyone else when they tried to contribute to the conversation.

In the old days, and I go very far back in the old days, you had traditional dining because you had to. The ships were only so big and had so much room for dining. There were no specialty dining options there was just the dining room.

When we go on land based vacations we don't eat at the same places, at the same time and with the same people for two weeks.

What I don't like about DMW, as I understand it, is that I should be making reservations now (or Princess expects me to) for the MDR and specialty restaurants. When and where I want to dine 45 days from now will depend on what I did that day and how I feel. I get that some MBA bean counter would love to have every passenger on every ship committed to where they will dine two months in advance, but that is for THEIR convenience not mine.

My last thought is, are those who pine for TD to come back, willing to dress up in a suit or tux and fancy dinner dresses every night, because that was always a huge part of Traditional Dining.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Traditional, everything, is on it's way out. Princess HAS to change to survive, and is reinventing themselves. Growing pains is what a lot of older folks are experiencing with this. But the younger crowd (anyone 60 or younger) are the future of cruising. 

Very much agree but one tradition that Princess had was making promises and delivering on them. That tradition is one that should be kept (or brought back). Princess lists on their website all the items they say they will provide, but routinely fall short of what they themselves say they provide. A fundamental quality of a business is to deliver on their word. Princes has fallen short of that significantly. I wish they would focus on delivering a high quality product consistently. That would put them way ahead of the competition. Yes I know COVID affected many things but that excuse is getting old. If they can't deliver on it, then remove it from the list of things they say they will provide, simple as that. I just ask that they be honest about what they will do and then do it.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I have outlined in the past how the system could work.  Also sent ideas to Princess, FWIW.

Begin by allocating space for TD purposes - like one DR, say.

DMW first asks if guest wants TD or AT.

If AT, then the App proceeds much as it does now, but offering the other DR's and Sharing or Private space.  (IMO, it should also offer table size desired if Sharing).

If TD, the guest is then offered a selection of times in the reserved DR (might be fewer times - IDK).  Times would suit an Early or Late situation. 

Guest also chooses whether Private or Sharing (and would like enhancement to request table size).

It should be made clear to guests when booking, and in the Dining webpage, that TD requests in the App are cutoff 7 days before sail date.

After cutoff, the DR Mgmt on board can review the setup and adjust as needed (similar to what they used to do.

Once done, any unused space is released back to DMW for AT bookings or walk-ups.

Sure there are still going to be requests by guests to adjust their dining - it's happening now - and they can work to accommodate during the cruise.

OTOH, if DMW is actually now locking guests into the same table when they book for the whole voyage, that essentially solves the TD option for a Private Table.  In terms of Sharing, with DMW it's going to be random mix and some folks want that and some prefer same group.  You can please some of the people some of the time, but never all of the people all of the time.  That said, in terms of "locking guests into a table", it gets quite complicated when some guests are on a single voyage and others are on various combination of B2B's and such.  The software just cannot be that complex in order to dynamically move guests around to line everything up "just so".

It does not lock you into a specific table. Only to a specific DR and time. We still need to request the same staff and table every night, if that’s what you want.  We wait until after dinner, first night to ask. Sometimes you may not want that table or staff.  

On all the b2b’s we’ve done, one of the head waiters comes over and asks, would you like this table next cruise? Or, you can certainly tell them also. 

Personally, I like the DMW concept and we have not had problems with it OB.

The biggest headache is for the Maitre’d/DRO. What a job, seating people every 20 mins, constantly scrambling. 

I love changes, if it provides benefits and it is implemented as promised.  Bring it on!

Your ideas are great, as always, and would benefit almost every cruiser, IMO.

However, I don’t believe any changes will happen this year.  They have made a decision to go this way and will get a lot of feedback.  If there are changes, it probably would be 2023/24.

AND… I am fine with no changes this year because a change would mean updating the APP!    NO…… I have all my DMW ducks in order!   😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

I respect your opinion but love the new direction Princess has taken, especially with the DMW feature.  In my view, it is so much improved.  I used to get skunked out of going to dinner in the MDR unless we wanted to eat very early or very late.  Now, I’m always able to eat at the time I choose.  And, we’ve had spectacular service and the food has been anywhere from very good to a excellent.  
I feel as though there have been so many positive aspects of cruising on Princess since their return to service.  I can’t be the only one .. so, I’m sure that with as many of those that want the old and familiar way of cruising back, there are probably just as many, if not more, that like the newer way of doing business.  In addition to the newbie cruisers that don’t have anything to compare it to, I don’t see things going back to the way it was.  

I couldn't agree more!

• Like 2

Reminder, this thread is not about tipping, chair hogs, dress code, name calling or demographics.  I posted it with the intent of relaying the response I got from Princess, for those interested, period.

For those who expressed differing opinions and suggestions in a friendly manner, I thank you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

Reminder, this thread is not about tipping, chair hogs, dress code, name calling or demographics.  I posted it with the intent of relaying the response I got from Princess, for those interested, period.

For those who expressed differing opinions and suggestions in a friendly manner, I thank you!

from what I have read - this thread is 90%+ in regards to DMW, TD, and AT - I guess that is the most troubling "princess tradition" that has gone askew, huh?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, voljeep said:

from what I have read - this thread is 90%+ in regards to DMW, TD, and AT - I guess that is the most troubling "princess tradition" that has gone askew, huh?

I think the most troubling loss is the lack of chocolate during turn down service and the lack of blue bags- not really.  But they seem to get their share of discussion time.

Edited by ldtr

1 minute ago, ldtr said:

I think the most troubling loss is the lack of chocolate during turn down service and the lack of blue bags- not really.  But they seem to get their share of discussion time.

I'm guessing the "2 pats of butter" have been resolved by Princess and that is no longer a concern for passengers - at least Princess took care of that

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ALKID said:

What’s DMW, TD and AT?

DMY - Dine My Way (Medallion dining reservation system)

TD - Traditional Dining (before DMY:  same time, same dining room, same table every night)
AT - Any Time Dining (before and after DMY:  show up when and where you want and be seated at the next available table)

• Thanks 1

As far as DMW we enjoyed the new format on our July cruise. Beside the the food which was very good the dining staff were exceptional. No matter what night, we were looked after and entertained. For me that's important for a pleasant dining experience.       

30 minutes ago, capriccio said:

DMY - Dine My Way (Medallion dining reservation system)

TD - Traditional Dining (before DMY:  same time, same dining room, same table every night)
AT - Any Time Dining (before and after DMY:  show up when and where you want and be seated at the next available table)

Wow.  Just re-read this and apologize for adding to the confusion with my typos!  DMY doesn’t exist of course.  Read it as DMW.

• Like 1

Yep, love those darned typos!  : )

Back on topic.  Yes, to that one poster,  there are ways to have, for example, one TD dining room.  And, Princess has tried and re-tried the dual TD and ATD thing.  Again, that brought issues of it's own.  At the end of the day, Princess sees that the level of demand is just not there once everyone is onboard.

I wonder if those that wanted that one TD dining room, with set times and communal seating, would complain if that one dining room was the lower Aft dining room, and not of the atrium/piazza?  Anytime dining doesn't work well if there is no nice waiting area, as the case in the lower Aft dining room.

I think Princess is on the right track.  And given some time to perfect the system, it will work out.

20 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I am wondering when they started opening up all three DR's in the MC App DMW.  I had read of a couple in 2024 and checked one myself.

I actually meant 2023.  We are stuck so far with only two DR's open for sold out voyages less than a month out.

On 9/6/2022 at 1:53 PM, 1emerald1 said:

I voiced my dissatisfaction with the direction Princess is going under the new management, such as the removal of traditional and anytime dining, the cheap gimmicks they are implementing and the overall demise of the Princess brand.  My biggest concern is that Princess was a brand, that had a loyal market, and why do they feel the need to be every other mainstream cruise line.  My e-mail was polite and courteous.

Yesterday I received a voice message stating that they received my e-mail, they "hear" me, they know that DMW isn't up to speed, that I am not the only one who has voiced the same concerns, and again that they "hear" me.  But, this is the direction that Princess is going, and they are committed to it.  They gave me $75 OBC for an upcoming cruise, which was not my intent in sending the e-mail.  I just want my Princess back.

I am reposting OP's' original thread starter.  I am guilty of adding my 2 cents that may have contributed to the deviated path OP intended.  

I will admit that I do not like change, especially if change is in the opposite direction of the way I think.  I liked what Princess had to offer much better than the other cruise lines I sailed on.  I know my days are numbered since I won't fly long distances to get on a ship and they are removing/relocating my favorite smaller Grand Class ships.  I have been loyal to Princess.  I need to be more selective in my cruises now which will mean many less cruises in the future. 

Princess, please listen to your past passengers and find a happy medium.  

Thank you @1emerald1for speaking out for the rest of us.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am reposting OP's' original thread starter.  I am guilty of adding my 2 cents that may have contributed to the deviated path OP intended.  

I will admit that I do not like change, especially if change is in the opposite direction of the way I think.  I liked what Princess had to offer much better than the other cruise lines I sailed on.  I know my days are numbered since I won't fly long distances to get on a ship and they are removing/relocating my favorite smaller Grand Class ships.  I have been loyal to Princess.  I need to be more selective in my cruises now which will mean many less cruises in the future. 

9 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Most welcome and thank you for your kind reply!

• Like 1

@HaveDogWillTravelYou really are not wasting your time getting in to the retirement groove.  You give us all hope that things have reached rock bottom and there are signs of improvement.  Ships that sailed empty made up for some of Princess' deficiencies.  As voyages moved closer to capacity is when problems became more evident.  I am keeping my fingers crossed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, 93yearsyoung said:

But I don't moan over the loss of Traditional Dining, if that means dining at the same time every day, with the same people every day, especially on a longer cruise. It was pure torture to be assigned to that table with the braggadocios lout who drank too much, was too loud, had strong opinions and only his were correct and cut off everyone else when they tried to contribute to the conversation.

My last thought is, are those who pine for TD to come back, willing to dress up in a suit or tux and fancy dinner dresses every night, because that was always a huge part of Traditional Dining.

The only time we had bad tablemates was on a short cruise (4 nights) with a boring couple who did not want to have a conversation. Making things worse was the fact that it was a table for 8 with just us and that couple. But we managed to endure. If it had been a longer cruise, we would have asked to change tables.

I've only been taking Princess cruises since 2001. Even 20 years ago, men could make it into a dining room without a coat and tie. I did not sail on Princess when passengers were expected to dress up every night. I did sail on Holland America when they had semi-formal nights in addition to smart casual and formal nights. On semi-formal nights, they expected men to wear jacket and tie. We took sports coats and tuxedos on those cruises to accommodate the dress code. Thankfully it was before the airlines started charging baggage fees. We used to have a large checked bag apiece along with a rolling garment bag for our tuxedos and sports coats and dress shirts.

I used to enjoy when late traditional dining was at 8 or 8:15. We made many friends through traditional dining. On my last few cruises--which I've done solo--I started eating earlier because the other people who go late aren't asking to share a table. We had the same problem as a couple when we had anytime dining for the first and only time in 2002. 

On my cruise last month, I did eat several times with many of the same people at breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the dining rooms. I probably would have run into them more often if I had kept the same dining room and time. But I made a fixed reservation for 6:20 in the Island Dining Room and then took whatever was available if I decided I need to change the time due to the activities happening a particular evening. I ended up eating in all three main dining rooms.

The app worked fine for me in changing my reservations, but I ran into people who had problems with getting it to work for them. One friend ended up making a standing reservation in the Palm Dining Room through a head waiter.