The Fleet Report and Daily for Wednesday September 7th, 2022

richwmn

Today is National Salami Day, Neither Rain nor Snow Day, and National Beer Lover's Day

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.--Anonymous, Holy Bible; New International Version

Meal Suggestion for today - cauliflower and chickpea curry
Drink of the Day - Jim Beam Black Hot Toddy
Wine of the Day - Schlink Haus 2020 Spätlese Riesling (Nahe) German
Destination of the Day - Port Canaveral, Florida, US

Eurodam

Sitka, Baranof Island, Alaska 08:00 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Skagway, Alaska 07:00 - 21:00

Nieuw Statendam

Quebec City, Canada 05:00 - 16:00

Noordam

Juneau, Alaska 10:00 - 22:00

Oosterdam

Sarande, Albania 08:00 - 17:00

Rotterdam

Lerwick, Mainland Shetland, Scotland 10:00 - 18:00

Westerdam

Hubbard Glacier, Alaska 14:00 - 18:00

Zaandam

Sydney NS, Nova Scotia Canada 08:00 - 17:00

Zuiderdam

Vancouver, BC Canada 07:00 - 16:00

Volendam

Rotterdam Waalhaven Ukraine Relief

0907Alaska.png

0907World.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 33
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for the Hump Day report, Rich.  I'll salute our mail carriers day but pass a bit on the other days.  I love the quote but will pass on the meal.  Port Canaveral was my first ever departure port for a conventional cruise ship (Carnival Fantasy, 1993).  My favorite thing to do there has been to visit Kennedy Space Center although my last time there I visited my brother's grave.

Today’s care list:

RIP Baltimore Fire Captain Anthony Workman 9/2/22
RIP luvteaching’s friend Waybe 9/3/22 and strength for Karen
Western wildfires
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Horizon Chaser 1957 needing new treaatment for arthritis
The locks at Ijmuiden(Rotterdam diverted to at least 9/18)
Cruisin Terri leak situation
From the rotation:
HAL Sailer Sister in Law recovering from cancer surgery, poor biopsy, awaiting scans 9/13,  and making hard decisions
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Sandi’s neighbor Linda in critical condition

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
Tiogacruiser stepping up to cover wines  for cat shepard
Welcome home Kochleffel
5 days for Marshhawk (Ecstasy 9/12 to 9/22)
4 days for Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam 9/11 to 9/25)
4 days for Cunnorl (Westerdam 9/11 to 9/18)
luvteaching (Eurodam to 9/10). cat shepard (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/11), Vax1700 (Rotterdam  to 9/11), and Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for the fleet reports Rich and Roy for the lists.

We had a lovely meal last night.

I like a nice hoppy beer.

I'm not keen on Salami.

We sailed out of Port Canaveral on Enchantment of the seas to the Bahamas.

Wishing everyone a wonderful day.

IMG_20220906_184133.jpg

IMG_20220906_192545.jpg

• Like 37

Good morning everyone! I have sailed into Port Canaveral on a reposition cruise from Montreal to Port Everglades. We have done that repositioning cruise about five times and I’m struggling to remember what ship it was but leaning toward Maasdam.

We are going on a lunch date and checking out a local Thai restaurant that is new and we haven’t been to. The restaurant has been getting some good reviews.

First, I’ll get a walk in then have to do some weed pulling and later some banking. Banking will be last after showering as the high today will be 89 F and humidity is 92%!🥵

Have a great day, enjoy the moment and enjoy the Daily. Thanks to all.

Bruce

• Like 28

Good morning, everyone!

It felt good to be home and sleeping in my own bed.  I have a little bit of painting to finish up here.  I think the rest has to go as is so we can get this place listed.  I only have to do the hallway upstairs.

Today's meal sounds good to me!  Cauliflower has many health benefits.  It is great for gut health.  That seems to be the rage these days, but it can help gut health which makes things flow smoothly.  Ok, it might make you gassy, but just let 'er rip.  Cauliflower may have anti-cancer benefits.  All the research on the cruciferous vegetable aren't in yet, but eat them anyways.  Cauliflower also is a good source of fiber, Vitamin C, and Vitamin A.  And, the biggest thing:  cauliflower may boost your immune system.  So, in addition to limiting exposure and getting your boosters before a cruise, eat cauliflower.  You want all the help you can get to avoid that nasty virus!

230787084_Cauliflower1.thumb.jpg.81072fdfdd6a462695c5e63f5b3ad9f4.jpg

The best way to prepare cauliflower to preserve the nutrients is to eat it raw. For those with digestive issues that may cause problems.  When cooking vegetables to preserve the most nutrients do not use water.  I prefer to roast the vegetables.  For this dish you are putting the cauliflower into a sauce, so leached vitamins will go there.  

A curry is a dish with a sauce seasoned with spices, mainly associated with South Asian cuisine. In southern India, leaves from the curry tree may be included.

There are many varieties of curry. In traditional cuisines, the selection of spices for each dish is a matter of national or regional cultural tradition, religious practice, and preference of the chef. Such dishes have names that refer to their ingredients, spicing, and cooking methods. Outside the Indian subcontinent, a curry is a dish from Southeast Asia which uses coconut milk or spice pastes, commonly eaten over rice. Curries may contain fish, meat, poultry, or shellfish, either alone or in combination with vegetables. Others are vegetarian. Dry curries are cooked using small amounts of liquid, which is allowed to evaporate, leaving the other ingredients coated with the spice mixture. Wet curries contain significant amounts of sauce or gravy based on broth, coconut cream or coconut milk, dairy cream or yogurt, or legume purée, sautéed crushed onion, or tomato purée.

Curry powder, a commercially prepared mixture of spices marketed in the West, was first exported to Britain in the 18th century when Indian merchants sold a concoction of spices, similar to garam masala, to the British colonial government and army returning to Britain.

From Healthline:   

The combination of spices found in curry powder makes this seasoning a great way to add flavor and nutritional benefits to your dishes.

The spice blend is rich in anti-inflammatory compounds and consuming it may help reduce oxidative stress, boost heart health, and improve blood sugar levels, among other potential benefits.

The best part is that curry powder makes an excellent addition to a wide array of recipes. Try adding it to your favorite dish for a healthful kick of flavor and color.

Though curry powder is widely available in supermarkets, you can also find a wide selection of products online.

This first recipe is easy to make and perfect for the vegans and vegetarians in your household.  https://cupfulofkale.com/vegan-cauliflower-and-chickpea-curry/

1221684270_cauliflowerandchickpeacurry1.jpg.e57a30261873a01e5b4a65d08e842280.jpg

This next recipe does contain turmeric.  For those concerned about the lead, the amount is only 1 tsp.  You can choose to omit it or substitute one of the following:

7 Substitutes for Ground Turmeric (That You Can Find In Your Kitchen)

Saffron.

Ground Ginger.

Ground Cumin.

Curry Powder.

Dry Mustard.

Paprika.

Galangal Powder.

You can also adjust the level of spice to your tastes.   

https://minimalistbaker.com/1-pot-yellow-chickpea-cauliflower-curry/

687357711_cauliflowerandchickpeacurry3.thumb.jpg.0c7715cdffd07ba57b4d71f7c8fcdd1e.jpg

Doesn't that look wonderful!

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

• Like 29
  • Thanks 10

Good Wednesday Morning!  It's cloudy and 69 degrees in Stone Mountain GA.  I was actually up early enough to catch real news.  I had no idea about Providence's amount of rain.  

I have been job napped once again.  And I will be working for my very first boss that I worked with when I started with this company and that was back in 2016.  With all the campaigns and people working all over the country, our "direct" boss is the person who hired us.  He has risen above manager into some high position within  the company, but he still has to run a campaign.  It's a small group, just two of us who will be working Asheville Symphony.  I was stolen from my Louisville campaign, and will keep my California campaign as back up for those extra hours that I need.  I think my training is sometime this week, and then I'm on my cruise, and come back to work the day after I get back.  I did ask if I could work all 3 campaigns , but the max is two, and my brain really wouldn't be able to hold all that sales information.

Todays adventure is to go pick up the meds that we will need for the cruise,  work two shifts, STILL walk the dog, and get the suitcases out and start packing.  DH is procrastinating about picking up another pair of light weight shoes, and knowing him, he will be out shopping the day before we leave.

I love salami, I love the quote, I respect my mail person, and I never really liked beer, (but I drank it anyway back in the day).  I was up at Road Atlanta Race Track years ago with my ex husband, and one of his work buddies with his wife, and son, Corrie.  Corrie wanted to get autographs from all the drivers, (he was 7) so I took him into the paddock area after the races, and he asked all the drivers for their autographs.  This worked well until we got to Paul Newman.  "I dont give autographs kid" he said to Corrie.  Corrie said to him  " I got (some woman drivers) autograph, and she drove better than you did."

Again Mr. Newman said, "  I dont do autographs, get yourself a beer out of the cooler".   Corrie said, "gesh, Mr. I'm only 7, I dont drink beer...do you have root beer?"   I think of that moment every time I have a root beer.  Corrie of course is all grown up, and I doubt if he remembers that day.  I saw his father often at the symphony when I ushered,  he had a new wife, so did not talk much about the past.

in-1879-cats-were-used-to-deliver-mail-in-belgium-28281778.png

• Like 27
  • Haha 8

A warmer start today, a balmy 54. I can get outside to work much earlier today.   More weeding. I started to load the pickup and staged all the plants to bring home. I hope my sister has space for those I allotted to her of they will be stacked three deep.  I drove through the woods to gather fallen maple branches to use for kindling for spring fires.  I have done about everything for our trip home at this point.  It is going to be a beautiful mid 70s day with low humidity.  Dinner at our neighbor's house today with all my favorite people at the lake, other than my 96 year old friend who isn't coming here anymore.  

Thanks for the Daily Reports. I will pass on the cocktail and food but the Schlink Riesling should be a winner.  I love the Space Coast, we almost moved there in another life.   I have never been to Port Canaveral. Prayers for all on our Care list and for the people of Ukraine. 

A baby snapping turtle that hatched last year today.  The nest was in gravel along our sidewalk. They have moved on to our neighbors with a less steep climb to find nesting areas. 

QGVM7zNKRv-R6c5JCs5wqg.jpg

• Like 30

Good morning friends!  It's about 71F and only 90% humidity.  The weather can't make up its mind.  Cloudy, sunny, clear, then rain.  I give up!  We decided to give our treadmill a rest and walked the neighborhoods.  2.7 miles in for the day.  Just cut DH's hair and now time to read the Daily and Fleet Report.  Thanks to Rich @richwmnfor providing it.  Thanks also to Roy @rafinmdfor the Care and Celebration lists.  Let's see - salami is okay.  I like it on a sub sandwich.  Not a fan of beer but I do appreciate those who do.  They provided DH an income for about 30 years, working at the brewery.  Neither rain nor snow day is obviously pertaining to the mail service.  Which by the way goes further downhill every year.  Of course, I love the quote!  I don't care for curry but I would be glad to just have some steamed cauliflower.  No thanks to the drink and wine.

Prayers for all on our Care list, plus Ukraine and top of my list, neighbor Linda. 🙏 Yesterday I saw Linda's garage door open and a fellow neighbor who used to hang out with Linda (movies, shopping, etc.) was there putting their trash bin out for pick up, moving some potted plants onto her front porch, and picking up mail, etc.  I may need to text said neighbor and ask her for an update on Linda and where she is right now.  The accident was two weeks ago today.  Hope to hear some good news about Linda's recovery.  Cheers to all on the Celebration list.  🥂  Enjoy your cruises!

DD posted a photo of Sadie after she had a full grooming the other day.  She looks less like a wooly bear now.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLCZ594oc3okBmJBF-xpReZKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1662393189

Did I ever post the photo of her refusing to walk on a leash, lying on her back spreadeagled?  DD says she's not quite that bad now but still a long way to go.  Let me know if I failed to post it here before because my memory is like a sieve sometimes!  lol🥴

Today's port of Port Canaveral is an interesting one.  We had that one listed here March 25, 2021 which is on page 63 of Rich's posting activity.  Here's a link for those who want to retrieve their photos posted back then.

Port Canaveral is a port we've been to twice for our two Disney cruises on Disney Dream, March 2013 and March 2015.  Now that the grandkids are getting older I guess we won't be going back unless there are great grandkids to cruise with.  None in the foreseeable future I hope!

The Disney terminal is a nice building but I can't remember there being a lot of seating in there.  Just wide open spaces for kids to run around.  One feature is a model of a Disney ship which everyone found fascinating because one side had a cut away of the interior. enhance

enhance

I don't see any seating here!enhance

enhance

When your group is called to board you walk through these mouse ears.enhance

When you get inside a crew member asks you how you'd like to be introduced.  For instance, the Jones family, or Joe and Mary Smith, etc.  Then you really are introduced over the loudspeaker into the Atrium where you walk by crew members who are cheering and applauding your arrival.  Very nice and welcoming.  enhance

enhance

Photo of terminal from the ship.  You can go out to the balcony before you board to see the ship and take photos.  

enhance

Other ships in port with us. enhance

And the space center across the way where rockets are launched. enhance

• Like 29
  • Thanks 2

Good morning Dailyites. A beautiful morning with birds singing and a soft breeze.

Praying for all on our care lists and the people of Ukraine. 

Salami and beer lovers.. sounds like a day they belong together but I do not care for either.

image.png.033ab1b164cc45634374ed650a2b8f19.png

image.png.8bcc612f664a25822f101bcdc702852e.png

Wishing everyone a great day! Xx

• Like 18
  • Haha 6

Good Morning from a sunny and warm day at the beach

Love the quote. I have read that as a reading as part of several of my nieces and nephews weddings.   Not a beer drinker and dont really care for salami.

Port Canaveral as the port of the day! How great is that! My first cruise out of here was on the "Big Red Boat" in 1993. It has changed a lot since then. Now there are actual terminals, nice restaurants and much easier to get to. Even though I am at the port frequently ( doing drop off/pick up) HAL is my line of choice and doesnt  homeport here. There are ships ( both passenger and freight) here every day. Of course, Spacex uses the port to bring back the recovered booster rockets from their drone ships. Always great to see.

We have appointment on Friday for the new booster. Our pharmacist is assisting me in getting the " vacation over ride" for a few prescriptions. Very helpful.

Off to water aerobics.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 27

Jim Beam Black Hot Toddy cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Jim Beam Black®
1 part Honey
2 parts Fresh Lemon Juice
1/4 cup Hot Water
Lemon Peel

Instructions
Put bourbon, honey, and lemon juice in a 6-ounce mug. Top off with hot water and stir until honey is dissolved. Garnish with a lemon peel (optional).

Screen Shot 2022-09-07 at 9.04.01 AM.png

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4

Good cool morning and thanks for the update.  More rain expected today. 
I’ve been to PC several times, including a NYE cruise on Zaandam and a Disney weekend cruise. 
Have some errands to run today, including a visit to my TA. I’m probably going to cancel my October cruise and try to rebook something Caribbean for later. I’m still waiting for  an appointment for my hand treatment. Insurance company is not responding.

@rafinmd Please look at my post #81 from yesterday daily I think your response was in error. 
Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 26

1 hour ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning everyone! I have sailed into Port Canaveral on a reposition cruise from Montreal to Port Everglades. We have done that repositioning cruise about five times and I’m struggling to remember what ship it was but leaning toward Maasdam.

We are going on a lunch date and checking out a local Thai restaurant that is new and we haven’t been to. The restaurant has been getting some good reviews.

First, I’ll get a walk in then have to do some weed pulling and later some banking. Banking will be last after showering as the high today will be 89 F and humidity is 92%!🥵

Have a great day, enjoy the moment and enjoy the Daily. Thanks to all.

Bruce

You are correct. It was the Maasdam. Met you at M&G which y’all were in charge and did a great job. October 10, 2009. I believe the M&G was 10/11/09 at the old Piano Bar at 11 am. Don’t ask me for more details because I can remember more 🤪

• Like 20

Good morning everyone. It has stopped raining but the sun has not come out yet. The recipes look good but we are making more soup today for the evening meal.I used to love beer way too much….Salami is an occasional treat.

My in laws lived for many years in Ft. Lauderdale and DH and I made many trips from NY by car when various situations arose . We stopped at the port once on the way back home and enjoyed our visit. That part of Florida was less developed at the time and quite beautiful to explore.

Our teenager reported that the first day of high school was “ok”. It is a big school and a bit of an adjustment. Tana gave the ok for him to try out for the JV football team and he was happy about that. He is now 14 and 6 feet tall. Time marches on.

Terry

• Like 30