Port Canaveral to the Magic Kingdom

cruiselover48

With Uber, you'd be looking at $300+ round trip.  Shuttles are usually around $70pp round trip, and kids count as a person.  The least expensive option might be to find another family on your cruise and split the cost of an Uber XL

One thing to know is that  you can no longer "pop in" to Disney World.  You must buy your passes in advance and have a park reservation.  

• Like 2

You will spend more time on the road to and from Disney than any real time spent at any of the parks.

You could possibly rent a car for the day at Port Canaveral,but it might not

be worth it. Goggle driving directions from the port to Disneyworld,then decide if the drive is reasonable for you.

The twenty month old child will not remember anything of a visit to Magic Kingdom,but you may remember the hassle it took to get there.

MJ🙋🏻

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, cruiselover48 said:

WE have a stop in Port Canaveral and Royal is not offering transportation to Disney, Does anyone know another way to get to the Magic Kingdom with a 20 month old. Thanks in advance

When is your sail date. We’re sailing on October 9 and have transport to Disney. 
it’s already paid and hoping it’s not cancelled. 

We were just at Disney World (not with a cruise).  If you end up going to Magic Kingdom on your port stop and if it's in your budget, I recommend purchasing Genie+.  You can at least almost walk on to each ride (that has lightning lane) once.  Will save you lots of time vs stand by and will be able to get on to rides.

How long is your day in port? Most port stops seem to be approximately 7-4. If that's the case, you could probably safely plan on being off the ship by 8, maybe a little bit earlier. Magic Kingdom is an hour each way if everything goes perfectly, and Orlando traffic rarely goes perfectly, so let's say you get there at 9:30 or 10. That would leave you with about 3.5 to maybe 4.5 hours in the park before you'd need to be back on the road to be on the ship by all aboard at 3:30. Aside from part transport, remember that you need park tickets (at probably $120 minimum per adult, the baby's free) and a park reservation. This is a very long day for a fairly minimal amount of park time. Please think about whether or not it's worth it to you. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mspink98 said:

How long is your day in port? Most port stops seem to be approximately 7-4. If that's the case, you could probably safely plan on being off the ship by 8, maybe a little bit earlier. Magic Kingdom is an hour each way if everything goes perfectly, and Orlando traffic rarely goes perfectly, so let's say you get there at 9:30 or 10. That would leave you with about 3.5 to maybe 4.5 hours in the park before you'd need to be back on the road to be on the ship by all aboard at 3:30. Aside from part transport, remember that you need park tickets (at probably $120 minimum per adult, the baby's free) and a park reservation. This is a very long day for a fairly minimal amount of park time. Please think about whether or not it's worth it to you. 

Based on the OP location, they could be sailing from Bayonne on either Oasis or Anthem which are in port typically from 1pm to 9pm.  They need to check the hours for Disney and the park that they want to visit.  We are sailing Oasis soon and the day we are in Port Canaveral, Magic Kingdom closes at 6pm.  It would be a total waste of money for us to so to Magic Kingdom that day as we would be lucky to get 3 hours in the park.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I've heard you even need a reservation to get into the Magic Kingdom. The other parks are OK.

4 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

I've heard you even need a reservation to get into the Magic Kingdom. The other parks are OK.

You need a reservation at all of the parks.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

You do need to reserve whatever park you are going to...Magic Kingdom is one that books up though.

32 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Based on the OP location, they could be sailing from Bayonne on either Oasis or Anthem which are in port typically from 1pm to 9pm.  They need to check the hours for Disney and the park that they want to visit.  We are sailing Oasis soon and the day we are in Port Canaveral, Magic Kingdom closes at 6pm.  It would be a total waste of money for us to so to Magic Kingdom that day as we would be lucky to get 3 hours in the park.

If it closes at 6pm, then it's probably a Halloween party night.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruiselover48 said:

WE have a stop in Port Canaveral and Royal is not offering transportation to Disney, Does anyone know another way to get to the Magic Kingdom with a 20 month old. Thanks in advance

I would strongly recommend not trying to go to Disney from a cruise stop in PC

• Like 4

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

It’s actually 6pm closing as Disney has a holloweeen show afterwards with a separate fee. 
Hopefully, with the key program well be able to catch the 1:15-30 shuttle and get at best 4-5 hours in the magic kingdom. 

My DIL had some $400 in Disney bucks that would have expired. 

12 minutes ago, nelblu said:

It’s actually 6pm closing as Disney has a holloweeen show afterwards with a separate fee. 
Hopefully, with the key program well be able to catch the 1:15-30 shuttle and get at best 4-5 hours in the magic kingdom. 

My DIL had some $400 in Disney bucks that would have expired. 

It is closing at 6pm as I said, yes, as I also said, I am aware it is for the Halloween party but why it is closing at 6pm is irrelevant.  It is closing at 6pm.  

I have no idea how you think you are going to get 4 to 5 hours in Magic Kingdom if you are taking a shuttle at 1:15 or 1:30 when you have at least an hour ride to Magic Kingdom.  If you happen to make a 1:15 shuttle, you are still getting to Disney at 2:15 at the earliest, which is already less that 4 hours.

Definitely not worth the money and hassle to us but with money you are going to lose, it is a different story.  I would choose a park that is staying open later though to get more time in the park as you have to consider the time you are also losing getting to and from the Disney Transportation and ticket center to the actual park you are going to.

Sorry to add to this post.  We are doing a stop in Port Canaveral in November off of Anthem of the Seas.   We are in port roughly from 1:00 - 9:00,  I have rented a car for myself, hubs, grown sons and grandson.   Where do you suggest we go for the day?  Thanks.

On 9/12/2022 at 2:31 PM, ValerieJo said:

Sorry to add to this post.  We are doing a stop in Port Canaveral in November off of Anthem of the Seas.   We are in port roughly from 1:00 - 9:00,  I have rented a car for myself, hubs, grown sons and grandson.   Where do you suggest we go for the day?  Thanks.

We usually rent a car and go visit family but we have also gone to Disney Springs to see the Christmas decorations.  We downloaded the Disney app and made reservations for a late lunch/early dinner.  Not sure of the grandson's age but the Brevard Zoo is supposed to be good for young kids and has a train too.  Ron Jon's is worth walking through if you are headed in that direction.  We have gone to the pier in Cocoa Beach but not impressed.  Check out the hours of the space center and see if it is worth it.

The hours Anthem comes in are tough for scheduling things.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Not sure of the grandson's age but the Brevard Zoo is supposed to be good for young kids and has a train too. 

The Brevard zoo is a great option, and not just for little kids.  Limited food options at the zoo, but they are almost limitless at the huge Avenues of Viera complex just across the interstate at that exit. November would be a good time to go, not too hot, even though most of the areas are shaded. 

• Thanks 1

I would not do Disney as a port stop. Number one, there is literally no time to go there. 1-hour commute each way. Then about 30 minutes each way to wear you would get dropped off (TTC or Contemporary). $100+ per person to get in. Add in anything that could go wrong and you miss getting back in time.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2022 at 11:31 AM, ValerieJo said:

Universal....buy the head of the line pass.

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Came here to look for this topic. We're on a Norwegian cruise that stops in Port Canaveral from 7 am to 1 am (yes you read that correctly, we depart after midnight) on Sunday, Jan. 22, and the friends we're going with are planning to go to the Magic Kingdom. I'm thinking my husband and I might look into sharing an Uber with our friends but then going to Epcot as it seems more interesting. 

Thoughts? I know everyone said "you won't have enough time" but considering it's actually 18 hours in port for us, does that change your opinion? Anyone know how the traffic is likely to be on a Sunday in January with nothing big going on?

On 9/10/2022 at 5:40 PM, cruiselover48 said:

Your biggest issue will be transportation. With a 20 month old you need specialized Child Restraint devices and few, if any, cabs or Uber have them. You can find shuttle companies with them, especially in Orlando, but they will not be inexpensive.

On 11/30/2022 at 11:48 AM, pookel said:

Came here to look for this topic. We're on a Norwegian cruise that stops in Port Canaveral from 7 am to 1 am (yes you read that correctly, we depart after midnight) on Sunday, Jan. 22, and the friends we're going with are planning to go to the Magic Kingdom. I'm thinking my husband and I might look into sharing an Uber with our friends but then going to Epcot as it seems more interesting. 

Thoughts? I know everyone said "you won't have enough time" but considering it's actually 18 hours in port for us, does that change your opinion? Anyone know how the traffic is likely to be on a Sunday in January with nothing big going on?

EPCOT has long been my favorite park, but with the new Star Wars area, Hollywood Studio is catching up.

I like EPCOT a lot for the food options, there are some great restaurants in the park.

Traffic should not be an issue.