The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday September 19th, 2022

richwmn

Today is International Talk Like A Pirate Day, National Butterscotch Pudding Day, and National Dance Day

Death ends a life, not a relationship.--Mitch Albom, Tuesdays with Morrie

Meal Suggestion for today - Salsa Roja
Drink of the Day - Banana Nana Daiquiri
Wine of the Day - Castle Rock 2019 Pinot Noir (Monterey County) Cent
Destination of the Day - Isafjordur, Iceland

Eurodam

Juneau, Alaska 13:00 - 22:00

Koningsdam

Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska - Juneau, Alaska 09:00 - 09:30

Nieuw Amsterdam

Glacier Bay, Alaska 08:00 - 17:00

Nieuw Statendam

Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada 09:00 - 18:00

Noordam

At Sea Destination Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska eta 09/20

Oosterdam

Livorno, Florence-Pisa, Italy 07:00 - 19:00

Rotterdam

At Sea Destination Oslo, Norway eta 09/20

Volendam

Relocate to Triest

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Juneau, Alaska eta 09/20

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Prince Edward Island, Charlottetown, Canada eta 09/20

Zuiderdam

Ketchikan, Revillagigedo Island, Alaska 10:00 - 18:00

0919World.thumb.png.3624f7604f27a44db44f291742e8d749.png

• Like 27
  • Thanks 10

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

It is currently 11.54am and Her Majesty the Queen's funeral is currently taking place at Westminster Abbey.

It is terribly sad and moving.

We have been watching TV coverage since 6am and Pauline is crying all of the time.

Prayers for everyone who is unwell or mourning a loved one.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Ahoy.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report matey!

Well shiver me timbers, but I'd like some butterscotch pudding.

I like the quote.

Looking forward to seeing the recipe for today's meal suggestion.

I'm sure the drink and wine will be tasty.

We were in Iceland several years ago, don't know if I can find the pictures.

Prayers for our world.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Thank you for the report, Rich on this terribly sad but moving Monday.  I like @puppycanducruise's comment about Pirates and Butterscotch but I am not a dancer.  I like the Alborn quote but have never been to or even booked to Isafjordur.  I don't like spicy so I'll pass on the meal.

Today’s care list:

Prayers for the UK and Commonwealth as Her Majesty is laid to rest
Western wildfires, Puerto Rico, and Taiwan
Emergency workers, including Maryland Urban Search and Rescue

Strength and healing for smitty34877 and family
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seriousness of Cruzin Terri’s leak damage
HAL Sailer Sister in law feeling too week to meet her brother
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Dfish home under contract
Welcome back cat shepard
Still fight left in HAL Sailer Sister in Law
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
ger_77 and aliaschief with grandkids
New temporary residence for Cruisin Terri
Good oncologist report for bennybear
Welcome home lindaler and aliaschief
Marshhawk (Ecstasy to 9/22), norseh20 (Regata  to 9/25),  Oceansaway17 (Adventure OTS to 9/25), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/25), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 12

2 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the report, Rich on this terribly sad but moving Monday.  I like @puppycanducruise's comment about Pirates and Butterscotch but I am not a dancer.  I like the Alborn quote but have never been to or even booked to Isafjordur.  I don't like spicy so I'll pass on the meal.

Today’s care list:

Prayers for the UK and Commonwealth as Her Majesty is laid to rest
Western wildfires, Puerto Rico, and Taiwan
Emergency workers, including Maryland Urban Search and Rescue

Strength and healing for smitty34877 and family
Marshhawk’s friend Jesse with throat cancer and in denial
Seriousness of Cruzin Terri’s leak damage
HAL Sailer Sister in law feeling too week to meet her brother
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1), msmayor (5/20) and JAM37 (7/7)
Heartgrove brother discharged but in hospice care
Strength for luvteaching’s friend Karen after Wayne’s 9/3 death
Sandi’s neighbor Linda

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Dfish home under contract
Welcome back cat shepard
Still fight left in HAL Sailer Sister in Law
Rowsby in Hawaii until 9/28
ger_77 and aliaschief with grandkids
New temporary residence for Cruisin Terri
Good oncologist report for bennybear
Welcome home lindaler and aliaschief
Marshhawk (Ecstasy to 9/22), norseh20 (Regata  to 9/25),  Oceansaway17 (Adventure OTS to 9/25), Vict0riann (Nieuw Amsterdam  to 9/25), sailingdutchy (Oosterdam  to 10/10), and  Gail&Marty (Rotterdam to 10/15) at sea
Staff Captain Sabine - Our first female Staff Captain and HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Thank you for today's lists Roy and for your prayers 🙏 for us in the UK and in the commonwealth.

The Queen's coffin Is currently being carried out of Westminster Abbey to be put back on the gun carriage and it will be taken to St George's chapel at Windsor castle where she will join Prince Philip, Princess Margaret and the Queen's late parents in a vault together.

The Queen organised her own funeral and it has been a marvelous spectacle and everyone has done her proud.

• Like 26

Good morning, everyone!   

It is a dark and stormy morning here in northeast Ohio.  I am going to have to go to the gym to get my morning laps in.  We are still bantering back and forth with the seller of the home we want.  I think he's having a hard time letting go of the house.  It was his childhood home and his dad lived there up until March when he died.   Many, many memories in that house.  Now that we've met his contingencies, he's asking for more.  We agreed to a couple of them so now we'll see what he comes up with.  

Today's meal suggestion is part of a meal.   Salsa is a common ingredient in Mexican cuisine, served as a condiment with tacos, stirred into soups and stews, or incorporated into tamale fillings. Salsa fresca is fresh salsa made with tomatoes and hot peppers. Salsa verde is made with cooked tomatillos and is served as a dip or sauce for chilaquiles, enchiladas, and other dishes. Chiltomate is a widely used base sauce made of tomatoes and chiles. The type of pepper used for chiltomate varies by region, with fresh green chiles being more common than habanero in Chiapas. Tamales are often identified according to the type of salsa they are filled with, either salsa verde, salsa roja, salsa de rajas, or salsa de mole.

In the United States, salsa is used in marinades, salad dressings, stews, and cooked sauces. In addition to accompanying various fish, poultry, and meat dishes, it is also used as a condiment for baked potatoes, pasta dishes, and pizza.

This easy homemade salsa roja recipe is the ultimate Mexican salsa, perfect for tortillas, tacos and burritos, with tomatoes, jalapeno, lime juice and more. Serve as a salsa or sauce!  https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/chili-pepper-recipes/sauces/salsa-roja-mexican-red-table-sauce/

71615677_salsaroja1.thumb.jpg.e30d036bb1094a1ac6394bc8c58f9d69.jpg

This next recipe is a little chunkier, which I like.  https://www.mylatinatable.com/salsa-recipe-mexican-salsa-roja/

153545153_salsaroja2.jpg.d9c18197e9a05467d7baf396b8a777b5.jpg

Personally, I like mine more of a pico de gallo.  I put it over fish with some olive oil and basil.  I put a cover on it and bake it till done.  Mmmm.   https://cookieandkate.com/classic-pico-de-gallo-recipe/

1156851123_salsaroja3.thumb.jpg.272671de5b8c9436735a6a43ae78f229.jpg

Of course, you can always move away from the tomatoes and make a corn salsa.  That is just as good.   https://cookieandkate.com/fresh-corn-salsa-recipe/

1995004530_salsaroja5.thumb.jpg.bd4fe8ee8255f61d41e171494fa58e08.jpg

Thoughts today with the people of Great Britain and the Queen is laid to rest.  Wishing you all a wonderful day.  I'm packing boxes.  

• Like 26
  • Thanks 10

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  I’m a fan of today’s meal suggestion and I like the recipes and pictures from @dfish, it’s been awhile since I made it fresh.  I’m not a butterscotch fan so will pass on that but do have chocolate in the fridge.  I’m using some sick time this afternoon and will get my flu shot.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

Monday morning motivation is tough today.

image.png.10743cf96eec1fc3610e8bf18e9e3249.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 7

Thank you for today’s report & Daily Rich. It is a lovely morning here. The local deer herd’s breakfast club was next door when Bindi and I returned from our walk. This year’s fawns are teenagers now. Not a spot to be seen. 

I will check back in later, off to an early class at the gym.

@dfishI thought of you, when I saw this. You might need to employ this exercise routine, since selling & moving will be taking so much of your time. Congratulations on your house sale, Debbie!

929C9DD0-AD86-46AB-9801-3252652E5D69.jpeg.1623ef0407248990598f167e1353af5f.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Castle Rock Pinot Noir 2019

This vintage seems to have higher ratings from both consumers and critics, and appears to be a bit harder to find.  I found it online for prices starting at $13.75.

Winemaker Notes

Castle Rock Pinot Noir was produced from grapes grown in Monterey County where the climate and soil quality provide excellent growing conditions for the this varietal. Here, the cooling air from Monterey Bay helps to produce a longer growing season for the grapes, with extra grape-time on the vines leading to a characteristic depth of flavor in the wine. This Pinot Noir is elegant and medium-bodied, offering aromas of cherry, tea and herbal spice. On the palate, the wine gives flavors of black cherry, plum, and spice. It is smooth with a silky texture and mild tannins. 

This versatile wine pairs well with lamb, chicken, veal, salmon, and light pasta dishes.

Critical Acclaim

WE90
Wine Enthusiast
There's a hefty amount of raw meat funk on the nose of this bottling, which also exhibits aromas of baked cherry, star anise and cardamom. Toasted oak flavors lead the palate through the roasted cherry, dried meat and hickory spice flavors.
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 2

Good morning friends!  I got up very early today so I could watch the Queen's funeral.  I began watching right when the heads of state filed into Westminster Hall.  I recorded earlier events and will watch them later.  My sympathy to Graham and Pauline @grapau27and @Paw13as they sadly watch their Queen being laid to rest.

Thanks for the day to celebrate today Rich @richwmn.  I like butterscotch pudding, watching people dance (but not me), and talking like a pirate.  Arrrrgggghhhh!  

I appreciate the food and beverage department for their work each day.  Thanks to you Roy @rafinmdfor the lists this morning.  Prayers for all and cheers to those celebrating.

Isafjordur, Iceland is a very nice port to visit.  We last had Isafjordur as our destination on May 6, 2021.  Here is a link to retrieve your photos.

My first stop there was in 2015 on the Caribbean Princess on a London to Norway to Iceland to New York Transatlantic cruise.  During that port stop I took a tour that went out into the countryside so I may be able to show some photos from those two villages as well.  Our second visit to Isafjordur was this past June before Covid hit us on Island Princess. Here's a cute photo I took June 6, 2022 of two little girls holding their pet chickens, sitting on the sod roof of their garage.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJYqzRME184wnlDzOVCoFSdqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656960960

Isafjordur, Iceland (pop. 2748) was an interesting port of call, just like the rest of Iceland.  The word means ice fjord according to my research.  The following photos were taken in 2015.enhance

Being small it's an extremely walkable town.  DH and I took the walk around before I headed out on my tour.  enhance

A good place to stop on this morning was to the bakery to pick up a baked good to enjoy.enhance

A little marketing tool for the bakery was this classic vehicle parked outside the door with some advertising on the side.enhance

It would probably be hard to get lost here, unless you can't speak Icelandic (which I can't).enhance

A church and graveyard.enhance

A statue commemorating fishing.enhance

A building called the Culture House.enhance

We went inside and it was 3 stories tall and had a library and museum.  I took a photo of this description of the building history and usage. enhance

What appears to be local housing as we left the Culture House.enhance

We saw a little park entrance nearby so went to take a look.  Using whalebones as arched entrances is pretty common in these parts, though many of us can recall the whalebone archway in Stanley at the church along the shore as well.enhance

The sign says this is a Catholic church, and if so, it's one of the smallest ones I've ever seen.  enhance

Another bigger church.  With not a lot of activities for residents here maybe churches fill a void in the community for fellowship with others.enhance

I'm glad to see the Fire Department is well represented here.  enhance

That's all for the town of Isafjordur.  Next up are some photos from my afternoon tour of the Botanical Garden in Skrudur and a fishing village called Flateyri.  We took a bus to the Garden and along the way saw the typical topography and scenery of this part of Iceland.enhance

enhance

We had to pass through a tunnel in the mountain in order to get to where we were going (and back to the ship later).  The Botanical Garden was founded by a pastor at a boarding school nearby.  It's sometimes called the Botanical Garden in the Middle of Nowhere. It is the northernmost Botanical Garden in the World, beating out Akureyri, Iceland's garden.

As seen from the road and then from the parking area.  We had to walk the remainder of the distance.enhance

enhance

enhance

I'd say this is the vegetable garden section, wouldn't you?enhance

A water feature.enhance

enhance

enhance

The garden displays were simple but it was nice to get out into the countryside to see flora and fauna.  Being mid September most of the flowers were gone unfortunately.

Another whalebone arch.enhance

Maybe the gardening tools are kept here.

enhance

I think I'll start a new post for the fishing village.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 10

Banana Nana Daiquiri:

Ingredients
3 parts Cruzan® Aged Dark Rum
1 part DeKuyper® Creme de Banana Liqueur
1/2 part Pineapple Juice
1 freshly sliced Banana
Pinch of Sugar

Instructions
Combine ingredients in a large blender with ice. Add a pinch of sugar to taste.

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 7.56.51 AM.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 10

Leaving the Garden behind we traveled on our bus to Flateryi, the 200 year old fishing village which was partially destroyed by a landslide in 1995.  

A nice church we saw along our route.enhance

Charming vistas everywhere, though notice the number of trees you've seen.  Few to none!enhance

I thought this was interesting, the shades of green on that mountain.enhance

Upon arrival in tiny Flateryi, we went inside this church to listen to a musical performance put on for us.enhance

Seated inside we could see how well maintained the villagers kept their charming church.enhance

enhance

We were treated to an Icelandic musical program by this lovely young lady.enhance

From the church we walked down the street to look in the shops and enjoy a tea set up for us in an art workshop.  Here are some of the fishing boats at the nearby shoreline.enhance

A picture of the local goodies served with our tea.enhance

This is a photo of the town before the 1995 landslide.  This photo was inside the art workshop.

enhance

And here is the area where the landslide occurred.enhance

Next we went in an old bookstore which was turned into a museum.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Heading back to our bus for the ride back to Isafjordur.enhance

Our ship off in the distance as we neared Isafjordur.enhance

About 5 hours later we were called up on deck to see some of the Northern Lights.  I got a few faint pictures of the greenish streaks.enhance

enhance

enhance

That is all for today.  I hope you liked this glimpse into Isafjordur.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 11

704878B6-649D-4921-AD2C-BBF5FD93BDD5.thumb.jpeg.9f83a9684e118262e244d584be179a5f.jpeg

In honor of talk like a pirate day,  I would like to recommend one of my favorite series, Black Sails, where you can hear actually pirates talk.  It combines historical  events mixed with fictional characters from Robert Lewis Stevenson’s Treasure Island.  I love that it includes female lead characters; the costumes and the settings are realistic.  It is available on many streaming services.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's fleet reports and Daily Rich.

It is currently 11.54am and Her Majesty the Queen's funeral is currently taking place at Westminster Abbey.

It is terribly sad and moving.

We have been watching TV coverage since 6am and Pauline is crying all of the time.

Prayers for everyone who is unwell or mourning a loved one.

Graham.

Graham & Pauline, thinking of you two. Hugs for both of you. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends!  I got up very early today so I could watch the Queen's funeral.  I began watching right when the heads of state filed into Westminster Hall.  I recorded earlier events and will watch them later.  My sympathy to Graham and Pauline @grapau27and @Paw13as they sadly watch their Queen being laid to rest.

Thanks for the day to celebrate today Rich @richwmn.  I like butterscotch pudding, watching people dance (but not me), and talking like a pirate.  Arrrrgggghhhh!  

I appreciate the food and beverage department for their work each day.  Thanks to you Roy @rafinmdfor the lists this morning.  Prayers for all and cheers to those celebrating.

Isafjordur, Iceland is a very nice port to visit.  We last had Isafjordur as our destination on May 6, 2021.  Here is a link to retrieve your photos.

My first stop there was in 2015 on the Caribbean Princess on a London to Norway to Iceland to New York Transatlantic cruise.  During that port stop I took a tour that went out into the countryside so I may be able to show some photos from those two villages as well.  Our second visit to Isafjordur was this past June before Covid hit us on Island Princess. Here's a cute photo I took June 6, 2022 of two little girls holding their pet chickens, sitting on the sod roof of their garage.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJYqzRME184wnlDzOVCoFSdqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656960960

Isafjordur, Iceland (pop. 2748) was an interesting port of call, just like the rest of Iceland.  The word means ice fjord according to my research.  The following photos were taken in 2015.enhance

Being small it's an extremely walkable town.  DH and I took the walk around before I headed out on my tour.  enhance

A good place to stop on this morning was to the bakery to pick up a baked good to enjoy.enhance

A little marketing tool for the bakery was this classic vehicle parked outside the door with some advertising on the side.enhance

It would probably be hard to get lost here, unless you can't speak Icelandic (which I can't).enhance

A church and graveyard.enhance

A statue commemorating fishing.enhance

A building called the Culture House.enhance

We went inside and it was 3 stories tall and had a library and museum.  I took a photo of this description of the building history and usage. enhance

What appears to be local housing as we left the Culture House.enhance

We saw a little park entrance nearby so went to take a look.  Using whalebones as arched entrances is pretty common in these parts, though many of us can recall the whalebone archway in Stanley at the church along the shore as well.enhance

The sign says this is a Catholic church, and if so, it's one of the smallest ones I've ever seen.  enhance

Another bigger church.  With not a lot of activities for residents here maybe churches fill a void in the community for fellowship with others.enhance

I'm glad to see the Fire Department is well represented here.  enhance

That's all for the town of Isafjordur.  Next up are some photos from my afternoon tour of the Botanical Garden in Skrudur and a fishing village called Flateyri.  We took a bus to the Garden and along the way saw the typical topography and scenery of this part of Iceland.enhance

enhance

We had to pass through a tunnel in the mountain in order to get to where we were going (and back to the ship later).  The Botanical Garden was founded by a pastor at a boarding school nearby.  It's sometimes called the Botanical Garden in the Middle of Nowhere. It is the northernmost Botanical Garden in the World, beating out Akureyri, Iceland's garden.

As seen from the road and then from the parking area.  We had to walk the remainder of the distance.enhance

enhance

enhance

I'd say this is the vegetable garden section, wouldn't you?enhance

A water feature.enhance

enhance

enhance

The garden displays were simple but it was nice to get out into the countryside to see flora and fauna.  Being mid September most of the flowers were gone unfortunately.

Another whalebone arch.enhance

Maybe the gardening tools are kept here.

enhance

I think I'll start a new post for the fishing village.

Thank you for your very kind words Sandi.

Amazing photos.

Love from Pauline x and I.

Graham x

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Up early watching the queen's funeral. It’s a very sad day for England and the world. 
Today marks 63 years ago that Sam and I were married. We actually eloped on the 19th and we’re remarried by a rabbi on the 20th so we celebrate both days.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for our Monday Daily, Rich.

Interesting collection of days.  Like many, I am caught up watching the funeral and procession and saddened by the final farewell to Her Majesty.  However, in honour of talk like a Pirate Day:

612F8526-C68D-4BAB-9F62-BD433569D9FD.jpeg.17b875a0d7e0d37ad2fce87bcded3631.jpeg

I love the quote by Alborn - so very true.

I confess I’m confused @dfish  If the seller accepted your offer with contingencies and all conditions have been met - how can he ask for more?  things must be different South of the border than here.

It’s a holiday here - a National Day of Mourning - for some provinces and some businesses and Federal employees.  thankfully the auto dealers are open so as long as my parts arrive today, I will hopefully not be without wheels by tonight. 🤞

It’s raining again and will be for a few days.  No work outside so it’s either clean or cruise planning - guess which wins? 😉 I think I will start prepping the Meet & Greet invites.  (A tad behind with life and the fear that somehow this cruise would not happen (again) ).  There’s a talk depending on the trough of Atlantic Canada being affected by Hurricane Fiona - hope not. 😱 

The talk about cat breakfasts yesterday made me want to post this one today for the dog lovers out there:

95D59F7D-5E7D-48FA-A3C7-C9EB74D1B21C.jpeg.6157c94a81be51ec44e35bdeb8ed27bc.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & those that need them, the Queen, her family and all who grieve her and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a good Monday all.

EC98FF3B-3F48-4DE7-AE3C-EBB56ECB9452.jpeg.4b46815b6e39ca9e784cdc154f6834e8.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your 😷 when / where needed.

• Like 37