No Bermuda!! Celebrity Silhouette 20/10/22 Southampton to Miami

philsuarez

On 9/20/2022 at 12:22 PM, philsuarez said:

Celebrity should offer some compensation as Bermuda will be the main reason most have booked this trip!

If visiting Bermuda is that important, they should fly directly to Bermuda, or take one of the summer Summit cruises directly to Bermuda that stays there for a couple of days.  

Even without the testing requirement, Bermuda is not a certainty.  The crossing will be during hurricane season, which means flexibility is needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adolfo2 said:

Count your blessings... Bermuda is highly overrated.

To each their own opinion and you are entitled to it but many find Bermuda to be highly desirable and beautiful and so do many others. Are you really a travel agent? You sound more like someone on a vendetta. 

Edited by Charles4515

22 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

To each their own opinion and you are entitled to it but many find Bermuda to be highly desirable and beautiful and so do many others. Are you really a travel agent? You sound more like someone on a vendetta. 

Bermuda is Nice & Beautiful BUT after having been there on several occasions it's "Played Out" in my book and not worth the bureaucratic hassle, C19 testing risk/cost, & per-person TA expense (in addition to the already exorbitant port fees) for what is essentially six-hours ashore in late Fall 😞

Yes, I'm an agent, but I call it as I see it and would advise a client to skip Bermuda at this time.

We were on the westbound Transatlantic as the final leg of abb2b2b which called at Bermuda. We (and the ship's executive) only found out about the Bermuda requirements midway through the second cruise. We were threatened (they said advised) that, if we failed to obtain the Bermuda Travel Authority within 96 hours we would be put off the ship in Fort Lauderdale and denied boarding for the last leg of the cruise. We were also informed  that our Covid Recovery Certificates would not be valid and we would have to test on the penultimate day of the preceding leg and would have to leave the ship if we tested positive (despite what was on the website at that time and  having been given written assurances by the guest relations manager that no testing would be required). Needless to say it was a very stressful 96 hours and I think that, in view of the draconian attitude taken by Bermuda at that time, whereby all passengers had to test and all passengers had to obtain the travel authorisation (an exemption for remaining onboard as a transit passenger was not an option), it is fitting that the port is dropped and Bermuda is denied the revenue it would have received. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/20/2022 at 8:10 PM, philsuarez said:

Like I said winners and losers. The cancellation notification seems to have been very sporadic. My actual own TA is on the cruise and she didn't know. We obviously view Lisbon like many view Bermuda. 

Find a better travel agent. 

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

With all of the storms around the atlantic now, who knows where any Oct- perhaps even Nov cruises really will sail to.  Not the best time of year to go on a cruise.

I suppose if one has their heart set on a specific destination, then it may not be best time.  I cruise as much for the ship as I do the ports, been to many already as land vacations.  My upcoming TA dropped Bermuda, not because of any potential storm but because of their testing requirements.  Suits me just fine as I'd of stayed on board in Bermuda anyway.  As far as storms/rough seas, I love it.

• Like 3

On 9/20/2022 at 4:00 PM, philsuarez said:

I think you need to appreciate that we don't always get the same news here in the UK. Many people on the Facebook group for this cruise also had no notification. 

Wait. there'a a Facebook group?! I need to join it! Also, while I did get the notification of the change in itinerary (my post was quoted above), I did not see today's email about the requirement for proctored COVID tests - it went into my junk folder. Luckily, DH did see it and we have made plans. Perhaps your group were victims of unlucky spam folder placement.

I too am not particularly fussed about Bermuda, BUT Lisbon, really...!?!?  That place is really dull.  This was one of the only more southerly crossings where we hoped for some better weather (as we have always found).  Now heading across from Madeira is not a good omen.  Why on earth could they not have found a better port, Caribbean side, for us to go into instead.  I do not believe that they were all full.  No doubt more penny pinching by Celebrity so they could go across the Atlantic at minimal speed, yet again.  And we are supposed to be grateful for 11 days at sea now?  They really have to stop treating their guests with such indifference.

Too bad X could not have added Charleston or another port but the change was due to  the rules that Bermuda has in place...extra fee, extra testing. Bermuda has that right but X has an obligation to do what it deems best for its customers.

Hope friend's  still enjoy the cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hcat said:

Too bad X could not have added Charleston or another port but the change was due to  the rules that Bermuda has in place...extra fee, extra testing. Bermuda has that right but X has an obligation to do what it deems best for its customers.

Charleston would’ve been amazing, fabulous place! Those of us living in the UK would particularly have enjoyed a port either Stateside or in the Caribbean. Lisbon is a beautiful city but not what we’d hoped for. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

I too am not particularly fussed about Bermuda, BUT Lisbon, really...!?!?  That place is really dull.  This was one of the only more southerly crossings where we hoped for some better weather (as we have always found).  Now heading across from Madeira is not a good omen.  Why on earth could they not have found a better port, Caribbean side, for us to go into instead.  I do not believe that they were all full.  No doubt more penny pinching by Celebrity so they could go across the Atlantic at minimal speed, yet again.  And we are supposed to be grateful for 11 days at sea now?  They really have to stop treating their guests with such indifference.

Transatlantic cruises are usually great bargains for cruise passengers so ironic that you accuse Celebrity of penny pinching.

Funny I have always wanted to visit Lisbon!  But I will take your word for it. Charleston is a great port, visited it twice on cruises but the city does not really want more cruise calls. Below is from an article this summer. 

"Charleston officials are applauding the state’s decision, citing a large number of cruise departures throughout the year. In addition to limiting cruise departures, the South Carolina Ports Authority is limiting ships to no more than 104 visits per year and no ship can hold more than 3,500 passengers. Charleston’s mayor says eliminating these departures will allow the city to redevelop the Union Pier Terminal and open up more opportunities for city growth and vitality." 

Edited by Charles4515

5 hours ago, Sussex Cruiser said:

and I'm betting for everyone not wanting to go to "dull" Lisbon, as many are just as happy to not be going to Bermuda, file under it is what it is and ya know, can't please all of the people all of the time...

23 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

and I'm betting for everyone not wanting to go to "dull" Lisbon, as many are just as happy to not be going to Bermuda, file under it is what it is and ya know, can't please all of the people all of the time...

I am wondering if they think Lisbon is dull because they have been there a lot because it is close. I kind of think I would not find it dull. Maybe some of you on your sailling can report back on the extent of its dullness.

Too late but Bermuda is dropping testing starting October 25............

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I am wondering if they think Lisbon is dull because they have been there a lot because it is close. I kind of think I would not find it dull. Maybe some of you on your sailling can report back on the extent of its dullness.

Pretty amazing that they just made that change...they missed out on all the Celebrity T/As that dropped it as a port of call because of the testing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

They still require the $40 and testing pre cruise. Just not testing mid voyage. Any person who is not vaccinated must show proof of health insurance and cannot get off the ship

39 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

They still require the $40 and testing pre cruise. Just not testing mid voyage. Any person who is not vaccinated must show proof of health insurance and cannot get off the ship

As of October 25 they will no longer require pre cruise testing.  As for the $40 no decision yet. Stay tuned.

https://www.royalgazette.com/health/news/article/20220929/ta-form-to-be-phased-out-but-no-decision-on-fee/

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 6:55 AM, hcat said:

I don’t think a west bound transatlantic ever stops at a US port other than their destination.