Crew masks 😷

44 minutes ago, little britain said:

Crew not wearing masks on Wonder. Is this fleetwide as they were wearing them still on Anthem 2 weeks ago ?

Awesome, and way overdue...unfortunately, they were wearing them on Symphony last week.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, little britain said:

Crew not wearing masks on Wonder. Is this fleetwide as they were wearing them still on Anthem 2 weeks ago ?

Crew on Symphony told me there are currently 5 ships where masks are optional for crew.  It looks like they will phase that to all over time.

• Like 3

Not all crew members are happy to give up their masks!  

We had a great bartender on the Harmony who told us he hopes they let masks be optional for them because they are exposed to so many people each week so he was more comfortable wearing his for awhile.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

We had a great bartender on the Harmony who told us he hopes they let masks be optional for them because they are exposed to so many people each week so he was more comfortable wearing his for awhile.

I would hope that the Captains, or whoever is given the power to establish a policy on masks, allows crew members to make their own choices on masking or not masking moving forward.  I have lived in places where many wore masks on a regular basis and it never bothered me; why would I worry about what someone else does now?  Mandates and overreach are real but someone deciding to keep masking is none of my business.

Edited by TexasRon
  • Like 11

34 minutes ago, TexasRon said:

I would hope that the Captains, or whoever is given the power to establish a policy on masks, allows crew members to make their own choices on masking or not masking moving forward.  I have lived in places where many wore masks on a regular basis and it never bothered me; why would I worry about what someone else does now?  Mandates and overreach are real but someone deciding to keep masking is none of my business.

Exactly!

Also, even pre-COVID, masking was optional.  Pre-COVID, never once went up to a person wearing a mask and demanded that they take it off.  They wear their masks for THEIR OWN reasons and it's none of my business.  The same holds true today.  I don't care if the crew or anybody else wears a mask on or off a ship, anywhere.  It's their decision.  I just hope Royal goes back to Pre-COVID rules, "Masks Optional" for everyone.  I really like the smiling faces of the crew especially while serving me, I can see their attitude (usually).

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, GTO-Girl said:

That is exactly what we heard from several crew on the Voyager

• Like 1

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Still wearing them on Anthem. I asked our cabin steward about it and said it is mandatory for them while they're working and in contact with guests but that they can take them off in crew quarters.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, little britain said:

I was on Wonder last week and saw 50% or more of MDR staff and stateroom attendants still wearing them. For others like bartenders and retail shops staff, not so much. As others have said, they should be able to mask and protect themselves if they choose to.

Last 3 weeks on Allure and they still had to wear them. It would be nice if they had a choice, but I can see where the Captain/Royal is coming from. They are short staffed enough let alone more crew come down with covid.

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, TexasRon said:

It's not matter of personal choice. It is a business. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Last 3 weeks on Allure and they still had to wear them. It would be nice if they had a choice, but I can see where the Captain/Royal is coming from. They are short staffed enough let alone more crew come down with covid.

The issue isn't covid itself, but still the overly strict protocols crew have to follow if they test positive.

Some probably fear some retribution if they get covid without a mask, regardless of what the individual crew member actually thinks of mask effectiveness.

That said I would imagine most crew have gotten covid at one point or another anyway.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bucfan2 said:

For sure.  They are not offered the luxury of making their own choices....pretty sad.

The reasoning could depend on info we are not necessarily privy to. If a crew member who tests positive has to be relieved of duties I can understand why RCI would do what it can to try to prevent that from happening. How many complaints have we read about the ships being short staffed? Now, whether or not the masks are effective is a discussion I will not get into.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The reasoning could depend on info we are not necessarily privy to. If a crew member who tests positive has to be relieved of duties I can understand why RCI would do what it can to try to prevent that from happening. How many complaints have we read about the ships being short staffed? Now, whether or not the masks are effective is a discussion I will not get into.

Thanks, as I appreciate differences in opinion.  It's all window dressing to me.  And concur on the mask discussion - what used to be 'protect others' has flamed out, so now it to 'protect themselves'.  Everything is upside-down.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, bucfan2 said:

Thanks, as I appreciate differences in opinion.  It's all window dressing to me.  And concur on the mask discussion - what used to be 'protect others' has flamed out, so now it to 'protect themselves'.  Everything is upside-down.

🙊