Sea Dog Conducts: Symphony No. 1: Food Fantastique with the UDP “As if Live”

Sea Dog

Even though you are writing this from home, I feel like you are just now getting off the ship. Great, great review. One of the best and most unique reviews that I’ve read here, and I’ve read a lot. 

I tried 2 new drinks last night based on your review. I had a New Fashioned in the Schooner Bar. I really liked it and will absolutely have more.  I tried a tequila old fashioned at Music Hall with Patron Anejo. I’m not a tequila drinker and it took a few sips to grow on me. Similar to when I tried a rum old fashioned, I think the taste difference compared to bourbon threw me off a bit. I’ll be giving a tequila old fashioned another try as well. What else should I try?

• Like 5

Food Conclusion

The food was outstanding,  rich and plenty of it. By the end of the cruise Linda and I were popping Imodium AD pills like they were candy. You can’t go on a diet for 7 months losing 60 pounds by eating healthy small portions and then transition  to huge gastronomical feasts and not expect your body to rebel.

I gained 12 pounds on this sailing. I am confident I will lose it again. 

Do I recommend the UDP? I think it depends on the ship. On big Oasis class ships with lot's of restaurants it can be a very good value. Also, if the price is good by all means book it. If the price goes down you can always cancel and rebook. Would I book it again? Probably but I am going to wait awhile. It is so much food, almost too much. I don't see how some people can eat at several restaurants per night. Some will have snacks at one and a main dinner at another. Hats off to them. I couldn't do it. I left every meal completely satisfied and full. I've never eaten so good in 7 straight days in my life. It was a joy but I'll be glad to get back to smaller portions and my Keto diet for some time. On our next cruise in a couple of weeks we are changing it up and just eating in the MDR and possibly the Windjammer. We did reserve the Chef's table for our anniversary. We love the Chef's table. Until then it's back to elliptical and salads.

1288200376_NewlevelCAEmerald.thumb.jpg.ed20a8bfa79ce5f185bf69e80b1b48a7.jpg

We are now Emerald thanks to the double points promotion.

Until next time I’ll dream of Beethoven’s 5th Symphony running through my head and imagining me on the top deck of my Symphony gazing off into the stars.

1481860753_StaryNight.thumb.jpeg.288d263cba0bcb847c96a9e0dcf24fa1.jpeg

Peace be with you. I'll be around to answer your questions.

• Like 26
  • Thanks 6

I  have to say we missed a lot on this cruise. Thank you for doing the review. Now when we return there are other places I will make sure we hit up. We were getting our toes wet into cruising again after 2 years.  I have to say, the solarium was very hot, but the food was not over all in the eateries. We did notice that quick a bit. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Nailed it!

You know me well.

13 minutes ago, cruisingpeople said:

Excellent review. We leave in 4 weeks for the same cruise on the Symphony except our itinerary is in the opposite order. We don't have the Dining Package, but will try to go to some of the venues you were at. We are also booked at the Beach Club on CocoCay. It will be our 2nd time there. I do like your idea of possibly getting a group together for one of the "over the water cabanas" on the Bella Cruise. With enough people, I think it would be worth the price.

With about 50 we may need two or three. If someone wanted to front the cash I'm sure we could all split our portion and use paypal to put in our part.

12 minutes ago, George C said:

Excellent review had fun reading it. 

Thank you so much George.

6 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Even though you are writing this from home, I feel like you are just now getting off the ship. Great, great review. One of the best and most unique reviews that I’ve read here, and I’ve read a lot. 

I tried 2 new drinks last night based on your review. I had a New Fashioned in the Schooner Bar. I really liked it and will absolutely have more.  I tried a tequila old fashioned at Music Hall with Patron Anejo. I’m not a tequila drinker and it took a few sips to grow on me. Similar to when I tried a rum old fashioned, I think the taste difference compared to bourbon threw me off a bit. I’ll be giving a tequila old fashioned another try as well. What else should I try?

Thank you Bob. I tried hard to give it that "Live" feel even though it was a "As If" As you could tell I need to organize, write and edit and it's easier to do it after I get home. I wrote a lot of on the ship but organized my thoughts better at home and put it in the proper order.

I think I will always prefer Bourbon Old Fashioned's to Rum or Tequila Old Fashioned's but it fun to try different stuff. I did not try all the different Collins drinks in the Schooner Bar. The Pierre Collins was good as well as the Rye-n-Rol. Lavender Daiquiri was also very good. And a good Brandy Alexander is always a good nightcap.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cruisegal40 said:

I have to say, the solarium was very hot, but the food was not over all in the eateries. We did notice that quick a bit. 

We hung out in the cool water pool on the second level of the Solarium in front of the bar. You walk down into it. It was very nice and you did not feel hot. Just laying on a daybed or lounger in the Solarium gets too hot.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

1) Central Park 150 The total package

2) Close tie between Chops and Jamie's. Linda felt Chops at Number 2

3) Wonderland Great gastronomical experience

4) Playmakers Incredible burgers and oh that Camp Fire Brownie.

5) Izumi Great Sushi but I can get great sushi in my home town as well.

6) Hooked I would have ranked it higher but the Lobster Mac-n-Cheese was a huge downer.

7) Hibachi only because it's about the show not the food.

I'm stuffed.

Thanks for taking the time to share the adventure Greg.   Your review and ranking has helped us make some final decisions for our upcoming  cruise with the UDP.  

We have tried all that you went to except CP 150 and the Habachi.  CP 150 is now on the schedule!  We were considering the Habachi but will be taking it off.  We are more about the food, not the show. 

I really like the angles of the pics you shared.   Where did you learn that?  🤔 😆 I bet that will be a talent you will never lose.  Thanks again. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks for taking the time to share the adventure Greg.   Your review and ranking has helped us make some final decisions for our upcoming  cruise with the UDP.  

We have tried all that you went to except CP 150 and the Habachi.  CP 150 is now on the schedule!  We were considering the Habachi but will be taking it off.  We are more about the food, not the show. 

I really like the angles of the pics you shared.   Where did you learn that?  🤔 😆 I bet that will be a talent you will never lose.  Thanks again. 

Thanks John, I think you will love CP150 as much as we did. Hibachi is good but you can do that on land any time.

As far as my pics I guess it's not so much talent as it is 40 years being a professional photographer/videographer.

Thanks again for your support. It means a lot to me,

• Like 3

Wonderful review Greg.  It’s apparent you put a lot of thought and effort into it.  
Your photos and comments had me taking a look at the Beach Club for Coco Cay on our upcoming Voyager cruise but unfortunately it’s showing as sold out.  I’ll check when we’re onboard in case there are any cancellations.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write such an excellent review.

28 minutes ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Thanks for taking the time to share the adventure Greg.   

4 minutes ago, Momof3gurlz said:

Wonderful review Greg.  It’s apparent you put a lot of thought and effort into it.

+ 4 👍🙏

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

I sort of forgot that he was already home.

• Like 7

Thanks for your great review, Greg.  I really enjoyed it.

Twelve pounds doesn’t sound too bad, considering all the food and drink from those packages.  Heck, I probably gained at least four, just looking at all the food and drink pictures. 🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

What a magnificent review. We don't cruise until next year but my husband has already put many of those drinks in his phone's memo's! He always gets the package but doesn't stray too far from what he already drinks. This review has given him so many things he wants to try. Sometimes you just don't know what to ask for. I too forgot this wasn't live and am sad that it's over! Thank you!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Thanks for your great review, Greg.  I really enjoyed it.

Twelve pounds doesn’t sound too bad, considering all the food and drink from those packages.  Heck, I probably gained at least four, just looking at all the food and drink pictures. 🤣🤣

I've already lost seven. Got a ways to go still.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, BonTexasNY said:

Greg, spectacular review!  I too thought you are now getting off the ship. Will you do a review of your upcoming Liberty cruise?  

As far as the cabanas, isn't there a limit to how many can rent one?

I'm going to probably take this one off and focus on just having a good time even though I enjoy very much the writing, and taking pictures of my reviews. I think my wife will enjoy having a dinner partner who she can talk to and is not busy making food notes and taking pictures of food.

I probably will post pics and what I'm doing periodically on Dan's thread and be available for anyone's question. Hoping to do a big group thread on the Bella Cruise coming this March.

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 10/1/2022 at 9:44 PM, Sea Dog said:

Why fly when you can Bar Hop?

IMG_9120.thumb.jpeg.50a5a3a51665039891d5ebbdf3f04114.jpeg

Had some time before bed to see what was going on around the ship in the Pub. It wasn't really crowded all week  even with a great singer/guitar player playing. Most other ships the Pub is jamming all night long.

IMG_9121.thumb.jpeg.97b55f7a949877fd1168b3ea731da52e.jpeg

Romona my sweet bartender took good care of me all week. She knew I was a bourbon snob and loved talking bourbon with me.

1147550261_IMG_9123(1).thumb.jpeg.ca8f65874454b010345aa9d1eaef3c2c.jpeg

Is this what you call "A Fistful of Dollars"?????

Now up to see Donald in the Schooner Bar. He had a surprise for me. I don't know when and how he got these two bottles but suddenly he presented them for me to try.

IMG_9129.thumb.jpeg.0cc3efbdb825daa346f044750375cc2e.jpeg

First the Macallan Terra. A Single Malt Scotch Whiskey. A complex, yet balanced single malt, with a distinctive character of toffee, sweet dried fruit and rich wood spices. This was one nice scotch. I could not believe my drink package covered it as it sells for $174 a bottle on average. The other bottle I'll try tomorrow on our last night. It's not covered under the drink package. Details to come.

Goodnight.

Greg.

Your review and pictures are awesome and TBH I think this is the best live review I have ever read.

Many thanks.

Graham.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Greg.

Your review and pictures are awesome and TBH I think this is the best live review I have ever read.

Many thanks.

Graham.

Wow Graham thank you. That means so much to me. Unfortunately it wasn’t live but if you thought it was then  I achieved the goal of my “as if live” to feel like it was live.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1