The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 30th, 2022

richwmn

@MISTER 67 thank you for checking in.  I've taken the liberty of adding your "Lemonade" cruise to the celebration list.

@ottahand7 I think you made the right decision canceling your visit to Baltimore.  We seem to be calling for almost continuous rain all the way to Monday.

While it will be just a rainstorm when it gets to Maryland it has had an effect on me as well.  I had planned to get my Bivalent booster tomorrow through our Health Department.  When I registered I thought it a bit unusual that the site was a local park but they do remote clinics sometimes and it was only when I got the confirmation that I learned it was part of a fund raising walk.  Well, last night I got an email that the clinic was rescheduled for November 19, which I hope will be my last sea day on the Eurodam.  Other options for rescheduling with the Health Department were not attractive but made appointments first for October 18 at their headquarters, and then realized there was a clinic October 12 at a branch library that could have worked, still not what I was looking for.  I found out my usual pharmacy had walk-in access.  I revised my weekend to visit that store today and shift the one with covered access to tomorrow and headed off after lunch to the grocery store and pharmacy.  The pharmacy is usually pretty calm but it was very busy today but I did get the shot.  Neither I nor the guy giving the shot knew if the rush was due to the storm but I suspect it was.  So far no reaction.

A drizzle has started now.  Tomorrow I definitely plan to walk at our mall, and visit the grocery store with the covered access and maybe visit Panera if the rain/walking distance are not too bad.  I then must dash into my church if at all possible for a funeral, but after early Saturday afternoon may not leave the house again until Monday.  A pretty miserable weekend.

Roy

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MISTER 67 said:

Mister 67 checking in. First of all thank you for caring, you are really super people.

OK, we lost power Wednesday about 3PM when the northern wall of the eye came right on top of us, wind, noise  and rain like I’ve never seen or heard before but we hung in there with no damage to the condo. We then had lighter winds and then the southern wall passed over us and there was no comparison to the northern wall, it was brutal with a complete white out of rain and wind. Again the condo came through, my next door neighbor had a window broken from flying shingles from a next door condo.

We can’t live without power so we are 2 crazy people and were able to call Celebrity yesterday and we booked a cruise for Saturday. We drove over early this AM and are in a Marriott in Ft. Lauderdale, we had just enough gas to get us over here and filled up in Weston about 7 miles east of where Alligator Alley ends. Traffic going was very light but going west we saw convoy after convoy of National Guard, Police and Electric Company trucks heading over to Collier, Lee and Charlotte counties to help with the rebuild. 
We heard that the the whole electric grid in Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte was destroyed and has to be rebuilt so we have no idea when we will see power again, we might stay on the ship an extra week or head up to Raleigh where we have relatives. 
Thanks again to all for your caring thoughts.

Thank you so much for checking in.  Now we can breathe a sigh of relief knowing you are safe.  The cruise sounds like a wonderful idea.  Enjoy it and don't worry about things like electricity.  It will come on again.

• Like 15

DH and I have been following the news about the new ALS drug that was just approved.  It made us wonder if the new drug was one of the trials in which  @St. Louis Sal was enrolled.  It would be wonderful if one of our Dailyites had a part in helping other ALS patients.

Lenda

• Like 18

24 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@MISTER 67 thank you for checking in.  I've taken the liberty of adding your "Lemonade" cruise to the celebration list.

@ottahand7 I think you made the right decision canceling your visit to Baltimore.  We seem to be calling for almost continuous rain all the way to Monday.

While it will be just a rainstorm when it gets to Maryland it has had an effect on me as well.  I had planned to get my Bivalent booster tomorrow through our Health Department.  When I registered I thought it a bit unusual that the site was a local park but they do remote clinics sometimes and it was only when I got the confirmation that I learned it was part of a fund raising walk.  Well, last night I got an email that the clinic was rescheduled for November 19, which I hope will be my last sea day on the Eurodam.  Other options for rescheduling with the Health Department were not attractive but made appointments first for October 18 at their headquarters, and then realized there was a clinic October 12 at a branch library that could have worked, still not what I was looking for.  I found out my usual pharmacy had walk-in access.  I revised my weekend to visit that store today and shift the one with covered access to tomorrow and headed off after lunch to the grocery store and pharmacy.  The pharmacy is usually pretty calm but it was very busy today but I did get the shot.  Neither I nor the guy giving the shot knew if the rush was due to the storm but I suspect it was.  So far no reaction.

A drizzle has started now.  Tomorrow I definitely plan to walk at our mall, and visit the grocery store with the covered access and maybe visit Panera if the rain/walking distance are not too bad.  I then must dash into my church if at all possible for a funeral, but after early Saturday afternoon may not leave the house again until Monday.  A pretty miserable weekend.

Roy

Since when is a Fire Chief worried about rain and getting wet?😁

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

25 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

Roy, Glad to hear that you were able to get your booster today. We received our shiots on Monday and our arms still hurt until yesterday. Not sure what mall you are refering to but we use to live a few miles from the Lakeforest Mall. Stay dry!

- Jack

• Like 12

1 minute ago, Heartgrove said:

Roy, Glad to hear that you were able to get your booster today. We received our shiots on Monday and our arms still hurt until yesterday. Not sure what mall you are refering to but we use to live a few miles from the Lakeforest Mall. Stay dry!

- Jack

Mall in Columbia.

Roy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Well, last night I got an email that the clinic was rescheduled for November 19, which I hope will be my last sea day on the Eurodam.  Other options for rescheduling with the Health Department were not attractive but made appointments first for October 18 at their headquarters, and then realized there was a clinic October 12 at a branch library that could have worked, still not what I was looking for.  I found out my usual pharmacy had walk-in access. 

I was booked to get one yesterday at a pharmacy but didn't feel completely well, so I tried to reschedule it. The first date they would offer was October 29. Another pharmacy has appointments every day next week and I scheduled it there for a week from today.

homework.thumb.gif.761924b9a119753ea8e2f0c05f925b53.gif

• Like 14

@MISTER 67So glad to hear you came through the storm in pretty good shape, and will enjoy a cruise while the power is out.  I have a good friend in Punta Gorda and haven't heard from her since before the storm, but figured that with all the power outages her cell might be low on battery power.

Enjoy the cruise!

Laura

• Like 15

2 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

Mister 67 checking in. First of all thank you for caring, you are really super people.

OK, we lost power Wednesday about 3PM when the northern wall of the eye came right on top of us, wind, noise  and rain like I’ve never seen or heard before but we hung in there with no damage to the condo. We then had lighter winds and then the southern wall passed over us and there was no comparison to the northern wall, it was brutal with a complete white out of rain and wind. Again the condo came through, my next door neighbor had a window broken from flying shingles from a next door condo.

We can’t live without power so we are 2 crazy people and were able to call Celebrity yesterday and we booked a cruise for Saturday. We drove over early this AM and are in a Marriott in Ft. Lauderdale, we had just enough gas to get us over here and filled up in Weston about 7 miles east of where Alligator Alley ends. Traffic going was very light but going west we saw convoy after convoy of National Guard, Police and Electric Company trucks heading over to Collier, Lee and Charlotte counties to help with the rebuild. 
We heard that the the whole electric grid in Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte was destroyed and has to be rebuilt so we have no idea when we will see power again, we might stay on the ship an extra week or head up to Raleigh where we have relatives. 
Thanks again to all for your caring thoughts.

Thank you for checking in. So glad you are both safe. Enjoy that cruise. 

• Like 12

We put this cruise on a hold tonight. My niece's baby is due the end of November. She lives in San Diego,  so figured we will see baby and why not take a cruise? It was cancelled in 2020 due to the "C" word.. We get back from Caribbean on Jan 25th and have plenty of time to repack and go around the 12th of February to see the family. 

Koningsdam - 18-Feb-23 - 35 day Hawaii, Tahiti

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

@MISTER 67 So happy you posted! We were concerned about your safety. Have a wonderful cruise and hoping things will be well at home when you return. 

SSS

+1 🍾🪰Meant to add a cruise ship. ⛴️Hope your Celebrity cruise doesn't have flies. Can't delete that emoji. 🤪

Roy thanks for confirming that we figured right.  We will miss a great game.  Former weather guy Justin Berk has a great weather website and he had a good prediction. 

Glad you got your booster. I guess lack of interest here DF was able to walk in with me and get his with no appointment.  

Edited by ottahand7
  • Like 11

3 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

So happy to hear you reporting all is well with you and you are safe 👍 Can’t think of a better way to escape a power outage than a cruise 🙂 

Glad you are safe.  Thank you for letting us know 👍 

2 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

We originally had booked that Transatlantic but changed to the Oosterdam in November.

And, if I may be so bold, speaking on behalf of our teeny tiny roll call (pure sarcasm here - it’s huge 😉), we are glad you changed to Oosterdam 👍 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

As I said before, we had a non-event today.

We had some rain and wind but nothing to speak of.  We are grateful.  We sure did not need anything more than what we are dealing with right now, and certainly no more water!

We are just about packed and ready to go.

Tomorrow we will finish up a few last things and then leave on Sunday for Jacksonville.

Our flight to Miami is very early and then we will get the 10 something flight to Barbados arriving at 2:15 pm.

I cannot wait to have someone take care of me for two weeks and be able to celebrate our anniversary in style.

I hope everyone stayed safe today.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 18