If early dining is sold out at booking...

NJRonbo

Hey all!

Still looking at booking the Summit for June or July next year.

Already, on all the sailings we looked at, early dining is sold out.

So, okay, I can pick ANYTIME dining.  Problem solved, yes?

Well, actually is it?  Will I experience long lines for dinner if I arrive when the restaurant opens given the early dining spots are spoken for?

Are reserved early dining passengers given priority over anytime dining?  Or, are they located in separate areas of the dining room?

20 minutes ago, NJRonbo said:

Hey all!

Well, actually is it?  Will I experience long lines for dinner if I arrive when the restaurant opens given the early dining spots are spoken for?

Are reserved early dining passengers given priority over anytime dining?  Or, are they located in separate areas of the dining room?

The Summit MDR is on two decks aft; the anytime MDR is on Deck 4 and the fixed time MDR is on Deck 5. Early dining and anytime dining never competes for tables.

26 minutes ago, cocobakerchica said:

The Summit MDR is on two decks aft; the anytime MDR is on Deck 4 and the fixed time MDR is on Deck 5. Early dining and anytime dining never competes for tables.

That's great to know.  Seems like that will help alleviate any long lines between those that have early dining reservations and those that have anytime as their choice.

Feeling a little better about going with anytime dining.

• Like 1

Early Dining is usually 6pm but most who have this slot won't even go before 6:30pm.

I found that on Edge the waitstaff was pretty much overwhelmed and then decided to go for dinner very early pretty much as soon as the restaurant opened. No lines, in fact there were barely any people during my entire dinner.

If you have Anytime Dining and go during the core hours there will be lineups.

I'm a Celebrity newbie too. I booked my first X cruise in August for a January '23 sailing. All that was available for dining was the anytime or "Select" option. A couple of weeks ago, I was able to pre-book my dining time for each night of the cruise on the app. I've read elsewhere on CC that this will prevent lines, but if you don't pre-book, you might experience wait times of 45 minutes. 

1 hour ago, NJRonbo said:

Hey all!

We have had early dining unavailable when booked and been waitlisted but then after final payment we were confirmed for early.

2 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

Hey all!

Book anytime dining, then you can pre book for the specific time you want. Problem solved.

To pre book go into Cruise Planner. Then into Speciality Dining. Go to the bottom and you will find Select Dining. You can book for 1 night, every night or any other option you prefer. It's all free. You have to do each day separately which is a pain. If once on board you decide to miss a night please tell the Host as it helps them. If you like to share a table  ( we always do ) just tell the Host on check in.

• Like 2

Take anytime and make dinner reservations before you sail.  As soon as I book, I get online and reserve a table for 2 @ 6 pm.  Works for me.  We were on Summit in June. It was very crowded.  First night at MDR, there were 2 lines. One for people with reservations. It was short. Other for people without reservations.  It was very long. Some people were furious.  Since we had reserved, we were promptly taken to a table.  Reserve asap.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

Hey all!

Fixed  Early Dining and Late Dining  are in a different area than anytime dining so should have no impact.   Many book anytime then use the app to make reservations for your preferred early dining time for the entire cruise.     You can also stop by the Maitr  'd and see if he can get you into fixed time early dining.   

• Like 1

This has happened to us a number of times.  At embarkation there is a hw stationed at entrance to mdr to handle these kinds of issues.  He/she will be happy to take care of you.  If you're in Traditional it's not a bad idea to check out your table location as well and if unhappy ask to have it changed.  

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Take anytime and make dinner reservations before you sail.  As soon as I book, I get online and reserve a table for 2 @ 6 pm.  Works for me.  We were on Summit in June. It was very crowded.  First night at MDR, there were 2 lines. One for people with reservations. It was short. Other for people without reservations.  It was very long. Some people were furious.  Since we had reserved, we were promptly taken to a table.  Reserve asap.  

Please note you can't actually book a table for 2 using the system. You can only pre book a time and then, if it's the option you want, ask for a table for 2 with the Host immediately you board the ship. The Host will do their best to accommodate you but it is not actually part of the deal. We always ask the Host for a table for 6 sharing - again not part of the deal but ask nicely and the Host will usually be able to help. 

• Like 1

Give it a bit of time. We have booked a number of cruises where our first choice was not available, but it always became available usually well before the cruise date. Just make sure you are on the waitlist for the time you want.

6 hours ago, the penguins said:

Please note you can't actually book a table for 2 using the system. You can only pre book a time and then, if it's the option you want, ask for a table for 2 with the Host immediately you board the ship. The Host will do their best to accommodate you but it is not actually part of the deal. We always ask the Host for a table for 6 sharing - again not part of the deal but ask nicely and the Host will usually be able to help. 

I have reserved table for 2 on many cruises.  Just did it on Summit in June.  I am elite plus.  If you cannot reserve online, call captains club. Never had a problem getting a table reservation.  

15 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

Hey all!

Select anytime dining and then as soon as reservations open make reservations for specific times.  If you make reservations the wait time is minimal.  If you don't make reservations, it can be a long wait.

4 hours ago, Redtravel said:

I have reserved table for 2 on many cruises.  Just did it on Summit in June.  I am elite plus.  If you cannot reserve online, call captains club. Never had a problem getting a table reservation.  

We are also Elite+. All I was pointing out for the benefit of the original poster is that you can't reserve a table for 2, or any other size, using the online system. Equally you can't request a sharing table on line either which is why when checking in each night we give our cabin number followed by " table for 6 sharing please". You can see the Host on arrival and request a table but it is not guaranteed. If you were correct what would happen if everyone choosing say the 6.30 slot "booked" a table for 2? The answer is the restaurant would be less than half full which clearly wouldn't work. 

23 hours ago, NJRonbo said:

Hey all!

I want to add something, without being a Celeb cheerleader. Lines and waiting are a Covid “thing” on Celebrity. I was a given a beeper pre-Covid in Blu, IIRC. We barely had time to walk back to the Ensemble lounge and order a drink, maybe waited 10-15 minutes. I have stood in a line at the maitre d desk, maybe 4-5 couples ahead of me. I have rarely seen longer lines at the desk, during peak dining hours or lined up for opening. Never waited more than a few minutes, never a situation that couldn’t have been avoided by changing dining time by just a few minutes or making a reservation.

My point is, don’t sweat it too much. I’m not questioning what peopl have reported, there are big staff shortages right now, and many new staff. I think it’s very likely that the shortages are way worse on some ships and sailings than others. But current situation may not be the situation months from now when you sail. I actually think Select is a better choice for you, because you can tweak your arrival time as much as you want. After the first dinner, you can ask the staff when will be a good time to come, and book accordingly.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cangelmd said:

I want to add something, without being a Celeb cheerleader. Lines and waiting are a Covid “thing” on Celebrity. I was a given a beeper pre-Covid in Blu, IIRC. We barely had time to walk back to the Ensemble lounge and order a drink, maybe waited 10-15 minutes. I have stood in a line at the maitre d desk, maybe 4-5 couples ahead of me. I have rarely seen longer lines at the desk, during peak dining hours or lined up for opening. Never waited more than a few minutes, never a situation that couldn’t have been avoided by changing dining time by just a few minutes or making a reservation.

My point is, don’t sweat it too much. I’m not questioning what peopl have reported, there are big staff shortages right now, and many new staff. I think it’s very likely that the shortages are way worse on some ships and sailings than others. But current situation may not be the situation months from now when you sail. I actually think Select is a better choice for you, because you can tweak your arrival time as much as you want. After the first dinner, you can ask the staff when will be a good time to come, and book accordingly.

Blu is a totally different situation. It is only available to Aqua guests and you can't prebook a time.

Lines at Select/Anytime dining existed long before Covid. It's just like any restaurant if a lot of people turn up at the sametime you will have to wait.

For some waiting isn't an issue they just take the "bleeper" and head for a bar.

For others waiting may impact on other plans for example the theatre.

The answer is simple, if prefer not to wait simply pre book online. Once onboard booking is not an option. 

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Blu is a totally different situation. It is only available to Aqua guests and you can't prebook a time.

Lines at Select/Anytime dining existed long before Covid. It's just like any restaurant if a lot of people turn up at the sametime you will have to wait.

For some waiting isn't an issue they just take the "bleeper" and head for a bar.

For others waiting may impact on other plans for example the theatre.

The answer is simple, if prefer not to wait simply pre book online. Once onboard booking is not an option. 

Sorry, wasn’t clear, using Blu as an example of one of the few places onboard prior to Covid where I ever had to wait in line. Waiting has only become a very hard problem recently, and the waits may well improve as staffing improves. Always have to be aware of time if you particularly want to go to a show at a certain time.

You can book times in the dining room after you board, at least you can on Edge class, because we booked using the app on Apex, you could pick your time slot and restaurant. We were in MDR, not Blu, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you could do it in Blu?

17 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Sorry, wasn’t clear, using Blu as an example of one of the few places onboard prior to Covid where I ever had to wait in line. Waiting has only become a very hard problem recently, and the waits may well improve as staffing improves. Always have to be aware of time if you particularly want to go to a show at a certain time.

You can book times in the dining room after you board, at least you can on Edge class, because we booked using the app on Apex, you could pick your time slot and restaurant. We were in MDR, not Blu, but I wouldn’t be surprised if you could do it in Blu?

The original post was about Summit and as far as I know you can't book for Select Dining on any M or S Line ship once you are onboard. You certainly couldn't on Silhouette in May. Again Blu is different as I believe  you have your own assigned table and the only time you might have to wait is if too many passengers turn up at the sametime.