Internet Cafe, is it needed anymore?

sonomaphil

21 minutes ago, startedwithamouse said:

What is an answering machine?

Now you're just being snarky or under 50. It's a physical device developed in 1929 to record incoming phone calls when the receiving person was unavailable.  Replaced by wide use of voice mail [land & cell phones] in 1980sScreenshot_20221009-103838_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2ceba7fa0948fb19a535bd95294ab1a4.jpg

Edited by Ombud
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Now you're just being snarky or under 50. It's a physical device developed in 1929 to record incoming phone calls when the receiving person was unavailable.  Replaced by wide use of voice mail [land & cell phones] in 1980sScreenshot_20221009-103838_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2ceba7fa0948fb19a535bd95294ab1a4.jpg

That's crazy! Learn something new every day. So, they've been obsolete for a couple decades. 

Edited by startedwithamouse

33 minutes ago, Ombud said:

I meant combine IT & Medallion center not IT & Vines

I was merely making a joke that they shouldn't consider combining the Internet Cafe with a wine bar.  I have nothing against having Vines onboard, and frankly, I'm surprised that they have been eliminating Vines on newer builds.  I hope you can convince the powers that be to bring back Vines.  I just don't think taking away something one group of people depends on to cater to another segment's desires is the way to proceed.  I don't like the cheesy jewelry stores onboard, but I'm not suggesting closing them down and installing something else instead.  Obviously, some people enjoy the shops.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do think there are people who have a need to print something/use a desktop computer. 

However, what I don't understand is why is there BOTH an Internet Cafe and an Ocean Front....which one do you go to with questions about the internet? It seems like it would be either. Just off the Ruby and there is an Ocean Front on both 7 and 15 (15 is just a display case). We had some OBC to use so bought some Medallion accessories. We discussed them with the guy in Ocean Front (on 7), but "paid?" for them in the Photo Gallery. So, it seems those 4 things could be combined: Internet Cafe, Ocean Front on 7, Ocean Front on 15 and Photo Gallery. Perhaps optionally the Library also, depending on if the main purpose people use that for is to check out books? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EatonDoolittle said:

Why is everyone continuing to feed this Mouse troll?

He/She is clearly here to push buttons, and you all are letting him/her.

Ignore button...

image.jpeg.675760434bca86ee6f347fa7bdb40ae6.jpeg

🤣

Edited by Daniel A

I like the internet cafe, because it gives me an opportunity to scroll through future cruises. I think Princess has picked up a future cruise from me every time I've been on the ship because of the internet cafe.

Yes, I realize that between phones and laptops that I bring, I could easily dot hat myself. But there's something to be said for a nice chair, writing desk, and being able to jot a few notes in a relatively peaceful place.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

This is good to know, as I have always been able to download to Kindle on my iPad on the Celebrity wifi.

I agree.  I downloaded on another line, no problem.  I guess the idea is to load up the Kindle before boarding.

Personally I'd combine the Medallion Oceanfront, internet cafe, future cruise sales and the Captain's Circle desk into one area. The future cruise sales area has all but disappeared on the Royal class compared to the Grand class ships as did the Captain's Circle desk.   

• Like 2

Just now, sonomaphil said:

Personally I'd combine the Medallion Oceanfront, internet cafe, future cruise sales and the Captain's Circle desk into one area. The future cruise sales area has all but disappeared on the Royal class compared to the Grand class ships as did the Captain's Circle desk.   

As loyalty benefits disappear or become less important, the Captain's Circle host will be phased out and free up space for more jewelry stores  😁

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, sonomaphil said:

The future cruise sales area has all but disappeared on the Royal class compared to the Grand class ships as did the Captain's Circle desk.   

Some cruise lines devote more space to future sales that Princess ever has

89426009 04.26.13 Loyalty and Future Cruise Sales, deck 7 DSC03089.JPG

5 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

That's crazy! Learn something new every day. So, they've been obsolete for a couple decades. 

Replaced by this thing called Voice Mail on land line phones. Then sent over to cell phones.

6 hours ago, Kay S said:

As loyalty benefits disappear or become less important, the Captain's Circle host will be phased out and free up space for more jewelry stores  😁

That position has been renamed Loyalty and Events Mgr so they will always be needed just not as a Captains Circle Host 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, minnesotasisu said:

how much does it cost to use the Internet Cafe? We have a couple joining us that did not purchase any packages beyond the basic price but she still wants to check her email once per day.

The same as using your own device.  You have to purchase a MedallionNet plan.

Her best best is to pre-order MedallionNet using the Princess App because the lowest price is pre-cruise.  And it ought to be booked immediately as price goes up tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 9:00 AM, Sn0cruiser said:

I agree it should be repurposed.  Printers and help could be added to the photo shop area responsibilities to help those with problems or printing needs.  I also think the photo area could be reduced in size if it’s true that you can look at and order your photos on the medallion app now. 

On the Discovery, the photo area resides in a smaller area near the plaza... They do not print out pictures ahead of time, you have to view them on a computer. I had walked past it several times without noticing it, so I wonder if their sales are down due to lack of foot traffic. 

You can (theoretically) view the pictures on your mobile device, but the first time in you have to accept their terms. When I tried, this is what I got.... Granted most people never thoroughly read these things, but if you don't even give me an opportunity to do so, I'm gonna pass

Screenshot_20221112_105613_Princess.jpg

2 hours ago, OccasionalSanta said:

On the Discovery, the photo area resides in a smaller area near the plaza... They do not print out pictures ahead of time, you have to view them on a computer. I had walked past it several times without noticing it, so I wonder if their sales are down due to lack of foot traffic. 

You can (theoretically) view the pictures on your mobile device, but the first time in you have to accept their terms. When I tried, this is what I got.... Granted most people never thoroughly read these things, but if you don't even give me an opportunity to do so, I'm gonna pass

Screenshot_20221112_105613_Princess.jpg

It is nice to hear that they are cutting down the real estate allotted to Photo Dept.  Ridiculous huge on some ships like Regal.

We were on the Regal transatlantic and for the last three days of the cruise, there was no internet - there were repairs going on, or so we were told. On the last day of the cruise at around 4:00pm the internet was once again available and promptly crashed.  People trying to do their online check in rushed the Internet Café and it was backed up, the line went back past Vines, one man said he had been over an hour getting assistance.  Should they keep the Internet Café?  From the number of people I saw waiting to use it, Oh Hell Yes.

3 hours ago, Anubi said:

We were on the Regal transatlantic and for the last three days of the cruise, there was no internet - there were repairs going on, or so we were told. On the last day of the cruise at around 4:00pm the internet was once again available and promptly crashed.  People trying to do their online check in rushed the Internet Café and it was backed up, the line went back past Vines, one man said he had been over an hour getting assistance.  Should they keep the Internet Café?  From the number of people I saw waiting to use it, Oh Hell Yes.

Yes, not everyone has one of those "smart" devices.