$500 fines for Rowdy Behaviour

23 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

Honestly, I wouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater.  A few reports of bad behavior on a few of many, many, many cruises should demonstrate that these types of incidents are in the minority of experiences.  Like @jsglow and @christyran1228 and probably thousands of other people, I have never witnessed anything like this on a Carnival cruise.  Were there some annoying people?  Sure.  Are there annoying people at my local movie theater?  More often than on a cruise!

oh no, I'm in no way saying that this would sway me.  Honestly, I would just shrug it off.  It was just a funny first read

On 10/12/2022 at 10:13 AM, Homosassa said:

Your story is the same as mine in post 22 of this thread.

No way to call security; 911 was an invalid extension number, Guest Services didn't pick up.

Did Guest Services call you twice a day (AM-PM) for the rest of the trip to ask if there were any issues next door?

They did us and it was annoying .  

This is wrong, 911 works from the cabin. John Heald just confirmed this on his FB page.

6 hours ago, Enggrl said:

This is wrong, 911 works from the cabin. John Heald just confirmed this on his FB page.

"Works" is a term subject to interpretation. If the call goes through but no one ever answers Carnival may well claim it "works" (much like the number to Guest Services) but most would disagree. Likely varies by ship.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, icft said:

"Works" is a term subject to interpretation. If the call goes through but no one ever answers Carnival may well claim it "works" (much like the number to Guest Services) but most would disagree. Likely varies by ship.

Is that like if a "tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound?"?

Has anyone considered it works for John Heald's cabin, but no one elses?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, icft said:

Lots of people commented on his post saying it did work for them.

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Is that like if a "tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it make a sound?"?

Has anyone considered it works for John Heald's cabin, but no one elses?

Tons of people commenting on his post stated that it worked for them

5 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

"Tons" of people needed to call 911 from their cabins on Carnival and say it works?

Well, that is disheartening....

Well, most of the comments were from people that said they needed to call 911. Some were just complaints about fights etc, some were falls, some were serious medical emergencies. Obviously 911 works for most people. I have no idea why some say it didn’t work. 

I do always smell some mj while on a cruise, a few cigarettes being sneaked outside of allowed space, quite a few extroverts who seem to find it neccesary to drink their full 15 allowed limit on Cheers and to seem to want everyone else to know it, some arguments,etc, but nothing EVER that made me feel my life was in danger or anyone elses was either. Or anything so offensive that I felt something "Needed to Be Done." Maybe I've just been lucky. These stories on here sound terrifying though. Are they mostly on super short cruises?  We'll be moving next year to an area where we would be close enough to a couple of cruise ports to justify 3 or 4 day cruises, but wouldn't want to chance it if there is a good chance of being attacked as my husband and I are both elderly and my adult son is disabled. 

On 10/11/2022 at 6:58 PM, starstruck05 said:

You should read the terms and conditions of your cruise contact. From any cruise line. Shoot, read Southwest or Detla's t&c. Amazon's too. You'll be surprised. Amazon's actually says they're not responsible once your package leave the warehouse and they do not have to replace your order if you don't receive it. No one's reads contracts these days. Just agree. You agree to alot you have no idea about.

But you agreed!

10 hours ago, vicky3vicky said:

I do always smell some mj while on a cruise, a few cigarettes being sneaked outside of allowed space, quite a few extroverts who seem to find it neccesary to drink their full 15 allowed limit on Cheers and to seem to want everyone else to know it, some arguments,etc, but nothing EVER that made me feel my life was in danger or anyone elses was either. Or anything so offensive that I felt something "Needed to Be Done." Maybe I've just been lucky. These stories on here sound terrifying though. Are they mostly on super short cruises?  We'll be moving next year to an area where we would be close enough to a couple of cruise ports to justify 3 or 4 day cruises, but wouldn't want to chance it if there is a good chance of being attacked as my husband and I are both elderly and my adult son is disabled. 

In general, the 3 day cruises are the ones that you need to avoid because they are over the weekend and tend to have a higher percentage of people that choose to over indulge.  If you stumble across a 4 day version over a weekend, which would be rare, that would qualify as well.

The short weekend party cruise is not limited to just Carnival.  NCL, RCI, MSC would also have them.  If you had to do it, I would choose one on Celebrity, whose demographic is skewed older than the others.

A fun atmosphere is fine. But people using drugs and having loud get-togethers in the hotel corridors at 2AM is not something you should have to put up with no matter when you decide to cruise. The crew should be able to keep those behaviors in check.

• Like 4

On 10/7/2022 at 8:39 PM, lnm6170 said:

They ruined others vacation with no reguard for anyone else and what a example  people set for the kids . it should be 2000 dollars and made to stay in their room till the next port and have to find another way back

If it involves battery, it should include arrest.  

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 6:38 PM, Chaz212 said:

How can a private company fine anyone?

You give them that right when you agree to the ticket contract.

Under what authority?

Under the authority of the flag state, which is what law prevails onboard the ship, especially when not docked in a port (though in many cases it still has jurisdiction).  The Captain is given the authority to enforce flag state law onboard the ship.  And, again, the ticket contract says that by purchasing the cruise you agree to pay the fine if the Captain decides it is warranted.

What happens if you refuse to pay?

They can place an "innkeeper's lien" to keep your luggage until you pay.  They cannot stop you from disembarking, but you'll do so without your luggage.  Then they can go for a claim against you in court, based on the ticket contract.

On 10/11/2022 at 7:38 PM, Chaz212 said:

Ones persons rowdy, is another’s just having fun.

Except, again, the ticket contract gives the Captain the only opinion that matters.

On 10/11/2022 at 7:54 PM, Chaz212 said:

Then there is the problem of enforcing fairly with all groups of passengers.

Once again, it is the Captain's decision as to how fair he will be in enforcing.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

You give them that right when you agree to the ticket contract.

Under the authority of the flag state, which is what law prevails onboard the ship, especially when not docked in a port (though in many cases it still has jurisdiction).  The Captain is given the authority to enforce flag state law onboard the ship.  And, again, the ticket contract says that by purchasing the cruise you agree to pay the fine if the Captain decides it is warranted.

They can place an "innkeeper's lien" to keep your luggage until you pay.  They cannot stop you from disembarking, but you'll do so without your luggage.  Then they can go for a claim against you in court, based on the ticket contract.

Except, again, the ticket contract gives the Captain the only opinion that matters.

Once again, it is the Captain's decision as to how fair he will be in enforcing.

Well and concisely put chengkp75.