Sea Dog is Live with Life on Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness in the MDR. 10-16.

Sea Dog

7 hours ago, rudeney said:

I'm not much of a bourbon drinker.  I prefer Scotch, but I joined our neighborhood bourbon club mainly for the social aspect.  Each month we meet and have a theme.  One time it was "bourbon NOT from TN or KY" and someone brought that Balcones, and yes, everyone agreed it was horrible.  One that was surprisingly good that night was John Emerald's Purveyor's Double Oak Bourbon from Opelika, Alabama.

You should bring a bottle of Widow Jane to the next meeting. 
While the oak barrels are from the south, the product itself is from N Y. 

Tin Cup from Colorado is another one that I have been pleased with. 

A little more upscale from CO is also Stranahan’s Mountain Angel, but it's a single malt whiskey and not a bourbon so I am not sure it would qualify for your club. 

And last but not least, something sitting in my personal stash, Wigle Pennsylvania Straight Bourbon.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

The pictures look fantastic.  I might need to get my new phone sooner rather than later.  Was the above picture shot in portrait mode?  Looks like it might have been, but it would be fantastic if that was just normal depth of field from one of the 14 Pro Max lenses.

One thing disappointing is that the new iPhone does not do 48mp in Portrait mode. But I was able to get this depth of field using the wide lens at 48mp. I am pleased with the results.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

For entrees I ordered the beef tenderloin medium rare which was fantastic.

04CEF5F0-6046-4AB1-997B-41617C639E05.thumb.jpeg.7d589e724dc4e776eefc2154cbfd747f.jpeg

7AAF72AD-6EAD-4870-A67C-A354BDCDE996.thumb.jpeg.6e4d9ba3ecedcc531d4888fa82dc161f.jpeg

And the Seafood Alfredo Linguine. It tasted bland from the Alfredo sauce (needed more Parmesan and ground black pepper) but had lots a seafood pieces so it was acceptable. Better sauce than the shrimp Alfredo from Willie G’s.

Steak looks yummy. I’m sure to seafood lovers the Alfredo looks good too. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

So for our excursion today we decided to do something different. The Dia De Los Muertos Celebration celebrates Day of the Dead on November 1st and November 2nd. We always do beach days but we wanted to learn some culture. Now keep in mind we booked this long before our cruise.

Wow, love when the stars align.  The 3 of you were definitely meant to meet and share such a wonderful experience.  

Happy Anniversary, party it up tonight, enjoy your special evening 🥂🎉💕

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Tonight for formal night I’ve never seen so many cowboy hats, bolos, and boots on a ship in my life. I will say that that everyone has been polite and very courteous. Still not my scene but it seems like they are having a good time. I usually hang out in the Schooner Bar but it has been packed every night so I’ve had to find other bars to visit.

BA540F53-5390-439D-B46C-66D4F33F20FE.thumb.jpeg.f8b2bc3d553449249f79d5acbc2e2a8b.jpeg

Rum Punch in Oliver & Twist aka Viking Crown lounge.

Although I've been in TX for 19 years, I'm still not a huge Country fan.  On our first cruise out of Galveston the vibe was definitely Country.  At the talent show, every other person sang Patsy Cline's, Crazy.  Many had on boots, some cowboy/cowgirl hats, lots of jeans with big buckle belts.  Friendliest, fun loving people I ever met on a cruise.

AND, Greg, Linda, have a super Happy Anniversary.

Your Cozumel excursion will be one you both and Elaine will never forget.

Edited by BonTexasNY
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

You should bring a bottle of Widow Jane to the next meeting. 
While the oak barrels are from the south, the product itself is from N Y. 

Tin Cup from Colorado is another one that I have been pleased with. 

A little more upscale from CO is also Stranahan’s Mountain Angel, but it's a single malt whiskey and not a bourbon so I am not sure it would qualify for your club. 

And last but not least, something sitting in my personal stash, Wigle Pennsylvania Straight Bourbon.  

Thanks!  Someone brought Widow Jane a few months back and it was very good!  I'll look for the others - I always need something interesting.  I almost always have to go out of state for anything good - Alabama's liquor board only buys what they want us to have, and a lot of stuff is "allocated" - and not crazy stuff like Pappy, but typical choices like Blanton's and Woodford.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BonTexasNY said:

Friendliest, fun loving people I ever met on a cruise.

I’ll admit I was nervous as I’m not normally around the Country scene. I will say that everyone was been extremely polite, cordial and respectful. Really good people. My fault for compartmentalization of people. The old saying never judge a book by its cover is oh so true. I’ve really enjoyed these folks.

• Like 9

The  Chef’s Table , an incredible experience and then there was Neil Diamond.

E23C075F-D2A2-4DE4-8C2B-BE8DD9766D23.thumb.jpeg.8d968c69d465c9e16ec5e748c9ddf5cb.jpeg

We’ve done the Chef’s Table 4 times. Yes the menu hasn’t changed but each Chef brings their own experience to it. The Chef’s Table on Liberty is as others on the second floor balcony in the MDR on Deck 3. It’s a special alcove but it is still open to the noise and bustling of the main dining room.

2AABAEB2-FAD9-4084-961E-06ACE75C18CC.thumb.jpeg.f6a08e08e5dcb11a3558ad028de292f0.jpeg

Our invitation told us to meet at the “R” Bar for a specialty cocktail , a form of Champagne Bellini. We were then led to our seats where we introduced ourselves and made small talk. What I love about the Chef’s Table is meeting different people. Now I don’t remember names but Linda and I had wonderful conversations with a professional artist who does watercolors and child book illustrations, a newly married gay couple on their first cruise, a young girl recently returned from deployment in the military over seas, a Doctorate in Phycology who does behavior analysis at a federal penitentiary . The conversation was interesting and as the evening wore on became very fun and lively.

7D31DBEC-2BB0-4280-BF5D-D4B32C7DF288.thumb.jpeg.fb7136399667027fca746f632b01eea3.jpeg

Of course because of my hearing loss I missed the name of the sommelier but I learned he was a level 3 trained in France. He knew his stuff. He was funny, animated and very knowledgeable.

FCCCDA2C-830E-490F-A0E2-E9F1862E45DD.thumb.jpeg.925d9d0d2736c28b759c96f497b074a2.jpeg

Chef Samuel presented the courses after the sommelier explained the wine pairing. The courses

D4832D68-7A2C-4335-982D-35C265EC70DE.thumb.jpeg.543c18a6da50271a773d96286a3deedf.jpeg

1) Scallop Carpaccio with a Pinot Grigio

5D545F54-FF0B-4FB0-8667-E1AA5A7040AE.thumb.jpeg.96d36f422f5e88259fd4699eaaf955da.jpeg

2) Smoked Tomato Soup (one of the best soups I’ve ever had) with a Conundrum from Fairfield, California.

Main Lobster Salad with a Peter Yealands Sauvignon Blanc

Roasted Branzino (Mediterranean Sea Bass) with a Mer Soleil from Monterey County California 

Filet Mignon with a Oberon Cabernet Sauvignon 

Salted Caramel Espresso Martini 

The World (best chocolate dessert in the world IMHO)

Anniversary Cheesecake

An incredible dinner and what does that have to do with Neil Diamond? Well apparently not once but twice (early and late seating’s in the MDR) the staff was introduced and starting dancing around and the “Sweet Caroline” began playing and you know what happens. Normally I don’t mind but when it’s during the sommelier or Head Chef trying to explain the course it was annoying. Does anybody know how Sweet Caroline ended up being a people’s anthem. I remember when the song came out but never thought or imagined that everyone in the world would want to sing along.

After the world some celebratory cheesecake was served to several who had birthdays and finally to Linda and I who celebrated 25 years of marriage today. I couldn’t think of a better dinner to share with the love of my life, my best friend and mother of my only child. Cheers to you love. Thank you for 25 incredible years. Let’s keep this party going and what better party than one at sea.

• Like 37

I’m a bit late with my anniversary wishes, but at least by now I know that you and Linda had a wonderful, memorable day celebrating your 25th anniversary. My anniversary wish for the two of you is that you are able to share another 25 years of days as wonderful and memorable as today was.
🌹🥂🌹 Happy Anniversary!

Your iPhone pictures looked awesome. 

Edited by perfect match
  • Like 2

Thanks CC for ruining my #%*! post by not letting me edit in time.

to Continue:

8E6144BB-B552-47FD-BE3E-3C524EFCE841.thumb.jpeg.85cffa503e04fd3aff5ad8f7ecc1fda0.jpeg

3) Main Lobster Salad with a Peter Yealands Sauvignon Blanc

B2D73B3C-04D0-4696-80F4-D83BE1D8D9D5.thumb.jpeg.9bdd1f142b16dd6175cafd26b846b463.jpeg

4) Roasted Branzino (Mediterranean Sea Bass) with a Mer Soleil from Monterey County California 

C823BADB-1881-4BCA-BEE2-AC0C9872526F.thumb.jpeg.2991be712afda323499dca9e9d2c7bea.jpeg

5) Filet Mignon with a Oberon Cabernet Sauvignon 

0E241AD9-30F3-44A9-9F30-4C8AED1F8DCB.thumb.jpeg.d9576273228c00101f150b8a73feda03.jpeg

6) Salted Caramel Espresso Martini 

3974A720-CDD4-45CA-86FF-911F3C77D6BC.thumb.jpeg.f6863a5efe3385fea386ea7b785dabd2.jpeg

7) The World (best chocolate dessert in the world IMHO)

C227827E-8C69-4922-8792-4A4095FCF654.thumb.jpeg.ab51daf4da33abd58def93b041b42d0a.jpeg

An incredible dinner and what does that have to do with Neil Diamond? Well apparently not once but twice (early and late seating’s in the MDR) the staff was introduced and starting dancing around and the “Sweet Caroline” began playing and you know what happens. Normally I don’t mind but when it’s during the sommelier or Head Chef trying to explain the course it was annoying. Does anybody know how Sweet Caroline ended up being a people’s anthem. I remember when the song came out but never thought or imagined that everyone in the world would want to sing along.

F963D6CA-94FF-4B6D-8D81-F1795DA03EE1.thumb.jpeg.b86d0abfc295285659b997ca087559a4.jpeg

After the world some celebratory cheesecake was served to several who had birthdays and finally to Linda and I who celebrated 25 years of marriage today.

E365C49B-34C4-419F-ACEE-948938D6AF74.thumb.jpeg.046c027b1f3508a4dbcc3894638144dd.jpeg

I couldn’t think of a better dinner to share with the love of my life, my best friend and mother of my only child. Cheers to you love. Thank you for 25 incredible years. Let’s keep this party going and what better party than one at sea.

A984201D-32FA-4CF3-A50D-A4619DDF81D2.thumb.jpeg.51963c687721650469f82d763ef95707.jpeg

October 18, 1997

42A527A9-4020-4203-8DA6-53201C283EC8.thumb.jpeg.13e2003e9919d7ad8a2b0dca03c1b48e.jpeg

October 18, 2022

Edited by Sea Dog
  • Like 47
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I’ll admit I was nervous as I’m not normally around the Country scene. I will say that everyone was been extremely polite, cordial and respectful. Really good people. My fault for compartmentalization of people. The old saying never judge a book by its cover is oh so true. I’ve really enjoyed these folks.

I am really  happy your experience is exactly like the one we had years ago out of FLL.

• Like 2

Looks like a great Chef's Table and a perfect way to celebrate your anniversary.  We've been tempted but have never done a Chef's Table.  One of these days. I think I'd prefer one of the dedicated, quieter rooms, although I can see how being in the MDR can add a certain energy.

Congrats on the anniversary!  Hope your collar bone is not giving you too many problems.  Pain management is everything. 😉

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

One of these days. I think I'd prefer one of the dedicated, quieter rooms, although I can see how being in the MDR can add a certain energy.

Congrats on the anniversary!  Hope your collar bone is not giving you too many problems.  Pain management is everything. 😉

I think location is the key. Some ships have a dedicated room. On Harmony it was a dedicated room off the Solarium that was glassed in but curtains were drawn after we got in the room. Very intimate and quieter so you could hear the Chef.

Shoulder is slightly better. Pain a little less. I think it may take 6-8 weeks to fully heal.

Thanks for following along.

• Like 5