Back to Back issue

rolloman

Hoping someone has first hand knowledge of how this will work. My friend is doing a back to back on the Indy next week. The first leg he will have his two kids and the second leg he will be dropping them off with the Grandparents at the port, then of course re-boarding. What would be likely the process? Is it possible to get his new sailing card for the second leg in advance prior to disembarking to drop the kids off?

We have at many times gotten our new SeaPass card the day before at the consecutive cruiser meeting....and an-in-transit card to make reboarding easier  where you can avoid the lines of regular embarking passengers..there will be signs or ask for exact info at your meeting.

• Like 1

A similar situation happened to my friend a several years ago, but he was leaving his kids at the port with his ex-wife after the first cruise. Because his kids were both minors, he had to debark the ship with them and then check-in for the second cruise thru the normal check-in process. Keep in mind this was pre-COVID so the process could be different now since a lot has changed with debarkation and embarkation. 

17 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We have at many times gotten our new SeaPass card the day before at the consecutive cruiser meeting....and an-in-transit card to make reboarding easier  where you can avoid the lines of regular embarking passengers..there will be signs or ask for exact info at your meeting.

No longer.  In fact RCI wants to take your old card away from you so you don't confuse them.  Promising they will return it.  They don't.

11 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

No longer.  In fact RCI wants to take your old card away from you so you don't confuse them.  Promising they will return it.  They don't.

On Jewel this last summer (out of Amsterdam), we never left the ship. We went to the theater where they handed us our new cards (and an "In Transit card), then we went to a security podium they brought up to the theater where they scanned us out of the first cruise on our old card and into the new cruise on the new card, and then they sent us on our way with both cards.

Just now, RobInMN said:

On Jewel this last summer (out of Amsterdam), we never left the ship. We went to the theater where they handed us our new cards (and an "In Transit card), then we went to a security podium they brought up to the theater where they scanned us out of the first cruise on our old card and into the new cruise on the new card, and then they sent us on our way with both cards.

We were on the same cruise, it was a great turn-a-round for three legs.  Not having to leave the ship was great.

The security guard kept the card of the passenger in front of us.  Seeing that, I never let go of the card and showed him it was going into my passport.  He reluctantly agreed.

Amsterdam was great.

No problem at all.  There is a process with clear instructions for those who want to leave the ship and return later.  The info will be in the B2B letter that is provided near the end of the first cruise.   Your friend will be able to leave the ship with his children and will return alone when general boarding begins.   Many on a B2B leave the ship.    He will be told where to get the new sea pass card (prior to leaving the ship)  and should also be issued an "in transit" card. He will likely have to wait in the terminal for general boarding to get back on.  ( some ports allow him to get back on at any time, some will make him wait for boarding to begin.)     He will also have to go through the security line at the terminal.

Since he is B2B and has an "in transit" card he will be able to go back to his cabin at any time. 

He will not go to the B2B meeting place ( on turnaround day), as he will be off the ship by then. I've needed to take care of a few things in Port Canaveral and have used this process several times.    I was B2B on Indy.  NO ISSUES. 

Hope this helps 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, steveru621 said:

That may vary ship to ship.  We did a B2B on Quantum in Seattle this past September.  
At the B2B meeting in Bolero's they gave us our new cards before we walked off the ship.  We used the old cards to exit the ship to the terminal and the new cards to come back aboard the ship when it reopened for boarding. 

2 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Though depends on Ship/Sailing, RCI-Royal Consistently Inconsistent! On B5B Jewel in Spring they gave us New Cards as we Walked off each time. B4B on Serenade last 3weeks we got new Cards just before walking back on OR we could have got them before 9am if going into town. Both these Ships let us keep old ones in our pockets, though I remember many times in past Ships did take old cards and we'd have to ask for them back after getting back on at Guest Services

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steveru621 said:

Only ONCE did I not get it back, and that was about five years ago.

3 hours ago, steveru621 said:

HaHa...RCI doing things so you don't get "confused"...that's new :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobInMN said:

LOL.  Somebody tried to take hubby’s card last year.  An onlooker might have thought they were trying to take his first born🤣.  The card is in DH’s card collection.

Edited by Starry Eyes
Wrong quote
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisegirl1 said:

No problem at all.  There is a process with clear instructions for those who want to leave the ship and return later.  The info will be in the B2B letter that is provided near the end of the first cruise.   Your friend will be able to leave the ship with his children and will return alone when general boarding begins.   Many on a B2B leave the ship.    He will be told where to get the new sea pass card (prior to leaving the ship)  and should also be issued an "in transit" card. He will likely have to wait in the terminal for general boarding to get back on.  ( some ports allow him to get back on at any time, some will make him wait for boarding to begin.)     He will also have to go through the security line at the terminal.

Since he is B2B and has an "in transit" card he will be able to go back to his cabin at any time. 

He will not go to the B2B meeting place ( on turnaround day), as he will be off the ship by then. I've needed to take care of a few things in Port Canaveral and have used this process several times.    I was B2B on Indy.  NO ISSUES. 

Hope this helps 

M

Perfect thanks...I have relayed to him. 

For all of our b2b's (3 so far) we have been given our cards turnaround morning (twice before we left the ship and once in the terminal before reboarding).  We have then been walked off and back on as a group.  We were also given "in transit" cards which we have never used.  Supposedly (from other's reports) you can get off the ship and return later, go through security and bypass check in using in transit card and then reboard with your new card. Also, we didn't get our card back on EN this past Apr.  They told me I'd get it back, I knew better.   It's the only card out of all our cruises that I don't have.

Edited by BND