Is high tech making a new class system ,I think so .

dolittle

Many new ships are laden with apps for almost everything from getting on the ship to dinner reservations even now ordering you meals even in the buffet. I know many like this and it can make SOME things easier but for some of us it is just a pain. For me part of getting away is getting away from tech, social media and phones (the wired kind too). I know there are some of like me I don't know how to deal with this this on board. I do think it is making a tech class system and those who do not partake in these apps will lose out on many things . What do you think and what class are you in.

I'm not on your side with this one. Tech is a necessary part of life these days. It's like a runaway train. If you're not on board, you'll get left behind. Kind of like when my grandfather refused to get a phone in his house, indoor plumbing, or electricity. He was happy living that way.

I know many people don't believe in giving their kids phones or tablets, or laptops. That's okay, if that's how they feel. However, you're just hurting the kid. By the time you do decide it's time to give them one, they are so far technologically behind, they'll never catch up.

Progress is never universally accepted.  Some people embrace it wholeheartedly, some not at all, and some pick and chose.  I (late sixties, retired over 10 years ago from an IT project management job, never on social media unless cruise critic counts) fall into the pick and chose category but I can definitely understand others who don't want to be bothered especially with something as quirky (my polite way of saying, totally untested before implementation) Princess Medallion App.  Believe it or not, it is actually much improved in the past 12 months!

The truth is that the number of passengers embracing progress wholeheartedly is increasing as their numbers replace the rest of us.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 1

I’m with you. I hate having to have my phone with me everywhere, make sure it is charged and make sure I know how to access the app.  My May cruise my phone stopped working as I got on the ship. No access to my shore ex tickets and limited access to on board activities.  I really cruise to put my phone in the safe and relax.  Paper tickets and where/when’s mean I can keep track and take pix for my travel diary.  

21 minutes ago, dolittle said:

Many new ships are laden with apps for almost everything from getting on the ship to dinner reservations even now ordering you meals even in the buffet. I know many like this and it can make SOME things easier but for some of us it is just a pain. For me part of getting away is getting away from tech, social media and phones (the wired kind too). I know there are some of like me I don't know how to deal with this this on board. I do think it is making a tech class system and those who do not partake in these apps will lose out on many things . What do you think and what class are you in.

The cruise lines make more revenue with tech so there is only going to be more of it so you better learn how to deal with it. Yes, you will lose out on some things if you don't learn. It is easy for me and I know it is not easy for everyone but there is no going back. Most people can manage. Certainly anyone who can navigate Cruise Critic can. 

I would say that the cruise world is moving along with the rest of the world in becoming more tech involved. And most of the general population is more accustomed to its use than many of the more senior sector of cruisers. It's pretty much a given that seniors and the super elite cruisers are no longer the target demographic for most (especially the mass market) lines. They want to attract a newer, younger customer base who (they hope) will continue cruising for the extra several decades. Their tech has to at least come close to what those new pax want.

I don't have to like it. But if that's what it takes, I will use it the minimum  amount possible. I still don't trust it though, and print out any necessary documents before boarding. 

• Like 1

It’s a continuum.  It’s progress.  Some didn’t welcome the industrial revolution, indoor plumbing, electricity, cars, phones, etc.    We didn’t get TV until I was in the 6th grade.  I think my mother died at 87 because she knew at my next visit I was going to teach her to do email (1998).  I’ve never been in the forefront of tech, I’ve on,y had a smart phone for 6 years.  I did have a stupid phone a lot of years before that.  Right now I am struggling to learn an Apple Watch that I had to get to participate in a health study.  It’s a choice people make, and if it makes them happy, sobeit.  EM

• Like 1

I'm not a tech person, never worked in IT and don't even understand half the settings on my iPhone.   I embrace the improvements.  I find the apps a quick learn and easy to use.  All kinds of information is easier to access just about any time I want.  I'm able to communicate with my ship mates.  I'm able to see what is happening where hour-by-hour if I want to and can do that for or any day of the cruise.  I can bookmark things.   I can make dining arrangements.  I can do just about anything I would need to do.  What I can't do is mark up the daily printed schedule with a yellow hi-lighter, but that has never been something I do.  🙂

Yep...change is difficult. However, most situations I have experience since cruising resumed has not REQUIRED many of the changes be used. There is usually a work around, like printed menus, or having your room key/card scanned at check in for an excursion, replacing excursion tickets. That may vary by cruise line.

• Like 1

The tech reduces my time in lines and on phones.  Now more of my interactions onboard are quality interactions instead of managerial interactions.  As much as some may enjoy chatting with customer service I  would rather not.    My DH still likes the printed word so we live in both worlds when traveling.  I did finally get him to present his phone for boarding flights instead of having a paper pass, it speeds up the process for all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dolittle said:

It's not a class system if you get to choose your class.  It is a Choice system.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

It's not a class system if you get to choose your class.  It is a Choice system.

The problem with your choice system is those of us who have not made your choice are looked down upon by those who have made your choice.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dolittle said:

I don't mean to discount your thoughts but have you considered the fact that we are discussing this on a message board that, in their early incarnations, were just text-based tools for tech geeks such as myself (I used a dumb terminal and a 300 baud MODEM, if anyone remembers those!)?  Likely using portable electronics that did not exist in their current form 15 years ago?

We are fortunate to live in an age where we went from mailing checks and order forms to a couple online clicks.  From wondering what that new restaurant down the road featured (and hoping the local paper wrote a review) to checking menus online and, probably looking up user reviews as well.  The vast majority of the population of developed nations uses this new tech and it's natural that, by extension, it will carry over to most aspects of our lives.  

I'm aware of the fact that, as someone who was an active participant in the tech industry from the days of punch cards, appreciate these developments more than most.  But just think about your own situation.  You likely went from rotary phones and saving up to make a long distance call to having a lifeline at your side that can connect you with the world instantly.

I do understand the reluctance to move away with what we know to be functional and comfortable (and am guilty of this myself in other areas) but I doubt you'd be happy if all aspects of your life did not adapt to current technology.

Edited by txjim09
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, dolittle said:

Great questions, but I note while our preferred cruise line has one of the youngest fleets, the technology is applied where it should be, making the ships cleaner and safer.

Personally, I ditched smart phones when I retired 10 yrs ago and haven't missed the infernal thing, due to living with it 24/7 and way too many work calls received in the middle of the night. I won't be getting another one, and while many say they are now required, I survive well without one.

When cruising with our preferred cruise line, you can only reserve the 2 alternative restaurants (which are free), which can be done on a cell phone with an app, booking on the cabin TV, or walking to the reservation desk and meeting face to face. Other than spa services and shore-ex, nothing else requires reservations. Room service is still ordered by hanging the form outside the door at night and in the buffet, made to order requests are submitted by walking up to the relevant station.

Entertainment, lectures, etc are still first come first served, no booking required.

For us, if cell phones are required to enjoy the services on a mega ship, it is just another of many reasons to avoid them.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

For us, if cell phones are required to enjoy the services on a mega ship, it is just another of many reasons to avoid them.

Seconded — I am inclined to think that a major reason people want (think they need) to “stay connected” is that they are afraid to be left alone with their thoughts.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, klfrodo said:

I'm not on your side with this one. Tech is a necessary part of life these days. It's like a runaway train. If you're not on board, you'll get left behind. Kind of like when my grandfather refused to get a phone in his house, indoor plumbing, or electricity. He was happy living that way.

I know many people don't believe in giving their kids phones or tablets, or laptops. That's okay, if that's how they feel. However, you're just hurting the kid. By the time you do decide it's time to give them one, they are so far technologically behind, they'll never catch up.

Giving kids unlimited screens creates kids unable to deal with frustrations (lose game, start again, close, quit, start) as evidenced when screen time is interrupted, impairs social skills since their world is them/screen, kids need sights/sounds/touch/smell/motion to develop brains even if it is just a trip to the grocery store.  Screens have a role but disconnecting is important.   

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Seconded — I am inclined to think that a major reason people want (think they need) to “stay connected” is that they are afraid to be left alone with their thoughts.

Phones are a good "protection" from interacting with people.  These platforms do allow the keyboard warriors to pretend to be all that and maybe people are afraid strangers will be as mean in the meat  world.

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

Yep...change is difficult. However, most situations I have experience since cruising resumed has not REQUIRED many of the changes be used. There is usually a work around, like printed menus, or having your room key/card scanned at check in for an excursion, replacing excursion tickets. That may vary by cruise line.

I find crew are still interesting in providing good service and a simple ask is enough.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

The tech reduces my time in lines and on phones.  Now more of my interactions onboard are quality interactions instead of managerial interactions.  As much as some may enjoy chatting with customer service I  would rather not.    My DH still likes the printed word so we live in both worlds when traveling.  I did finally get him to present his phone for boarding flights instead of having a paper pass, it speeds up the process for all.

I disagree that phone boarding passes are faster.  Nothing worse than when one parent has everyone's boarding pass on one phone, displays times out or set too low.  One second to scan my paper pass

• Like 3

1 hour ago, txjim09 said:

I don't mean to discount your thoughts but have you considered the fact that we are discussing this on a message board that, in their early incarnations, were just text-based tools for tech geeks such as myself (I used a dumb terminal and a 300 baud MODEM, if anyone remembers those!)?  Likely using portable electronics that did not exist in their current form 15 years ago?

We are fortunate to live in an age where we went from mailing checks and order forms to a couple online clicks.  From wondering what that new restaurant down the road featured (and hoping the local paper wrote a review) to checking menus online and, probably looking up user reviews as well.  The vast majority of the population of developed nations uses this new tech and it's natural that, by extension, it will carry over to most aspects of our lives.  

I'm aware of the fact that, as someone who was an active participant in the tech industry from the days of punch cards, appreciate these developments more than most.  But just think about your own situation.  You likely went from rotary phones and saving up to make a long distance call to having a lifeline at your side that can connect you with the world instantly.

I do understand the reluctance to move away with what we know to be functional and comfortable (and am guilty of this myself in other areas) but I doubt you'd be happy if all aspects of your life did not adapt to current technology.

Except my checkbook has never been hacked, cloned, or held hostage by ransomware.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I find crew are still interesting in providing good service and a simple ask is enough.  

Of course. While the tech is convenient there will always be people who can’t learn it, or don’t want to learn it, or are not able to use it because of disability. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Except my checkbook has never been hacked, cloned, or held hostage by ransomware.  

Your bank most certainly uses advanced tech which allows you access to your funds faster and more conveniently. 

Again, I'm not trying to paint you or anyone else posting here as a Luddite but there's a point where a company can no longer maintain legacy approaches, a switchover must occur.  Your 3G cell phone is no longer useable because carriers needed the spectral bandwidth for other, more useful purposes.  Examples like this abound.

I must add, however, your checkbook example is not a good one as the technology used to process it is years beyond what was in place when pieces of paper were flown all over creation for processing and this is due to new technology.

In any case, I appreciate the opportunity to tech-geek out!  And am not surprised that people in this thread did wonder what a punch card is!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, txjim09 said:

Your bank most certainly uses advanced tech which allows you access to your funds faster and more conveniently. 

Again, I'm not trying to paint you or anyone else posting here as a Luddite but there's a point where a company can no longer maintain legacy approaches, a switchover must occur.  Your 3G cell phone is no longer useable because carriers needed the spectral bandwidth for other, more useful purposes.  Examples like this abound.

I must add, however, your checkbook example is not a good one as the technology used to process it is years beyond what was in place when pieces of paper were flown all over creation for processing and this is due to new technology.

In any case, I appreciate the opportunity to tech-geek out!  And am not surprised that people in this thread did wonder what a punch card is!

My end of the checkbook works the same as it did 40 years ago.  I can not be locked out of it, I can see my balance 24/7  and I require no outside energy source to operate it.  It matters not to me what happens at the other end, didn't affect my end then or now.  

• Like 1