Have you changed the way you pack?

Ombud

We pack differently, depending on what airline we are flying.  We are flying Southwest on our upcoming cruise, so we will both check a big bag and have a carryon with items that we need.  We both bring our snorkel equipment, so that takes up quite a bit of room in the suitcase.  If we are flying where we pay for checked luggage, we will check one bag and each have a carryon.  

We buy things for our grandchildren, so we need extra room in the suitcase for their gifts.

• Like 2

It really depends what I need.  I just did two weeks in Europe with a backpack each, but for the cruise, I want to bring snorkel gear and a few other things that will probably have me use a medium suitcase that I will check.  There will be a carryon with essentials that are not easily replaceable.  I never trust checked luggage completely.  We once checked our bags for a holiday trip to Europe and spent Christmas Eve and Day in our airplane clothes.  Memorable.

We always packed in one 30 inch suitcase and one school bag size daypack each for 7 day, to 40 days. We stayed precruise around 3 nights at US, South America and Europe ports. Never had issues. Two exceptions were a 10 day pre cruise excursion in Australia and a pre cruise excursion in Alaska. In these cases we brought an extra air plane size carry on suitcase.

Over time we had lists of just what to pack. 

53 minutes ago, RNRcruisers said:

I tried to do carry-on for our 10 day London trip but failed and ended up checking a bag. The toiletries are the hardest part for me (that quart bag is small!) but also the uncertain weather just made it too hard to fit it all in. For a cruise, I want to pack what I want and not be limited 😀 I do keep it to one checked though.

In case it helps anyone to know this about the liquids: TSA allows contact lens solution to not count in the quart size bag. (Doesn’t even have to be 3oz.) You don’t have to bag it. You are supposed to declare them, but I just use two bags and no one has ever said anything. In the contact lens bag I use extra contact lens cases to bring some face lotions ☺️. I also put eye drops in that bag. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, buckeye7 said:

In case it helps anyone to know this about the liquids: TSA allows contact lens solution to not count in the quart size bag. (Doesn’t even have to be 3oz.) You don’t have to bag it. You are supposed to declare them, but I just use two bags and no one has ever said anything. In the contact lens bag I use extra contact lens cases to bring some face lotions ☺️. I also put eye drops in that bag. 

Good to know! That does take up a part of my quart size bag.

• Like 1

Have always been a dreadful "what if" and "just in case" over packer in the past but really started paying attention on the last cruise or two at the items we brought that either were never worn or simply sat in the drawer and were never used and have removed them from the packing list.  Unfortunately, due to DH's increasing physical limitations the lifting, loading, and moving of the luggage now falls primarily with me so the lighter I can keep it the better.

The one thing I always do though is carry our medications in our hand luggage along with an extra pair or two of clean knickers...you know, just in case 😁

• Like 6

3 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

When we do that, we often try to schedule the land travel first and pack lightly for that trip - with a lot of quick dry travel clothes that do a lot of double duty/mix-and-match.

Then we have a bag of "cruise only" gear shipped to the ship.

Over the years we have also pared down the packing list by paying attention to things we packed but never used.

not there yet, still workin'  Land based trips are usually tied in as business trips so; coats and ties are packed . 

• Like 1

We usually do carry on when taking flights.  Since cruises started up again we have only sailed from our NY/NJ/Baltimore area so I started using the large suitcases again.  My next cruise which is this Saturday calls for a one way flight back from Ft. Lauderdale so I have to go back to the carry on.  I just put my shoes in and it takes up half the room.  It's going to be a nightmare next May when we do a 21 day b2b where we will be in Spain & Portugal with lighter clothes and then go to Norway where we have to wear heavier clothes.  Ugh!

• Like 1

I have a Cruise Packing List saved on my computer that I started about 13 years ago.  When I got home from the cruise, I removed items that we didn't use and didn't need.  I also added items that I had wished that we had with us.  I think it is about perfect for us now.   I pack the day before and I feel confident that we haven't forgotten something.  I also use it to pack up when we leave the ship, to make sure that I have everything.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Traveling overseas vs traveling on Southwest are two totally different issues.     

I no longer pack jeans, I pack black leggings (both capri and full length).   I wear these on formal nights as well as in port.   They take up way less space in my suitcase and they can be dressed up or down.   I can pack 4-6 of these compared to 1 set of jeans.   All my blouses are wrinkle free and I can cram them in anywhere.     I could easily fit everything into a carry on if I had to, I'd just have to give up my coat hangers and my hanging shoe rack.   I just choose not too. 

I no longer pack a bunch of make up, blow dryer or curling iron (cut my hair short.....thanks covid).    I also don't pack a bunch of shoes that I never wear.    

I'm not going to lie, becoming elite has made packing a bit easier because they do my laundry so I don't bring laundry soap or as many clothes.

We no longer dress to impress, we dress for comfort.  We don't look like slobs, but everything is comfortable.

Also, if I'm just going from the airport to the hotel/cruise I don't sweat packing a little extra because I'm not toting it around everywhere.   If I'm doing some land based stuff prior/after the cruise and I'm responsible for lugging around suitcases, I can easily not pack some items.

• Like 4

Last several cruises used 22" roller Carryon each.

Thanks to onboard Laundry room. (elite, but I prefer to do myself)

We bring a few outfits, yes layers, and do laundry mid-trip.

So can either check bag, or not.

Very limited shoes, usually one pair on, one in side pocket & hotel

cheapie slip-on slippers for cabin.  Thats it for shoes.

(we don't bring formal attire & shoes anymore either)

Usually black sweater each.  Black skechers! Can wear anytime.

For different climates?  A Packable Jacket!  I tuck it inside a bucket hat.

So thats it for my cold weather/rain, choice. (got mine from LLBean)

Very small & handy!

• Like 1

We hate lugging around way to much luggage.  And, my husband is my pack-horse!!!  Hahaha!

But, I can't do just a carry-on in most cases.  For a cruise, with needing everything from a more dressy night or two, to shorts, swimsuits, flip-flops, dress shoes, walking shoes for sight-seeing. With both cold and warm weather. The two of us split one LARGE suitcase, along with carry-ons.

Edited by PRINCESS Sweet Pea
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Esprit said:

No changes for us. Still put two bags in the hold but include Apple iTags now! 

Same for us but whilst in the past we would take a large suitcase each and use every little bit of the 23kg allowance, now it’s medium suitcases and around 18kg each max. Shoes and toiletries are the bugbear for us. What hasn’t changed is the carry on with a complete change of clothes for each of us along with essentials such as meds. 

• Like 1

We always cruise with 2 carry on bags and one checked bag. Plenty for us whether a 10 day cruise, a 28 day cruise, or an overnight in Southampton followed by a 12 day cruise followed by 4 days in Barcelona followed by a 14 day cruise. This includes taking formal wear.

We cruised with that luggage on a trip where a person from our Roll Call took (I think) 7 bags and had to buy another one for the trip back home. Too much luggage hassle for us.

• Like 2

Someone posted this a few yrs ago in a luggage discussion. I still love that the luggage included a sewing machine. The couple were such good sports about the teasing. I bet they're fun. ♡♡♡

Screenshot_20221031-160502_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We used to take suitcases. Now we each take a backpack and a carryon. Instead of a suit for formal night I bring a lightweight sport coat just do I don’t standout too much. We really like NCL’s Freestyle approach. We just did a NCL cruise and we’re impressed (as always by the entertainment), but also by the improvements in service and dining. We are embarking on a Princess cruise now and I hope they have also tried to improve in those areas. Otherwise I think it is going to be NCL.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

We usually do carry on when taking flights.  Since cruises started up again we have only sailed from our NY/NJ/Baltimore area so I started using the large suitcases again.  My next cruise which is this Saturday calls for a one way flight back from Ft. Lauderdale so I have to go back to the carry on.  I just put my shoes in and it takes up half the room.  It's going to be a nightmare next May when we do a 21 day b2b where we will be in Spain & Portugal with lighter clothes and then go to Norway where we have to wear heavier clothes.  Ugh!

all those changes in climate make packing very difficult.   We did something similar this past Aug/September (Norway then the Med).   We each checked a 24" bag, then carried on a roller bag and backpack.    It was taking clothes for hot weather, and also hiking boots, rain jacket, fleece, etc that made it difficult.    We did use almost everything we brought, so it worked out ok.

The carryons had things we needed immediately, if our checked luggage should get lost (so, hiking boots, winter clothes + a few other things, originally, then switch it all around when flying for the next part of the trip).      It was really a hassle; nothing got lost.   But we would have been prepared if it did, so I guess worth it.   I think luggage issues have pretty much died down from early summer.

Mary

• Like 1

When we did our first cruise 2018 I over-packed.... our cruise was 13 days and we had a day in Sydney before the cruise and 2 days after the cruise, so I basically packed 15 pairs of socks & underpants, but didn't need to as I was washing the old ones out every couple of days and they'd dry in no time

I also took a pair of shoes I didn't need and too many t-shirts, so for our cruise in 2023 I'll pack smarter and lighter

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

We always cruise with 2 carry on bags and one checked bag.

How big is your checked bag? I'd like to be able to do that, might be easier than the 24 and 26 inch we used last time Most problems were getting bags off carousel and in and out of hotels. Hard to see us not checking any bag, seems we'd have more trouble with several smaller bags and finding space on airplane. Once the bags were checked with airline, we were free of things to carry.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

How big is your checked bag? I'd like to be able to do that, might be easier than the 24 and 26 inch we used last time Most problems were getting bags off carousel and in and out of hotels. Hard to see us not checking any bag, seems we'd have more trouble with several smaller bags and finding space on airplane. Once the bags were checked with airline, we were free of things to carry.

It's usually one of those that folds in half and can hold a suit on a hanger. I'm too lazy to go out and get it and measure it but it's not huge. If not taking a suit (didn't on last cruise) we have a "regular" bigger suitcase but, again, it's not huge. Someone gave us a brand new huge suitcase but we never used it so we gave it away.

Two small checked bags (now with Apple Air Tags); each packed with clothing for both of us just in case one goes missing.

Small carry on packed with one change of clothing each and medications.  A backpack with snacks/entertainment for the flight.  No swimwear or formal wear.  Colour coordinate.  Sneakers on our feet, one pair of dress shoes packed.  

45 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

This works for us… I am naturally an over packer but am always trying to be better. DH hates a bunch of small bags so we do better with one or two full size checked bags, then one roller carry on and a tote bag. Much easier to navigate the Airport etc.  We had 12 days in Alaska and this combo worked. Since we have Elite laundry and I don’t mind doing one or two loads mid trip we use a 5 day plan for all the basics like tshirts shorts socks etc.   I enjoy dressing up a bit at night since we don’t go out much at home, but do a rotation of 2-3 simple knit dresses I can roll up and black dress pants with 2 dressy  tops. Shoes are getting easier since I can’t wear heels anymore due to previous injuries.   Sneakers, walking sandals, dressy flats, and something like a Croc as they work as a slipper in the cabin and a pool sandal.   DH does the same 2 pairs of pants 2 pairs of dressy shorts and 3-4 polos for the evening.  All very wash and wear friendly.  

Most of our cruises have been from Ft Lauderdale so we drive in and the amount of luggage is not such a big deal.  We are doing California Coastal in March so do need to pack for varied weather…fog and cooler in San Fran and getting warmer as we head south.   

Yes, checking one or two bags has a cost unless you have points,  but i factor it in to the overall cost of the trip. Plus, if we are flying to cruise  it’s an important trip and I try minimize the stress.     Trying to live out of only a carry on for a week is more stressful than the checked bag cost.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 1965 said:

Someone posted this a few yrs ago in a luggage discussion. I still love that the luggage included a sewing machine. The couple were such good sports about the teasing. I bet they're fun. ♡♡♡

Screenshot_20221031-160502_Gallery.jpg

OMG, I remember this photo from the “ before times” .  I think they were  cruising  for a whole season and she wanted to keep up her quilting! He had very good advice about traveling with wine!  Gotta love it 🙂

• Like 2