need recommendation for gift bags!

juanarcin

DW and I have been on 8 cruises and are about to go on our 9th with our parents and siblings, all first time cruisers! There will be about 8 of us and we are so excited to see them cruise for the first time. We were talking about putting together small gift bags for them with items people don't think to take on the first cruise. But I can't think of much besides sea sick medication, lanyards for sail passes, and maybe ear plugs lol. Ideas??

48 minutes ago, juanarcin said:

We were talking about putting together small gift bags for them with items people don't think to take on the first cruise. But I can't think of much besides sea sick medication, lanyards for sail passes, and maybe ear plugs lol. Ideas??

I like your and Ferry-Watcher's ideas. How about small-to-medium posty notepads for leaving notes on their own or others' doors. Some people like a highlighter (one per cabin?) to mark up the Daily schedule with things they want to do.

• Like 4

Good stuff. How about a roll of rolaids, small bottles of hand lotion, travel pack of antiseptic wipes, or small bottle of hand sanitizer..  Another thing most probably don't think about are those basic dental first aid kits, though I sincerely hope no one would need one.    

• Like 1

All of these are great ideas.  How about a very small flashlight?  Handy for seeing in the cabin at night without turning on a light, and also could potentially turn out to be useful in the very unlikely event of an emergency.

• Like 3

A few items I usually bring with me on cruises:

- magnetic hooks

- bandana

- lanyard

- plastic towel clips

- pill boxes (with prescription)

- passport holder

- mints and cough drops

- wine bottle opener and stopper

20221105_124550.jpg

How about getting something customized?  If there's a "reason" for the cruise together, all the better.

Maybe even the gift bag itself?  Something like a nicer canvas-style bag (or whatever preference) with something printed on it like, "Smith Family Reunion, June, 2023" or "Happy Anniversary, Kim and Pat!" or, perhaps, "Rumplestiltskin's 50th Birthday!" [or, ahem, without the number, depending......!]

Or I've heard of some people getting t-shirts with the common theme printed?

In this day and age without the throw-away single use plastic bottle, perhaps a reusable one with the customization for everyone?

If you look on the website of those customization companies, there might be something else that might be of special interest, or something that just captures your attention. 

They have an almost endless supply of "Things That Can Be Customized".  🙂 

Even something like decks of playing cards.  It's mostly the thought, of course, plus perhaps having something to take home as a memory of the trip.

Enjoy!  I'm sure whatever you do, it will be very special, indeed.

GC

• Like 2

People may or may not want /need these things.  They may already have a good number of them, or they may buy them in anticipation of the cruise. 

If you want to do something nice for the group, how about hosting a casual dinner at a restaurant near the port the night before your cruise?  

7 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

People may or may not want /need these things.  They may already have a good number of them, or they may buy them in anticipation of the cruise. 

If you want to do something nice for the group, how about hosting a casual dinner at a restaurant near the port the night before your cruise?  

They are all first-time cruisers, so I think the gift bags are a mahvelous idea.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The OP maybe had a good idea but they suggested items which would make a package about the size of a deck of cards. This would be the largest thing I would want someone to “give” me and then I have to pack it. All these other suggestions may be necessary for some people but not for most. 

Great suggestion to get together for dinner. I would also have a meet up ahead of time and talk about your “necessities” so they can get if they want. Be realistic about your needs vs theirs. Tell then as much as possible about the experience. If you live close, take a trip to the dollar store together.After all, who goes on a trip these days without sanitizer if they use it.

When I invited three friends along, I gave them each a SMALL (3 X 4 inch) notebook to use as diary or other notes. They could take it with them or not,