Will this work? ...Getting Wife, son and maybe daughters to Diamond

All points are actual:

Myself: 68 points

Wife: 68 points

Daughter 21 yrs old: 46 points

Daughter 18 yrs old: 46 points

Son 15 yrs old: 46 points

If I sail solo on a 4 night in a suite, that will get me 12 more points and hit Diamond (80 points) correct?

1. I can then link my son who's under 18, and my wife since she is my spouse to get them to Diamond?
  2. What about my daughters that also still live in our household?  Are they not eligible to be Diamond since they are 18 and older and must get their points on their own, or can they get diamond status since they still live with us?
  3. How long does it take for the status to transfer?

Thanks,
Dan

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

All points are actual:

Myself: 68 points

Wife: 68 points

Daughter 21 yrs old: 46 points

Daughter 18 yrs old: 46 points

Son 15 yrs old: 46 points

If I sail solo on a 4 night in a suite, that will get me 12 more points and hit Diamond (80 points) correct?

1. I can then link my son who's under 18, and my wife since she is my spouse to get them to Diamond?
  2. What about my daughters that also still live in our household?  Are they not eligible to be Diamond since they are 18 and older and must get their points on their own, or can they get diamond status since they still live with us?
  3. How long does it take for the status to transfer?

Thanks,
Dan

Just to clarify since we have a roll call going back n forth.

Even a JS gets the extra suite pt even though not the other suite perks except boarding. But to save money you only have to book a JS to get there. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies.  Yeah, I would book a Jr. Suite for sure.  Just need a short 4 night sailing for my needs too.

Now just how to figure out how to keep my daughters from getting jealous of their brother's Diamond status 😅

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

It literally makes me SMH the things people do to “status up”. Just enjoy your cruises and it’ll happen eventually. It’s not really logical to overspend or book special trips just to make Diamond earlier. The premium between a balcony and a JS plus single supplement just to get 4 free drinks a day is really something. Diamond isn’t even what it used to be. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

It literally makes me SMH the things people do to “status up”. Just enjoy your cruises and it’ll happen eventually. It’s not really logical to overspend or book special trips just to make Diamond earlier. The premium between a balcony and a JS plus single supplement just to get 4 free drinks a day is really something. Diamond isn’t even what it used to be. 

You do you and I’ll do me.  Thanks.  🙂

Dan

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

21 minutes ago, kruzerci said:

I booked a b2b2b2b on grandeur last may to get to 340 pts sooner. I would hit it in dec then found out it doesnt apply to already paid cruises. I wanted some more exciting cruises that would cost more but my mom is now in the hospital ...but it really took a lot off my cruises next year. Not as much as it cost me, but I was ready to get there. 

It's not like it's a hardship to cruise. Sometimes people just want to hit a goal and get it nailed down. Policies can change. Maybe not worth it, but didnt hurt. 

He wouldnt be the first or last to chase pts for whatever reason. I wanted the dp340 discount. The diamond lounge is pretty nice. I really like that perk tbh. And the wifi lol. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

It's not like it's a hardship to cruise. Sometimes people just want to hit a goal and get it nailed down. Policies can change. Maybe not worth it, but didnt hurt. 

He wouldnt be the first or last to chase pts for whatever reason. I wanted the dp340 discount. The diamond lounge is pretty nice. I really like that perk tbh. And the wifi lol. 

I agree, we booked a really cheap cruise to Canada to get to Diamond, we had Diamond status on our most recent.  With the 4 drinks per day and internet we paid for the prior cruise plus we enjoyed it.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I wanted the dp340 discount. 

Stuck at 337 points.  😞  

Was going to book a cheap cruise, but kept putting it off.  Plan to retire, but exit date was subject to change.  But at this point, it's only four more weeks.  🙂

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Stuck at 337 points.  😞  

Was going to book a cheap cruise, but kept putting it off.  Plan to retire, but exit date was subject to change.  But at this point, it looks only four more weeks.  🙂

Dont wait too long. As I said I got there in sept but had to pay for dec b2b allure. Ourusualbeach who is a ta posted I couldnt apply the dp340 once I made final payment. I didnt know about that rule. 

That's why I pushed to get it sooner for next year. 

I don't care about status.  I do care about the 4 drinks per day, as we will use them all.  Drink prices have gone nuts on RCCL in my opinion.  It would nice to have that perk nailed down for cruises going forward.  We have one cruise booked already, and probably another, for summer next year. 

Beyond Diamond (D+, P...), I don't really care as we will already have the main perk we've looked forward to.

It's not work to jump on a 4 night cruise to get us to Diamond before our more substantial upcoming cruises.  There are some options for just over $1,100 total for a single occupancy JS.  I get to enjoy some time off, and my wife and son benefit as well going forward.

Dan

• Like 5

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

Dont wait too long. As I said I got there in sept but had to pay for dec b2b allure. Ourusualbeach who is a ta posted I couldnt apply the dp340 once I made final payment. I didnt know about that rule. 

That's why I pushed to get it sooner for next year. 

Yeah, I need to get something booked, so I can take advantage of it on future bookings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

That's not allowed on Cruise Critic, you must cruise and make your cruise choices based on the way others cruise.  Enjoy making Diamond, sounds like a fun way to achieve it!  If I book a JS suite as a solo on the Ultimate World Cruise with my existing points I'd make Pinnacle on July 18th 2024 in Portagul! Just sayin'

• Like 2
  • Haha 10

56 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

I don't care about status.  I do care about the 4 drinks per day, as we will use them all.  Drink prices have gone nuts on RCCL in my opinion.  It would nice to have that perk nailed down for cruises going forward.  We have one cruise booked already, and probably another, for summer next year. 

Beyond Diamond (D+, P...), I don't really care as we will already have the main perk we've looked forward to.

It's not work to jump on a 4 night cruise to get us to Diamond before our more substantial upcoming cruises.  There are some options for just over $1,100 total for a single occupancy JS.  I get to enjoy some time off, and my wife and son benefit as well going forward.

Dan

I like your plan. 

Diamond is where you get meaningful benefits.

Dont forget the free expresso in the diamond lounge.🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dan

1 hour ago, billslowsky said:

I agree, we booked a really cheap cruise to Canada to get to Diamond, we had Diamond status on our most recent.  With the 4 drinks per day and internet we paid for the prior cruise plus we enjoyed it.

The drink benefit all by itself is worth over $1100 per 7 day cruise if it keeps you from having to buy a drink package.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, JeffT237 said:

That's not allowed on Cruise Critic, you must cruise and make your cruise choices based on the way others cruise.  Enjoy making Diamond, sounds like a fun way to achieve it!  If I book a JS suite as a solo on the Ultimate World Cruise with my existing points I'd make Pinnacle on July 18th 2024 in Portagul! Just sayin'

Sold out of suites long ago. I'm doing solo for 548

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don’t let others bother you…..we flew to do a 3 nighter before a Med cruise to get to Diamond.  Of course flights were cheaper back then.  It was totally worth it cause we had fun on that 3 night cruise.  I haven’t been on a cruise yet that I would say “ it wasn’t worth it”.   On that Med cruise we were allowed in the suite lounge as Diamond.  We thought we were the bomb!  Lol.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

The drink benefit all by itself is worth over $1100 per 7 day cruise if it keeps you from having to buy a drink package.

Totally this.  My wife and I no longer buy the package.  We may buy a few coffees/smoothies/drinks here and there over our 5 each but it doesn't come anywhere near $1100....probably not even a quarter of it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

With the single penalty, it wouldn't cost much more to bring your wife along.  I get that you're "taking one for the team", and it makes sense financially ... but, if I were your wife, I'd want to go too.

2 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Now just how to figure out how to keep my daughters from getting jealous of their brother's Diamond status 

They're young adults with a lot more freedom than their brother.  If they chaffe at his "status", remind them of that.  

I don't care about status.  I do care about the 4 drinks per day, as we will use them all.  Drink prices have gone nuts on RCCL in my opinion. 

Yes, I'd like to get to Diamond for just that reason.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

8 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Sold out of suites long ago. I'm doing solo for 548

I'm aware, I heard they sold out in the first couple of days.  That's crazy, my post was just an attempt at humor, the price for that cruise especially as a solo in a suite is way out of my range. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

With the single penalty, it wouldn't cost much more to bring your wife along.  

They're young adults with a lot more freedom than their brother.  If they chaffe at his "status", remind them of that.  

Yes, I'd like to get to Diamond for just that reason.  

Good stuff.  🙂

Regarding my wife along, would love to but we would each only get 8 points then and not reach 80 total.  Suites get 2 points per night normally with double or more occupancy.  Solo in a suite gets 3 points per night, which is what I need on a 4 night to get the 12 total we need.

Kindly, Dan

• Like 3