Paper Diamond voucher receipts MUST be about tips

ggo85

1 hour ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

A lot times they just took cabin numbers  when sat down 

a number of times I would tell them I had soda package showing them my card and still would be charge a Diamond drink 

most of the time they didn’t take the card 

On our October Oasis sail, once the asst. Waiter saw the Sea Pass initially and determined out tier status, he never asked for our card again for the rest of the cruise.

We're on Jewel right now. Second leg of a b2b. We randomly get receipts. No rhyme or reason. I added a tip on one but it never appeared on our account. We're still just handing it directly to the waiter. Also no count shows up on receipts.

It has NOTHING to do with tips.  RCCL is supposed to be a "cashless" onboard experience.  They automatically attach a tip to all paid drinks.  They attach a tip to all drink packages.  If they expected a tip to be added to voucher drinks, they would merely automatically add a tip to all voucher drinks.  EASY.

But that is not it.  Here is the thing:  Their computers and/or their crew's tracking of the vouchers is often screwed up.  And, often, passengers end up lining up at Guest Relations to complain...and it takes a lot of crew time to straighten it out...and it ends up costing them BOTH in terms of employee time AND that they end up, in their mind, handing out extra vouchers.

They truly think it's the customers fault, not theirs.  Of course they are wrong.  We were on a recent cruise on Navigator where EVERY NIGHT, our voucher totals were mysteriously depleted...some nights even before we even ordered a single drink!  Obviously a computer glitch.  The other way people's vouchers disappear is that the servers only ask for a cabin number and some other passengers give them the wrong number...or they just put the wrong info in the system--so, someone else uses your voucher.

In either event, the only way to fix it is to go wait in line and let them look at your entries on the computer and count.  But, RCCL is convinced that it's not their fault but the fault of passengers losing track of what they've used or just hoping the system missed something to get more vouchers.  So, the brains in Miami tried to figure out a way that THEY COULD PROVE TO PASSENGERS that RCCL's count was right...and the customer is wrong.  For that, they would need real evidence that YOU used the voucher.  Just having the computer say the voucher is gone doesn't prove that.  So, they are looking for a system, that if operated properly, would result in them having a receipt for EACH VOUCHER used with a SIGNED signature line.  That would prove that 1)  the voucher WAS used and 2) that the person who used it WAS the customer charged...since the signature would match the one on file.

So, it's NOT designed so that YOU could track your vouchers...It is designed so that RCCL could have VALID EVIDENCE that it was YOU who used it.  It is a system designed to give THEM evidence against passenger error and/or fraud.  It ignores that the error is likely ON THEIR END...So, if your vouchers are depleted by their computer--like it was for us--you still have to go wait in line and deal with the hassle...

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

They'll charge drinks to random people's accounts even with a signed receipt. 

After 20+ cruises this has never happened to me.  Is this really a thing where they charge drinks to the wrong room?  

• Like 1

This system does seem to make it easier for the customer to prove that they hadn't ordered the drink(s).    If there was a way to lock our accounts to something like this, I'd do it.   

I'm thinking of Disney World's Magic Bands and pins.   You can charge stuff to your room using the magic band and you set up a PIN that has to be entered before stuff can be charged.   

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

After 20+ cruises this has never happened to me.  Is this really a thing where they charge drinks to the wrong room?  

Used to happen quite often when the refrigerators were stocked.

1 hour ago, DaKahuna said:

Over the years we have had several mystery charges on our bill…Drinks and bottles of wine when we were elsewhere or asleep.  

I would guess that some charges were entered by cabin number and the digits were transposed.  Perhaps in a busy venue like the MDR the staff just inadvertently put a drink on the wrong tab.

18 hours ago, GTO-Girl said:

It’s really funny that your account status is immediately available on the app as soon as a purchase is made and yet people cannot bother to check that to see how many drinks they have left….

9 hours ago, ramja96 said:

Is it really that difficult to count to 4 (or 6, or 8)??? The drinks aren't THAT strong.

This issue isn't the ability to count.  The issue, with us at least, is DH having the refreshment package and also being allotted five free D+ drinks.  When you look on the app and see zero for the various drinks, you can't tell which drinks are zero because they were part of the refreshment package or whether they are zero because they were free D+ drinks.  This becomes a problem when he gets charged for a cocktail because one of his coffees or sodas were zero for the wrong reason -- because they were charged as D+ instead of being charged as part of the refreshment package.

7 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I also had a soda package and a lot of times the would charge a soda as one of Diamond drink 

Also a friend was charge for a drink in the MDR , which she did not order anything 

Yes, this!

6 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

A lot times they just took cabin numbers  when sat down 

a number of times I would tell them I had soda package showing them my card and still would be charge a Diamond drink 

most of the time they didn’t take the card 

Yes, this!

4 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

It has NOTHING to do with tips.  RCCL is supposed to be a "cashless" onboard experience.  They automatically attach a tip to all paid drinks.  They attach a tip to all drink packages.  If they expected a tip to be added to voucher drinks, they would merely automatically add a tip to all voucher drinks.  EASY.

But that is not it.  Here is the thing:  Their computers and/or their crew's tracking of the vouchers is often screwed up.  And, often, passengers end up lining up at Guest Relations to complain...and it takes a lot of crew time to straighten it out...and it ends up costing them BOTH in terms of employee time AND that they end up, in their mind, handing out extra vouchers.

They truly think it's the customers fault, not theirs.  Of course they are wrong.  We were on a recent cruise on Navigator where EVERY NIGHT, our voucher totals were mysteriously depleted...some nights even before we even ordered a single drink!  Obviously a computer glitch.  The other way people's vouchers disappear is that the servers only ask for a cabin number and some other passengers give them the wrong number...or they just put the wrong info in the system--so, someone else uses your voucher.

In either event, the only way to fix it is to go wait in line and let them look at your entries on the computer and count.  But, RCCL is convinced that it's not their fault but the fault of passengers losing track of what they've used or just hoping the system missed something to get more vouchers.  So, the brains in Miami tried to figure out a way that THEY COULD PROVE TO PASSENGERS that RCCL's count was right...and the customer is wrong.  For that, they would need real evidence that YOU used the voucher.  Just having the computer say the voucher is gone doesn't prove that.  So, they are looking for a system, that if operated properly, would result in them having a receipt for EACH VOUCHER used with a SIGNED signature line.  That would prove that 1)  the voucher WAS used and 2) that the person who used it WAS the customer charged...since the signature would match the one on file.

So, it's NOT designed so that YOU could track your vouchers...It is designed so that RCCL could have VALID EVIDENCE that it was YOU who used it.  It is a system designed to give THEM evidence against passenger error and/or fraud.  It ignores that the error is likely ON THEIR END...So, if your vouchers are depleted by their computer--like it was for us--you still have to go wait in line and deal with the hassle...

You are so very sure of your arguments.  I would say two things to you:

1. Cruisers with voucher issues should use the Diamond Concierge, not Guest Services.  This solves one "problem".

2. I can tell you that on "that other social media site", quite a few people are very annoyed because if they are going to have to sign a receipt for each voucher, they won't be able to coax bartenders into giving them free drinks by offering tips.  QUITE A FEW.

10 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

2. I can tell you that on "that other social media site", quite a few people are very annoyed because if they are going to have to sign a receipt for each voucher, they won't be able to coax bartenders into giving them free drinks by offering tips.  QUITE A FEW

If they could bribe a bartender into free drinks before, this new policy wouldn't change that

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

1. Cruisers with voucher issues should use the Diamond Concierge, not Guest Services.  This solves one "problem".

NOPE.  When we were on Navigator having this problem every night, they NEVER even had anyone manning the "Diamond Concierge" desk.  They had very limited hours.  The ONLY place to go to address the issue was Guest Services.  I really wish it were easier.

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

2. I can tell you that on "that other social media site", quite a few people are very annoyed because if they are going to have to sign a receipt for each voucher, they won't be able to coax bartenders into giving them free drinks by offering tips.  QUITE A FEW.

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

If they could bribe a bartender into free drinks before, this new policy wouldn't change that

That’s what I’d think as well.  Also I would think over tipping and befriending a bartender might be more likely to garner more generous pours and exceptional service rather than free drinks.

19 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

That’s what I’d think as well.  Also I would think over tipping and befriending a bartender might be more likely to garner more generous pours and exceptional service rather than free drinks.

I've been seated at the bar many, many times and have never seen a 'more generous pour'. They measure each drink, even when they are slammed and in a hurry.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, flamingos said:

I've been seated at the bar many, many times and have never seen a 'more generous pour'. They measure each drink, even when they are slammed and in a hurry.

I’ve had many drinks poured without measuring. On the TA bringing the Symphony over for the first time, the lady bartender in The Attic (DL overflow) would fill my glass 3/4ths full of gin and dump in a splash of tonic. Had me stumbling. 

I just got off the Adventure last Thursday in a suite and the suite drinks all showed up 0.00 just like the voucher drinks which caused confusion trying to distinguish between the two. This caused me to have to ask how many vouchers I had left a few times. 

They could eliminate this confusion by coding the entries on the app, i.e.;

SL for Suite drink;

V for Voucher;

DP for Drink Pkg;

RR for Refreshment pkg; 

SO for Soda pkg. 

This would be better than signing receipts IMO. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, flamingos said:

I’ve had many a bartender pour into the jigger & then continue pouring as they dump it in the glass.  Not always & not every bar but certainly often enough to notice.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pcur said:

This is such a moot point to me, because I tip in cash when I order my vouchered drinks.  I start off the day with enough tip money for my 6 beverages, and when the money is gone, the vouchers have been used.  I've been doing this since they first started the vouchers.

I didn’t know counting to 6 was so hard

1 hour ago, flamingos said:

We mostly drink wine.  We were at the pub on a recent Mariner cruise, when a nice older lady approached, called a bartender by name, chatted and cooed; she walked away with a larger pour of white wine than DH or I ever got at the pub (we tip).  It is not that we need generous pours; we generally rarely use all our vouchers (unless I use extras to stock the cabin with soft drinks/water).

On Harmony in DL a waiter once gave me a more generous pour of wine. I don’t know why…maybe the end if the bottle.  The couple at the next table noticed, laughed and asked the waiter if they could get a pour like that. The four of us reminisced about generous pours in DL in by gone days while waiter got them generous pours, too.  The DL was not busy then or he’d have needed to nip that in the bud.

Edited by Starry Eyes

2 hours ago, poocher said:

I’ve had many a bartender pour into the jigger & then continue pouring as they dump it in the glass.  Not always & not every bar but certainly often enough to notice.

I have had this happen lots! But I'm a good tipper so that might account for it.

12 hours ago, topnole said:

How is that possible for your friend?   They would need her card to charge the drink?   Right?   If she didn’t order one, why did they have her card?

Sometimes in the MDR they'll just ask for your room number and inputting mistakes can happen.  The drink was probably ordered by some other random person and put on the wrong account in error.