Advice for all first time Celebrity cruisers

WestLakeGirl

On 11/15/2022 at 9:57 AM, cruisestitch said:

I’ll play

Shoes are required in the OceanView Cafe

Don’t leave room service trays in the passageways because it’s hard to move scooters and housekeeping buggies past them

if you find a duck don’t take it to lost and found.  Either keep it or hide it somewhere else

S_O_L_A_S  Safety of life at sea is maritine law.  In an emergency, trays in hallways is likely to cause injuries and many cuts from your broken glass dishes.

Be considerate.  Obey the law. Call your steward to pick up you dishes from your room.

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2022 at 4:59 PM, helen haywood said:

It’s not just tunnel vision.  I had a stress fracture and rented a scooter once…I could be first in the elevator area…people would come along after me…and rush past me…filling up the elevator!!  It was very depressing.  I was glad I only needed the scooter temporarily.

Helen,

Unfortunately I need my scooter full time and I've seen my share of the bullies too.

If there's time, I just tell them to go ahead and I'll take the stairs.  Some understand the comment but many, surprisingly don't get it.  The epitome of ignorance or indifference.

1 hour ago, 1980dory said:

Helen,

Unfortunately I need my scooter full time and I've seen my share of the bullies too.

If there's time, I just tell them to go ahead and I'll take the stairs.  Some understand the comment but many, surprisingly don't get it.  The epitome of ignorance or indifference.

And I've experienced my fair share of entitled/inconsiderate scooter people. The epitome of ignorance or indifference.

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1980dory said:

Helen,

I'm sorry you get treated that way. Ableism is alive and so well, it's immortal. 

What annoys me is those that work hard on their walking / running stint and the next time I see them they are clearly trying to break some beer drinking record, doesn’t that defeat the object? The person in question (my husband) even suggests stopping off at the mast bar every other lap for refreshments his argument being they stop for drinks when running marathons 🙈

• Haha 1

On 11/15/2022 at 9:58 AM, WestLakeGirl said:

Based on observations from recent cruises on M and S class ships😀

may not be relevant to other cruise lines or e class ships

please let people OFF the elevator before you start to get ON

OCCUPIED stalls in the restroom have red showing on the locks

elevator “dings” tell you which way the elevator is going — 1 ding for up, 2 dings for down

also the elevators have arrows showing you which way they are going

the Cafe al Bacio has table service.   Form a line (queue) for takeaway

if the stanchions are up, they aren’t ready to start serving lunch so don’t climb under them

don’t shout out answers in trivia or sing out answers in music trivia — it’s a game!

don’t use your phones in trivia even if the host forgets to tell you not to

no smoking inside includes e-cigarettes

🤣

Edited by Arzeena

On 11/15/2022 at 10:56 AM, TeaBag said:

Love when an elevator is full and when it stops, more people try to jam in.  Can they not wait for the next one?

Conversely, there is room for more but people stand at the front to block anyone getting on.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, davekathy said:

And I've experienced my fair share of entitled/inconsiderate scooter people. The epitome of ignorance or indifference.

oh yes!  We, along with 2 other couples had been waiting a while for the elevator . Just as the doors opened ( empty) a voice from behind us yells " move . wheelchair coming" Suddenly the scooter zooms in and she yells " sorry full , you will have to wait for another one"  All of us piled in and she was pissed! She said that we would be in the way of her getting out..lol.  We took out time getting out of  her way at her stop of course

• Like 4

3 hours ago, gold1953 said:

oh yes!  We, along with 2 other couples had been waiting a while for the elevator . Just as the doors opened ( empty) a voice from behind us yells " move . wheelchair coming" Suddenly the scooter zooms in and she yells " sorry full , you will have to wait for another one"  All of us piled in and she was pissed! She said that we would be in the way of her getting out..lol.  We took out time getting out of  her way at her stop of course

Was she in a scooter from a war injury or because she had an unhealthy addiction to food?

On 11/15/2022 at 6:51 PM, MamaFej said:

It always astonishes me (though it really shouldn't anymore) how many people get to the front of the line, then seem perplexed by the process and behave as if they've never been in a security queue in their entire lives, including the previous 9 days on a cruise that they probably had to fly to get to.

Even better, you have elderly people in their 60s or 70s standing in a queue for Costco and then get to the register and fumble for 60sec trying to find their membership card so the cashier can begin ringing them up.

On 11/16/2022 at 9:34 AM, Pinboy said:

LOL-- THE best tip IMO--- (From Experience--- NO exaggerations)

Be Ware of the 5 minute FREE massage at the Spa--- Trust me--- It's NOT going to be FREE--

By the time she is "finished" with you your onboard account will have grown by $357 ( that was the ''Special" she was " permitted " to offer me).

( I explained the whole " process " in another post a few days ago ).

The worst part for me was when " You Know Who " found out about the $ 357, and the Exclusive to Celebrity crap she sold me ---and, bye the way--- even I don't think I look 30 yrs younger.

The amount of overpriced upcharges and upselling on everything in the spa would not allow me to ever comfortably enjoy the experience.

46 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

The amount of overpriced upcharges and upselling on everything in the spa would not allow me to ever comfortably enjoy the experience.

Trust me-- She would not only have you comfortable in about 3 minutes and 60 seconds, she would also scare the xxxx out of you when she " asks ", oops, tells you about your back, legs, neck, etc.

IF you are as " lucky " (?) as I was , she will sell (!!!) you a bag full of Exclusive to Celebrity products-------at a reduced price.

Here's a hint----- Don't fall for the " You will look 30 yrs younger " line.

1 hour ago, Mike07 said:

Even better, you have elderly people in their 60s or 70s standing in a queue for Costco and then get to the register and fumble for 60sec trying to find their membership card so the cashier can begin ringing them up.

I don't consider 60's as elderly.😀

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike07 said:

you are kidding ????  elderly is not 60's or 70's.. try 90's

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mike07 said:

That behavior is hardly confined to folks in their 60s or 70s...

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I don't consider 60's as elderly.😀

🙂 The answer to this question depends upon the age of whom you are asking.

When I was in my mid 40s my kids thought that I was ancient. 🙂

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Haha 1

My comment was not intended to cause offense or debate on what age "elderly" is.

I was on the Apex up in the buffet area where they have the dessert island... it was a busy day, and there was maybe a 7 minute, ten person line to get stuff. You'd be amazed at how many people would be standing in line the whole time... aloof to what is going on and about to happen... and go up to the counter and then ponder and have internal debates in their head about what desserts they want....

Edited by Mike07

5 hours ago, gold1953 said:

Setting aside this person's apparent rudeness, people with special needs are shown very little respect or compassion at cruise ship elevator banks.   My rule, and I would be in the minority, is to give them preference.  

Whether she was a jerk or not, purposely blocking a disabled person isn't something I would proudly share.  

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Setting aside this person's apparent rudeness, people with special needs are shown very little respect or compassion at cruise ship elevator banks.   My rule, and I would be in the minority, is to give them preference.  

Whether she was a jerk or not, purposely blocking a disabled person isn't something I would proudly share.  

I did not say that we blocked her! we moved after the door was fully opened and she said " excuse me , my floor" Respect goes both ways

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1