Advice for all first time Celebrity cruisers

WestLakeGirl

19 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

3)  Drink/Internet packages or upgrades are prorated by night, while you miss out on the preboard discount, you can still save a bundle if you wait a few nights to upgrade or add an additional internet device

On a related note, I'll share something I saw on my recent Millennium cruise... on day 5, they offered 24 hours of premium Internet for the usual rate ($50, minus status discounts) plus a bonus of 24 hours for free.  That was better than the per day rate for buying the package onboard ($30).  I hadn't heard chatter about it previously, so I don't know if this is something new or not.  But I think it's something to look out for if you can meter your Internet access appropriately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ScottC4746 said:

1. Don't be a table hog in the Ocean Cafe.  It's okay to hold a table while the rest of your party is grazing through the buffet, but don't sit and read while having coffee.  

Don't sit and read while having coffee!!!

This statement has me scratching my head. So if I grab my book and head up to the buffet for a cup of coffee, what am I suppose to do?

Belly up to the coffee bar and toss back my coffee while reading the book (modified Italian style)?

Wander through the buffet reading while sipping my coffee?

Or is the act of reading a book that is so horrifying  Would staring at a cell phone be better?

Please explain why sitting at a table drinking coffee while engaging in a second activity is so wrong.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Homosassa said:

Don't sit and read while having coffee!!!

This statement has me scratching my head. So if I grab my book and head up to the buffet for a cup of coffee, what am I suppose to do?

You know what I mean...camped out all day just to drink coffee and read.

NOT Celebrity specific: Please do not wait until you are all the way to the conveyer belt to even start getting ready for security screening. While in line, toss your phone, smart watch, etc. into your bag, or into your upside-down hat (yes, you need to take it off, just like you did last time, and the time before that, and the time before that) and be ready to plop stuff on to the belt when you get there. Your upside-down hat will set into the provided bowl quite nicely. 

It always astonishes me (though it really shouldn't anymore) how many people get to the front of the line, then seem perplexed by the process and behave as if they've never been in a security queue in their entire lives, including the previous 9 days on a cruise that they probably had to fly to get to.

- - - - - - -

Celebrity specific: say hello to crew and fellow passengers. One of the many things I love about Celebrity is how friendly (nearly) eneryone is. It is extremely rare to pass by a crew member without a friendly greeting. "Good morning," "Good afternoon," whatever. It's always lovely for us, and doesn't consistently happen on every line. 

• Like 9

6 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

This has always been my theory.

Same with the "one bell up, two down". It is the same on all cruise ship elevators, always has been.

Just pay attention, people. Listen for the dings, or look at the arrow.

No need to ask "going up?" every time the elevator door opens. 

On the other hand, it takes no effort for me to answer someone if they ask, "Going up?", so I don't let it bother me.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, ShelleyQT said:

On the other hand, it takes no effort for me to answer someone if they ask, "Going up?", so I don't let it bother me.

OMG this!!

Not an elevator, but on the subway the other day someone was asking where they could catch another line into Manhattan. It would have been VERY simple to just say "Transfer at Hoyt-Schermerhorn" (which I would have but I had laryngitis and NO voice) but some charmer on the other side pointed to the illuminated line along the top and said "Look at that. It'll tell you where all the transfer points are." The poor guy who asked was still so confused two stops later when I was getting off (my first of two possibilities, so no biggie if I missed), I pointed at Hoyt-Schermerhorn and where it said "A C" below it. I don't know why some people think being complicated is the way to be.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Alakegirl said:

Another Celebrity tip

LOL-- THE best tip IMO--- (From Experience--- NO exaggerations)

Be Ware of the 5 minute FREE massage at the Spa--- Trust me--- It's NOT going to be FREE--

By the time she is "finished" with you your onboard account will have grown by $357 ( that was the ''Special" she was " permitted " to offer me).

( I explained the whole " process " in another post a few days ago ).

The worst part for me was when " You Know Who " found out about the $ 357, and the Exclusive to Celebrity crap she sold me ---and, bye the way--- even I don't think I look 30 yrs younger.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Be Ware of the 5 minute FREE massage at the Spa--- Trust me--- It's NOT going to be FREE--

By the time she is "finished" with you your onboard account will have grown by $357 ( that was the ''Special" she was " permitted " to offer me).

The worst part for me was when " You Know Who " found out about the $ 357, and the Exclusive to Celebrity crap she sold me ---and, bye the way--- even I don't think I look 30 yrs younger.

Called the Spa Treatment.:classic_rolleyes:

Another good reason why I never get the spa treatment. 

Back on topic...wipe down the gym equipment after using it. Also before because you don't know if the person before you wiped it down after using the equipment. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Another good reason why I never get the spa treatment.

LOL--How was I supposed to know my back muscles were xxx ,  and my shoulders felt xxx---etc, etc.

She said I was lucky ( ??? ) she noticed it and was " permitted " to give me a discount---

(I have a " feeling " that 38 other people had the same " symptoms " as I on the cruise----- and, received the same " discount ").

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

I ger the free 5 minutes every cruise and walk away!  FREE

26 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

I ger the free 5 minutes every cruise and walk away!  FREE

LOL---

Ya mean she "let you go " without "Fixin" your back, your shoulders, your legs, your left foot, your neck and didn't tell you " I WILL make you look 30 yrs younger and we have a " Special " for this cruise on our Exclusive to Celebrity spa products "???

Sorry to hear that-- Look what you missed-----er, saved !!

Are you Sid Crosby ??

It's the card players in the Spa Cafe that bother me.  There are only about 10 tables and I have been there at lunch time when at least 2 of them were occupied by card players.  i don't know why there isn't a sign telling them that they are welcome to play cards after 2:30 when the cafe closes.

• Like 3

I don't play cards but reading this thread has sparked my curiosity. I now know where card players should NOT be playing cards, but where should they be playing cards? That would be more suited (pardon the pun) for this thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichYak said:

I don't play cards but reading this thread has sparked my curiosity. I now know where card players should NOT be playing cards, but where should they be playing cards? That would be more suited (pardon the pun) for this thread.

On the Constellation TA, the upper level of the main dining room was available every day from 10-4 for card and game players. It was in the daily program.

Not sure that's an every cruise thing, but it might be.

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

On the Constellation TA, the upper level of the main dining room was available every day from 10-4 for card and game players. It was in the daily program.

Not sure that's an every cruise thing, but it might be.

I've seen similar entries in the daily programs for other cruise lines...promptly ignored by many patrons there also...

4 hours ago, RichYak said:

On an ironic note, there used to be a card room on the M class ships by Cafe Al Bacio, but they took them out for more seating. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Wow, now I don't feel so bad, as I was only hit for ~$100. I will show this to my husband so he knows I got off easy 🤪

On 11/15/2022 at 1:56 PM, TeaBag said:

Totally agree.  People have become thoughtless.  We always seem to have a cabin next to a door slammer.  We have put notes on their door.

Love when an elevator is full and when it stops, more people try to jam in.  Can they not wait for the next one?

Thanks for starting this thread WestLakeGirl.

This...people packing the elevators so much that I feel like I have just been sexually assaulted by the people around me. If people are actually touching then there are too many people in the elevator. I solve this by taking the stairs 95% of the time.

• Like 1

Wow! Being subjected to an overcrowded elevator is the same as being a vicitim of sexual assault?

I sincerely hope you never have to find out just how incredibly wrong this is, nor how incredibly hurtful it is to actual sexual assault survivors. 

• Like 5