Flu around the ships--Nieuw Amsterdam

12cruise2

I just wanted to let everyone know that the flu is very apparent and going around on the ship(s).  My DH got it and we DID see medical on board week before last, got antibiotics for his flu/lung congestion plus tests, etc. and follow up.  As the doctor pointed out, just dayquil and nightquil aren't enough for most flus this fall; problem is with just taking those meds, you remain contagious and give it to the rest of the passengers per him, plus one may not realize the pneumonia you get with it. (I'm not going to keep getting back on this thread with everyone and their opinions.)

The flu this fall is more serious per the doctor on board; now all crew members have to mask starting a few days ago.  One fellow passenger, who told me she was on for 7 weeks total, has been self-treating and has serious lung congestion and is around the ship coughing up a storm.  Apparently refuses to go to the doctor.

So, again, this is a heads up to be aware; bring lots of masks and use them as about 1% of passengers are following the suggestion to wear them on all the ships, basically.

Edited by 12cruise2
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, 12cruise2 said:

I just wanted to let everyone know that the flu is very apparent and going around on the ship(s).  My DH got it and we DID see medical on board week before last, got antibiotics for his flu/lung congestion plus tests, etc. and follow up.  As the doctor pointed out, just dayquil and nightquil aren't enough for most flus this fall; problem is with just taking those meds, you remain contagious and give it to the rest of the passengers per him, plus one may not realize the pneumonia you get with it. (I'm not going to keep getting back on this thread with everyone and their opinions.)

The flu this fall is more serious per the doctor on board; now all crew members have to mask starting a few days ago.  One fellow passenger, who told me she was on for 7 weeks total, has been self-treating and has serious lung congestion and is around the ship coughing up a storm.  Apparently refuses to go to the doctor.

So, again, this is a heads up to be aware; bring lots of masks and use them as about 1% of passengers are following the suggestion to wear them on all the ships, basically.

I assume you got your flu shot.

• Like 5

US Flu map from last week.   If you don't get it  at home you may get it staying at the ports.  Mask up if you are in crowds.  I have no idea how effective our flu vaccine is this year.  Looking at this I would say not too effective to prevent illness but perhaps preventing severe illness. 

image.thumb.png.6c68a223da35074789e1bc2fb379e371.png

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ottahand7 said:

US Flu map from last week.   If you don't get it  at home you may get it staying at the ports.  Mask up if you are in crowds.  I have no idea how effective our flu vaccine is this year.  Looking at this I would say not too effective to prevent illness but perhaps preventing severe illness. 

image.thumb.png.6c68a223da35074789e1bc2fb379e371.png

It was pretty bad in the southern hemisphere for their winter this year so I guess it's our turn.  Remember, they get winter before we do so flu there can be indicative of what we'll get.  Wash those hands!  For me, I'll be washing and wearing a mask.  Still.....don't want Flu OR Covid.  Masks don't bother me that much and if they can prevent this for me?  Yep, I'm all for it.  Also vaccinated up to the most recent, targeted, booster. 

Linda R.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You put yourself at risk just going out of your house.  Flu, colds, covid, not to mention other viruses.  I could just stay home but that would get boring and then I'd have nothing to talk about. Travel has a way of lighting up my world.

• Like 10

Last night on our local news they said we have the perfect "trifecta" of Covid, flu, and RSV in our area right now.

Pretty sure I had RSV about a month ago and it was no picnic, though I never felt in serious danger. Sapped all my energy and made me hoarse for about 3 weeks though.  

Yes, of course we got our flu shots.  I'm writing to be sure that those who are headed on longer cruises are prepared to deal with serious flu, depending on one's health and pre-existing conditions.  Treating oneself alone probably is not enough, and by doing that, you are also exposing others around the ship to the flu, needlessly.   

• Like 2

We were Onboard  the NA when the Captain made the announcement the Crew would no longer be required to wear Masks.  It lasted two days when they were told to wear them again.  This was in October for the PC Transit and they wore them all the way to Port Everglades.  The Flu was going around on that Cruise and towards the end we could hear so many coughing around the Ship. 

This is Flu and Cold Season and it's on land so it's going to be on the Ships, too.

• Like 2

Yep I am on the NA right now. Ever single crew/staff member has an N95 mask on. I am masked up indoors. 

One of the shoppies told me he had the flu and was quarantined for 2.days. he also told me he lied to say he felt well so he could go back to make commission $.

I have had my flu and 4th covid shot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, sun~ said:

One of the shoppies told me he had the flu and was quarantined for 2.days. he also told me he lied to say he felt well so he could go back to make commission $.

And that's the type of selfishness that's spreads every type of virus imaginable!  Shame on that employee!!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, julia said:

And that's the type of selfishness that's spreads every type of virus imaginable!  Shame on that employee!!

I wouldn't be so quick to judge someone on a commission only job. If they are treated like the spa personal they could be cut lose at any time and kicked off the ship at the next turn around day if their sales are suffering comparted to their colleagues.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, idiebabe said:

We were Onboard  the NA when the Captain made the announcement the Crew would no longer be required to wear Masks.  It lasted two days when they were told to wear them again.  This was in October for the PC Transit and they wore them all the way to Port Everglades.  The Flu was going around on that Cruise and towards the end we could hear so many coughing around the Ship. 

This is Flu and Cold Season and it's on land so it's going to be on the Ships, too.

Interesting.  Our cruise to Hawaii on the Nieuw Amsterdam in October had the crew fully masked. Captain's decision? 

12 minutes ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Interesting.  Our cruise to Hawaii on the Nieuw Amsterdam in October had the crew fully masked. Captain's decision? 

The captain always has latitude to make health decisions.  In the past they could quarantine people or change food serving protocols.  The mask option is new with Covid and I await to see what happens with that after March 31 when the current Covid policies expire.  

8 minutes ago, uncleboo said:

I feel the cruise line and ship have a responsibility to come out ahead of the o cruise and let the future passengers know what is going on and share how many people have been coming down with covid

Well, they are not going to do that anymore than your local restaurants are going to tell you how many people came in ill or left ill.  That is an unrealistic expectation.  It is time we start reevaluating our expectations of the cruise line’s responsibility to us.   They are transportation, lodging and restaurant, they are not a nursing home or hospital and have no more responsibility to us than Marriott, Hilton, American Airlines or Starbucks.  

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

Yes, Captain’s decision to have them put the Mask back on.  They were so happy to have them off for the two days.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, uncleboo said:

I feel the cruise line and ship have a responsibility to come out ahead of the o cruise and let the future passengers know what is going on and share how many people have been coming down with covid

+1. It would be the moral thing to do, particularly since flu and RSV are circulating at the same time.

It is unfortunate that the cruise industry chooses to drop all protocols, and hit the pax with masks and tests when they sail. 😒

Edited by HappyInVan
  • Like 2

I have had my four Covid shots and a flu vaccine but will still bring masks. We had a room steward that was sick and within a few days, everyone in his section of cabins was very sick. Not fun. I bring things like cough drops for my own comfort, not to hide an illness. I know which drops work that I like and which sinus meds work. Hope everyone stays healthy.

Linda R. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Well, they are not going to do that anymore than your local restaurants are going to tell you how many people came in ill or left ill.  That is an unrealistic expectation.  It is time we start reevaluating our expectations of the cruise line’s responsibility to us.   They are transportation, lodging and restaurant, they are not a nursing home or hospital and have no more responsibility to us than Marriott, Hilton, American Airlines or Starbucks.  

As usual spot on!

• Like 4

On 12/1/2022 at 4:18 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Perfectly reflective of what is going on all around the US. Surprise.

Worldwide. Viruses don’t respect borders. Just returned from a month overseas and it seemed like there were sick people everywhere. DH caught the nasty RSV and battled it for 3 weeks of our vacation. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him so sick.

Was on the Statendam Nov. 12-19 and a few days after arriving home, I had the flu.  I am still sick with it.  And yes, I've had my flu shot (the high does one as I am over 65).  I suspect it was picked up in the airport in Lauderdale because it was full of unmasked (we were masked) sneezing, snorting, coughing people.

20 hours ago, lindaler said:

I have had my four Covid shots and a flu vaccine but will still bring masks. We had a room steward that was sick and within a few days, everyone in his section of cabins was very sick. Not fun. I bring things like cough drops for my own comfort, not to hide an illness. I know which drops work that I like and which sinus meds work. Hope everyone stays healthy.

Linda R. 

Frankly.  I would have asked for another steward.  That is completely unacceptable.