Taxi from Lauderdale cruiseport to airport

hobbyfarmer2

Four of us took a minivan cab from the cruiseport to the airport on Tuesday last.  BiL paid the fare on this short trip and it looked like a big bill to me from several feet away where i was wrestling bags.  Asked and he said the meter showed $440.50 (yes $440+).  The driver said it was a meter mistake and to give him $40.  Seems to me I paid about $15 + tip in for DW and I in Dec 2019 when we last cruised.  Has something changed with fares or was there an "irregularity" of some type?

Edited by hobbyfarmer2
spelling

1 hour ago, darinscruising said:

I just got off the enchanted princess on Dec 19th, 2022. Went from cruise terminal to fll airport. The meter said $14.46. Gave him a 20 and called it good.

Please re check your date.  I think you mean Nov. 19th, 2022.

I don't know if a minivan for four plus luggage is higher.

But.  Yes, the broken meter, or 'only take cash', thing are all to common.

My husband didn't know, on our last cruise pre-covid.   I was not specific enough to go over this with him, so when we get to the airport, it was "$25.00 cash".  

I think it is harder for the drivers to rig the system if they don't use a card. 

Driver got a very very generous tip!!!! 

He did get us to the airport and right up to the correct gate in very quick efficient time.  But....

Edited by Wishing on a star

Thanks!  And, I see a mistake in my post, as it should say "harder to rig the system if they use a card". 

And Voyager is right...  I explained all of this to my husband.  And, the driver did not seem to be from this country, and barely spoke English.   I had said, you don't have to leave the country!

Too late for the person that posted this as they’ve already taken their taxi ride. But that’s why you should consider  a ride share like Lyft/ Uber  and you know before you even take the ride how much the price is.Or for a future taxi riders ask before you get in the car how much the taxi ride will be approximately .

But most vehicles nowadays don’t hold four people ,plus luggage .the original poster had a minivan for four people and luggage ,$40 doesn’t sound too bad even though airport to cruise terminal is a very short ride in Ft. Lauderdale.

To the original poster I’d say the $15 plus tip that you and your wife took back in  2019 was probably a car and not a minivan and supply and demand and inflation is probably the change along with you doubled the amount of people in the vehicle.

Edited by arizonaperson

13 minutes ago, arizonaperson said:

To the original poster I’d say the $15 plus tip that you and your wife took back in  2019 was probably a car and not a minivan and supply and demand and inflation is probably the change along with you doubled the amount of people in the vehicle.

Metered taxi fares in Fort Lauderdale are the same for taxi cars and taxi mini-vans.

And $40 for the ten minute ride is a big rip-off.

• Like 2

Tue Nov 29 2022: $15 fare plus $5 tip (told him to run the meter) (Enchanted princess to FLL terminal 4 for Spirit), minivan, 3 people.

2019: the taxi driver didn't run the meter and requested $50 upon arrival. I paid, but was very upset, because I knew it was supposed to be $20-25.

By law they must run a meter. Stick to it.

The bigger ripoff was a taxi from FLL to Crowne Plaza - $25 (literally a couple of blocks), no meter, but we were tired and upset that Crowne Plaza shuttle didn't show after 1.5 hours of waiting, so we didn't care.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

18 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

My husband didn't know, on our last cruise pre-covid.   I was not specific enough to go over this with him, so when we get to the airport, it was "$25.00 cash".

it's totally possible with the meter - depending on the airport and port terminal locations, our METERED fares ranged from $15 to $23, plus a separate tip.

14 hours ago, LeeW said:

Interesting.  In Fort Lauderdale in October and all the taxis we took had a big sticker on the side window indicating the fixed price for trips to and from airport or cruise port.

What were the prices that were listed?

Off of Beyond on November 4, and got. Taxi, mini-van, that was accessible for my wife’s wheelchair and the metered fare was $19 and a $6 tip. Slightly higher then in the past, but it still reasonable. Always have the driver turn on the meter or ask if it’s still $20!

Hal

We've taken a taxi from the Fort Lauderdale airport to the cruise ship port (and vice versa) many times, including last month.   On nearly all our taxi rides, the drivers did not want to take a credit card and will say that their credit card machine is broken.   If you tell them all you have it a credit card, they will miraculously fix the credit card machine.   I know that the ride should cost about $15 (rates are posted on the taxi window).   I ask the driver how much the ride is and it's been anywhere from $20-30.   I tell them I have a $20 bill.  Period.  Take it or leave it.   They always take it. 

At broward.org, it says:

Taxi Service 

Taxi cabs charge an estimated $18-$21  based on the meter reading. Cabs accept up to five people for the fare stated on the taxi’s meter. They accept cash or credit cards. Taxi rates are subject to change due to the current fuel surcharge.  Please note: Taxi fares are regulated by law in Broward County.

44 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

We've taken a taxi from the Fort Lauderdale airport to the cruise ship port (and vice versa) many times, including last month.   On nearly all our taxi rides, the drivers did not want to take a credit card and will say that their credit card machine is broken.   If you tell them all you have it a credit card, they will miraculously fix the credit card machine.   I know that the ride should cost about $15 (rates are posted on the taxi window).   I ask the driver how much the ride is and it's been anywhere from $20-30.   I tell them I have a $20 bill.  Period.  Take it or leave it.   They always take it. 

That happened to us on Friday.  We only had a credit card and that truly annoyed the cab driver.  Takes too much time and I have to call Administration he said.  Well, we had no American cash so we took the time.  Then he told DH to just round up to $25.00 to save time.  We took our time and the cost was just over $15.00.  Just a touch of larceny?  LOL