Passengers have to use saliva contaminated drink dispensers in Majestic Princess buffet.

bedrick

Passengers are frequently filling their private drinking bottles and flasks, that have been used by them and are therefore contaminated with their saliva,  by pressing them against the nozzles on the drink dispensers.  Anyone using the dispensers is likely to get a dose of someone else’s saliva in their beverage.  This disgusting practice was banned on other lines years ago to prevent spread of disease long before covid.  No wonder Majestic Princess has had so many covid cases.  I have reported this poor practice to the management.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bedrick said:

Passengers are frequently filling their private drinking bottles and flasks, that have been used by them and are therefore contaminated with their saliva,  by pressing them against the nozzles on the drink dispensers.  Anyone using the dispensers is likely to get a dose of someone else’s saliva in their beverage.  This disgusting practice was banned on other lines years ago to prevent spread of disease long before covid.  No wonder Majestic Princess has had so many covid cases.  I have reported this poor practice to the management.

Actually your not supposed too, there use to be a sign not to fill bottles from the dispenser, would be surprised if they have been removed.

I think people use them for the chilled water, but the same can be achieved, by filling in your cabin and leaving the bottle over night in your fridge.

• Like 3

Yes, as far as I know it has been banned (and ignored) for many years. It gets down to the people not doing the right thing and staff being unwilling to enforce rules. (I can understand their reluctance following the responses from some re masks, vaccinations etc)

I always thought that the bathroom water was not drinking quality?

we fill a glass from the dispenser and then transfer that into our bottle but  quite often we just by a bottle of water when we reach a port..,usually not expensive!

Just now, Cruisers47 said:

we fill a glass from the dispenser and then transfer that into our bottle but  quite often we just by a bottle of water when we reach a port..,usually not expensive!

The bathroom tap water is definitely drinking quality.

• Like 3

Just another general yuk, much like the non-washing of hands before touching all the spoons and tongs in the buffet.

Another plus to getting bottled water included on the drinks package.

It is the same around water fountains in workplaces, and something I have long been wary about.

For anyone concerned about the taste of cabin water, the Brita water bottles are awesome.

• Like 2

Agree. A concern and no longer any signs. You would think people would be bright enough to take a clean glass or cup and use that to transfer water to water bottles.  They need new signs for those that cannot think.

We never buy water in plastic - enough plastic in this world.  But some Princess ships overseas are starting to install water filling stations (like a vending machine size) where you refill your own bottles with filtered water free (hopefully hygienic design). An environmental measure to cut down on plastic bottles.

We used to drink water from cabin taps but now tastes more chlorinated than earlier years (could it used to be filtered?) It would definitely be safe to drink if you don't mind drinking chlorine.

1 hour ago, Ozwoody said:

Actually your not supposed too, there use to be a sign not to fill bottles from the dispenser, would be surprised if they have been removed.

I think people use them for the chilled water, but the same can be achieved, by filling in your cabin and leaving the bottle over night in your fridge.

This is the only ship I have been on that does not have signs asking people to use clean glasses/cups provided to fill their bottles.  Staff watch passengers filling their own used containers directly from the dispensers and say nothing.  No signs at all.  

I am surprised at the OP comments  we left Majestic last week and never were anyone allowed near the self service tea and coffee machines   we always had to have a server do the necessary  even mixing my coffee tubes I bring  I also noted they filled cruisers flasks for them by using cups as a half way container     How can this have changed so quickly??

1 hour ago, Tripmode33 said:

Agree. A concern and no longer any signs. You would think people would be bright enough to take a clean glass or cup and use that to transfer water to water bottles.  They need new signs for those that cannot think.

We never buy water in plastic - enough plastic in this world.  But some Princess ships overseas are starting to install water filling stations (like a vending machine size) where you refill your own bottles with filtered water free (hopefully hygienic design). An environmental measure to cut down on plastic bottles.

We used to drink water from cabin taps but now tastes more chlorinated than earlier years (could it used to be filtered?) It would definitely be safe to drink if you don't mind drinking chlorine.

It might be slightly more chlorinated than in the past. They have to add the chlorine to kerp the ship's water supply pipes healthy. I've had iissues with the chlorine taste for years.

On our last few cruises we've had the drinks package so just got bottled water onboard. It does annoy me that they only allow the small bottles under the package though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, windsor26 said:

I am surprised at the OP comments  we left Majestic last week and never were anyone allowed near the self service tea and coffee machines   we always had to have a server do the necessary  even mixing my coffee tubes I bring  I also noted they filled cruisers flasks for them by using cups as a half way container     How can this have changed so quickly??

we were on the cruise to New Zealand on 25/11/22 too.  The NZ Cruise had 990 passengers this one has about 3200 - a completely different experience.  Different demographic as well.  Lots more younger people with and without children .  Children allowed to run riot in the Hollywood Club driving out passengers who want to enjoy a peaceful experience taking in the scenery.  Poor staff cannot possibly provide the same level of service with so many passengers.

4 hours ago, Cruisers47 said:

It's the same water as we drink chilled at meal times & our ice cubes are made from.

52 minutes ago, bedrick said:

we were on the cruise to New Zealand on 25/11/22 too.  The NZ Cruise had 990 passengers this one has about 3200 - a completely different experience.  Different demographic as well.  Lots more younger people with and without children .  Children allowed to run riot in the Hollywood Club driving out passengers who want to enjoy a peaceful experience taking in the scenery.  Poor staff cannot possibly provide the same level of service with so many passengers.

The NZ cruise was the one we were on and it was a full ship not just 900 passengers  I am not sure where you got that number from  The Captain advised a ship complement of passengers of 3280

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It might be slightly more chlorinated than in the past. They have to add the chlorine to kerp the ship's water supply pipes healthy. I've had iissues with the chlorine taste for years.

I have never noticed a chlorine taste from ships' water. If you notice chlorine leave your filled water bottle uncapped overnight either in open air or fridge and chlorine will be gone by morning.

Ship water is desalinated sea water and is also filtered, usually by reverse osmosis.

We take one of those water filter jugs with us and fill from the tap in the bathroom.  Once it's filtered through to the jug we just fill our Tupperware bottles via that.  Viola!  Fresh filtered water with no icky contaminants.