Arvia's arrival

molecrochip

We've now been on Iona twice.  Once for a week and again for two weeks.  Although I prefer smaller ships, I like Iona.  A good range of places to eat and drink.  No future bookings on either Iona or Arvia, but that's down to itineries.  If a good deal pops up, would certainly consider it.

48 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

Rock bottom prices and generous obc in order to fill the large ships, and more expensive cruises on smaller ships selling out shows the latter are currently still popular. My recent cruise on Iona cost £1000 - my cruise today on Arcadia is four times as much, but will be worth it for me personally. Each to their own.

Aurora's theatre seating must be the most uncomfortable at sea, for wheelchair users Carmen's is very poor, and the sun deck has no auto doors. 

The main pool area is very weird, and again very wheelchair unfriendly, and there are a number of corridor endings with only stairs.

The standard cabin cut out balconies are nowhere near as user friendly as even Britannia's tiny juliet ones.

But I am glad so many of you love her, and are prepared to pay premium prices to cruise on her, which seems to leave P&O with the need to keep the pricing of the bigger ships so very competitive.

• Like 2

I’m not bothered about the look of these bigger ships and it’s nice to have all the additional facilities. For me, it’s more about the logistical challenges. We’ve seen the problems with Iona and Gerianger this year, and it seems that the bigger ships won’t be able to visit some places. Worse still, it’s the issue of getting so many passengers off quickly in port and whether the ports can cope. Another thread currently mentions the difficulty of getting enough shuttles for Iona in Hamburg and Hamburg is a big place! 
We will see for ourselves next year - we have Iona booked! 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I’m not bothered about the look of these bigger ships and it’s nice to have all the additional facilities. For me, it’s more about the logistical challenges. We’ve seen the problems with Iona and Gerianger this year, and it seems that the bigger ships won’t be able to visit some places. Worse still, it’s the issue of getting so many passengers off quickly in port and whether the ports can cope. Another thread currently mentions the difficulty of getting enough shuttles for Iona in Hamburg and Hamburg is a big place! 
We will see for ourselves next year - we have Iona booked! 

We decided to go with Celebrity to the Fjords. We went on Britannia previously and thought that was about big enough. Next year we have booked Azura and Iona to the Canaries.  Sometimes we will use big ships and sometimes the smaller ships. Both are fine, but horses for courses.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We decided to go with Celebrity to the Fjords. We went on Britannia previously and thought that was about big enough. Next year we have booked Azura and Iona to the Canaries.  Sometimes we will use big ships and sometimes the smaller ships. Both are fine, but horses for courses.

Agree 100%. We were supposed to be on Borealis from Liverpool earlier this month but had to change our plans due to family illness. I don’t really mind who I sail with as long as I can get off the ship fairly easily! 

• Like 1

Just booked Arvia last night for the Caribbean on 4th Feb (K303A). Looking forward to it. I bet some of the Caribbean islands are looking forward to the business as well 😉. I don't mind the size, although we thought the Britannia was about right. 

It was a last minute decision after a glass or two of vino, flying from Brum with god knows who. Caribbean wise we've been doing land based holidays but they've gone into orbit recently , so will float around instead with the odd foray onto shore as its far better value. 

• Like 3

I am booked on the January TA cruise with an Early Saver fare, I have checked in online but have still not been allocated a cabin.

It will be interesting to see how much of a difference there is internally between Iona and Arvia. 

I quite liked Iona but I did find the decor a bit harsh and clinical, a bit like a shopping mall. Hard surfaces, lots of glass, metal and marble. 

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

You misread the post - flights are on TUI.

But I agree, Marella cruises seem expensive.

Agreed. I checked out some 7-night fly-cruises with them for next year because they are interesting itineraries. The cheapest solo fares were between £1400 and £1700.....

On 12/20/2022 at 5:08 PM, Britboys said:

Agreed. I checked out some 7-night fly-cruises with them for next year because they are interesting itineraries. The cheapest solo fares were between £1400 and £1700.....

We looked at some but the prices was a bit high and it was because of the itinerary that we looked at them in the first place.

• Like 1

So, Maiden tomorrow.

She has been built in the most challenging of times with Covid and supply chain severely affecting the build. Whatever happens, even if there are bits and bobs to be finished or ironed out, the ship is the product of many people’s loving work.

She is a lovely ship and a great addition to the fleet.

Safe trips Arvia.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Marella cruises seem expensive to Princess and Celebrity as well !

Yet they must be still getting the customers or the prices would be tumbling.

i have a 14 night Marella cruise booked for next July but also have the option of cancelling and going on two P&O 7 nighters from Southampton, saving almost £1000 as well. The Marella itinerary is a week in the Greek Isles and a week in the Adriatic. However with my much reduced alcohol intake the AI is not attractive and I really don't like the process of flying. I don't have to decide until February.

4 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Yet they must be still getting the customers or the prices would be tumbling.

Yes, I agree.

I wonder if the attraction for many of their clientele is that it is a safe option. Well known brand (TUI), book in a high street TUI TA, everything bundled together,  etc.

I'm obviously guessing here, but I wonder how many of their passengers have actually done a price comparison to the likes of P&O and Princess. Obviously that does not apply to those seasoned travellers on here who cruise with Marella!

15 hours ago, molecrochip said:

She has been built in the most challenging of times with Covid and supply chain severely affecting the build. Whatever happens, even if there are bits and bobs to be finished or ironed out, the ship is the product of many people’s loving work.

I wonder, I am still waiting for my cabin allocation for the January 6th cruise, I have an image of a guy with a clipboard examining each cabin followed by a fellow pushing a trolley loaded with bedding.

"Right Fred this one's got a bed and the toilet works, set it all up and put it on the ready list".

Hope they do mine next. Seriously it must be a bit of a logistics problem to get 2610 cabins initially set up with all the needed contents.

Really looking forward to this one, the maiden transatlantic.

6 minutes ago, GOQ said:

I wonder, I am still waiting for my cabin allocation for the January 6th cruise, I have an image of a guy with a clipboard examining each cabin followed by a fellow pushing a trolley loaded with bedding.

"Right Fred this one's got a bed and the toilet works, set it all up and put it on the ready list".

Hope they do mine next. Seriously it must be a bit of a logistics problem to get 2610 cabins initially set up with all the needed contents.

Really looking forward to this one, the maiden transatlantic.

We were allocated ours this morning. 4 grades higher than we booked but not a location we would have chosen 🤷‍♂️