Arvia's arrival

molecrochip

Just now, Angel57 said:

Ooh, wash your mouth out Zap…..🤣🤣🤣🤣 

I don't think that. I like the old vintage ships. Our first cruise was on Island Escape. That was a proper cruise ship, nothing like a car ferry.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I don't think that. I like the old vintage ships. Our first cruise was on Island Escape. That was a proper cruise ship, nothing like a car ferry.🤣

That was one of our first cruises along with Sunbird and Sunwing ! Tiny inside cabin, but we managed and loved it. How times change.

• Like 1

Ironically we are trying to find something for our 30th anniversary in August 2024 (yes a long way off but planning is half the fun). Am going around in circles and we have both said that if P&O still had Oceana we would have booked her in a heart beat ... old, had some issues, but we loved the atrium and whole 'vibe'. Even our favourite Captain seem to have gone too - Capt Willard. 

(And before anyone says it -- no Oceana is not yet a baked bean can !!!!)

Have had a look at all sorts - Azamara looks good to be honest. Lovely ships, but 'lovely' prices too !!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Aurora actually looks like a ship!  These monsters don't.  But good thing we are all different.

To me ships of this size are like blocks of flats on a floating hull, not at all attractive and it’s no just Our Vera, they are all very similar in looks a bit like modern housing estates. Put together in modules a bit like some modern apartments & Premier Inns. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

To me ships of this size are like blocks of flats on a floating hull, not at all attractive and it’s no just Our Vera, they are all very similar in looks a bit like modern housing estates. Put together in modules a bit like some modern apartments & Premier Inns. 

Oh couldn't agree more.  They are my worst nightmare.  If Aurora goes, we will be back to Fred.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Ironically we are trying to find something for our 30th anniversary in August 2024 (yes a long way off but planning is half the fun). Am going around in circles and we have both said that if P&O still had Oceana we would have booked her in a heart beat ... old, had some issues, but we loved the atrium and whole 'vibe'. Even our favourite Captain seem to have gone too - Capt Willard. 

Have had a look at all sorts - Azamara looks good to be honest. Lovely ships, but 'lovely' prices too !!!!

Very impressed with Azamara, yes they do cost more but it certainly shows 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Andy Willard on one Caribbean Xmas cruise was absolutely hilarious. Joined in everything, including the pantomime in a pink tutu. Also saw him rollerblading down the jetty. What a character. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Very impressed with Azamara, yes they do cost more but it certainly shows 🙂

Bit of an understatement yes they do cost more an hell of a lot more, but the benefit for us are we will not pay those prices.

It has been said for many years and keeps getting dragged out "like a block of flats" and is getting boring. 95 % of the time you are onboard and cannot see what the ship looks like from the outside. Also the pressure on cruise companies to provide what the public demand is balcony cabins so that doesn't help design style. Also and major part for me is what the ship is like inside and facilities and what is available not what she looks like. If not onboard even when at port how many sit and admire the ship and its design. So possibly less than 5% worry about what the ship looks like. Cruising like any other business has to move with the times and provide what the public want or they will struggle. It is 22yrs since Aurora first sailed and a lot of things have changed since then in cruising and life in general. If you don't like how cruising is moving them perhaps time to move on and look at some other type of holiday.

• Like 11

34 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

It has been said for many years and keeps getting dragged out "like a block of flats" and is getting boring. 95 % of the time you are onboard and cannot see what the ship looks like from the outside. Also the pressure on cruise companies to provide what the public demand is balcony cabins so that doesn't help design style. Also and major part for me is what the ship is like inside and facilities and what is available not what she looks like. If not onboard even when at port how many sit and admire the ship and its design. So possibly less than 5% worry about what the ship looks like. Cruising like any other business has to move with the times and provide what the public want or they will struggle. It is 22yrs since Aurora first sailed and a lot of things have changed since then in cruising and life in general. If you don't like how cruising is moving them perhaps time to move on and look at some other type of holiday.

We like the nice new ships. Many folk who only like the little old boats, have sailed on neither for yonks.

Rock bottom prices and generous obc in order to fill the large ships, and more expensive cruises on smaller ships selling out shows the latter are currently still popular. My recent cruise on Iona cost £1000 - my cruise today on Arcadia is four times as much, but will be worth it for me personally. Each to their own.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

Had a couple of good cruises on Braemar and also on Balmoral, but a few years ago.  Looking to try Bolette.

Can see Bolette  next to my hotel at City Terminal. Have heard good reports of her,  albeit from more aged cruisers, like myself!

• Like 1