International Cafe tip

tampadee

Basically no. A service charge is already included in the plus fares as well as the cost if purchasing individual coffee drinks. If the same person serves you every day in a way that is pleasing to you then you may wish to provide a cash reward at the end of the voyage. It is really up to you. I would not provide anything extra every time you get a coffee drink.

48 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We tip at the end if we get the same barista throughout the cruise.  You can do it with cash or a bag of nice treats, like chocolates or chips.  

Please don't tip adults with cookies!

That's not a tip

It's a childish treat

• Like 15
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

If we are sitting at a table and the waiter brings our drinks and sandwiches or pastries. I do give a small tip....

If we are sitting at a bar, not just getting a drink I also tip the bartender.

We also give a tip to the cabin steward.

When you think about how hard they work, hours and days, I think "we" can afford the few dollars

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

No tip. And certainly no chocolates  - your servers are adults, not children looking for a reward !

Plus, I don't carry cash around with me on a cruise, when I have already pre-paid all my tips.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

Please don't tip adults with cookies!

That's not a tip

It's a childish treat

First of last, I never tip them with cookies and never said we did.  Secondly, we ask them what treats they might like that they have a hard time getting onboard!  Most say chocolate or chips.  We always have plenty on hand to give them if it’s per their wish.  We also have cash but let me say, they are always happy if they get a little treat that they have requested.  It’s not childish … take a step back to learn what they really like!  

• Like 2

We don’t tip at the IC even when we see the same barista daily. Both of our baristas on our last 2 week cruise asked us to mention them on the survey if we wanted to and we did. -we would have anyway even if they hadn’t asked. I think that is their focus.

there was another passenger who gave them a dollar every time. Very nice, but I wouldn’t.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We tip at the end if we get the same barista throughout the cruise.  You can do it with cash or a bag of nice treats, like chocolates or chips.  

I would never tip anyone w food or any other specific item.  Cash is king.  You can buy anything w cash.

Perhaps you meant to say "cash and treats" and not "cash or treats"

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

Why double tip?  You will be paying tips each day for this service and want to pay even more.  Only Americans would do think this is a good thing.

I'm American & I totally agree with you. I think the auto gratuities are enough. On our upcoming 26 day cruise our auto gratuities will total $832. I see no need to pay more.

• Like 5

We quite often ask a favorite bartender/server if they would like something from shore if they don't have time to go that day.  Last trip it was M&Ms and chips.  The strangest request was a can of Spam. This is not a tip, it is a favor.  So, it could be considered "cash and treats", as cash is given at the end of the cruise. 

• Like 1

Tipping is a very personal issue... It is a willing act and is optional. We usually have the Princess Plus and will tip for above and beyond service which usually includes our room steward and room service. If we have become a regular at a certain bar and the bartender knows us by name and our favorite drinks, then yes, we tip close to the end of our cruise. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Potstech said:

Why double tip?  You will be paying tips each day for this service and want to pay even more.  Only Americans would do think this is a good thing.

Why not?

Americans are generous and not as stingy as other cultures who might mistakenly believe that tipping is somehow insulting or degrading.

We always tip extra and above(the suggested daily tip) directly to the room steward(and any additional assistants).

We also will do this sometimes at specialty restaurants when the service has been top-notch.

Or, at other times; having thrown in on a collective envelope with other passengers to be given as a special 'thank you' to a bartender that has gone above and beyond in providing exemplary service.

It's a voluntary action, and a personal choice to do so.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I would never tip anyone w food or any other specific item.  Cash is king.  You can buy anything w cash.

Perhaps you meant to say "cash and treats" and not "cash or treats"

DON

Sometimes it is cash and sometimes it is just a bag of treats!  
We oftentimes ask what they want from shore or from home, if we are coming back soon.  
Another idea is to pay for their WiFi up at the front desk.  It’s $2 a day for them so, a week’s worth 
Is only $14.  
Some give cash and sometimes I give that, but honestly, I prefer a more personalized approach!  

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, wowzz said:

So they cannot buy chocolates or chips in the staff store, or when ashore ?

And would prefer chips to a $5 tip ?

Cash is always king. 

You do you!  I will do me!  When I see the happiness of giving the crew a more personalized gift, I will continue to do just that!  
Why does everyone think it’s their way or the highway?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with @CruiseRaider  Since I pay auto grats and no additional cash is expected or required taking the time to know what a favorite crew member is missing from home or what their child loves as a special treat from the US so they can surprise their loved one when they get home is a lovely personal touch. It shows a level of caring and interest and humanity. 

Whether or not a person double tips in cash or not is entirely up to them.  But making an effort to surprise a favorite crew member with a personalized small treat that you have already discovered they truly want is  a nice way to say thank you. This is not instead of cash it is entirely separated from cash. 

I don’t think the average person who sails once or twice a year would get to know a crew member well enough to do this. I sailed on the Ruby pretty much every month for 8 months between Nov ‘21 & June ‘22 (many times with @CruiseRaider) After the first cumulative 30 days or so the crew started to open up about what they really missed. And yes Spam was on that list. Jelly belly’s for a son back home, (the photo months later of him enjoying them was very sweet), pork rolls from port, I think once it was garlic chicken that @Cruise Raiderdiscovered was a big favorite of our absolutely amazing restaurant manager. And sometime it is special chocolates or spicy Doritos.  You just get to know what certain crew like organically after spending so much time together. 

During that time when all crew wore masks all the time, silicone face shields and extra 95 style masks were a huge hit.  I had crew thanking me every time they saw me on board for those, even months later.  

Edited by HaveDogWillTravel
  • Like 2

Responding to the OP, YES. ABSOLUTELY. 

Always have a pocketful of cash (preferably 5s and 10s) readily available so that ANYTIME you see ANYONE wearing a Princess name plate you can hand them a few bucks. They ALL work very hard and are deserving of such small kindnesses.

You can afford it. Don’t be a cheapskate.  

They will appreciate you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1