Christmas Day 2022 and New Year 2023

Thinking of the Cruise Critic Family and wishing everyone all the joys of Christmas, good health and every happiness in the New Year. 

Listening to ABC Rage's Christmas music to set the scene.  Lots of snow, Santas in hot red winter suits

"How to Make Gravy", by Paul Kelly is one of my modern favourites.  The old carols and Christmas music never go out of fashion!

David Bowie and Bing Crosby sang "Drummer Boy", such a beautiful carol.  

What are your favourites, new and old?

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Greetings from Canada, fellow-commonwealth CC member.  

Happy Christmas to you.  Is your Canadian Christmas more British heritage or American?  We went to the biggest log cabin in the world in Canada one Christmas to celebrate a White Christmas.  There was no snow, nor ice skating!  However, we have been to Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper pre Christmas with snow and to Ottawa, where we watched school children play cricket on the frozen river.  . 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Happy Christmas to you.  Is your Canadian Christmas more British heritage or American?  We went to the biggest log cabin in the world in Canada one Christmas to celebrate a White Christmas.  There was no snow, nor ice skating!  However, we have been to Banff, Lake Louise and Jasper pre Christmas with snow and to Ottawa, where we watched school children play cricket on the frozen river.  . 

Hi!  Canada is pretty much Brit when it comes to Christmas. Also a big deal is Boxing Day, which is foreign to Americans.  In Quebec the culture is very French and they love their Pere Noel and all the French food like tourtiere and anything maple. At Christmas we love trifle and mince tarts (what is it about your "meat pies" ? - I need to know before we return to Australia). We do turkey more than goose or duck.

Canada is very multicultural and many (no matter what their heritage) go out for dinner at the Chinese restaurants, which are some of the few open on Christmas Day. 

We live on the west coast and do not usually have a white Christmas. This year is different, three big dumps of snow, YVR was a disaster with 2 days of cancelled international flights, cancellations and delays.  Since you have been to the east, you know it is a really snowy, cold area!  Their Christmas is even more overboard with skating on frozen rivers very popular. In Ottawa the civil servants all skate to work in the Parliament Buildings on the Rideau Canal!     Love Banff and the lovely Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel (fairy tale castle style), which is always superbly decorated.

Glad you have seen some of Canada!  Feel welcome to return!  We'll be seeing Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney in April, but have been to Cairns and Darwin (hottest place we have ever been!!). You have a lovely, friendly country!

Have a Merry Christmas!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Hi!  Canada is pretty much Brit when it comes to Christmas. Also a big deal is Boxing Day, which is foreign to Americans.  In Quebec the culture is very French and they love their Pere Noel and all the French food like tourtiere and anything maple. At Christmas we love trifle and mince tarts (what is it about your "meat pies" ? - I need to know before we return to Australia). We do turkey more than goose or duck.

Canada is very multicultural and many (no matter what their heritage) go out for dinner at the Chinese restaurants, which are some of the few open on Christmas Day. 

We live on the west coast and do not usually have a white Christmas. This year is different, three big dumps of snow, YVR was a disaster with 2 days of cancelled international flights, cancellations and delays.  Since you have been to the east, you know it is a really snowy, cold area!  Their Christmas is even more overboard with skating on frozen rivers very popular. In Ottawa the civil servants all skate to work in the Parliament Buildings on the Rideau Canal!     Love Banff and the lovely Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel (fairy tale castle style), which is always superbly decorated.

Glad you have seen some of Canada!  Feel welcome to return!  We'll be seeing Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney in April, but have been to Cairns and Darwin (hottest place we have ever been!!). You have a lovely, friendly country!

Have a Merry Christmas!

Yes I have travelled a lot in Canada.  I have travelled across by Greyhound bus and train, as well as car.  It feels very much like home with its part British heritage.  My girls worked in Canada until they were 31 when they had to leave or I think they'd still be there.  They worked on a ski resort in the East where they enjoyed the French influence and escaped all the Aussies who work on the ski fields in the West.  Then they worked in Calgary and did the Calgary Stampede.

I enjoyed a French cruise on the St Lawrence River to Magdalen Islands, as well as a cruise via Labrador and Newfoundland.  Canadians are very friendly also.  Are you cruising to Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney in April?  I'm going to the Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart in February.  

As you drive around Australia, you'll see signs "Best Pies in Australia" everywhere.  Most of our bakeries have Cornish pies, mixed pies, pasties and sausage rolls.  A hot pie, with mushy pies added, is a speciality.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes I have travelled a lot in Canada.  I have travelled across by Greyhound bus and train, as well as car.  It feels very much like home with its part British heritage.  My girls worked in Canada until they were 31 when they had to leave or I think they'd still be there.  They worked on a ski resort in the East where they enjoyed the French influence and escaped all the Aussies who work on the ski fields in the West.  Then they worked in Calgary and did the Calgary Stampede.

I enjoyed a French cruise on the St Lawrence River to Magdalen Islands, as well as a cruise via Labrador and Newfoundland.  Canadians are very friendly also.  Are you cruising to Hobart, Melbourne and Sydney in April?  I'm going to the Wooden Boat Festival in Hobart in February.  

As you drive around Australia, you'll see signs "Best Pies in Australia" everywhere.  Most of our bakeries have Cornish pies, mixed pies, pasties and sausage rolls.  A hot pie, with mushy pies added, is a speciality.

Those three ports in April, but NZ first. You have had a good taste of Canada! And your girls have really been immersed in some of our iconic tourist areas!  Come back and see the west coast!

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Thinking of the Cruise Critic Family and wishing everyone all the joys of Christmas, good health and every happiness in the New Year. 

Listening to ABC Rage's Christmas music to set the scene.  Lots of snow, Santas in hot red winter suits

"How to Make Gravy", by Paul Kelly is one of my modern favourites.  The old carols and Christmas music never go out of fashion!

Thanks for the good wishes.

I believe we have Coca-Cola to thank for Santa and his red suit.

I thought How to Make Gravy was a a lovely song until it got flogged to death on the radio. And Little Drummer Boy has to be my least favourite carol of all, it is so boring and drones on and on. Call me the carol Grinch.

David Bowie and Christmas always reminds me of his part in the movie Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence.

Merry Christmas to all and look after your health.

5 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Barnsey's new X-mas album ain't bad! Merry xmas. 

43 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Those three ports in April, but NZ first. You have had a good taste of Canada! And your girls have really been immersed in some of our iconic tourist areas!  Come back and see the west coast!

We have seen a lot of the West Coast also.  Vancouver Island (car and train and ferry), Sunshine Coast, 

Prince Rupert to Jasper (train).  Vancouver to the Alps (car)  I like the West Coast.

• Like 2

Happy Christmas everyone  It does seem (for us) strange not to have snow here in Australia but perhaps we will get to see some more when we visit Canada during August 2023 on our Coral Princess half world  5 stops in Canada  all new to us

Safe, healthy and non eventful New Year to all   Yvonne and Colin

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

Happy Christmas everyone  It does seem (for us) strange not to have snow here in Australia but perhaps we will get to see some more when we visit Canada during August 2023 on our Coral Princess half world  5 stops in Canada  all new to us

Safe, healthy and non eventful New Year to all   Yvonne and Colin

No snow in August, Yvonne - summer.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, windsor26 said:

It does seem (for us) strange not to have snow here in Australia

Merry Christmas everyone.

I for one am glad to have a high of 29 degrees here for Christmas (in the Snowy Mountains).

I just watched the Canadian national news on SBS to see the big snow storms and the mass pile up on the roads. 😲

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you all have a great day.

1332204061_Santa-dance1_www.free-avatars.com(1).gif.9370a3df28e60095ff2443f5565d6079.gif

Merry Christmas to you too 🥰 I don't post much but refer to you and the other regular Cruise Critic posters as my "internet friends" - I even know you all by name too! You've been in my thoughts and prayers with your double-whammy health issues and I sincerely wish you a safe and speedy recovery this coming year.

Just popped home from a family breakfast and pressie opening, for a few quiet moments with my feline buddy and to ready myself for the next onslaught.

Merry Christmas Les, with every good wish winging its way to you through cyber space 🤗 💕

• Like 4

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Just watched the funniest Christmas video - Billy Mack - "Christmas is all Around".

That is from one of the stories woven into the movie "Love Actually". Billy Mack is a character in the movie, acted by Bill Nighy. We watched that on Fox again last night. 

Merry Christmas all, even those who are lucky enough to be cruising today 🤢

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sewgood said:

Merry Christmas everyone.

I just watched the Canadian national news on SBS to see the big snow storms and the mass pile up on the roads. 😲

On the rainy west coast YVR was a disaster after the two major dumps of snow! Cancellations, delays, people waiting days, international flights cancelled for 2 days outright. Roads were impassable and bridges shut down at times because of so many accidents plugging them up.  In the east Toronto had problems and it is snow county!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Merry Christmas to all.

We had one the best weather days for Christmas Day in Sydney for years.  Had a long leisurely lunch on the deck then a late afternoon swim at the beach.  The water temp was lovely.  
Our son is currently working in a ski resort in BC, Canada. Having a fabulous time.  

EF138103-239B-4695-AE78-AC4C8F280557.thumb.jpeg.99089745969afcc24c86d792ee13ea2a.jpeg

54F09AF3-BBD2-4EDB-A31F-DDE5343ADF82.thumb.jpeg.00f9360df24277eadd182c890bd84cf7.jpeg

D3E9809F-43E0-4022-B40E-AD5FE637D7C6.thumb.jpeg.2cc57e3da93c4edea03c3bd7c6a8687d.jpeg

FD3D8ADB-2CCD-4AD9-908A-F0EEF0D9EE4B.jpeg

Edited by aussielozzie18
  • Like 2

This morning one of the TV stations, I think it was 9, did their weather from Redhead Beach. It was another example of not having done their research by saying it is in Newcastle. A Google check would have shown them that Redhead is a suburb of the city of Lake Macquarie.

redhead-beach-5.jpg

index.jpg

Edited by lyndarra
tense correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

This morning one of the TV stations, I think it was 9, did their weather from Redhead Beach. It was another example of not having done their research by saying it is in Newcastle. A Google check would have shown them that Redhead is a suburb of the city of Lake Macquarie.

redhead-beach-5.jpg

index.jpg

Beautiful beach.  My pet hate is when the pronunciation is wrong.  ABC has staff throughout Aust.  Surely it is easier enough to check or have it on file.