Does the MDR still have a dress code?

NMTraveller

20 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

The MDR is air-conditioned. AND it can be chilly, you might be glad you have on those slacks!

Not me. I won't be wearing shorts at dinner in the MDR. But when it is chilly in a restaurant the bottom does not bother me only the top. I see plenty of women wearing dresses or skirts so I tdon't hink the too chilly will disuade those who prefer shorts if it is allowed. 

Edited by Charles4515

6 hours ago, AC Stew said:

Dress Code/shorts/flip-flops in the Dining Room conversations have been Cruise Critic fodder for years! And I freely admit that years ago, I was somewhat bothered when I saw grown men sporting T-shirts and shorts and baseball caps being allowed in. (I'd silently cheer if they were turned away.) We don't wear ball gowns or tuxes or anything that cumbersome, but we've always tried to look "nice" for the dining room. Still do ... our choice.

But am I still bothered if someone wants to hold "casual/comfortable" to a lower bar? Heck no! We sit at a table for two. What you wear is your own business. Of course, I wouldn't want to be next to a guy in a tank top with hairy armpits and a baseball cap that advertises political slogans! Probably though, that guy would prefer to be in the Ocean View anyway.

Times are different and I am older. I won't lower my standards, but I've learned to go with the flow.

Some of the Baseball caps..and if they are Authentics MLB can go for upward of $50+ a piece now😜

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Except this may not be the answer.

Often times policy and the actual practice in place are different (think HAL). Changes to the ocean view cafe' are very recent (not sure how old that photo is). Celebrity has not made a formal announcement that the ocean view buffet choices have been scaled back. Therefore; it is likely men will be boarding without packing shorts because they have not anticipated this change.  Doubtful Celebrity will summons them to eating for 7  days off the very limited menu that has been reported.

Also; when calling Celebrity to express concerns about the buffet changes, the representative is stating shorts are allowed since it is Celebrity that made the changes to the ocean view cafe. So there we have it. At least one person from Celebrity stating shorts are no longer a hard no in the MDR for dinner (have they ever REALLY been a hard no? We follow the rules and DH will put on pants when in the dining room, but I absolutely have witnessed shorts (although never on chic night).

People want choice. Up until last week, people had a choice to get a fresh, hot, healthy meal while dining in shorts and choose to sail Celebrity. It appears that choice has been removed. I suspect accommodations will be made.

Eating Healthy on a Cruise..*****🤬

Edited by mpdog42
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

The dining room and other indoor areas are air conditioned.

Yes but many are more comfortable in shorts. In this day and age it seems old fashioned to not allow nice shorts. It wouldn't bother me. I have been on cruise lines that allow shorts and it did not bother me or effect me. I think there is a strong case if the Oceanview is no longer suitable as a casual alternative for allowing shorts in the MDR. However I am not convinced that the cutbacks have crossed that line. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don’t think we are alone and I’m not convinced that the majority of people will sign up to sail with a 100% pants requirement (because  no other reasonable options exist). Most people want choices for where to dine and the current reported buffet offerings really do not offer us a dinner option.

Now, with all that said, it appears Celebrity is getting a significant push back to the reported buffet options. The initial reports were very unhealthy. We want a fresh grill, fresh stir fry, great pasta options. We are fine if only one is offered each night and I’m hopeful Celebrity will take the suggestions to add back in made to order station.

We will always sign up to sail with a 100% pants requirement for dinner. Have never wanted to go to the buffet for dinner but I know there are others who do. I do hope Celebrity will rethink their buffet menu offerings and bring back some main dish offerings. 

I remember when the buffet was used as a training venue for new servers and you paid $2.00 to eat there.  That time is long gone but I'm still not ready to wear shorts for dinner.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We will always sign up to sail with a 100% pants requirement for dinner. Have never wanted to go to the buffet for dinner but I know there are others who do. I do hope Celebrity will rethink their buffet menu offerings and bring back some main dish offerings. 

I remember when the buffet was used as a training venue for new servers and you paid $2.00 to eat there.  That time is long gone but I'm still not ready to wear shorts for dinner.

On our last cruise, we did not like the wait for Select Dining, so we went upstairs. We had some great cooked to order pasta. Although they do not advertise it, they will make oil and garlic..... have them throw in some mushrooms 🙂

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I can tell you where we wouldn't be dining in Vegas. We vote with our wallet and that just sounds miserable.

We are fortunate enough to winter in Maui. Don't even pack a pair of pants other than what we wear on the plane. 4 months dining in some very nice establishments with views that make the Bellagio fountains look like a walmart sprinkler system, and not one pants requirement. Anywhere.

But you still clamor for the buffet?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

But you still clamor for the buffet?

I still “clamor” for a Healthy, hot, made-to-order meal, served in a casual setting, where we able to be seated immediately (window or outside is a nice perk), where we are not sitting 6 inches from strangers, where we can dine at our pace. Seems reasonable to me. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, drevil0208 said:

Not sure if this what it has always said but this is directly from Celebrity's website.  "Should feel comfortable' is not a requirement.  The only dress code is what it says after "Note" where it says t-shirts, swimsuits etc. are not allowed.  Even for Evening Chic it says "Should feel comfortable".  Nowhere at all does it say shorts are not permitted.  This has been confirmed by Celebrity employees telling people the same. So go to town and wear shorts and ignore the Dress Code Police that patrol this board!

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a short sleeve sport shirt.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

You can quote the rules,  but when people from LLP's office are responding back to compaints about the OVC and telling people that they can wear shorts in the MDR at night I would tend to go with this.  But what does LLP and her office know? 🙂

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

I stole this from another thread , this poster posted what I’ve always thought

When the bar was lowered for gala night dress requirements — possibly in response to post-cruise surveys and complaints from those who couldn’t enter the MDR without proper attire — the catalyst for cause and effect was initiated.  If you can’t be bothered to dress special, we can’t be bothered to serve special.  Personally, I prefer that the F&B budget be spent on quality beef and lamb — because I am not a lobster person — but if the passenger is going to insist on lowering standards then the cruise line will oblige.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

We are fortunate enough to winter in Maui. Don't even pack a pair of pants other than what we wear on the plane. 4 months dining in some very nice establishments with views that make the Bellagio fountains look like a walmart sprinkler system, and not one pants requirement. Anywhere.

Haaah.  We took a visitor up to Pacific'o in Lahaina many years ago and he was wearing a tank top.  They gave him a shirt to cover up with.  Said they had a dress code!

Edited by Dancing Shoes
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

I stole this from another thread , this poster posted what I’ve always thought

If there were any cause and effect it was the other way around. As the mainstream cruise lines cut the food quality people didn’t see the point of dressing up special. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Celebrity has been contacting people who are calling about the OCV reductions saying that they CAN wear shorts in the evenings in the MDR.  So therefore the reason for my post.

That's what the exec office rep toid me on Monday 1/09/2023. Said they will not turn anyone away at MDR 

Adela Mormeneo
Celebrity Cruises
Executive Office

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

Yes, there is a dress code, no shorts, ripped jeans or pool wear at dinner. If you want to wear shorts, go to the buffet. Signs are clearly posted regarding dress code and you will be turned away. 

Don't embarress yourself, dress appropriately.

Well I don't embarrass easily.

Having said that I am more concerned that I will overdress than underdress.  I would not want to be one of a few wearing a suit in the MDR on dress up night amongst a group wearing shorts.

5 hours ago, jelayne said:

The dining room and other indoor areas are air conditioned.

all indoor spaces on the ship are. people are not wearing pants and long sleeve shirts all day that i have witnessed, but you may if cold.