Cruises without Passports

erikardh999

Can anyone tell me which cruises we could take without passports? I have a passport, but I have two step-sons that do not. I'm not sure that we can get them one so I'm trying to explore possible travel options we could take without. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Assuming you are US citizens, you’ve got tons of choices. Most cruises that start in a US port and end back in that port qualify. There are a small number of exotic stops that can mess things up, and a few speciality cruising lines that require passports because reasons, but the average cruiser is unlikely to hit those exceptions. 

Most short mass market cruise lines’  (Norwegian, Holland America , Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Celebrity, etc.) short itineraries (generally up to ten days) sailing from and returning to the same US port do not require passports.  Proof of citizenship (ordinarily a birth certificate) and photo ID (typically a drivers license) are ordinarily all that is required.

16 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Most short mass market cruise lines’  (Norwegian, Holland America , Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Celebrity, etc.) short itineraries (generally up to ten days) sailing from and returning to the same US port do not require passports.  Proof of citizenship (ordinarily a birth certificate) and photo ID (typically a drivers license) are ordinarily all that is required.

Though it might be an unusual  personal experience, a lot of Caribbean cruisers (new and seasoned) don’t realize that any situation  necessitating a mid-cruise flight home to the US requires a passport. 

Whether it’s a passport and/or cruise insurance and/or CCs with reasonable $ caps, not having them is “pennywise and pound foolish.”

• Like 5

Also to point out, that it also recommended that you get a notarized letter from the non-traveling parent (minus a sole custody agreement) giving to consent to take the kids out of the country. So if the issue is that the non-custodial parent not willing to sign the application, you still might have an issue.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, erikardh999 said:

Can anyone tell me which cruises we could take without passports? I have a passport, but I have two step-sons that do not. I'm not sure that we can get them one so I'm trying to explore possible travel options we could take without. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance!

There is another thread here about traveling with a grandchild.  And I had written something that is relevant for you, too:

20 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

And you may need documentation from *both* parents that you have permission to take the child outside the USA.  If there is only one living parent, or one custodial parent, then a death certificate or custody documentation might be needed.

There may be requirements by the cruise line and also by the US government.

It would also be wise to have a letter giving you permission to make emergency medical decisions, etc.

Double check whether any of these should be notarized.

GC

While not specifically for cruising, it may be worth the hassle to get the boys a passport. Opportunities may arise that they may have some international travel in the future. 

Like I just found out that Kid's high school has a European exchange student program for this coming summer, all paid for except the airfare and his million word essay😎. Application (passport info required) due end of March and of course we let his passport expire during lockdown.  Now in the process of getting him a new one. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Philob said:

While not specifically for cruising, it may be worth the hassle to get the boys a passport. Opportunities may arise that they may have some international travel in the future. 

Like I just found out that Kid's high school has a European exchange student program for this coming summer, all paid for except the airfare and his million word essay😎. Application (passport info required) due end of March and of course we let his passport expire during lockdown.  Now in the process of getting him a new one. 

Along those lines and not cruise related, my employer had a last-minute job at a DOD facility in another country. They were looking for volunteers to travel. I wasn't the best person for the job (lack of experience) but I was the only one with a passport. For the next 20 years, I was the one they came to.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Though it might be an unusual  personal experience, a lot of Caribbean cruisers (new and seasoned) don’t realize that any situation  necessitating a mid-cruise flight home to the US requires a passport. 

Whether it’s a passport and/or cruise insurance and/or CCs with reasonable $ caps, not having them is “pennywise and pound foolish.”

It is something to consider, but I wouldn't say that a return trip is always going to require a passport since the DHS regulations that give us the closed loop exemption also allow the waiver of the passport requirement for emergencies or for humanitarian reasons. For most people the risk of having to return home mid cruise is very low.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No matter what the reason - cruise or any other travel -  I will never leave my country of residence without a valid passport. Also, I take at least a photocopy of the key pages of my passport with me when I go ashore for the day. Some shore excursion businesses insist on a passport before they will take you. A passport is a very powerful document and affords the owner considerable privileges and rights while abroad. If anything should go wrong while ashore, a passport is a must.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Canuker said:

No matter what the reason - cruise or any other travel -  I will never leave my country of residence without a valid passport. Also, I take at least a photocopy of the key pages of my passport with me when I go ashore for the day. Some shore excursion businesses insist on a passport before they will take you. A passport is a very powerful document and affords the owner considerable privileges and rights while abroad. If anything should go wrong while ashore, a passport is a must.

Attitudes towards passports are a subtle cultural difference between Canadians and Americans. Two-thirds of us have them compared to only one-third of Americans. We also tend to carry ours with us more often because we understand the benefits of having them immediately available. Americans meanwhile tend to be more anxious about losing their passports and keep them in their cabins or hotel room safes. 

Edited by K32682

13 hours ago, Canuker said:

I will never leave my country of residence without a valid passport.

You are Canadian. You can't leave without a passport. So your answer has that bias. Of course a passport is the best document and recommended but since there are instances where there might be an issue for one reason or another I see no reason not to travel with a birth certificate if it is allowed for US citizens on closed loop cruises. As far as excursions I have been on many and not a single one insisted on a passport.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2023 at 8:20 AM, 1025cruise said:

Also to point out, that it also recommended that you get a notarized letter from the non-traveling parent (minus a sole custody agreement) giving to consent to take the kids out of the country. So if the issue is that the non-custodial parent not willing to sign the application, you still might have an issue.

I agree this could be a good idea.  What I wonder is if it is an actual requirement when taking step children, meaning they won't be allowed to board?   

On 1/16/2023 at 10:05 AM, sparks1093 said:

It is something to consider, but I wouldn't say that a return trip is always going to require a passport since the DHS regulations that give us the closed loop exemption also allow the waiver of the passport requirement for emergencies or for humanitarian reasons. For most people the risk of having to return home mid cruise is very low.

I visualize a grizzled guy in a straw hat and ragged pants living on a beach somewhere because he missed the ship and only had a drivers license.   

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

I agree this could be a good idea.  What I wonder is if it is an actual requirement when taking step children, meaning they won't be allowed to board?   

When we took our step granddaughter we had the letter, but no one ever asked to see it. It is a recommendation by many, but I don't believe it is a requirement. Human trafficking is a serious problem, but I don't see closed loop cruises as being a viable means of doing that. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

When we took our step granddaughter we had the letter, but no one ever asked to see it. It is a recommendation by many, but I don't believe it is a requirement. Human trafficking is a serious problem, but I don't see closed loop cruises as being a viable means of doing that. 

Someone in our group on a group cruise a few years ago was asked at embarkation. They ended up getting the permission faxed. Delayed their boarding a bit. It wasn’t that they could not get permission. That had not documented it. So it is best to have it just in case. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Human trafficking isn't the issue. Interference with custody is. As in parents have shared custody and one wants to take the child away to live with just them. And yes, a closed loop cruise could certainly be used for this. Just get off at one of the stops and board a plane flying somewhere else. 

Edited by sanger727

30 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Human trafficking isn't the issue. Interference with custody is. As in parents have shared custody and one wants to take the child away to live with just them. And yes, a closed loop cruise could certainly be used for this. Just get off at one of the stops and board a plane flying somewhere else. 

Like that wouldn't get flagged in the system so as soon as you land you are pulled out of the line. There are far easier ways to do that (like, just getting on a plane at you home airport and flying off to somewhere else...or even just jump in the car and drive).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Someone in our group on a group cruise a few years ago was asked at embarkation. They ended up getting the permission faxed. Delayed their boarding a bit. It wasn’t that they could not get permission. That had not documented it. So it is best to have it just in case. 

I agree that it is something that is best to have.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 1:24 AM, erikardh999 said:

Call the cruise line you are looking to travel with.  They can give you the most accurate and definitive answer.